[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Runing Steam Client on an ARM CPU
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: LeMaker_Banana_Pro_Front.jpg (2 MB, 1330x940) Image search: [Google]
LeMaker_Banana_Pro_Front.jpg
2 MB, 1330x940
So i have really slow internet (500kb/s max.) and want to be able to download and patch games from Steam, which increase in size every month, over night, without leaving my loud ass computor on.

So i got myself a Banana Pro board, a 32GB sd card and a cable to attach my old laptop hdd to the board. Wrote Bananian1508(which is Debian8) on the sd card, got the wlan0 up, installed lxde and even got a vnc working so i can access my pro from my windows computor or my phone.
Everything fine so far.
Now i got the i386 packages for Multi-Arch and installed and updated the system.
Everything running fine still.
Now i installed Steam via "aptitude install steam"
No errors, but i can not start Steam over the Gui it just doesnt start.
What did i forget?
>>
i386 packages cant be used on arm devices retard.
>>
>>52215414
I don't know how to but a virtual machine maybe?
>>
Just recompile it for ARM
Oh wait, Steam is non-free software.
See, this is why you should not use non-free software.
>>
>>52215414
I don't know how to but can"t you just use a virtual machine?
>>
>>52217199
This would work, just very slow. It would be emulation, not virtualization.
QEMU can emulate many guest architectures on many host architectures. You could in theory run x86 Windows on ARM.
>>
>>52215414

Given that apple+banana = orange, how much is banana?
>>
>>52217218
Sorry duplicate message :-(
>>
>>52215414
You're fucked. Either buy an x86 PC or emulate one which will be ridiculously slow. Or just pray to god Steam releases their platform on ARM (which will never happen).
>>
Should have bought x86/atom board
>>
>>52217233
I remember hearing somewhere that qemu could emulate an architecture for an individual process, including library calls. Iirc it's very experimental
>>
>>52215414
still using i386
ARM-tard

you should have used the money to get a real machine/high speed connection.
>>
>>52215414

For that $50+ you spent on that shit you could make your "loud ass computor" less loud by replacing the loud fans.
>>
>>52217360
It's conceivable but I have not tried it myself.
I did run full ARM distros on x86 with QEMU software emulation. The reverse should work just the same. OP, try QEMU.
>>
File: ihavethepowah.jpg (58 KB, 729x689) Image search: [Google]
ihavethepowah.jpg
58 KB, 729x689
>>52215414
Just stick your PC into power saving mode overnight?
>>
>>52217448
>>52217669
this.
op is thinking way outside the box and not fixing up his problem computer in the first place.

it doesnt even use that much power either. when im using my loud gaming computer for just browsing, it uses just 120watts total including a 24inch lcd monitor according to my UPS.
>>
>>52217669
On a desktop, what this would actually do is change minor things like enable lower power states for the CPU and some minor power management things on the PCIe lanes. And also enable automatic suspend-to-RAM that is nto what OP wants. If you have some 5k RPM fans connected to 4-pin MOLEXes, a fan vibrating the case and a GPU fan with shot bearings that rattles, it wouldn't help.
>>
>>52217831
>5k RPM fans connected to 4-pin MOLEXes
If you have this then you need to die, and its fucking trivial to set your computer to never sleep
>>
>>52217536
Windows XP takes like 15 minutes to boot on a 1.7Ghz quad Cortex A9. Even if he attempts to use emulation it wont meet Steam hardware requirements to launch. If this was OP's main intention for getting an ARM single board that was straight up foolish.
>>
>>52217211
So why don't you faggots fix it?
>>
>>52218094
>you
You mean Valve?
>>
>>52215414
Do research, maybe valve provides some api for this kind of shit, or maybe someone wrote unofficial set of functions that does it. You can't just run binary from different architecture on your arm chip, except retardedly slow solutions like x86 emulation.
>>
>>52218094
that would be illegal, anon
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.