[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we save HDDs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 12
File: 1363986785992,0.jpg (29 KB, 648x365) Image search: [Google]
1363986785992,0.jpg
29 KB, 648x365
There's been a nasty marketing scheme to discredit them lately.
>>
wut
>>
>mechanical parts
we dont
>>
Save them? They're great why would they need saving.
They're not even in danger of going away due to consumers because the NSA and facebook and bluekai buy HDDs by the truckload.
>>
>>52190308
I don't understand that stock photo, it's not like the drive has an element lined up to her right eye. Just looks odd.
>>
>>52190308
Eh. They've reached a wall at this point, and SMR and HMMR aren't going to dramatically up the storage or access speed, in particular, so inevitably they're going to get legacy'd and reduced to backup systems. Dunno if SSDs will ever compete tb wise.
>>
>>52190308
With single-molecule magnets the storage capacity of a single HDD will become nearly endless.
>>
File: astc_technology_roadmap_575px.png (355 KB, 678x499) Image search: [Google]
astc_technology_roadmap_575px.png
355 KB, 678x499
Well this hard drive manufacturer says everything is fine. And they certainly don't have a vested interest in lying to us.

http://anandtech.com/show/9858/seagate-hard-disk-drives-set-to-stay-relevant-for-20-years
>>
how do we save cassette tapes?

The music industry is lying to us with the whole "CDs are better" meme
>>
>>52192133
>using disposable, spinning optical media as a futuristic reference in contrast to an already modern medium that uses a far-more-advanced oscillating disc format
>as if it were more dated
Jump off a fucking bridge or build one and get over it. SSD is already a terrible, sorcerer's answer to already ancient NOR/NAND tech and it all wonderfully ages prematurely passing by all of us for a scant few adoptive years only to prove that this is ephemeral, eternally impermanent shitsuxfag.
>>
>>52190308
They're not going anywhere m8. Not in the near future. Maybe for normal fags they'll disappear, but they will probably just use tablets and smartphones at that point.
>>
How do we bring back tape drives for the home user?

Everybody says, "We ought to back up regularly." nobody has the proper equipment for it. Because tape drives are treated as industrial specialty products, they're expensive when they could be very cheap as mass-market products.

What you really want is SSDs in all of your user-terminal computers and devices, a data server with HDD RAID for bulk storage, and a tape drive for routine backup.
>>
>>52192899
>mad poorfag
I will never go back to an HDD after using SSDs.
They last longer, too, retard.
>>
What do you think all these cloud services use?

Fucking HDD, millions of them. SSD a shit.
>>
File: netscape.jpg (141 KB, 803x600) Image search: [Google]
netscape.jpg
141 KB, 803x600
So how long until the noise of a failing hard drive is considered nostalgic and heavily incorporated into hip and trendy music?
>>
>>52193210
Even if we could bring tape drives down to a sane cost, would they actually provide any real benefit to the normal home user?
If I have 2.5TB of videos and backups and shit, paying a little extra to be able to seek in milliseconds rather than minutes seems like a pretty good deal.

>>52193102
>Maybe for normal fags they'll disappear,
If HDDs disappear from homes any time soon, they're not going to be replaced by large SSDs. They'll be replaced by "The Cloud".
Honestly I'm not sure that will happen, though. - External HDDs are cheap, and cloud storage doesn't have nearly as fantastic a reputation as providers would like.
>>
>>52193288
b8
>>
>>52190308
>There's been a nasty marketing scheme
You mean facts?
>>
>>52190308
what options are there for optical-magnetic disks?
i really like the mini disk style media, but it seems capacity tops out at like ~2gb
isn't there anything better?

tape can gtfo
>>
I've got 4 of those niggers in my desktop
If I could get 2tb ssd's for $100 that would last for more than 10 years I would have 4 ssd's
>>
HDD's need to die.
>>
>discrediting technology.

The fuck is this, vaping? No one gives a shit. Use an HDD for storage and SDD's for your OS and you'll be right as rain.
>>
File: yang w.jpg (61 KB, 524x479) Image search: [Google]
yang w.jpg
61 KB, 524x479
>>52193333
If you want your shit to last, go for tape first, then mechanical spindles and your more actively accessed media on a bastardized, RAID- spoofing version of thumb drives. Please, don't but ever, ever forsake longevity if ever you fear losing whatever precious garbage you salvage off the Net on a daily basis.

We're all on the cusp of dumping SSDs anyway with more promising technologies emerging. So I say, on that certain note, don't break the bank and don't fucking well extol even one lone pay check from the workplace or the government on a fucking slot-in PCI-Express card. If you do, expect the firmware to die out fast or the investment to heavily decline in value rapidly once a die shrink breath-through trundles along in the next few months.
>>
File: rack_0.jpg (313 KB, 797x1200) Image search: [Google]
rack_0.jpg
313 KB, 797x1200
I don't know much about this stuff, but HGST's helium filled drives seem pretty advanced.
>>
File: yang baching.jpg (71 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
yang baching.jpg
71 KB, 960x720
>>52193798
>helium-filled
I was under the impression two or more companies were competing alongside each other with that particular bit-pinching innovation. Tell me I'm wrong if you know for sure.
>>
People that think SSDs are bad technology are literally the dumbest people on this board.
>>
Tfw no back up drive
>>
>>52194007
iktf
I have a laptop that can hold two drives and I only have one because poorfag.
>>
>>52194007
Shit's cheap as shit, you friendly fucker. Do it sooner as a favour for the rest of us so that we don't suffer your foibles if you lose your generous booty of pirated...everything.
>>
>>52194023
>>52194037
Maybe next month, i blew everything last year.
I have two storage 1TBs that is almost full.
>>
>>52194061
Bitch, 6TB drives are going to be outdated soon.
>>
Will SSDs ever beat HDDs for cost per gigabyte?
>>
>>52194092
Nobody needs that much space dood.
>>
>>52194108
Tell that to my 12TB ZFS array, faggot.
>>
>>52194007
Honestly neither do I. I have a google drive that has a couple important documents like my resume. All my music is on my computer and an SD card in my phone.

If I lose everything else on my computer I really wouldn't care.
>>
>>52194108
>t. Bill Gates
Cease this corporate-empathizing meme.
>>
>>52194129
What could you possibly have that takes up more than one terabyte.
Seriously, do you even use that much space?
If you do then you have a problem.
>>
>>52194205
I barely use up all the space on my 160 gig drive.
I'm sorry I dont wanna store hundreds of episodes of my anime on my drive at one time.
samefag pls.
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 588x441) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 588x441
Superior in every way
>>
>>52194207
Maintaining a good ratio on several private trackers.
>>
>>52194240
Okay that is understandable.
>>
>>52194264
Fuck ratios. Why should I ever lose 1080p rips of CCS and SEL off my hard disk, PERIOD?
>>
>buying products that are guaranteed to fail
>>
>>52194092
Considering 8tb drives have existed for a while, I'm not sure where you're going with that outdated point. Beside smr and hamr don't seem to ne paying off the way we thought. I kinda question 15tb without some new better material or something.

>>52194307
>1080p rips of CCS
good taste, Tomoyo-chan. HD Sakura the best.
>>
>>52194320
>it all returns to nothing
>>
>>52194307
Because once you go past 720p there's not much of a difference senpai
>>
>>52194320
Isn't everything in life guaranteed to fail?
>>
>>52193736
Were you in the middle of a stroke while writing this?
>>
File: tickled with delight.gif (852 KB, 500x341) Image search: [Google]
tickled with delight.gif
852 KB, 500x341
>>52194336
ANYA~N
>>
>>52194350
>This is what NORMIES actually believe
>>
>>52194386
Are you signialling me as being decrepit because I'm not entranced by equally decrepit flash memory technology, buddy? Hard disks have been the only dependable technology that hasn't had to drastically change or dispose of part of itself in order to make way for a purposeful successor,

Literally, SSDs are shit-tier technology with short-term benefits while discarding the fact that they cannot handle greater longevity, manufacturer updates and various bugs and manufacturer's damning mistakes. NAND was never the future and is certainly going to be only varying interpretations of professionally dead within 5-10 years.
>>
>>52194508
Actually, normies are the ones attracted to BEST OF THE BEST OF THE BEST buzzwords like 1080p and, even worse, 4K.
>>
>>52193384

Because the BSOD BZZZZTTT sound wasn't anxiety inducing enough
>>
>paying hundreds of dollars for the privilege of not uploading your data to the "botnet"

You conspiracyfags will believe anything. Thanks for keeping the price gouging, legacy HDD companies around. Too bad HDD storage is going to get eclipsed in price, performance, and total storage within the next 5 years.
>>
File: 1438118308050.png (158 KB, 436x278) Image search: [Google]
1438118308050.png
158 KB, 436x278
How do we save Tapes?

There's been a nasty marketing scheme to discredit them lately
>>
>>52194552
You're missing the point that olden, properly hand-drawn animation benefits from the genuine upscale transfer from 720p to 1080p. Whysoever you'd reel in 4K bickering into the conversation of Annie-May is so irrelevant that it borders on uninformed boastfulness.
>>
>>52193394
>Even if we could bring tape drives down to a sane cost, would they actually provide any real benefit to the normal home user?
>If I have 2.5TB of videos and backups and shit, paying a little extra to be able to seek in milliseconds rather than minutes seems like a pretty good deal.
Tapes are much more durable than HDDs for backup, and they should be significantly cheaper per unit capacity, if they're produced in similar quantity.

What tapes are good for is archival backup. For this, seek speed doesn't matter, being able to get your data back does.

You stack up your tapes in a firesafe or safety deposit box, and you can be confident that data is there, waiting for you whenever you need it. If the drive you recorded the tape with fails, you can simply replace it, and read the data.

If you stick an HDD in a safe for years, who knows what will happen when you plug it in again? HDDs fail unpredictably, in operation or in storage. Even if you buy two or three different brands, they could all fail because they bought from the same batch of bad components. You want your archival media to be simple and separable from its drive.

Everyone has precious data, and nearly everyone stores it unreliably, with insufficient backups.
>>
>>52194522
Except that SSDs last longer than HDDs.

I'm sorry that you fell for an obvious scam buying a 128GB SSD for $50 two years ago
>BECAUSE IT'S 90%* OFF!!!
that failed in a couple months because it didn't even have TRIM or some shit.

But if you aren't a dumbass consumer, SSDs blow HDDs out of the fucking water in every metric besides price and capacity.
>>
>>52194617
Well I wouldn't know about that personally; I don't watch cartoons.
>>
>>52194594
If you won't eat shit and die, eat your own words that will turn to shit and die at any convenient time thereafter.

Hard disk technology will long survive flat pieces of multi-limbed, cockroach substrate technology The times we live in will undoubtedly favour other low-power technology with a more wholesome concentration level that hopes to promise and achieve speed and the best fall flat, '

All of this is in certain certainty,but also concern and doubt, that a forgiveness would be floating around the place. I'll say sorry certainly to him, right accross...
>>
File: 6[1].jpg (465 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
6[1].jpg
465 KB, 1280x1024
WD GREEN STRONK!
FUCK MAXTOR!
>>
>>52194657
Every SSD has a determinable shelf life. Only the worst of HDDs prove to be an aid to the glorification to networked flash drives. They are meaningless indulging in misanthropy and the nonsense, just by sitting there and listening to many other ideas. indulging those same-in-through strikes as very, very bad.
>>
just dont fall for the ssd meme
enjoy the same speeds and free money
>>
>>52194834
>Every SSD has a determinable shelf life.
The actual endurance of each NAND is actually set within a range of possible lifetimes. There is noise in the fabbing process and that translates to variable endurances, but they fall within a range.
If you get two SSDs that are otherwise identical then they the memory is only likely to fail within a specific range. The endurance quoted by manufacturers is an average endurance.
But if anything, the fact that SSDs come with longer warranties than HDDs should tell you everything about how reliable each is.
>>
>>52194233
>Superior in every way
come back after ten years of use and i might believe you.
>>
>>52194834
You just don't like the idea of them, and you've heard of write exhaustion without even bothering to look at the numbers.
A typical 160GB SSD with 25nm NAND cells should work for nearly 40 years at 10GB/day written before write exhaustion degrades the drive to an unusable state.

Obviously one would stop using the drive long before that because it would slow down, but storage technology will be miles ahead of where it is now in just a fourth of that time, and you'd likely replace the drives anyway, no different than HDDs. All the while giving you vastly better performance and 1/20th (or better) the power consumption.
>>
>>52194599
Wise old cat.
>>
>How do we save HDDs?
>we
>>
I don't see the point in saving them. How many 5.25" drives do you currently use?

>>52193333
3x4
>>
>>52190338
This is the correct answer. All things move according to the will of the great magnet. Don't defy him.
>>
>>52195072
Why? Sata 3 hasn't been here 10yrs.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.