[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guys how do I get an IT job? I know python, Java, and SQL and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8
File: 4479542-xsmall.jpg (102 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
4479542-xsmall.jpg
102 KB, 400x267
Guys how do I get an IT job?

I know python, Java, and SQL and I have a wealth of knowledge about network technician stuff. I'm currently a senior in college and I just need an internship before I graduate.

I don't really know what I'd like to do with my IT degree, but for now I'd like to start out with Network technician work as that seems to interest me the most in IT. But I have no fucking clue where to start looking for an internship and the clock is ticking until I starve as a NEET in my apartment. I just lost my job at olive garden and I'm pretty broke.
>>
>>52183102
Also I have 5 years in the military working with artillery computers and have a secret clearance if that means anything.
>>
I am in your exact same position. It all depends on where you live.

I am trying to set up my github account with nice projects to look at to impress employers, so I put it on my resume. Dunno if that works but at least I keep busy in the meantime.
>>
>>52183179
I've been spending my time making cheat sheets and quick reference guides for everything I know IT related.
>>
there should be career fairs at the school few times a year. or work at school.
>>
Too many threads about jobs and courses today.
You NEETs think it's time to turn your lives around now because of stupid resolutions? GIVE IT UP.

Where do you live
Degree in what

I'm pretty sure if you told those olive garden plebs you knew computers they would have kept you on
>>
>>52183230
Can I have them?
>>
>>52183243
yes. Here's my Java quick-guide

https://www.dropbox.com/home/aaaSchool/IT%20214?preview=Big+Bad+Java+Study+Guide.docx
>>
File: tumblr_nmq43cI0Bs1tbqfzwo1_400.gif (1 MB, 375x211) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmq43cI0Bs1tbqfzwo1_400.gif
1 MB, 375x211
>>52183102
Apply for local ISP's tech support. Or if you can't find a tech job join the Airforce or Army as a network technician.

I'm a sophmore in college and work at an ISP that works around my school schedule because my major is Comp Sci and I had a year of related experience before.

>tldr done be autistic and just go find a job
>>
>>52183463
Also to add to my point I don't have an intership. Those are for faggots.
>>
>>52183463
I'm already in the army doing computer shit. Employers in the real world aren't as impressed with that shit as the recruiter had me believe.
>>
>>52183511
Have you considered looking for a government contractor position?
>>
>>52183102
IT guy here; everything you learned about programming is not necessary for an IT job so don't bother with that crap.
>>
>>52183828
How is that remotely true? Every position i've applied for or heard my friends applying for had a technical interview and the majority of the questions were about programming.
>>
File: 1451030585085.gif (2 MB, 297x216) Image search: [Google]
1451030585085.gif
2 MB, 297x216
>>52183865
IT is not the same thing as "Development" in most places. IT is generally associated with deployment of new systems and the maintenance of current ones (including tech support).
>>
>>52183865
Then they weren't IT jobs. IT positions do not care about programming because they are not software engineers. You have vendors that supply software and if something is fucked with that software you contact their support.
>>
>>52183890
>not naming that image 'pc master race'

You missed a trick.
>>
>>52183943
>>52183890
Where would I look for an IT job then? I want to do actual IT stuff. I fucking hate programming
>>
>>52184038
really most companies have a need for IT just have to scattershot your resume across these companies. What worked for me in the beginning, that is just to get a job early on, was to check craigs list. after that I located the largest employers in my area that would have a need for IT. I have had success with this as I am about to pickup a job paying 60k a year and I only have 1 year of actual experience outside of traditional education. I would suggest learning everything you can about windows servers and networking stuff to start with.

go here for some books I am about to upload for you

room name : learnsomestuff
>>
File: 1450594248646.webm (1 MB, 960x400) Image search: [Google]
1450594248646.webm
1 MB, 960x400
>>52183120
Why not become an operator?

Sitting whole day in front of pc is boring
>>
>>52184200
link didn't work
>>
File: snacks.webm (2 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
snacks.webm
2 MB, 720x404
>>52184038
>I don't want to develop actual things
>I want to waste my soul away working help desk calls
ok m8
>>
>>52184303
link is case sensitive
>>
File: 1441571399516.jpg (155 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1441571399516.jpg
155 KB, 1600x900
>>52184317
>Acting like everyone who learns a programming language will obtain success.

Welcome to reality m8. There are more jobs out there for mechanics than there are for designers. OP doesn't want t program anymore and just wants to earn a living. Besides what is to stop him from programming on the side?
>>
guys i have a cert in web dev and in a pretty good area (seattle) but cant find a junior position for the life of me. Depressing as fuck. Wat do?
>>
>>52184317
That's good pizza.
>>
>>52184684
weird, I would think that Seattle would be prime for web developers. If not you can always freelance the work online.
>>
>>52183006
Connections are top.

Internships/experience is next.

Personal projects and overall demeanor and appearance are important too.

Not even graduated (IT + business minor) will hopefully start a jr consulting position soon making fiddy bucks and hour non salaried with lots of room for growth.

I know python, c++ and some sql. Shits nice to know from a problem solving/ automating standpoint, but is not needed in IT.
>>
>>52184317
90% of programming jobs offer little to no autonomy on the programmers behalf, just fixing stupid little bugs.

Dont get ahead of yourself as if you will be selected to work on the 'interesting' stuff (where you have a creative say in any way shape or form, because you wont.)
>>
>>52183102
>I know python, Java, and SQL
For various values of "know".
>> and I have a wealth of knowledge about network technician stuff.
So how long was your work experience stint?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.