[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why would anyone want to buy or use ThinkPads? >Incredibly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 15
File: t420.jpg (195 KB, 944x900) Image search: [Google]
t420.jpg
195 KB, 944x900
Why would anyone want to buy or use ThinkPads?

>Incredibly overpriced when new
>Shitty screens
>Poor battery life
>Comes with clunky Windows as standard, can't opt out
>Terrible touchpad with no buttons
>Heavy
>Plastic chips and cracks when dropped
>Speakers are unusable
>>
sage.
>>
Everyone who shills for them on /g/ buy them used
>Shitty screens
Debatable
>Poor battery life
Thats because the battery is small as fuck
You can install whatever OS you want
Your picture literally has buttons
>Heavy
Not really
and the roll cage on the inside protects the components
>Speakers are unusable
Most laptop speakers suck
>>
>with no buttons
idiot

but yeah the trackpad is kind of shitty
>>
what do you suggest op ?
>>
>>52346770
>Shitty screens
Debatable

Are you seriously defending the 1366x768 TN shit that Lenovo uses
>>
>>52346925
Nah, just shitposting
>>
>>52345288
>>Comes with clunky Windows as standard, can't opt out

Shows Unity right on the screen fagget.

SAGE
>>
>>52346770
>buying used computers
Enjoy your cum and pubes covered keyboard lol
>>
>>52346972
>not checking the laptop for visible jizz stains before handing over the money
>>
>>52345288
well I own a t420, let me comment..

Agreed
>Shitty screens
Viewing angles could be better desu
>Poor battery life
I disagree, it's depends how concious you are about power consumption when using battery. You wouldn't want to game on battery or stream movies with full brightness, running neccesary processes, etc.
you can opt out, but your options are limited
touchpad is great imo, but the textured sticker is easily wearable and feels way awkward at first experience.
>Heavy
Not at all, unless your full skeleton mode, they're as heavy as 1 inch thick text book.
I'd agree, you really wouldn't want to drop this thing, but you wouldn't want to drop any laptop in general regardless of it's rigiddity
>Speakers are unusable
Not the greatest desu, I'd agree, my old dell inspirion 1520 had much louder speakers than my t420

They're the best price for performance when buying refurbished imo, not different than a Dell or HP, but largely enjoy the aesthetics of the simple matte black mysterious look.
>>
>>52346972
that's why you buy refurbished from a reputable site.
>>
>>52345288
What model are you talking about OP?
>>
When I was looking for a laptop Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14 was best bang for the buck laptop with 1080p touchscreen, at least on paper(http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/yoga-series/yoga-14/#tab-features) . Then I read reviews on amazon (there were too many) about the defects on them like it turning off when lifting laptop. I wanted it so bad for its keyboard, GPU and Yoga style hinges. Now I am getting an Asus Zenbook.
>>
>>52345310
>>52346917
these
>>
>>52345288

>>Incredibly overpriced when new
Yes. But latest thinkpads suck anyway

>>Shitty screens
Debatable

>>Poor battery life
What? maybe you got one with a tiny battery. There are big ones that last 8+ hours

welcome to 2016, Windows is standard. And you can install whatever OS you want later.

>>Terrible touchpad with no buttons
>not using the clit mouse

>>Heavy
X series isn't. and T series is just as heavy as your average laptop.

>>Plastic chips and cracks when dropped
just like any other laptop? and parts have special protection.

>>Speakers are unusable
you either have a water-resistant laptop or decent sound. Can't have both.
>>
>>52345288
Doesn't specify Lenovo or IBM thinkpads.
I have a Twist and it's great for a replacement for a tablet, but the build quality is terrible and i've already cracked the plastic on it from use. The IBM ones were superior for their time, there's definitely a different feel with the Lenovo, but the keyboard is great and the touchscreen is responsive and the only honest gripe I have is the weird touchpad.
>>
>>52347183
>>not using the clit mouse
How to get used to it? Can it be better than a mouse? It seems to me that hardly so. How can a single finger provide better control than holding a mouse with the whole hand (i.e. using multiple fingers and the wrist for very fine and precise control)? Also, the mouse can be moved in the plane without any real resistance, while the trackpoint has its own peculiar resistance/sensitivity which gets in the way.

tl;dr please explain how and why you feel the trackpoint is the ultimate pointing device (specifically how it would be superior to a mouse) and how to learn to use it to its fullest potential, thanks.
>>
>>52347286
index finger of whatever hand you use the most: exclusive clit mouse control

thumb of that same hand: one mouse button

thumb of other hand: other mouse button

any thumb/index of other hand: middle mouse button when scrolling and opening new tabs when browsing.

I've been using it like that since the 90's, when other laptops also had clit mouses (Toshiba Portege for instance). I literally can't use a touchpad only laptop without freaking out for it's jumpy cursor, annoying feeling on my finger, etc. I'll never understand why touchpads became the standard over wheels and clit mouses.
>>
>>52347286
It's an acquired skill, equivalent to using a trackball.
>>
File: TrackballPB145.jpg (43 KB, 216x128) Image search: [Google]
TrackballPB145.jpg
43 KB, 216x128
>>52347286
I meant ball mouses, not wheels.
>>
>>52347286
Just fucking use it.
>>
>>52345288
>>Incredibly overpriced when new
True, but anything else with even close to the same features and quality will cost about the same.
>>Shitty screens
Depends on the model
>>Poor battery life
Well memed but you're wrong. I get nine hours on my X220 and three-year-old 9-cell.
Yea but everything does except Macs which come with something just as bad.
>>Terrible touchpad with no buttons
Use the trackpoint. "No buttons" depends on the model, again.
>>Heavy
Maybe a little. Not heavy enough to bother me. Are you a fuccboi manlet?
>>Plastic chips and cracks when dropped
Depends on the model. Most other laptops become broken and unusable after dropping.
>>Speakers are unusable
>Using laptop speakers

2/10 made me answer. I suppose you advocate Apple products instead?
>>
>>52346770
actually, i bought my x1 hybrid brand new for 800 bucks. it was an extremely good deal considering that normally it's 2 grand
>>
>>52347392
Thanks for suggestions concerning the finger placement. Still, the main issue seems to be being able to attain a similar level of control precision over cursor movement as is possible with a mouse.
>>
File: 20160110_111948.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160110_111948.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>>52347023
Holy crackers dude are you me?
I agree with the inspiron having louder speakers, problem is that one of the speakers on mine sounds like absolute shit at over 40% volume.
>>
Well I got a Thinkpad X1 Carbon 3rd Gen for Christmas because my family isn't poor so I have no complaints about it. Works awesome, looks nice too
>>
>>52345288

>don't buy new you CucK
>screen is shitty
>battery life is okay
>windoze for werk
>touchpad i never use
>heavy... if you're not a man
>plastic chips... what... magnesium-alloy endoskel
>speakers are low volume but i use headfones

its also very reliable
>>
>>52347628
is it sexy
>>
i've been using the same thinkpad for nearly six years. never once had any problem, and it still runs like a dream. only negative is burn in, but that's my fault.
>>
>>52349059
>burn in
What has "burned in" specifically?
>>
>>52349123
burn-in
ˈbərnin/
noun
damage to a computer or television screen, caused by being left on too long.
a reliability test in which a device is switched on for a long time.
>>
>>52345288
I like the overall look and the trackpoint but they are extremely overrated, especially by /g/. It also makes me cringe when they buy a used C2D or Pentium M and claim it is better than an i7 because the designer was inspired by a bento box or some shit. I owned one of the IBM ones and was not impressed by it at all. I do miss it in retrospect but it still wasn't really that good. My first computer that belonged to me was that Thinkpad so I should have some emotional attachment to them.

>>52347286
Mouse > Trackball > Trackpoint >>>> Touchpad
>>
True
>Shitty screens
Also true, but even good screens are pointless on Windows because 99% of software doesn't support hiDPI modes.
>Poor battery life
True
True, false.
True
>Heavy
True - don't even get me started on the power brick.
False, of all plastic laptops ThinkPads are probably the best made. They don't feel weak, but they are too thick and too heavy.
>Speakers are unusable
Also true.
>>
>>52349384
To me it's not really about them being so great but everything else being so shit.
Back in the IBM days HP and Dell made some decent stuff, too. ThinkPad was the last one to adopt the new crapiness. Might otherwise as well use the fattest Precision or some Toshiba business book thing now, but TrackPoint is still good.
>>
>>52345288
xD funny forced hand meme
>>
File: f229899328.gif (197 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
f229899328.gif
197 KB, 480x270
>>52345288
Its a conspiracy by the chinese. They want every capable tech nerd to use thinkpads instead of reliable workstations so they shill thinkpads in here.
>>
File: Toshiba_Satellite_200CDT.jpg (1 MB, 2225x2365) Image search: [Google]
Toshiba_Satellite_200CDT.jpg
1 MB, 2225x2365
You know what, Thinkpad users? You know what was the toughest laptop design ever? The original Toshiba Satellite and Tecra. Too bad Toshiba went down the toilet.
>>
File: getac2ba790.jpg (42 KB, 675x636) Image search: [Google]
getac2ba790.jpg
42 KB, 675x636
>>52349477
>ever
uh, nah
>>
>>52345288
All of this is untrue
>fairly priced ($999 standard)
>ips and OLED screens
>can opt for Linux by default
>2015 and 2016 trackpad are literally the best in the business + God tier trackpoint and buttons
>thinkpads literally have the best battery life of any pc in their high end models
>lenovo literally makes the lightest laptop in the world, thinkpad x260, thinkpad 13, and x1 carbon are lighter than the MacBook pro 13
>speakers on T series are great.
Also
>not using headphones
I love troll threads
>>
>>52349596
I forget the entire "rugged" segment of the market. For a mass market "mainstream" laptop the old Toshibas were pretty tanky. More than the stinkpad at least.
>>
>>52349596
>folds up into a suitcase
Cool laptop Ahmed
>>
File: 1385429322775.gif (3 MB, 660x266) Image search: [Google]
1385429322775.gif
3 MB, 660x266
>>52345288
Who the fuck buys new thinkpads
>Shitty screens
Depends on the model
>Poor battery life
Don't use aftermarket shit batteries dummy.
Regardless, you can install linux anyway. What's your point?
There's buttons right there you fucking doofus.
>Heavy
Grow some muscle, you skeleton with a fleshcoat.
If you had those muscles you wouldn't drop it, Susie McSissy.
>Speakers are unusable
Yes that's why we have all these fucking headphone threads.

0/10 this thread fucking sucks, fuck you autistic cunts.
>>
File: benis.png (6 KB, 419x249) Image search: [Google]
benis.png
6 KB, 419x249
I don't understand why people are saying this is a troll thread. OP is at least partially right, some of the thinkpad users agree but say that breaking plastic and shit speakers aren't a problem, and you should only buy a used 2007 model. Is the thinkpad sacred here for some reason? It's almost reached apple status for unwarranted devotion.
>>
>>52349961
Some ebay dealers for used thinkpads started shilling them on /g/ a few years ago, and people fell for them for some reason.
>>
>>52349961
OP is wrong in half the things he says and only half right in the rest. Breaking plastic is a problem in every laptop unless not made of plastic in which case denting metal or shattering glass is. Shit speakers are only a problem if you use laptop speakers to begin with and if you do, you aren't in a position to whine about sound quality. You shouldn't buy a used 2007 model, but rather a used 2011 model.

ThinkPad's status is because it's a common business-grade laptop with (historically) excellent serviceability and keyboard. These factors have made it affordable and attractive for tech-literate users.

Today? Not quite as much. It's still better bang for the buck than consumer laptops and some of its niches are still appreciated, but the new models aren't worth the devotion. You'll see many of the TP fans are fans of the pre-2012 models anyway.
>>
>>52350130
>5 cents have been deposited into your ebay shilling account!
>>
>>52349477
>Grey 90s Satellite
Enjoy your cracked hinges m8.
>>
File: noway.png (395 KB, 575x429) Image search: [Google]
noway.png
395 KB, 575x429
>Buying used tech products
>>
File: 1391967039718.jpg (5 KB, 187x268) Image search: [Google]
1391967039718.jpg
5 KB, 187x268
>>52347023
>2016
>Still saying desu unironically
>>
>>52350180
>overpaying for outdated tech
>>
>>52350209
>being this new
baka senpai desu
>>
>>52350209
seemed ironic to me
>>
File: drake.jpg (47 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
drake.jpg
47 KB, 640x480
>>52350218
>Being poor
>>
Because they're cheap used.

>>52346770
>>Shitty screens
>Debatable
Not really. ThinkPads have some pretty awful screens, even compared to consumershit. Even their IPS displays have washed out colors and shitty contrast.
My T520 had a WIDE GAMUT TN PANEL, and my T410 had STATIC DITHERING. Think about that for a second.
>>
>>52350262
Is the IPS screen on the X240 better than the usual consumer screens?
>>
>>52350615
Not sure, but if it's any similar to the X220 IPS then it's about as washed out as a TN panel, just with far better viewing angles.
>>
I have a W540 from work, and I dislike it. It's fast and the keyboard is good, but there are so many poor aspects to it for such an expensive product.
>>
It absolutely blows my mind that any company thinks that 1366x768 TN shit is remotely acceptable on anything larger than 10", especially on business machines. 1600x900 is the bare minimum for 13" and 1080 is the bare minimum for 15". This is inarguable and companies that do otherwise are entirely indefensible.
>>
>>52345288
it's a meme you dip
>>
>>52346925
my t61 came stock with a wxga+ screen
>>
>>52351969
I actually like 1366x768 because I can get away with gaming on slightly worse hardware. I don't like 1080p on smaller screens anyway. I almost thought about a 1080p thinkpad because it had the GPU I wanted but I got a Dell instead and I've been happy with it.
>>
>>52352217
I hate it on 13"+ screens because the pixels are huge (low PPI) and there's a glut of horizontal space while vertical space is anemic. It's so awkward.

Intel integrated and even the shittiest APU can handle 1080p in stride as long as you're not playing games or memesmooth animu with MadVR, so I don't see bad graphics as an excuse for a shitty screen.
>>
>>52351969
1080p is the minimum on 10 inch screens, 13+ inches should be at least 1440p. And TN in any way, shape, or form on a device over $200 is inexcusable.
>>
File: 1452221226999.jpg (46 KB, 540x465) Image search: [Google]
1452221226999.jpg
46 KB, 540x465
>>52347286
>>
>>52346925
Currently posting from a T420 with a 1600x900 screen. Wont defend the colours though.
>>
>>52346925
I mean I'm on an x220T. I'd love a higher resolution but colors are fine as far as I'm concerned.

When I need a new laptop though, I might get a Dell XPS. Those are probably the best on the market desu
>>
File: IMG_20160106_013021[2].jpg (2 MB, 2268x4000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160106_013021[2].jpg
2 MB, 2268x4000
I've been using thinkpads on and off during my life, never thought much about them, because when I was younger a laptop was a laptop. For a long time, the only laptops I had used where thinkpads. Every thinkpad I've ever used has been some kind of an old outdated model, usually running a bloated windows and not enough ram. Add to that the horribly slow HDD, my experience has never been very excellent.

However, since maybe 2012, I haven't really used a thinkpad, but many random laptops. They all have become increasingly shit to type on. I have kind of swayed away from laptop useage because they are so nasty to rype on. Almost everything has been desgined with this apple-like obsession to make the keyboard as slim and numb as possible, as if that's what people want.

Just a few weeks ago I got this T60 for free. I installed Arch on it and that involved some typing. That's when I realised, that these old thinkpads are absolutely brilliant to use. The keyboard is fantastic for a laptop even when it's old and used. The touchpad is decent and using the clitball is in some cases comfortable. I like the rugged surface of it, the latch lock and pretty much everything about its design. It's as far from an apple-product as it's possible, it's square and edgy and it doesn't feel very refined, it feels like business.

For the computer I was given 4gb of ram (3gb of which the poorfag model I have can use), for using arch with KDE it's brilliant. The awful HDD slows it down quite a bit but that is replaceable with a small SSD for shits and giggles and I'm sure with that I could do with everyday use. There's large support for these, parts are cheap and everything is easy to work on. These are piss cheap used so instead of spending good money on a new laptop, I'd be fine with getting one these for next to nothing, or in my case, free, and spending $80 on a chinese battery and small SSD.

Useful little things which are surprisingly capable.
>>
>>52345288
>overpriced when new
More like the right price you penny scumming jew.
The whole point of buying ThinkPads used is 'cause they're fucking cheap, not because they're "the right price."
>>
>>52345288
this pic is accurate most thinkpads i see need new keyboards cause their users literally shit on their hands and dont wash before typing.

that said they are mostly fine. hard to find the durability even chinkpads have fewer screen issues then macs even if the image is not as good
>>
>>52353784
They're only cheap because no one else is stupid enough to want one.
>>
>>52353463
This. Colors are bad + viewing angle is probably the worst I've ever experienced on a screen. Still like my t420 though. Was worth the money
>>
>>52353895
>>52353937
>>
>>52345288
Then what is a good computer, cunt?
>>
>>52346925
stop buying shitty budget models then you dumb faggot

my t43p has a 1600x1200 IPS display
>>
>>52354099
Dell XPS 13, Latitudes, Precision.
Not made of shitty fucking plastic and has godly small bezels.
>>
>>52345288
you do know there's more than one thinkpad model, right?
>>
>butthurt macfags can't handle memes being made of them they use the memes themselves
ayy lmao bruh
>>
They're the same price as comparable business laptops
>Shitty screens
The W520 has a FHD 95% NTSC screen, modern Thinkpads have higher res screens and comparable gamuts as options
>Poor battery life
You get 6 hours out of a new 6 cell on a T420, the 9 cells last quite more, and if you're insane you can fit one with Ultrabay slice and 9 cell to get some 30 hours of battery life
It does, but it's easily the best supported laptop by any *nix OS
It has 2 buttons and some other 3 buttons just above, along with meme gestures support
>Heavy
All of them has always been lightweight
Never seen this happen
>Speakers are unusable
As in any laptop
>>52350262
The screens in the T4*0 were godawful, but the screens in the other series were pretty nice, also you can replace the panel of the T420/30 to the one of the X1, which is superior to the MBA
The contrast of the IPS panels is equal or superior to the one of the MBA, and everything in the W series panels is really superior to anything Apple has ever put in their laptops
>My T520 had a WIDE GAMUT TN PANEL
Do you even know what wide gamut means? It something good you tard
>my T410 had STATIC DITHERING
As pretty much any panel does, most panels are 6 bit panels that do dithering to get 8 bit colors
>>
>>52354656
>everything in the W series panels is really superior to anything Apple has ever put in their laptops
what is retina display?
>>
>>52354774
>what is retina display?
They barely covered 60% of sRGB when the W520 did roughly 90% of AdobeRGB, which is about twice as big as sRGB, the only advantage the Retina displays had back then was a higher resolution
Nowadays rMBP's are able to do 88% of AdobeRGB, meanwhile the W550 does about the same, both have about the same resolution
>>
>>52355223
My rMBP has amazing viewing angles and next to no backlight bleed, which I feel are also mentionable.
>>
File: dell.jpg (35 KB, 468x408) Image search: [Google]
dell.jpg
35 KB, 468x408
>>52345288
Absolutely
>Shitty screens
Don't pay attention, okay I guess but nothing special
>Poor battery life
IDK, seems fine
you can get them with Loonix
Yeah but you have the trackpoint at least
>Heavy
I would say weight is okay, not bad, I kind of like heavy though
Holy fuck yes. Noticed this more on thinkpads than any other laptop.
>Speakers are unusable
Most laptops have shitty speakers nowadays

Maybe OP has a point, I don't prefer thinkpads but they are overrated. I got pic related for 360 bucks and the only thing I can bitch about is the glossy screen.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.