[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/ how do I go about getting a job as a programmer if I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 1437517511078.jpg (18 KB, 251x231) Image search: [Google]
1437517511078.jpg
18 KB, 251x231
Hey /g/ how do I go about getting a job as a programmer if I get kicked out of school and don't have a degree nor experience from past jobs? This semester is looking bleak and I'm now thinking through my options. Even if I pass this semester, the university is really not a thing I'm that into, half of my classess is boring and I have no motivation to finish assignments since they are all so fucking pointless.

I'm pretty fluent with C/C++, python and bash, I can also haskell a little but I'm getting better at it and now I'm getting used to mysql, I will also be getting some oracle certification at the end of the semester.
>>
>>52211242
Have you thought about getting involved in open source/free software to build up at least something of a resume?
>>
How the fuck do you fail college? I got a song for you OP

https://youtu.be/pecHKtUXPy8
>>
By fucking applying for a job how else
>>
>>52211301
kys

>>52211265
this

and

>>52211317
this
>>
>>52211301
Well I picked the best one I could get to. Turns out the best schools are also the hardest. Figures.

>>52211317
Every job listing for programmers I found wants past experience...

>>52211265
Yeah I guess that would be a good idea, idk how to go about that...do I just like write an email to someone that I want to work on the project? I'm pretty clueless to how open source development process works...
>>
>>52211377
>he thinks college is hard

Get out sub human
>>
Your "motivation" should be that a university degree will get you a job. And if your assignments are hard, obviously you're not skilled enough to solve them, so how are they pointless?

Still not convinced? Well then. Build yourself a portfolio. Code own projects or contribute to Open Source projects by forking them on Github and sendind a pull request after you've added something. Take an internship. Once again, much easier if you're a student.
>>
File: Programming-challenges-v.1.4.png (302 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Programming-challenges-v.1.4.png
302 KB, 1920x1080
>>52211242
Easy kid, just create a repository like github or gitlab or something and fill it with examples. Look at my picture for some challenge examples and exercises you can do sorted by difficulty. And fill the repository with such examples in C/C++, Python, bash and possibly some haskell if you want although it is not used much in industry. with Python you might want to also do some Django examples because it's used in web dev quite often.

You can also put your .bashrc on the repository and other stuff like automated backup scripts to show off your other skills.
>>
>>52211242

Do you live on the west coast?

If not, good luck.
>>
>>52211385
Figure out how to use github and contribute. So many open source and free software projects are on github.
>>
you don't. you get a job and work your way into a technical field instead.
>>
>>52211664
Yeah that seems like a smart idea, gonna upload all my stuff
>>
How about some PHP or node.js?
I believe it's much easier to get into web development with no papers. Year or two of that, and there should be enough opportunities to show your skills in miscellaneous scripting in python or actually helping other developers with their work in C/C#/C++.
>>
>>52211664

This is beautiful. Thank you.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.