[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Apple still put 16:10 displays in their laptops Why are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: DSC_7407.jpg (650 KB, 1900x1258) Image search: [Google]
DSC_7407.jpg
650 KB, 1900x1258
>Apple still put 16:10 displays in their laptops

Why are Apple so based?
>>
Why are black bars so based? 16:9 is the industry standard hipster.
>>
>>52188853

Apple is actually good at a lot of things, and has lots of practices that are positive.

I still hesitate to buy anything from them, however.
>>
>>52188864
No its not. 16:9 is consumer standard. The industry still uses 16:10.
>>
>>52188853
>no cooling trap
>laptop on glass table

Why do you people spend thousands on a laptop but not $10 to get a decent laptop tray with cooling fan? Not only it allows to adjust elevation and tilt, it keeps the temps under control in peak summer days and during gaming sessions.
>>
>>52188951
>gayming
>laptop
>>>/v/
>>
>>52188951
Because it's running the fucking browser, smartarse.
>>
File: wasted.jpg (71 KB, 671x518) Image search: [Google]
wasted.jpg
71 KB, 671x518
>>52188853
they put 16:10 to compensate for wasted space marked in the pic

joking aside - 16:10 is the single reason i'd go for a macbook since not even thinkpad uses 16:9
>>
>>52188966
>>52188997
In general it is a good practice to not let the laptop touch the surface and accumulate heat. The battery life is greatly reduced by constant heat under the laptop which has no way of circulation without an elevated tray with a fan.
>>
>>52189009

>not even thinkpad uses 16:9

Modern Thinkpad is dead though.
>no one makes a tough, affordable windoes laptop anymore
>it makes more sense to get a macbook and run bootcamp
>>
>>52189069
When thinkpads were affordable?
>>
>>52188865
I seem them as a necessary evil to use Linux on good, sturdy laptops. Macs are well built.
>>
>>52189107
When thinkpads were thinkpads and not ideapads marketed as thinkpads. My T420 was ass and less sturdy than my fucking Macbook Air.

When my macbook dies, I'm replacing it with a tablet and bluetooth keyboard/mouse. Desktop for intense shit.
>>
>>52189165
>tablet and bluetooth keyboard/mouse

Hard to use on your lap though
>>
>>52189009
>2016
>Not setting the dock to autohide

baka
>>
>>52189182
I was thinking that I would use the tablet normally when I'm away from some sort of desk.
>>
is 16:10 on laptop patented?
whats the reason other manufacturers don't use it?
>>
>>52189224
16:9 is cheaper because it's slightly less tall (at volume it does matter), and manufacturers can pitch it as being better for watching video which is increasingly in 16:9.

but mostly it's cheaper.
>>
>>52189195
Autohide is shit. Intellihide is the only reasonable option in 2016.
>>
>>52189224
because panel manufacturers are retarded and forced the shitty 16:9 meme on everyone, if you have the money 16:10 panels; even more money, GOAT 3:2

they are trying to do the same with 21:9
>>
>>52189252
>meme
thanks for signaling that you're a retard.
>>
>>52189288
>getting triggered this easily
>>>reddit
>>
>>52189252
Why would you even want 21:9? So your device could spread across the average fatass american's lap?
>>
>>52189234
ok let me tell you something. 16:9 is not cheaper because it's "less tall". it's because it's used everywhere and there's A LOT of it. it's a standard batch production principle; panel manufacturers can afford to mass produce 16:9 because they know there are many potential applications, such as laptops, pc monitors, TVs, etc...

anything that's not 16:9 by default becomes exotic and more expensive to produce because it limits the potential market; no longer can you use the same 16:10 panel in a TV, because who the fuck would buy a 16:10 TV?

plus, there's a thing called demand. more and more people switch from 16:10 monitors to 16:9 because they are significantly cheaper and more widely available. few people care enough to pay a premium for a few extra pixels and manufacturers these days generally won't risk investing in what is a dying market.

in case of Apple, they can afford to do what they want, so why not? it's not as if paying a premium has ever stopped Apple consumers.
>>
More for web browsing and work flow
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.