[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Computer Science?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (101 KB, 762x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101 KB, 762x300
What is being a computer scientist like? I'm thinking about switching majors.
>>
It's like Dilbert.
>>
>>52264765
Damn, you just made me feel old.
>>
>>52264740
Like getting a job after graduation.
>>
>>52264740
If you want an approximation of what interesting things you'd end up studying...

It really depends on your uni and the classes you take, but you could get a sample of the potential content by:
-reading a bit from the beginning of SICP
-reading a bit from whatever algorithms and data structures book(s) /g/ is currently recommending
-looking at the content of your 3rd year CS operating systems course (the one where you implement parts of a basic OS as coursework)

If you find the ideas expressed by the above interesting, then maybe you'll like CS.

If you're more interested in what it's like working in a related job after grad, it really depends on where you end up working.
>>
Depressing
>>
>>52264740
>laying xbox live IN A JET with your best friends and business partners, all on your way to another country where you are about to go and make more money.

apparently...

>>52260953
>>
Don't even think about computer science until you have mastered ARCH Linux.
>>
its just math don' tfall for it
>>
>>52267949
if you want to design operating systems, arch linux is a pretty good case study on how it should be done.
oh wait, sorry. i'm thinking about OS X.
>>
>>52264740
God tier.

I make plenty of money now and will make 70k-100k out of college being paid to hack systems. If things go bad, so can I by moving to Russia and making millions the easy way.

Computer science is also the only field that will not be eliminated by automation.
>>
>>52268060
are you that swineburn fag?
>>
Feels like chinese slave worker
Crimping rj45 is a fucking hell when you over 100+ workstations
>>
>>52268132
that's called "failing to graduate univeristy", not "computer science".
>>
CS is a shitty major unless you live a high tech demand area and willing to spend years studying your ass off and kissing ass to get noticed.
>>
>>52268163
no ass kissing required. just do some math, study, and don't take any bullshit from people who want to copy your homework.
haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate
>>
>>52268060
>Computer science is also the only field that will not be eliminated by automation

tell that to lady gaga, who is making more money than you ever will
>>
what are some good career choices if i dont wanna go to uni, taking into account apprenticeships (UK) and the like.

I really have no bloody clue anymore.
>>
>>52268198
you sound really hopeless, bro.

you probably didn't ever study on your own time, did you?

you were probably intimidated by math, and blame it all on the educator, and by extension, the scientific community for being stupid, not you - didn't you?
>>
>>52268220
>projecting this hard
please explain to me how ai will create art? you're not one of those delusional singularity/strong ai fags, are you?
>>
>>52268239
if you're argument is based around art, we really can't have a conversation.
>>
>>52268282
why not? please elaborate.
>>
>>52268294
not him, but i conjecture that for starters for people to appreciate art (ergo have success at art, something you clearly covet, since you mentioned lady gaga's wealth) is based on popularity.

while mathematical proofs, to gain recognition, and success, you only need to demonstrate that an idea is infallible, with the language of logic: mathematics.

something like that, anyway.
>>
>>52264740
Talk to your advisor about it. There is a lot of merit to studying computer science, but it doesn't have much application in a lot of modern programming because all of the CS nitty gritty is abstracted out by high level languages and libraries.

There are also some problems with how it's taught at most universities. It's hard for them to teach modern software engineering practices because most of the professors aren't modern software engineers, and those practices change rapidly. But computer science doesn't. So the software engineering you learn will likely be shit and out of date, but the computer science you learn will probably be good.

The CS concepts do come in handy when you get closer to the metal though. I work research and development in embedded systems, and I quickly regretted dropping out of my CS degree when I started the job. I ended up having to teach myself a lot of the CS stuff, and it was about as awful as you'd imagine.
>>
File: Edsger_Wybe_Dijkstra.jpg (297 KB, 1024x1365) Image search: [Google]
Edsger_Wybe_Dijkstra.jpg
297 KB, 1024x1365
>>52268349
>doesn't have much application
LOLOLOLOL

also, according to Amazon, and Leslie Lamport, people who understand, and use the theory are going to be in much higher demand as time goes on. we are in a period where distributed systems are rising to prominence. you cannot write code for a distributed system without it having a mathematical proof, because it's not a matter of if a bug is found that destroys data, but when it is found. Now you might say "well, our testing found no bugs" but that's because your sample size is too small.

The only way to prove there are no bugs in a system is to design it with mathematical proofs.

This is the essence of why everyone who doesnt know theory will be >>>/out/ of a job in the next 10-15 years.
>>
>>52268348
the thing is that art is not based purely on logic. unless you're talking about bruteforcing (lol), you will never see a machine create another star wars or a popular song. the guy i was responding to said that cs was the only field that would not be automated in the future, which is objectively wrong, until we have strong ai, which is likely to be physically impossible.
content creation is one of the largest industries in the world. there will be plenty of jobs for creative people
>>
>>52268378
ok, now you're just rambling. how about you run along read a book on mathematical logic? or just go home, you're drunk.
>>
>>52268392
>ad hominem
great discussion
>>
>>52268378
art is about reaching out to the lowest common denominator of a set of people, and getting them to transfer some of their wealth to you out of pity, or admiration, or because you made them feel good for a second.

mathematics is about making something that lasts forever.
>>
>>52268392
for the record, i'm currently doing my masters degree in artificial intelligence. logic course was the first year of my bachelors.
what do you know about the subject?
>>
>>52268408
>things that are untrue
well, if you wanna know...

the capitan says i got about 13 more hours on this flight
>>
>>52268060
>Computer science is also the only field that will not be eliminated by automation.

Did you mean: EE?
>>
File: 2016-01-06_135628_scrot.jpg (99 KB, 782x608) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-06_135628_scrot.jpg
99 KB, 782x608
>>52268423
nice try, though
>>
>>52268430
it will probably take strong AI before we are able to instantly calculate all of the universe's proofs. but woah, won't that be cool on the day that we do?

then everyone who studied mathematics will have a leg up on all the unenlightened plebs, like this goy over here >>52268408
>>
>>52268435
yawn. grades?

got a good lab at your institution? any goals?
>>
>>52268445
Things that won't happen in our lifetime, and not even that of our grand-grand-grand-grandchildren, the post.
>>
File: george lucas.jpg (33 KB, 224x317) Image search: [Google]
george lucas.jpg
33 KB, 224x317
>>52268367
This, a great deal of motivation for automated theorem proving, esp. for software like ACL2, is for proving that machines work as intended.
>>
File: 1422108525243.png (298 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
1422108525243.png
298 KB, 479x720
It's a worthless meme-degree for retards. All "computer scientists" end up working programming jobs and would have been better off with a software-engineering degree. The few who do actual computer science jobs could have just studied mathematics instead and take some CS courses.

Pic related: typical CS undergrad
>>
>>52268462
it's a top 100 university and i'm doing good, thank you.

after i finished my masters i'm doing a bachelors degree in cognitive science. my life goal is to develop a bci that let's record your thoughts, so we can better understand how the 'thinking' in the human brain works. i believe that a better understanding of the human brain is necessary before we can even attempt strong ai. i'm not that interested in autonomous systems, i'm interested in the mind and consciousness. sadly they took a different approach at my university, it's all about robots and drones, not an accurate simulation of the human brain.
>>
>>52268498
idk, take a look at MITFag (if he's not trolling)

>>52260953
>>
It's like installing Arch 10 times a day.
If that sounds euphoric to you you'll fit in.
>>
>>52268499
>after i finished my masters
>i'm doing a bachelors degree in cognitive science
What ? Does that mean you did 2 bachelors ? Where I am from, you need a bachelor to start a master degree.
>>
>>52268201
Heroin.
>>
>>52268528
i did a bachelors in ai and am currently doing my masters in ai. after i finished my masters degree in ai, i'm doing another bachelors in cogsci. so once i'm finished with that, i did two bachelors and one masters. i plan on studying at least until i'm 30, i already have enough money to survive and i only crave knowledge.
>>
>>52264740
90% of /g/ are people who either failed CS, failed college or they are working as code monkeys/system admins. Whole 4chan is like /b/ : "The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact."
You should not take any advice by people from 4chan.
>>
>>52268348
>>52268367
>>52268445

>Not knowing that Godel's incompleteness theorem and Turing's halting problem guarantee that there will never be an automated way to theoremize everything in mathematics.

This is what computer science is all about. If all you want to do is be a code monkey who make CRUD apps in MEME stack and earns 40-60k without tiring your brain too much then just go to a boot camp or something. I won't judge.

If you want to learn mathematics (discrete math, statistics) and the theory behind Computation (automata, AI, ML, philosophies of programming languages), as well as a wide range of applied computer science topics like networks, databases, distributed computation, HPC, low-level OS, compiler theory etc. so that you would become a much more effective software developer/architect, the type that pulls six figs in the Valley straight out of college, then you should do computer science.
>>
>>52268201
any serious replies anyone? would appreciate any help
>>
>>52268201
tech support at your local hardware store
>>
>>52265791
>looking at the content of your 3rd year CS operating systems course (the one where you implement parts of a basic OS as coursework)
Not op but
I don't think my college does that
I have a communications and operating systems class, but it's actually just communications systems and no operating system, except for a brief introduction to Android at the start of the semester
>>
>>52264765
This one OP.
>>
File: 1319143478108.jpg (33 KB, 297x450) Image search: [Google]
1319143478108.jpg
33 KB, 297x450
>>52268503

you probably shouldn't believe everything you read online, anon
>>
>>52268617
>as well as a wide range of applied computer science topics like networks, databases, distributed computation, HPC, low-level OS, compiler theory etc.
>this is somehow tied to CS

You will learn every single thing listed there in SE
>>
>>52264740
Nobody knows ITT, but if you want to know what being a codemonkey is like, this is the thread for you.
>>
>>52268556
>craves knowledge
>wastes time in uni

The only way to get knowledge is by doing something in the field. University can only teach you to memorize terms in textbooks
>>
>>52269655
Case in point: >>52269985
>>
>>52268556
That's not how it fucking works. Holy shit, at least try to make your story even remotely believable.
>>
>>52268435
>grand total of 2 relevant AI-related classes
SIDES!
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.