[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HTC Vive's Big Breakthrough
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 9
File: HTC_Vive_product_1.0.jpg (593 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
HTC_Vive_product_1.0.jpg
593 KB, 1200x800
It's a front mounting camera that maps real world space so you can see and interact with the real world while wearing the headset.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/5/10714522/htc-valve-vive-pre-v2-development-kit-ces-2016
http://imgur.com/a/GCppZ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9xt_lmItZY
>>
File: oculus rift.gif (539 KB, 215x268) Image search: [Google]
oculus rift.gif
539 KB, 215x268
>>
File: wow its nothing.jpg (11 KB, 248x252) Image search: [Google]
wow its nothing.jpg
11 KB, 248x252
>no wireless
>no eyetracking
>'big breakthrough'
>>
No functionality yet, other than being able to see your keyboard and drink from a cup. I wonder if 3d mapping will allow for full augmented reality.

I'm waiting for when I can when I can scan my room/office and edit the stuff inside like Gmod. Just point, click, and instant augmented reality 70 inch TV screen on the wall in my room. Or repaint the walls with the point and click of the controller. Or the ability to click and drag my virtual computer monitor to anywhere in the room/house.
>>
File: Gridrising.png (1009 KB, 1471x781) Image search: [Google]
Gridrising.png
1009 KB, 1471x781
>With the camera, HTC is able to present a blue wireframe outline of the objects and even people in the room. Some of the editors at Tom’s Hardware have dubbed this “Tron Mode,” which actually describes what you see fairly well.
>>
File: ten out of ten journalism.png (940 KB, 1138x844) Image search: [Google]
ten out of ten journalism.png
940 KB, 1138x844
>the verge
>>
>>52249747
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/htc-vive-pre-first-look,30894.html
>>
File: Jq37Ion.jpg (147 KB, 640x478) Image search: [Google]
Jq37Ion.jpg
147 KB, 640x478
>covering your eyes with something solid that has a camera attached so you can see in front of you
>>
>Not eyetracking
Well that's fucking shit then.
>>
>>52249545
This is just another gimmick. How about doing something GOOD with graphics for once IE making believable AI that at least somewhat behaves like an actual person for once
>>
>>52249857
>hardware that merges meatspace and virtual space seamlessly
>literally start of the technological singularity
>calls it gimicky
>asks for strong AI software instead

Why are you even here?
>>
>>52249833
Samsung invested in them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLNZyC67Srw
>>
>>52250015
nobodys asking for strong ai, im just asking for ai thats not totally fucking braindead like in every game that exists now
>>
>>52250140
which has absolutely nothing to do with a HMD
>>
>>52250208
it does since i said it was a gimmick and they should shift their focuse to doing something useful for once. It's like if someone was polluting the environment and i said they should shift their focus to protecting the environment.

Reading comprehension, kid
>>
>>52250281
>I don't like this Volkswagen because I heard a crappy song on the radio in one of their cars.
>Volkswagen should go into the music industry instead.

This is what you sound like. They're a hardware company. Not a software company.
>>
File: IMG_0551.jpg (19 KB, 246x200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0551.jpg
19 KB, 246x200
>>52250351
you're grasping at straws now
>>
>>52250371
Please don't be so angry.
>>
>>52250140
That is done on purpose. The average video game player is a drooling moron. They don't have the ability to appreciate, take advantage of, or defeat AI that uses the most basic tactics.
>>
>>52250371
actually as an outside perspective of someone who just entered the thread, you're a fucking retard mate. What the fuck does any of what you're saying have to do with VR headsets?
>>
File: image.png (649 KB, 1180x660) Image search: [Google]
image.png
649 KB, 1180x660
>>52249545
Funny, it has been tested for the oculus rift before
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.