[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck does 'scroll lock' even do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: Laptop-Keyboard-for-HP-6530.jpg (19 KB, 417x211) Image search: [Google]
Laptop-Keyboard-for-HP-6530.jpg
19 KB, 417x211
What the fuck does 'scroll lock' even do?
>>
>>52188280
locks the scroll
>>
>>52188280
No clue. For that matter, what does "Break" "Pause" and "SysRq" do?
>>
>>52188280
Switches between KVMs.
>>
>>52188315

sysRQ or print screen actually printed out your current screen in DOS

Pause is the best way to pause a game (still works)

and windows key + pause is the fastest way to my system in control panel
>>
>>52188280
Try scrolling with MMB pressed and then press Scroll Lock

>>52188315
>Pause Break
Puts PC to sleep and wakes it up.
>Pause
Pauses video games.
>SysRq
Print screen?
>>
>>52188280
Fuck I don't know
>>
Holdovers from old days before gaymez or VMs

http://www.howtogeek.com/125315/htg-explains-what-are-the-sys-rq-scroll-lock-and-pausebreak-keys-on-my-keyboard/
>>
>Winkey+Scroll Lock
>>
>>52188280
In MS Excel it lock your spreadsheet and you are able to scroll the whole sheet with the arrow keys not just jump around in individual cells.
>>
>SysRq
I remember that key back from my UNIX days.
>>
/g/
2016 AD

>>52188280

Technology board................
>>
>>52188315
>Pause | Break
works in POST
>>
>>52188280
Google mofo, have you heard of it?
>>
>>52188280
when scroll lock is active, using the arrow keys in a terminal will scroll the screen, not move the cursor.

>>52188315
>SysRq
enables fun mode
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key
>>
>>52188336
>and windows key + pause is the fastest way to my system in control panel
...whoa. I learned something. Thanks anon.
>>
Those keys were probably put there before modern operating systems. It was a terrible design decision desu.
>>
>>52188280
Linux kernel console.
>>
File: soup.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
soup.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>52188280
I use the lock keys to play with the lights in sequences like
O - -
- O -
- - O
or like this
O O -
- O O
O - O
or dis
O - O
- O -
>>
Idk but it took screenshot in maplestory
>>
>The Scroll Lock key was meant to lock all scrolling techniques, and is a remnant from the original IBM PC keyboard. In the original design, Scroll Lock was intended to modify the behavior of the arrow keys. When the Scroll Lock mode was on, the arrow keys would scroll the contents of a text window instead of moving the cursor.[1][2] In this usage, Scroll Lock is a toggling lock key like Num Lock or Caps Lock, which have a state that persists after the key is released.

>Today, this particular use of Scroll Lock is rare. Modern programs honoring this behavior include IBM Lotus Notes, Forté Agent, Image-Line FL Studio, Renoise, Microsoft Excel, and on occasions[citation needed] Microsoft Word.
>>
On some text editors turning on scroll lock allows the arrow keys to scroll through the document much faster as opposed to line by line with the cursor.
>>
>>52191138
Are you me?
>>
>>52188315
Pause actually is pause in Stalker I belive.

I believe some of those buttons actually meant something in DOS applications.
>>
>>52191138
There is a winamp plugin that does that when you play a song.
>>
>>52188407
Don't do shit
>>
>>52189862
It's called a discussion, "mofo".
>>
>>52198049
name?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.