[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BSD /g/ENERAL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4
File: bsd-girl.jpg (105 KB, 1200x960) Image search: [Google]
bsd-girl.jpg
105 KB, 1200x960
FreeBSD or DragonFLY?
>>
>>52225097
I'd rather use ZFS over HAMMER, but HAMMER2 looks promising.
>>
>>52225132
Do you think DragonFly is anymore reliable for desktop use?
>>
dragonfly is literally just a research operating system

there's no point to using it or netbsd
>>
>>52225614
BSD in general is not very viable for desktop use.
>>
>>52228067
Better tell the DragonFly BSD mailing list. Those madmen are doing all sorts of insane shit like porting graphics drivers from Linux so they can run it on their desktops.
>>
>Server
FreeBSD

>Router
OpenBSD

>Desktop
Linux
>>
>>52229659
>Server
FreeBSD

>Router
pfSense

>Desktop
PC-BSD
>>
>Server
FreeBSD

>Cluster/Dist
DragonflyBSD

>Router
OpenBSD

>Desktop
Windows or MacOS
>>
>Server
FreeBSD

>Router
OpenBSD

>Desktop
Gentoo
>>
>itt: ultimate neckbeards.
>>
everyone here is saying that freebsd is best for servers, but i also heard that openbsd is good too. who should i listen too
>>
>>52230760
It all depends on your use case, Anon. Do you want security over usability? Do you want ZFS?
>>
>>52230760
FreeBSD is has jails so you can sandbox your server application, DTrace for diagnosing problems, and ZFS for storing a lot of files reliably. It's like linux but with other goodies.

OpenBSD tends to be used as an appliance like a firewall because it ships with a very minimal base that has been tested extensively for security problems. It doesn't have the fancy features from FreeBSD due to the time needed to maintain and audit all of that code.
>>
File: gif.gif (430 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
gif.gif
430 KB, 500x250
>>52229992

>Desktop
>PC-BSD

Oh no... Fuck!
>>
>Server
FreeBSD

>Router
FreeBSD(pfsense) or OpenBSD

>Desktop
FreeBSD
>>
NetBSD anyone?
>>
>>52233585
yes, it's the most sane
>>
>>52232513
Just kidding, I just do FreeBSD with plain binary packages. But I say PC-BSD to be "modest".
>>
What if I don't want security, is openBSD still viable for a thinkpad?
>>
>>52235892
OpenBSD works very well on laptops as long as they don't have nvidia graphics or other proprietary hardware.
>>
>>52230907
If all you wanted to do was run Dtrace on a ZFS system, you would be better off running SmartOS or OpenIndiana. Those were Solaris was the system why were written on and for, not just a port
>>
>>52225097
belongs in
>>52235086
>/sqt/
>>
>>52233560

>Server
SmartOS

>Router
Freebsd

>Desktop
OSX

At this point I'm debating putting everything in a smartOS Zone and being an exclusively Solaris based household
>>
>>52230907
OpenBSD has privilege separation by default.

The HTTP server runs as its own unprivileged user in a chroot jail. So really, does the jail argument really matter here?
>>
>>52237325
Are you saying Solaris as a desktop OS?
>>
>>52236035
I hear OpenBSD generally performs slower than the others because its focus on security. So If I don't have any regards to security, you think I'd be fine with NetBSD?
>>
>>52238302
I guess not really if you don't need a unique hostname or IP address assigned to the jail. I think that's the main benefit of FreeBSD jails
>>
>>52233890
why so?
>>
>>52237260
>"Download the current hipster release of OpenIndiana."

Source: http://www.openindiana.org/download/
>>
>>52236035
>proprietary hardware
You mean like 98.37% of all laptops?
>>
>>52240670
Other than feeling like a hipster there is no reason to go with an OS more obscure than GNU/Linux.
>>
>>52240503
OpenBSD doesn't have the best performance on multicore systems right now. There's work underway to remove the "giant lock" mechanism in the kernel to allow simultaneous access to the kernel between cores but it's still a ways off.

I don't know much about NetBSD as far as performance so I can't say for sure.
>>
>>52240683
Hardware that requires proprietary drivers. OpenBSD devs draw the line at the OS level(which means driver software), they don't mind hardware which requires firmware though.
>>
>>52225097
can i have a pic of that bsd girl next to candles please?

>>52229659
what about cloud?
>>
>>52230025
this is the best answer here
>>
>>52225097
NextBSD https://github.com/NextBSD/NextBSD

>>52240842
Once that's done, you can patch the ticking rate in kern.hz by changing it from 100 to 1000 and voilĂ , the most secure operating system.
>>
File: f1553773976.jpg (12 KB, 248x189) Image search: [Google]
f1553773976.jpg
12 KB, 248x189
>>52235866

Oh, ok.

kek
>>
>>52229992
>Router
>pfSense
Why not OpenBSD? It's objectively more secure and runs pf. It just lacks the GUI.
>>
>>52240482
Solaris derivative, like an Illumos distro. You could run OpenIndiana or plain ol smartOS for example and put Windows or Linux in a zone or KVM It's a little confusing after that, but I'm pretty sure you can run individual applications in a container like docker
>>
>>5224109
Pfsense is literally FreeBSD. Reason for this over openBSD is that FreeBSD has always been ahead of openBSD in wireless support and driver support. OpenBSD has closed the gap recently, but still lags behind in wireless. I remember reading that Open didn't even support wpa when pfSense started.
>>
>>52240797
You realize about a third of Internet traffic bandwidth is supported by BSD? I don't have the graph with me, but both Whatsapp and Netflix use BSD on the back end.
>>
>>52230798
usability IS security. if your security is so hard to use it gets disabled or has loopholes in the configuration, it's not security. eg Selinux

openbsd is very pleasant to use.
>>
>>52241419
They use FreeBSD specifically. Sony actually uses a derivative of FreeBSD called "Orbis OS" in the PS4.

There's actually a pretty significant amount of BSDs out there but they're usually hiding in appliances and backend hardware. BSDs have pretty much always ran parts of the internet though.
>>
>>52238302
It does if you're trying to do something useful, like combine nginx, mariadb and php-fm to run owncloud and have it all neatly contained with no point of access to the host system, since it's even got it's own loopback interface and you can firewall it however you like.
>>
>>52241419
This site is also run on a BSD but I recall moot saying he wished it was Linux and it was too late to change. Overall people are moving away from it though.
>>
>>52241748
Why? I'm sure you have no evidence to back this up you shit posting faggot
>>
>>52241748

4chan runs on OS X using Mac Mini servers
>>
>>52242383
Which are based off FreeBSD Lol
>>
>>52241380
>FreeBSD has always been ahead of openBSD in wireless support
This is BS, there was a time when OpenBSD was even ahead of Linux on wireless support. You're probably one of those guy that thinks OS X is FreeBSD. You make me sick!
>>
>>52229659
>Server
FreeBSD

>Router
OpenBSD

>Desktop
FreeBSD
>>
hardenedBSD > PS4
>>
>>52241748
>>52241857
I've read that too, I think it was in a qa thread. He said that the linux kernel allowed tweaks and performance tuning for mysql that freebsd didn't.
>>
>>52228067
dragonflybsd has wayland port and skylake graphics support
>>
>>52229570
That is just not true. As long as the hardware is compatible FreeBSD is no less capable as a desktop than Linux.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.