[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why is it so popular?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 7
why is it so popular?
>>
>>52197660
Normalfags
>>
Google is an advertisement company so they advertise their products.
>>
>>52197696
You have to be 18 to post here
>>
ads
>>
>>52197660
Initially performed better than Firefox or IE were at the time.

Then, appeal to normies.
>>
File: apple logo.jpg (408 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
apple logo.jpg
408 KB, 1000x1000
Post the real logo and look in the top left; you'll find your answer.
>>
>>52197660

I use chromium, but I do rather like being logged into my google account and having a browser that shares my passwords between multiple devices.

It's pretty good for non-shady browsing.
>>
>>52197660
It works.
>>
I don't know man, it just werks
>>
>>52197926
What am I supposed to see in the top left anon ?
>>
>>52198043
The Apple logo in the reflection.
>>
Fast. Stable. No bullshit with needing to manually update Flash every 10 minutes to avoid getting pwned. Had a ton more screen real-estate than Firefox before they copied Chrome. Was first to right-click search. Was first to have tabs on the top of the screen.

Firefox has done nothing but copy Chrome's UI improvements while remaining slower and less stable, so there's literally no reason to use it over Chrome.
>>
doesnt lag as much as firecuck who is trying to catch up with e10s but thats breaking most addons right now
>>
>>52197660
it works
>>
File: pAjLgnf.jpg (110 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
pAjLgnf.jpg
110 KB, 2000x1000
>>52197926
America?
>>
When it came out, people were raving about it. It also did away with manually installing flash. It also made its way into every shareware installer on windows, and normies ended up trying it out. Kinda malicious way to do it but it worked out.

It's also worth noting that every other web browser went to shit right around the same time Chrome gained significant market share. And by "every other web browser", I mean Safari for windows being discontinued, Firefox getting the SJW infection and adding even more obnoxious botnets than chrome, and IE getting a bad rap for being slow.
>>
>>52197738
He is right m8
>>
>>52197738
retard
>>
Because it syncs nicely across devices, remote desktop in Chrome is awesome but most importantly, it's fast and stable. Also I'm a Google fag who uses way too many Google products to even care about what they do with my data.
>>
Because it syncs nicely across devices, remote desktop in Chrome is awesome but most importantly, it's fast and stable. Also I'm a Google fag who uses way too many Google products to even care about what they do with my data.
>>
>>52197953
Until laws change and the time you looked at the Bernie Sanders link will qualify you for a interment camp or make you lose your job.
>>
It just works™
>>
>>52198333
Common under age response
>>
>>52198417
Not even China is that bad yet
>>
>>52197660
It used to be fast
>>
File: google.png (30 KB, 1019x790) Image search: [Google]
google.png
30 KB, 1019x790
>>52197696
This.
Google puts ads for Chrome in AdSense, if you just open Google (with IE or Edge) there will be advertisement for Chrome (pic related).
It comes bundled with installers.
It is installed by default on Android.

If Chrome was not made by Google (but otherwise exactly the same), it wouldn't have become anywhere as popular as it is.
>>
>>52197660
aggressive google marketing
>>
>>52197660
Cause people like to take it in the ass
>>
Because it works.
>>
>>52198471
Why is this even allowed?

Microsoft got lawsuits up their asses for this kind of shit and Internet Explorer.
>>
>>52198600
because it's okay if google does it
>>
>>52198600
Why shouldn't a business be allowed to advertise their products on their own website?
>>
>>52198830
why shouldn't microloft be allowed to have their browser pre-installed on their OS?
>>
File: Capture.png (24 KB, 596x98) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
24 KB, 596x98
>>52198071
>Had a ton more screen real-estate than Firefox before they copied Chrome.
I can't stand how disgustingly curvy chrome is, and firefox is far easier to modify too.
>>
>>52198830
Microsoft got sued for bundling Internet Explorer with Windows and had to offer alternatives (but apparently not anymore).

Google actually got ordered by court in russia to stop pre-installing their apps on Android phones.Something about yandex losing marketshare to Google.
>>
>>52198431
Kek
>>
Safer and faster than FF.
>>
Because it's fucking simple. I give it to all my normie friends and family because Chrome + uBlock = no problems for me.

They somehow always manage to fuckup Firefox.
>>
Come on,you all know that chrome is technically the best and advanced browser and since everything is botnet today,I chose the botnet that at least works the best. If you are a web dev you already know this and remember the horror of firefox.
>>
Ignorance?
>>
because google pushes it and it is not horrendous
>>
>>52197660
Installed on android devices by default, just like why ie6 was so popular.
>>
It just seems. Except on my samshit tablet. Randomly after 10-20 minutes the browser starts being slow as shit and page loading takes 10+ seconds.

There is no CPU or wifo activity during that time, it just sits there. All other devices are fast as shit. Only way to get rid of it is reinstall chrome, clearing data doesn't do it.
>>
Use #NoChromo you faggots.
>>
>>52198066
oh shit conspiracy theory time!
what's in the bottom right tho? looks like the new-ish windows logo
>>
>>52197660
Because the world is filled with complete fucking retards.
>>
>>52201168
>using an outdated browser

Just use chrome with adaway
>>
>>52197660
let people to bought 16-32gb ram something
that can make sure of said ram.
>>
Just werks
Fast
Not Firefox
Convenient

I mean Firefox had it's things going for it a while ago but now it's just a shitty Chrome.
>>
switched to naked browser for mobile and never looked back. it's amazing
>>
Noobfags owns this shit
>>
>>52201585
Adaway doesn't stop the botnet.
>>
>Fast
>On virtually everything
>It syncs perfectly across all devices
>Tons of extensions
Botnet meme is pretty old.
>>
>>52197660
Because unlike fireshit it just fucking werks, does not make one stupid decision after another, does not fuck users over all the time, has performance that matches your pc unlike fireshit that lags like fuck for no goddamn reason, and doesn't pretend like sjw/social/whatever bullshit is relevant to the goal of making a browser.

Face it, chrome is the more focused, better implemented, more survivable browser.
>>
>>52202114
it is still accurate.
>>
>>52197660
just werks
>>
>>52202120
you sound like an 8 year old
>>
>>52197660
>it just werks
>>
Until something more stable and fast comes around I will always use it. It consistently stays fast and stable with every release. Something Fireshit can only dream of instead of getting worse with every release.
>>
>>52197660
It's the best browser, simple. It's fast, doesn't crash, it keeps improving, doesn't have anything obtrusive, it supports most web standards, everything just werks on it, yadda yadda.

It's also the best browser for developing, because of unparalelled dev tools.
>>
Because it is the best fucking browser our there if you aren't a tinfoil hat retard.
>>
Fast, best browser, extensions, it works with my phone and across all my devices, secure, themes actually change things, html5.

This whole "act like things that are actually really good are shit" fad in /g/ needs to die already.
>>
>>52202984
chrome is a pleb browser. the new internet explorer
>>
>>52202777
trips speaks the truth
>>
>>52198417
>le slippery slope maymay
>>
Because of V8. V8 is so damn fast, seriously. All javascript intensive web works very smooth.
>>
>>52197660

Firefox keeps fucking shit up.
>>
/g/ has certainly fallen with all these trashy Millennials.
>>
Money.
They don't even have to compete anymore. If another company outdoes them at anything they will simply buy it and use them like a puppet.

Really the only parts of Google I can't be bothered to ditch is Gmail, Youtube and image searching.

I've cut them out of everything else I do online and make it a point to block anything related to do with google in my script add-ons.
It feels okay.
I really don't give a fuck if they know what videos I watch and keep track of my boring work emails.
>>
>>52197660
In its early days, on old hardware, it launched much faster than Firefox from a cold start. So I tended to open it first, and gradually used it for more of everything. It didn't have everything I liked in Firefox, but I got it into a decently comfy shape.

Later on, Firefox started going full retard, giving me fewer reasons to switch back even when they (reportedly) improved cold-boot speed and I got newer hardware. I still keep it around for certain things though, like print scaling.
>>
JUST

WERKS

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

WERKS
>>
>>52198417
This isn't the usual narrative here, you should be saying that time you look at conservative/fascist things.
>>
File: google-toolbar-for-firefox-21.png (119 KB, 700x365) Image search: [Google]
google-toolbar-for-firefox-21.png
119 KB, 700x365
>>52198895
This is how Firefox looked when Chrome came out
>>
>>52198417
If you don't vote for trump, you deserve interment camp, better vote for the right politician this year.
>>
It comes with smartphones
>>
>>52209073
>google used to be just an add-on
>now its your life

What a time to be alive
>>
>>52197660
>>52197660
Cause its the quickest and breddy safe.
I'm safari master race though. Dat keychain and trackpad animutions
Also no botnet
>>
It's fancy and fast for me.
>>
>>52210286
By /g/ definition it's botnet. But Safari on OSX (iOS) and Edge on Windows are the most efficient and smooth browser out there.
>>
>>52197660
Because retards install whatever pops up on their screen without thinking.
Same reason Windows 10 is so popular.
>>
>>52198865
Because Microsoft had something stupid like 98% market share. Apple computers were a fairly niche thing. Linux and BSD were only used by developers. There were no smartphones. There were no tablets. Most people only had one family computer and it ran Windows. So when Microsoft started acting anti-competitively, it was a big deal.

Google may have a lot of outreach, but there are still plenty of other web browsers in use. Most Apple devices aren't using Chrome, they're using Safari. Plenty of people still use Firefox on all flavors of OSes as well. Internet Explorer is still a thing too. Google is nowhere near the monopoly that Microsoft was.
>>
Because for me it works better than this meme Browser called Firefox.
>>
firefox shit the bed at the wrong time
>>
Normies love sharing details of their personal lives, even if its with the botnet
>>
>>52197660
Because it is fucking fast. And secure.
What else you basically want/need from a browser?
>>
>>52197660
best render engine.
automatically high http request amount.
smoothscrolling is disabled by default.

get chromium, though.
>>
>>52197660
because it just werks
>>
>>52197660
It's fast and doesn't have 990000 toolbars like IE.
The appearance and speed is what gave it popularity in the first place, and it has been able to maintain it.
>>
>>52212710
>secure
>Chrome

What's next, Windows doesn't spy on you?
>>
>>52209073
Bullshit, FF doesn't come with a preinstalled google toolbar.
>>
>>52213775
it is very secure due to sandboxing, multi processing, etc.
>>
>>52197660
I fucking hate it, I prefer Firefox. Or any other browser not based on Chromium.
>>
File: poster.jpg (37 KB, 430x336) Image search: [Google]
poster.jpg
37 KB, 430x336
>>52214379
>>
>>52214488
/pol/ pls
>>
>>52197660
> Advertised on Google homepage and on many other places
> Bundled with software on popular normie software sites such as Softonic
> Default browser on Android and Chrome OS
> Some sites jew you to use it
>>
>>52210395
Not the guy you responded to, but I still don't understand what the problem with them including IE was.

I'm not a M$ fanboi by any stretch but whats the problem if a company advertises their own products on their other products? If you don't like them doing it just don't use their shit anymore. Too stupid to know about/figure out how to install other browsers? Too bad, that's your fault for being a dumbass, not macrosucks.

I think google got in trouble in the eu for putting google maps on the top of it's search results when people searched for 'maps' which is also total bullshit. Google and M$ aren't public utilities, they're for-profit companies that understandably want to use their platforms to shill the rest of their products. Saying they can't do that is like telling you you can't put a sign on the front of your business since it might hurt other local business' market share.

Fuck both Google and Microsoft, but in those cases they were entirely within their rights.
>>
Shoved down the throats of people through tie-ins where it's installed with other products, and a huge amount of advertising, and honestly just good word of mouth.

It's been the fastest browser on the market more often than not, and it's just as extensible as firefox.

Firefox is going to shit because they care more about being SJWs than good software now. Firing a CEO because of his personal beliefs was a huge facepalm moment for me.

IE and Safari always have and always will be shit, Safaris only merit is that it tends to extend battery life compared to other browsers on mac.

Lol every other browser.
>>
Chromium is alright. If only they didn't remove the option to remove that godawful user button.
>>
>>52214782
Also I forgot, it also has the best syncing feature of any browser.
>>
Because Firefox still handles all tabs and extensions in a single thread and it won't be fixed until mid-2016
>>
>>52210395
I understand what you're saying in principle but it doesn't make sense in practice. The EU forced microsoft to offer a choice of browsers with the OS, and it turned out to result in other browsers becoming no more competitive than they were in North America where IE could be pre-installed with the OS.

It was rather pointless activism by the courts in retrospect, what was really needed to unseat IE was a superior product (netscape was barely better than IE and being constantly fucked with, firefox was much better), and good marketing (chrome).
>>
>User runs any program installer in 2010
>Chrome is bundled, checked by default
>Chrome launches after installing and asks to be made default browser

This is how Chrome got its market share. They legally, but unethically, infiltrated the web browser market and now rule it.
>>
>>52215051
Meanwhile Firefox

>Laggy GUI while heavy script is executing, stopped working on e10s years ago and now are catching up
>Slower startup
>Daily new problems with Flash, which you must update manually or you have to run another service that auto updates flash
>Profile corruption, meaning you have to create new one from time to time
>Meaningful features are available later than on Chrome/IE/Edge (YT 60FPS, synchronization, ...)
>Android version is noticeably slower on page loading times and scrolling is just horrible
>No iOS version for years, and now it's built on Webkit
>Adding features no one asks for (Pocket, Hello, Social services)
>Fucking up the addons API so it will have as much customizability as Chrome does
>Not listening to the wishes of userbase (Australis, Pocket integration, ...)
>Throwing away limited budget on Firefox OS, which is not needed at all
>Developers are focusing on "exciting" new features (VR support), but are ignoring bugs, that are present for years (Blurry fonts when fast scrolling on Android)

Yeah, there is literally no reason to use Chrome, it just fools user to start using it.
>>
>>52197660
compared to what? firefox?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
Do we have any choice? There is only Firefox not being based on Chromium and it lags as hell on my quad core laptop because of lack of multithreading in 2016.
>>
>>52215526
>>52215051
Chrome is yet another example of why proprietary software is better than open sores.
>>
>>52215786
It's about having having strong leadership and big budget and set the direction you want your project to take. Which Google makes possible, don't forget that Chrome is just Chromium with closed sourced pdf reader, updater and flash.
When you have limited budget, no leadership and everyone is doing what they want, it just can't have good outcome.
>>
>>52215786
>what is chromium
>>
>>52197660

Chrome is shit. The alternatives are shittier. That's really it.
>>
I was a Firefox devotee for years, but in just the past couple days, I decided to switch to Chromium. I was tired of several annoying habits Firefox had that were only getting worse. One of the biggest was that it would freeze for a while when I opened a link in a new tab in such a way that I had to wait for the new page to load before I could do a single thing with the browser. It's fair enough for it to be slow if I have several tabs open, but it's becoming more and more like Explorer on Windows where if you accidentally start it, you waste time waiting for it to fully load just so you can shut it down and run a better browser. I recently heard they spent some ungodly amount of money on removing the word "slave" from their code because it was offensive, which shows that their priorities are not with improving the browser.
>>
>>52218154
one thing I missed after FF is the "awesomebar" on top. but Vivaldi to the rescue, its got everything I want.

beta 2 is now perfectly fine for daily browsing / main browser.
>>
It just is
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.