[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Coding Help?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Twitch Banner.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Twitch Banner.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Hey guys. I'm not "that" new to programming. However, I know it's what I want to do with my life. I want to code for a living. Coding is exciting. It's relaxing. I can kick back, watch Netflix on one monitor, and code on the other. Now I understand that I can't do that for a living like that, but it's nice to do now.

My ultimate goal, is to design games. I know, it's the typical wish. But I'm not some 12 year old who wants to copy and paste his way to the top. I'm looking to create for myself. If others like it, great. If not, that's great to. I'm looking to make things for myself, that others might happen to enjoy.

Anyway, after that long introduction.. where do I start? I started looking into CSS (and HTML, but I'm pretty fluent in basic-moderately advanced HTML) on CodeAcademy. However, CSS and HTML just don't speak to me. I can't see myself enjoying doing website development.

So, it all comes down to game development. Would a good start be ActionScript 3.0, and develop flash games? As far as I'm aware, my main options are Python, C#, C++, or Flash.

I'd be super happy if you could send some recommendations my way, and if you'd like, some examples of games that were made with said language.

Sorry for the wall of text, and thanks!
>>
I'd also appreciate it if you'd refrain from saying "start anywhere". I prefer a solid starting point, and I can go on my own from there. Thanks again!
>>
>>52187070
>being this lost
>being this delusional

Nice meemay loser :^)
>>
>>52187070
Here is you're reply.
>>
>OP honestly believes he's a hacker because he has two monitors and writes "basic moderately advanced" HTML

I keked, is this serious?

Also,
>actionscript
>>
>>52187132
Yes, because I said I thought I was a hacker based on having dual monitors.

Also, I meant basic TO moderately advanced.

I'll admit. I am pretty stupid when it comes to this, but that's why I'm willing, and trying to learn.
>>
>>52187070
Your sincerity of tone is very disarming and disguises your troll well.

Well done, friend.

Also:
> into the /g/arbage it goes.
>>
>>52187213
I wasn't trolling actually.

Oh well.. I guess I'm that stupid..
>>
>>52187070
>CodeAcademy.

Code academy is shit, if you need a free learning reasource use www.udacity.com their "intro to computer science 101" course (it's free if you choose "view course materials" when enrolling)

https://www.udacity.com/course/intro-to-computer-science--cs101

Is excellent for new programmers where you will learn python, after you have learned python other languages are easier to learn. Python CAN be used for game development (this course might be useful https://www.coursera.org/course/interactivepython1 )

But it's not suitable for anything other than the easiest game. The reason I want you to start with Python is that it's fairly easy to learn and takes little time to actually make something cool. Developing flash games is a waste of time in a year or two flash will be gone.

There IS a framework I would recommend AFTER you get some some programming experience and learn to read docs [because there is no good tutorials for it] and so on, and that is Unity. ( http://unity3d.com/ )
Unity does not make the most optimized games, it will run slow and use ton more memory than a normal programming language, but the beauty of it is that it is easy to get Unity to work on Windows, Linux, Mac and even iPhone and Android. Lots of games like Kerbal space program, City skylines, HITMAN: SNIPER and many other indie and studio games have been made with it. It saves you the time creating your own engine and so on. Theoretically you can do perfectly fine as a professional just doing work in Unity.

But Flash is shit, avoid it like the plague. C++ is great for gaming, if you know C++ you can make what ever you want.
>>
Come on /g/. Give the kid a break. We all started somewhere. He's just trying to learn, and is confused where to start.
>>
>>52187070
Learn Java
>>
>>52187070
make something cool. use what you already know. finished projects are the biggest factor in getting a job.
>>
>>52187274
Java is shit for gaming. Java have existed for like hundred years and only ONE proper game have sucessfully been made by it and that is Minecraft. And Minecraft works DESPITE Java because Minecraft have so simple graphics.
>>
>>52187243
Do you want to get paid to write code for game engines some day?

Do you actually want to design game mechanics?

Are you aware that designing game mechanics and coding game engines are typically two entirely different positions?

Are you aware that coding in the gaming industry - say PC games for sake of example - means C++ and will likely be not as relaxing / exciting for you as your Netflix coding sessions? It also means getting paid less than non-game-related programmers.
>>
File: 2015.gif (4 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
2015.gif
4 MB, 480x270
OP can't be older than 14
>>
>>52187070
Make some stuff in unity with c# there's plenty of tutorials for it. It dossn't matter.what you start with as long as you finish it before moving onto learning something else. Also be less gay when asking for help especially on /g/
>>
>>52187070
I don't know much about game development. I messed around with it for a few weeks a while back though. Try grabbing RPG maker ace, it's on sale right now, learn Ruby, which is really really basic, and try messing with the built in script editor and doing different things on there. An example would be turning it from a turn based battle system to an active one using Ruby. Another project would be drawing weapons and spells and using them in the game. Doing this would kind of help you with seeing the possibilities that weren't originally in the dev engine. If you want C++ try standard edition of leadwerks. These are good places to start and are relatively easy and fun.
>>
>>52187400
>It dossn't matter.what you start with as long as you finish it before moving onto learning something else.

This... AND keep record and backup of all your sourcecode and games. So you can create a github account with examples of your work if you apply for a job. Unless one of your games pan out like minecraft and you become a millionarie indie dev who don't need to work for anyone else. It's still useful to save EVERYTHING you code so you have tons of examples. Save it on dropbox, google drive AND on physical form. back it up.
>>
>>52187070
Flash is basically dead. Learn C++ if you want to into vidya, Java and Swift if you're after easy money with apps.
>>
>>52187549
>Java and Swift if you're after easy money with apps.

But with games Unity is easier, just learn ONE language that works on both iphone and android. (and linux, windows and mac desktops). Java and swift is useful if you want to make other kinds of apps or if you want to make iphone/android exclusives. But unless google/apple pay you tons of money to be a exclusive then why would you?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.