[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are you using a keyboard layout from the late 1800s today in 2016?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
Why are you using a keyboard layout from the late 1800s today in 2016?
>>
Just because it's [current year] doesn't mean things that just werk must change senpai.
>>
But I'm using azerty...
>>
>>52198072
But I'm using Dvorak, nigger.
>>
>>52198072
because keyboard shortcuts are a PITA on Dvorak
>>
>>52198209
>>52198240
>>52198560
>2015
>still using meme layouts
kek
>>
Because it werkz
>>
>>52198240

>put DVORAK in place of QWERTY
>"I'm a sophisticated person and contribute to this society, pip pip"
>>
>>52198072
I knew DVORAK was for complete autists the moment my literally autistic friend decided to switch to it.

Anyone who can actually type will see very little improvement after switching over unless they train like fucking athletes, at which point you're just wasting time learning to type really fast instead of actually doing anything productive.
>>
>>52198072
Because human hands haven't changed in the last 200 years.
>>
>>52199170
>>
>>52199170
/thread
>>
File: treeman.gif (387 KB, 700x944) Image search: [Google]
treeman.gif
387 KB, 700x944
>>52199170
You fucking privileged shit.
>>
Network effects. I like being able to type at any keyboard I might find in front of me, and some random keyboard out in the world is almost certain to be QWERTY
>>
>>52199170
Qwerty is setup to stop typewriters from jamming because all the most used letters are spaced out.
>>
>>52198072
>walking to your car
>on legs evolved 2-3 million years ago
>in (4030)/2 + 1

This is what you sound like.
>>
File: 1451132958582.gif (932 KB, 258x258) Image search: [Google]
1451132958582.gif
932 KB, 258x258
It just werks®™

I can type up to 100 WPM now on QWERTY. If other keyboard layouts make you type faster then I want to avoid them like the plague, I don't want carpal tunnel syndrome that badly.
>>
disappointed at all these fedvoraks to be quite honest
>>
>>52199424
lol this
>>
>>52199372
Well I guess it didn't fucking work. I can easily type around 120 wpm on qwerty. I could probably type faster but I don't like my hands aching after typing a single paragraph.
>>
>>52198072
Because I can't find a good Dvorak keyboard for cheap
>>
>>52199325
I warned that guy about fucking that tree.
>>
>>52198099
Qwerty is actually designed to slow your typing due to mechanical constraints from the time period. If you typed too fast you could lock the machine up. This problem doesn't exist anymore.

So no it doesn't just fucking work unless your definition is slow work massively. It is very literally the worst layout we as humans could come up with.

I bet you think the stagger of you keys is there for a non mechanical old typewriter purpose.
>>
>>52199521
And on any other setup your 120 words would speed the fuck up.
>>
File: gauge2.jpg.png (633 KB, 891x702) Image search: [Google]
gauge2.jpg.png
633 KB, 891x702
>>52199443
chorded keyboard layouts are ~240 WPM and also don't induce carpal tunnel
>>
>>52200573
It's not safe though. Typing above 120 greatly increases the chance for getting RSI and CTS in the long term. I'll stick with qwerty thank you very much.
>>
>>52200540
>Qwerty is actually designed to slow your typing due to mechanical constraints from the time period

Close.
It's designed so that common letters are far enough apart that the typing mechanism doesn't jam when you press them all at once.
That doesn't necessarily slow you down.
>>
It's the one I learned first thanks to high school IT classes. And I'm to lazy to learn any others.
>>
>>52200712
Also false. Part of the problem leads back to qwerty key stagger and hand position. The truth is an altered layout would be better on your hands too.

PS your keys are staggered like that due to mechanical constraints for typewriter arms. It's also worthless and unergonomic. Yay qwerty huh?
>>
>>52198689
Wrong year asshole
>>
>>52200722
Wrong, but close. The speed does matter when it comes to the typewriter arms and the angles the strikes are at. It IS in fact meant to slow you down. Feel free to check out some old typewriter if you'd like though

But yeah even typing too fast on a qwerty will lock the damn thing up...it was just the best/worst that could be done at the time to fix the problem.
>>
>>52200771
Look man, I can already exceed 120 wpm on qwerty and I'm pretty scared to be honest. I want to stay away from speeds above 120 wpm not easily achieve them.

The keyboard layout means jack shit, when you type at batshit crazy speeds your nerves can sustain damage, period.
>>
>>52200942
I'm really mad at you right now. You're kind of retarded, I can't be bothered explaining why so don't bother asking. I just thought I'd let you know.

Maybe you should try think about the things you talk about a bit more. You may understand one day.
>>
>>52200996
Not him but do other keyboard layouts significantly reduce the risk of rsi? I've been typing qwerty style for years but lately my thumb starts to feel hot and ache after an hour or two of typing.

Or is it too late for me? ;_;
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.