[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trackball thread: blue balls edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 12
File: orbit.jpg (18 KB, 350x265) Image search: [Google]
orbit.jpg
18 KB, 350x265
There were two trackball threads last night. Does anyone still use these? I got two out of the closet and I am now using them instead of my regular mouse again.
>>
>>52333870
I use then but I don't think the technology moves fast enough to merit another thread
>>
>>52334001
It's not about that really. Mouse tech isn't really changing either.
>>
File: trackballs.jpg (483 KB, 1600x1364) Image search: [Google]
trackballs.jpg
483 KB, 1600x1364
>>52333870
I liek trackballs
>>
>>52335294
I had the blue ball Orbit and sold it when I wanted to start using regular mice again. Now I am back to the inferior silver/black Orbit and the Logitech Marble.
>>
what's the biggest thumb-trackball mouse? currently using that logitech wireless one and it's a little small. wrist is perfectly fine, but the pain just shifted up my hand into my palm/knuckles...
>>
Is a trackball actually any good or is it just one of those /g/ memes again?

I remember the trackball on a 486 laptop I used once was awful.
>>
File: QC4dGzi.jpg (724 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
QC4dGzi.jpg
724 KB, 2592x1944
>>52335378
Microsoft Trackball Optical.
It stopped being made over a decade ago and it's quite hard to find in good condition (also, it's DPI, while good in 2000, is no longer sufficient)
>>
>>52335406
It has some advantages (takes less space, can be used on any surface, less wrist strain), but for some people it's hard to impossible to get used to it.
Also, from my experience, while a trackball allows me to be move the cursor very fast or very precisely, I can't do both at the same time. So not very good for FPS games. (But great for everything else.) But that might be just me being a retard, I know a few people who own me in games while using Logitech M570.
Also, the early (non-optical) trackballs were often pretty awful, especially the ones on laptops. They were just the shittiest, cheapest pieces of shit ever made. I had the one in pic some time in the late 90s and, while the shape was quite comfortable, the ball was twitchy, not precise, slow, and it would get dirty extremely fast, required cleaning every 2 hours. And the ones in laptops were usually even worse than that.
>>
>>52335347
The blue orbit is quite nice for its price, I got it when I wanted to start using trackballs again (after 5 years with normal mice). I soon replaced it with Kensington Slimblade, but I think the Orbit has the best quality/price ratio from all finger trackballs
>>
>>52335551
I do pretty good on FPS games with a trackball. The ambidextrous finger kind like the Logitech Marble and Kensington Orbit is the best.
>>
>>52333870
Currently using L-Trac and a Kensington Expert Mouse (KEM). I prefer the feel of the KEM but the L-Trac needs less maintenance.
>>
>>52335294
>wireless trackball
For what purpose?
>>
>>52335679
It would be useful for an HTPC.
>>
File: trackball.jpg (2 MB, 4128x3096) Image search: [Google]
trackball.jpg
2 MB, 4128x3096
Got this in a box of old stuff i got recently, old PS/2 port.

Been using it all night, and I actually like it. I think if i got a newer one i'd like it a lot. I also got another one in the box, which was newer and wireless but i don't like it at all. The ball's smaller, on the side, and it's shaped almost like a normal mouse.

Accuracy is what i'm having the hardest time getting used to. I think the ball would probably roll smoother on a newer one though. Although, this one still glides smoothly, it has slight inaccuracy making it hard to do fine movements like resizing windows.
>>
>>52335294
Holy shit, optical track balls are a thing? GTFO! GTFO RIGHT NOW! SINCE WHEN ARE OPTICAL TRACK BALLS A THING? I was just going to shitpost about how track balls are shit but HOLY FUCK, OPTICAL TRACK BALLS EXIST?
>>
>>52336405
this is (IMO) the most comfortable/ergonomic trackball anyone has ever made. Sadly, it hasn't been made in over 15 years and we'll probably never see a successor, since Logitech lost a patent lawsuit over that wrist rest thingy.
And yeah, the sensor is really old so there are problems with accuracy, also the default y axis is at an angle and you need the original logitech software (which doesn't work on modern operating systems) to set it to your liking - so that also makes pointing a bit more difficult.
If anyone makes an updated version of this (good sensor, added scroll wheel, maybe better bearings - but the same shape), I'll personally buy 5 and hoard them for the future.
>>
>>52335679
wired for desktop, wireless for laptop
>>
File: trackball2.jpg (150 KB, 774x1032) Image search: [Google]
trackball2.jpg
150 KB, 774x1032
>>52336485
Yeah, the shape is extremely comfortable and is the reason i'm still using it and trying to get used to it. It's really nice for lazy browsing, don't have to move your hand or anything.

This is the other one i've got, and i don't really like at all. It's way too light, and i feel myself trying to move it like a normal mouse all the time. It's just uncomfortable.
>>
>>52336460
>SINCE WHEN ARE OPTICAL TRACK BALLS A THING?
Since mid 90s?
>>
I cannot stand the thumb ones.
>Looks like a regular mouse about to lay an egg out of its cloaca
>Only your most clumsy finger controls the ball
>Asymmetrical (I like regular mice to be symmetrical)
>thumb gets sore
>only cheap one is wireless
>>
File: glorious leader.jpg (128 KB, 970x546) Image search: [Google]
glorious leader.jpg
128 KB, 970x546
Daily reminder that one day, the first nuke in World War III will be launched using a trackball.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (339 KB, 1600x1309) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
339 KB, 1600x1309
>>52333870
>>
>>52337126
This looks straight of that god awful baby geniuses film.
>>
>>52336405
Using this for a bit longer, i feel if they could have figured out some way to make the trackball click, but with some effort so it didn't accidentally click, it'd be perfect. I find myself trying to click it a lot when trying to open things.

That being said, i actually think it's going to be my new go to mouse for my spare / old system builds.
>>
File: LTracGlowBacklitTrackballBack.jpg (25 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
LTracGlowBacklitTrackballBack.jpg
25 KB, 800x600
>>52336460
Not only are there optical trackballs! There are also some that have transparent balls that let the laser shine through.

http://www.amazon.com/CST2545-5W-Ambidextrous-Performance-Ergonomic-Trackball/dp/B00YI07MC2
>>
>>52338188
>Ergonomic
I feel like this word lost all meaning in the last decade
>>
>>52338204
it's like "organic" for computer peripherals
>>
>>52338188
That doesn't look comfortable at all.
>>
>>52338266
I have one (minus the glowball), and it feels a little awkward for the first day or so, but then you find the right position to hold your hand in and it becomes so comfy you forget it's there.
>>
>>52338300
Now i have to ask, do you, or anyone here, game with these things? Using this Logitech one for browsing is fine and all, and it feels really nice. However trying to game with it, is a completely different story.

That being said, i've heard of people using these things to play FPS with, and i just couldn't imagine it.

Completely unrelated, the ball is fun to play with when watching videos or not doing anything.
>>
>>52338385
I don't do first person shooters on my computer often (usually PS4) but I do play WoW from time to time with it, and that includes PvP which requires a lot of movement.

I think trackballs could actually work pretty well for FPS because of their extreme accuracy (at least for the better quality ones) and the reduced motion needed to get your cursor across the screen. After using it for a while you develop a precise muscle memory that will allow you to fling the to exactly where you want it to be, similar to how mouse players do the same except with their entire arm instead of just a few hand muscles.
>>
>>52336613
I definitely used a classic non-optical trackball from probably the early 90s. What an awful experience
>>
>>52338385
You can play very well at FPS games but you have to get used to it. It takes practice for sniping, etc.
>>
>>52338443
>>52338545
I could see it.

Just not sure if i could get used to it after 15 odd years of PC gaming with a normal mouse.

Played lots of WoW pvp, certainly don't think i could do it with a trackball.
>>
File: trackball art.png (5 KB, 297x338) Image search: [Google]
trackball art.png
5 KB, 297x338
The Orbit has a seemingly lower speed tolerance than the Logitech. If you spin the ball right very fast you get something interesting like this.
>>
>>52338741
you'll flop around like a fish for a while, but that's standard territory for anything new. well worth it imo, especially in this case since it'll help prevent the onset of carpal tunnel
>>
>>52338923
Pretty sure i'm already there.

For the past 15 years or so, i've spent at minimum 8 hours a day on a computer.

Might try it out though, my main pc does have a PS/2 port, and i think i have a PS/2 to USB converter laying around somewhere.
>>
I'll add another recommendation for the Kensington Expert.

Oh, and advice for those who are new to trackballs: whenever you clean the ball, roll it around in your hands a bit (make sure they are clean, obviously) before putting it back in. This may seem counterintuitive, but modern trackballs actually utilize the oils from skin contact for lubrication. If you put it back in dry, it won't perform as well until you've used it a bit.

>>52338953
Switching to a trackball did wonders for my hand/wrist. It takes getting used to, but it's definitely better once you've adjusted.
>>
>>52339162
I have a question.

Are there any newer trackball mice similar in shape and design to >>52336405?
>>
Does anyone know if the elecom mice work on Linux? I would like to get the M-XT3DRBK but am not sure about compatiblity...
>>
File: 71dZriHMJJL._SL1500_.jpg (206 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
71dZriHMJJL._SL1500_.jpg
206 KB, 1500x1500
Should I get pic related? I really want the scroll wheel

I've been using Logitech tracman and a Microsoft Explorer for years, but I feel like its time to upgrade.
>>
>>52338741
>>52338385
Try this game, there are also many other flash games for testing/practicing your mouse aim and reflexes.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/shoot
>>
>>52339667
Never used an Expert but I just upgraded from an Orbit to a Slimblade and like it a lot. You scroll by turning the ball like a dial and it works nicely once you get used to it.
>>
>>52339857
>http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/shoot
Thanks, i like it.

Also, a blast to the past. Remember playing albinoblacksheep stuff a while back.
>>
>>52339667
I'm using one. The scroll wheel is actually kind of bad.
>>
>>52339956
This is my experience as well. It's dry/scratchy and doesn't always scroll when moved. It's weird.
>>
>>52339857
Get about 75-80 (81 max) on a normal mouse and 41 highest on the trackball.

That being said, i'm almost quite drunk. Like it though, might try again when sober.
>>
>>52340037
77 first try on Kensington. Did worse afterwards but my hands started getting really shaky and nervous. I think it does well enough though,
>>
>>52340174
Curious to see if i can do better when sober.

I have the same problem though when testing things. I've been trying for years to get above 100wpm for example. I can almost always get around 95-105, but after 1 or 2 tries i get super shaky and can't do nearly as well.
>>
>>52339277
Don't know of any that are just like that. Most of them are either symmetric, or put the ball on the thumb side (which is a horrible place for it, IMO).

>>52339956
>>52340022
It does get better over time (as far as I can tell, there's just some burrs that need to wear down). After a year or so of use, I find it to be serviceable, if nothing special. That's the only thing I miss from my mouse. I had a Logitech M500 and the scroll wheel on that was GODLY.
>>
>>52340203
I wonder. I have reached the highest rank before on that game (I think 85-87 was my peak) and I could score that well with a mouse and trackball. I don't remember if it was the Kensington or Logitech though. The one game you will NEVER be able to play with a trackball is osu!. Seriously, don't even try it. Most of the people who play it are weebs, but I enjoy playing rock songs on that game. From what I can ascertain, both have good sensors (no angle snapping or prediction) but the Kensington really cuts out if you roll the ball too fast, it also jiggles out of place sometimes.
>>
I would like to mention as well, that my trackball makes a magnificent spin top. If you take this thing out of the mouse and spin it around, it goes for seemingly ever.
>>
how's the telecom compared to a good old logitech trackman marble? I love mine but no scroll wheel, and kinda faulty right click is getting tiring
>>
>>52340665
>faulty right click
Pretty sure i've been using this same mouse all night, right click's been working fine. Curious as to what you mean by faulty right click?
>>
>>52340738
The button doesn't stay pressed if you hold it down. It's important for muh video games and not double-right-clicking randomly. It's probably just the circuitry deteriorating
>>
>>52340738
>>52340764
I mean, it used to be fine. But it's like 6 years old
>>
>>52333870

Yes, for office work and shit posting

I have an Elecom RF model

Just as good as my old M570 but the scroll wheel bounces, which is super annoying, and the switch for right click isn't stiff enough. We'll need to replace.
>>
That looks like the other robot from Wall E
>>
>>52340253
Now I am in the low-mid 80s with the G100s. Maybe trackballs are shit. I consider accuracy to be the ultimate test of a pointing device, so maybe there is a good reason why I stuffed the trackballs in the closet. They aren't bad though.
>>
>>52341711
88 now. I think the problem with trackballs is that the long throws are too difficult/inaccurate compared to a regular mouse.
>>
>>52338516
The first optical one was afaik Logitech Trackman Marble from 1996. But it took a few years until most manufacturers started making only optical trackballs (There were still a few mechanical ones made in early 2000s... There are even a few made now, but for industrial purposes)
>>
File: Elecom M-DT2URBK.jpg (67 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Elecom M-DT2URBK.jpg
67 KB, 800x800
>>52339277
There's only one modern non-symmetric finger trackbal (Elecom M-DT2DRBK or M-DT2URBK ) but it's a lot smaller than the old ones - it was designed for asian sized hands. If you have fairly small hands, it's ok. If they're even a bit bigger than average, it will not be comfortable.
>>
>>52339956
you can easily mod it to work a lot smoother - open the trackball and remove a small magnet from the scroll ring assembly
>>
>>52338188
I wish I wasn't too poor for this.
>>
>>52333870
I've been looking into getting a trackball that I can control with my fingers rather than my thumb.

Is there anything particularly recommended, preferably under £40?
>>
>>52344010
Kensington Orbit for you.
>>
>>52344134
Thanks.

On second thoughts, as a person completely new to trackballs, do you think that the accuracy of the thumb vs fingers has much difference?

I see a lot of trackballs that seem to be intended for thumb use.
>>
>>52344010
In that price range it's one of these:

>Logitech Trackman Marble
(a bit more comfortable shape, 4 buttons, but no scroll wheel),

>Kensington Orbit with scroll ring
(Good scrolling, but a bit flatter shape and only 2 buttons. You can set pressing 2 buttons together to act as 3rd button but that's it)
>>
>>52344242
it's all a matter of personal preference. I can't get used to thumb trackballs even though I tried a lot, but some people love them and even use them to play FPS games, so they must be quite accurate.
Maybe that's because my thumbs are not well trained, it would probably be different if I used analog pads a lot as a kid, but I always only played games on PC using mouse+keyboard so my thumbs are clumsy
>>
>>52344286
>>52344313
Thanks, I think I'll go with the Orbit.
>>
>>52344377
Good choice.
Just make sure it's the one with scroll ring and blue ball, not the one with gray ball - that one's useless.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.