[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be an unemployed web developer/designer working on his portfolio
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Screenshot-1452041560.png (350 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-1452041560.png
350 KB, 1920x1080
>be an unemployed web developer/designer working on his portfolio
>spend many days trying to setup web development environment on windows with LAMP, python/virtualenvwrapper, node.js utilities, ruby-sass etc
>powershell and it's utilities and all the cygwin based unix enviorement emulators turn out to be unreliable/dysfunctional/disorganized garbage
>end up with pic related

That's poor man's OS X right there.

I just want to get a Mac already. They say it just works.

Why haven't you got a Mac, /g/? Are you a poor nigger like me?
>>
>>52258737
Just buy one then lol
>>
Anon, for fuck's sake, you're already using Ubuntu in a vm.

Just install ubuntu.

All of the joys of unix, plus decent package management
>>
>>52258764
no. i'm unemployed and poor so i must complain on /g/.

>>52258796
adobe software. i happen do designing on those occasions when i get some freelance work. i also use ms one note for project management and ms one drive for storing my projects on the c-c-c-c-c-cloud. i would be perfectly happy with ubuntu or fedora if they had these things.
>>
>>52258892
You can always try inkscape, although I get not wanting to leave behind some of the software you need for work.
It isn't hard to dual boot though, plenty of people here can help with that.
Just boot windows to use photoshop/illustrator and ubuntu to do web dev (or run illustrator in wine, pretty sure that works)

Also, if you want to get into web dev stuff you need to be using something along the lines of git/bzr/svn, really anything that gives you good revision control.

>ms drive will steal your soul.
>>
>>52258892
>>52258892
>i also use ms one note for project management and ms one drive for storing my projects on the c-c-c-c-c-cloud.
Things will be much easier and more convenient if you replace those tools with one of the dozens of tools out there that do the same thing better. The adobe software is harder to avoid, though.
>>
>>52258737
>web dev
>node.js

Killyourselftbhfam.
>>
>>52258892
I admit I'm a bit biased because I use inkscape quite a bit for work (ui/design type stuff), but I really think inkscape is worth a try.
At the very least it won't cost you anything and it's easy to install.

Here's a decent comparison (imo):
http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/publishing/articles/73024.aspx
>>
File: 1427901006253.jpg (97 KB, 1034x594) Image search: [Google]
1427901006253.jpg
97 KB, 1034x594
>node.js
>ruby-sass
>I just want to get a Mac already
>>
>>52258737
You are just too retarded, I have a perfectly working nginx, PHP, MySQL, hMailServer, and node.js on my everyday Windows machine.
>>
>>52258737
>on windows with LAMP
>>
>>52258737

I'm not sure why you're running X on your linux VM when you could just SSH into it.
>>
>>52259360
>You are just too retarded
Basically this. Have you considered other jobs like school janitor or appstore consultant?
>>
>>52259161
dual booting sucks. it's awful, it's mood killing to me.

are there any other alternatives to working with images/design other than inkscape, admittedly it's been years since i tried it and i'm frustrated as shit with osx.
>>
>>52258737
why not just import a LAMP stack VM from Turnkey Linux? You could have saved yourself hours of time.
>>
>>52259477
Krita? But I know Krita is more focused on illustrators though.

https://krita.org
>>
>>52258892
>not using based gimp and inkscape
why did you buy into the adobe meme
>>
You can't have LAMP on windows because the L stands for Linux.
>>
>>52259392
/thread
Op still being a faggot
>>
>>52258737

Why the fuck are you trying to write software on Windows?
Write code on the same platform its going to run, you will save yourself a lot of pain.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.