[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you guys feel about "cloud computers" (Chromebooks,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
How do you guys feel about "cloud computers" (Chromebooks, etc.)?

I got a HP Stream running Windows 10. For the price, it's a pretty decent Office/4chan machine. The 32 GB storage is kind of bullshit, it really should've been at least 64.
>>
>>52210933
Got a Stream for school. Pretty decent for what I got it for, Office and Chrome.

It's not great, but if you're a poorfag that needs a computer like me, it's pretty good.
>>
>>52210933

Is there stand alone desktop mode from chromecast?
>>
>>52210933
>>52210974
That's how I'd describe them. Good for what you pay for. It can handle Office, Chrome, and even Shitbox streaming pretty well. My last computer died and I needed a quick replacement for school, so I got the Stream.

I haven't tried the Chromebook, but I've heard nothing but good things from people buying them just for school.
>>
>>52210933
The Stream is great if you like others said only expect Office and browsing. HP advertised it too much as a "laptop killer" when it's really just a touchless Windows 10 tablet.

Make sure if you're getting one, it has at least 2 GB RAM. Also, it only has 32 GB, so unless you use cloud storage or an external drive, you'll be eating through flash drives.
>>
>>52210933
Toshiba Chromebook 2 has been my only computer past 5 months. I am a webdev.
9/10
>>
>>52210933
I think tablets and cloud computers will eventually replace the desktop for the causal and student market.

I'm in college, and after blowing my money on books, the Stream is pretty good for what it's supposed to do. And I haven't heard anyone diss the Chromebook.
>>
>>52210974
>>52211011
>>52211384
/g/ doesn't welcome poorfags
>>
>The 32 GB storage is kind of bullshit, it really should've been at least 64.

Just put it in the cloud mange sall good nobotnet promise
>>
>>52211083
I was looking through these cheap cloudbooks during summer as I needed a travel laptop (didn't wanna lug my Mac around) and I came across the HP Stream, plenty of Chromebooks and the Asus Eeebook. I initially ruled out Chromebooks as I needed to use Microshit services offline like OneNote etc. Despite the Stream looking better on paper with specs, the Eeebook really won me over as it had better build quality, less heat output and the HP Stream thermally throttled worse than a MacBook. Overall I'm happy with my Eeebook as its doing well and no really issues to report. I got it for £140 and I get people coming up to me like 'hey is that a MacBook Pro?'
Take a look at the Eeebook
>>
>cloud
faggots.
>>
I'd rather buy a used memepad for the keyboard
>>
>>52210933
>cloud

Also, netbooks are great but at least put an SSD in there
>>
>>52211394
The beautiful part about tech is, especially with Linux and Android, and sometimes even Windows, you can usually find just what you need, even if you're on a budget. If you just need something from browsing 4chan and writing documents, there are hundreds of decently priced Linux, Android, or Windows machines that can do just that.

Even Andorid, with a cheap $2 micro-USB to USB dongle, fully supports keyboard, mouse, and expandable storage natively.

But you're probably a Macfag who pays $2,000 for a tablet that only runs mobile apps.
>>
File: 1352748837641.gif (2 MB, 187x155) Image search: [Google]
1352748837641.gif
2 MB, 187x155
>>52211436
>>
>>52210933
>YFW you realize Windows 10 + updates is almost 30 GB
>>
So is this a legit PC you can install and re-install Windows on - because of course it'll be loaded from day 1 with bloatware
>>
>>52211394
hahahah

tell that to all the thinkpad using linux cucks on this board, jesus fucking christ

asspained faggots so poor they can't even pay for their own OS.
>>
I have an Asus x205ta I got purely for the battery life and small size. Windows pretty much takes up the 32 gb with my core programs, and the rest of my programs run off a microsd card. The only problem I have is the lack of usb 3, but I have one of those micro sized thumb drives left plugged in continuously in case I don't have connection to save my documents and shit. For $125, I expected a shitbook that was unusable, but I added an extra 2gb and it works flawlessly.
>>
>>52212313
Yeah, its like a netbook revival. Thin and light, long battery life with atom processors and just a soldered emmc card for storage. In my opinion, they could not in any way be a primary computer, but are great for school, travel or for kids.
>>
>>52212391
Since when does financial status make for great humor? What a bore.
>>
>>52210933

You can install a 128GB microSD for like $40.
>>
>>52212558
Wait, did you can add ram to this thing? I got one as well, just like you all I want more is USB3. It does suffer a bit when going into 10+ tabs in firefox though.
>>
File: asd.png (7 KB, 658x338) Image search: [Google]
asd.png
7 KB, 658x338
>>
File: 46004-21[1].jpg (65 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
46004-21[1].jpg
65 KB, 500x500
>>52210933
Cloud computers (especially Chromebooks) have massive downsides even today (ie requiring internet access for even basic functions). If that is your cup o' tea, then they're great. I myself prefer a netbook because at least you have local storage and programs. Surprisingly a lot of them now have Android or Linux (cheap books, cheap OS), and with the functionality of a laptop plus decent wifi.
>>
>>52214240
How big storage does that shitbook have?
>>
>>52212391
Why pay for a shit OS?
>>
>>52212835

putting more shekels on a shitty botnet device won't help, goy
>>
>>52214240
>at least you have local storage and programs
mfw i spent thirty minutes last year explaining to someone that I use a Chromebook for work. he honestly thought that once you shut the thing off it would lose everything stored on the flash memory 'because it doesn't have a hard drive'.

you need internet access for internet things. for local things there's local apps that work just fine without internet access (file storage, obv. media player (music, images, video). google docs), assuming i'd be working somewhere without internet access in the first place

and in my anecdotal experience people generally overestimate what they need a cheap laptop for, so you they either get mad that their supermarket laptop won't run their Steam games at 4K60FPS, or buy some four-figure alienware monstrosity and use it for chrome anyway. like 'just in case' they're in the desert and get the urge to 3d-render something while watching their anime mkvs
>>
I just thought: doesn't Steam allow you to 'stream' games from one machine to another on the same network, provided they're logged into the same account?
>>
>>52211170

What text editor do you use?
>>
>>52215800
Yes it does. Even works over VPN, though you need very solid internet connections on both sides of course.
>>
>>52214240
Are there any netbooks being made now? Everyone I see a model that's several years old.
>>
>>52212391
Winfag has to compensate his inferior os
>>
>>52210933
can you put Linux on it?
>>
>>52212391
ChromeOS is free too. BSD is free too. Fucking your mom is free too. I mainly use windows, but linux is bretty nice on a small laptop with not high end hardware (something like a netbook or a chromebook, or an old laptop), it boots up fast (even on 5 year old 5200rpm 2,5" hdds), it's light, and it's cutsomizable to the infinite. I kept myself from committing suicide after my last pc died by using an old laptop (5 year old toshiba sattelite) with mint, it couldn't handle windows 7 very well. And mint with cinnamon looked fucking pretty.
>>
>>52216527
It doesn't actually need that much speed, it worked fine (little lag) at 5mbps (wifi on laptop, lan on desktop) when I tried it out from my bedroom. In the living room, I get around 16mbps over wifi so it should theoretically work buttery smooth, but as I don't go to the living room when gaming, I haven't tried it out yet.
>>
>>52217251

As long as it doesn't have the dreaded Broadcom BCM 43142, then yes; Ubuntu 15.10 runs much better than 8.1 or 10 ever did.
>>
>>52217497
I'd just slap a barebones Arch or Debian on it for muh battery life
>>
What's the best memebook for linux usage? I hate fans.
>>
>>52217621

Inspiron 15 3552; be sure to add in an SSD otherwise you're gonna have a bad time lol ;)
>>
>>52217340
>Fucking your mom is free too
Excuse me, asshole? That's $500 you'd better pay up.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.