[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm lookin to make a RetroPie for my dad and I want to turn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3060x2440) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3060x2440
I'm lookin to make a RetroPie for my dad and I want to turn this and other controllers into usb without buying a dedicated adaptor. Have any of you done it?
>>
Part of the nastalgia is dealing with those terrible controllers. I already have mine up and running, using 360 controllers instead. There wouldnt be any splicin' n done tutorials, you would need a adapter board no matter what.
>>
>>52205359
Do you mean without that box you plug the old controllers in to make them usb? If so then take a look at these: http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Retro-N64-Bit-Wired-Controller/dp/B00KBAE52S/

They have them for all of the old systems such as SNES etc. And not a bad price either. Theres also Bluetooth ones if you don't want any wires.
>>
Don't. Use a gamecube controller. The analog stick on the old n64 controllers have really bad lifespans- IE you won't find a n64 controller with a good analog stick for less than like $100
>>
File: 20160103_181539-1.jpg (586 KB, 2981x1677) Image search: [Google]
20160103_181539-1.jpg
586 KB, 2981x1677
>>52206248
Had it since 1999, the controllers are still in mint condition.
Don't play it as much lately, usually when my sister or my friends visit, hence why it's not connected.

Not everyone is a little shit faced spaz that fucks every joystick they use.
>>
Look into www.lakka.tv for a easy setup with lots of controllers already pre-configured.
>>
>>52205359
N64 emulators are all glitchy shit, don't waste your time.
>>
>>52206434
>Not everyone is a little shit faced spaz that fucks every joystick they use.

They always wear out eventually due to poor design, and depending on which games you played they can wear out really fast. Simply disassembling and greasing the innards of the joystick prevents that.

Also >>52207953 get an N64 Everdrive instead.
>>
>>52206224
How to make that, though?
>>
>>52206248
you just replace the control sticks for like 5 bucks
>>
>>52210416
I hope you don't think you just have to resolder some wires to connect an N64 controller to an USB port.

It works on a completely different protocol, you'd need at least something like an USB-capable µC, which I think would be the easiest way.
>>
>>52210510
Ah wait, it's easier if you just don't use USB and just hook it directly to the Pi's GPIOs.
There are already drivers for just that: https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/gamecon_gpio_rpi
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 320x240
What about this? No idea what's in it, but if it's that small, surely it could fit in the controller.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.