[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What years do you actually have the fondest memories of in terms
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: Jet-Audio_4.81.jpg (212 KB, 761x668) Image search: [Google]
Jet-Audio_4.81.jpg
212 KB, 761x668
What years do you actually have the fondest memories of in terms of using tech?

When was using a PC actually still filled with wonders and fun for you?
>>
Mid 2000s probably, but I find '90s tech much more exciting in hindsight. Everything felt so over-engineered, lots of tech still had personality, OEMs weren't afraid to experiment in desperate bids to control the market.
>>
>>52197972
Probably back in high school, worked in an electronics store, still enjoyed video games, had more interest in programming.

The more I learned about computers the less enthusiastic I was, kind of lost the magic in college.
>>
>>52197972
I still use jetaudio and jetvideo as primary Audio and video players.

>inb4 winduz
>>
>>52201118
which version?
are all versions clean or did they start integrating some bullshit adware at some point?

I loved the 4.x version and try to find it again.
>>
Now because the computers are faster and can play all the old games.
>>
Here we go again!

The answer will always be, "When I was 10 - 15". What year that will be differs due to different ages.

They got better. You just became a bitter unreachable fuck.

>normies normies normies, Objectively, stagnate, social media, normies, too much choice, secret internet club,

I enjoy using my brand new 3 monitors to play old games at 5760x1080, it's never been better. So for me every day, it's still filled with wonders. Feels great not being psuedo-bitter and ruining my own life by limiting what I allow myself to use.
>>
>>52197972
The yamaha sound drivers on our pentium 2 pc looked like that
>>
>>52201485
Jokes on you I have fondest memories of 90s tech and I was 5 then
>>
>>52201485
when I was 10-15 everything I had was garbage
most of my favorite tech is from a time when I was barely even conscious
>>
>>52197972
just about when the social jew took over the web and every cuck out there started sucking Steven Jobs' dick
>>
File: 1451589800038.jpg (65 KB, 541x651) Image search: [Google]
1451589800038.jpg
65 KB, 541x651
>>52201485
have you ever actually contributed anything to a discussion on this board or do you just come here to fight a nonsensical proxy war with /vr/ crossboarders using crybaby non-sequitur essays?

>my brand new 3 monitors
>1920x1080
you seriously paid retail for that garbage? lol
>>
>>52197972
Probably now or in 2008-9 when I discovered Linux.

The thing is, I know so much more about tech that I'm much more capable and more possibilities are open to me.
>>
>>52197972
Installing Debian on my 2001 gateway PC with 6 fucking cds when I was 10.
>>
>>52201256
The newest version would be OK.
>>
>>52201485
*tip
>>
>>52202386
okay, thanks!
>>
When I first tried CrunchBang after only using shit like Ubuntu and Mint previously. The real joy was from learning of shit like openbox+tint2, but CrunchBang also have presented it very nicely.

It looked good and made good use of the super key. All the shortcuts for opening my programs was neat, as was the customizable menu. Also not having desktop icons since it wasn't a desktop environment kinda blew my mind. It was literally finding out that the thing I'd always dreamed of was real. It also taught me that you can use all these individual programs to create the desktop you really want. Learning about stuff like nitrogen for wallpapers and compton for a compositor was very enlightening. I didn't even know what a compositor was before.
>>
>>52197972
Probably now honestly. It's a great time to be into tech.

>fast internet speeds gives you access to boundless libraries of software and media so long as you are interested
>hardware evolves slower and lasts longer, allowing you to enjoy more of that software
>free information everywhere
>hipster meme machine shit like smartphone operating systems still haven't overtaken the entire market
>because computers and other technology hasn't really been around for that long and society still views it as very disposable, you can enjoy all the still somewhat plentiful, cool shit from the past 30 years for next to nothing and maximize its potential with the aforementioned accessible software
>>
>>52202331
>>52202428
I would stop but nobody has any legitimate counter arguments besides "kiddo".

Nostalgia is cancer on its own but it is the seed of ageism, which is turbo-cancer because it is still acceptable to do this professionally.

"Don't hire him, he's black" = racism, instant termination
"Don't hire him, he's too young" = still perfectly fine if you get enough old fucks in the room.

I tend to make up excuses on needing to be somewhere else when old people crop up in the room. They never ever ever let the age thing go and it's fucking disgusting.

Worse is when 30 year olds pretend to be 50 or 60 on the internet. This at any level does nothing but segregate people into made up age groups and make it impossible to work with people.

I've worked with 5, 10, and 15 year olds regarding learning computer stuff and I certainly did have many opportunities to push the kiddo garbage on them, I chose not to. There is no counter argument once the topic of age comes up, it's fucking shit and cancer to getting any job done anywhere.

the internet and computers got better, accept it.
>>
File: 1450553126212.gif (5 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
1450553126212.gif
5 KB, 128x128
>>52202602
lmao holy fuck are you okay? you keep writing these essays about shit that literally never happens especially on this shitty subreddit, I think you're schizophrenic or some shit, definitely insecure as fuck though. you need help.

just relax, learn to use the filter and enjoy playing your shitty games on your shitty monitors
>>
>>52200354
Nice description.

I had different phases. The 90s were the best, and then again in the early 2000s when I first discovered Linux. I miss the wild west feeling when anything was possible. When big business got involved with the Internet (and when all the money flowed in), suddenly things got serious and not fun. I work in big corporate software development, and there's no fun in it.

Best memories include: dialing BBSs (and trying to find elite ones), playing with the AWE32 PnP to get MIDIs and MODs to sound the best, play with Mandrake/Red Hat/Linspire/SuSE for the first time, trying to configure Win95 for dialup, and late 90s Internet (Geocities).
>>
2000 - 2006 was my golden era.

>Got my own computer (don't have to share with the family)
>Discovered that you can listen to music without CDs
>Got into system hacks/tweaks/customization (Kaleidoscope was amazing)
>Learned that you can create your own programs (blew my mind)
>Got cable internet
>Tinkered with programming
>Got a copy of pirated Photoshop 6 from a friend and discovered the wonders of layers
>Found out that you can download practically anything you want if you know where to look
>Could suddenly talk to anybody in the world through forums, IM, and IRC
>Tinkered with video editing
>Tinkered with 3D modeling and rendering
>Discovered the power of *nix
>Absolutely destroyed everyone else in my high school website class
>Got introduced to MMORPGS
>Wrote some WoW addons

It was a blast. I could spend weeks on end on the computer and never be bored because there was so much to learn and do and get better at.
>>
>>52203008
I still do much of the same thing (programming is my job) and I still try to expand my digital horizons, but somewhere along the line some of my optimism and enthusiasm declined some... it's probably about 60% of what it used to be. I'm not sure why, because I'm far more capable now than I was then and can actually do the stuff that was previously just a dream. Is that just a natural part of aging? I don't like it. I want the bright-eyed, hopeful, endless energy version of myself back.
>>
File: shota007.jpg (324 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
shota007.jpg
324 KB, 1920x1200
>>52197972
>>
>>52202602
You might want to calm your autism there, buddy
>>
>>52203008
where are you now?
>>
>>52203531
In what sense?
>>
>>52203008
>I could spend weeks on end on the computer and never be bored because there was so much to learn and do and get better at.

ha, I remember how I had to told that to my parents and sisters back around 2000 when I was having tons of fun with second hand computer hardware and making that shit work again.
they couldn't understand how someone can have fun staring at a computer monitor all day but now most of them have smartphones and I pretty much stopped being a hardcore nerd years ago... ah well.
>>
>>52203555
enthusiasm/life related to technology
>>
>>52203608
See >>52203076. It's still there but has dimmed somewhat. I probably just need to shake things up and work on different kinds of projects or use different languages/toolsets etc.

I doubt I'll ever feel that initial rush of discovery and opening of possibilities ever again though.
>>
1999, when gaming hardware peaked (in relation to game requirements).

A low end PC could get you 120 frames in Quake, our monitors could show them all, Windows desktop wasn't poisoned by pointless decoration or touchscreen elements, game installation didn't require unreliable 3rd party services that offer a single choice of shitty frontend, and also I could play as much as I wanted. The cases were ugly, but the hardware wasn't flimsy shit. My Pentium from that time still boots, my phenom from 2010 doesn't.
>>
>>52202703
>subreddit
Are you lost?
>>
>>52201485
For me it was actually when I was 20 and onward. I discovered Linux and computers became understandable machines instead of hostile black boxes. I knew fuck all about computers beyond games, MS Office, iTunes, and Firefox when I was 15.
>>
>>52203729
sometimes I feel like it
>>
>download and set Firefox as browser because it's new and awesome
>lesson's over, other fags come into the IT room to use the eMacs

>[complaining begins again]
>TEACHER, SOMEONE DELETED SAFARI AGAIN

those were the days
>>
When I was young, running MS DOS (dunno what version).

- Commander Keen
- Monster Bash
- Wolfenstein
- DooM

Then I discovered ZZT. Made levels and worlds in the built-in scripting language. I eventually wanted to make more complicated things and discovered QBasic. Spent tons of time drawing sprites and making little games all day.

Those were the days, /g/. ;_;
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.