[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gentoo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: maymay.png (356 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
maymay.png
356 KB, 1280x1024
So what is actually so good about Gentoo?
>>
it lets your REALLY fine tune your OS to YOUR specific hardware
>>
>>52181663

Nothing, it's a meme, actual linuxfags use arch or something.
>>
You'll learn the way things really work, and you can brag about it on /g/ afterwards.
>>
>>52181663
The package manager is good if you always like compiling from source
>>
It’s the only distribution that has a flawless package manager.
>>
>>52181663
>kde 4
>install adobe flash
into the trash it goes
>>
File: trash.png (269 KB, 538x538) Image search: [Google]
trash.png
269 KB, 538x538
>>52181663
>gnu linux
>not BSD
>>
>>52181727
>actual linuxfags
>using arch

Actual "linuxfags" use whatever distro works for them
>>
>>52181663

>absolutely nothing
>that's the joke
>>
>>52181900
This.
I'm waiting for all those archnigger on /g/ to realize they've been memed to use one of the shittiest distro, and instead of gettin pleasant Linux experience have a full time job maintaining it.
>>
>>52181663
its pretty good for guys who want a system thats streamlined system thats only got the features you want it to have (use flags), and ofc performance optimizations via cflags.

usually it works better for guys who like to have a well-operating and tested system that is designed to last and minimizes footprint, and typically merges stable packages without updating a lot. arch fags who think pacman -Sy make them look like hackers believe that staying on muh bleeding edge software is kawaii desu, but that's not really the central point of gentoo, and you'll find yourself wasting a lot of time compiling, updating the db with their shitty rsync, and resolving blocks with packages masked for a good reason. if you walk into gentoo with the idea that you're gonna be sum l33t hacker when you walk out, it really depends on how you make out of it. if you just word-for-word use the gentoo handbook, you're not going to learn shit. set up lvm, make encrypted volumes, find a spare drive and try software raid, modify some source, use user-patches, and make an overlay, you'll benefit in the end.

gentoo is also extraordinarily well organized in their rc and init system (can be supplemented by runit as well), and baselayout2 is not a clusterfuck unlike a lot of other distros config file layout in /etc/.

tl;dr, if you walk into gentoo with an attitude of a neet who doesnt have anything better to do but watch chinese cartoons and update his linoox system whilst ricing his i3 background with shit tier entry-level anime, you'll never achieve the nirvana gentoo wants you to achieve.
>>
>>52181663
It'll let you have a lean mean screamin' machine.
>>
>>52181985
I'm still waiting for the day when I have to maintain arch. It's still not a distro I recommend to new Linux fags because its kinda long to install and get up and going. There isn't one true distro, there's just a nice selection of them.
>>
>>52181985
implying I didn't try others and like arch the best
>>
File: mat_frog.jpg (20 KB, 407x405) Image search: [Google]
mat_frog.jpg
20 KB, 407x405
This shit doesnt even exist. Its just a meme. Like Facebook frog.
>>
>>52181663
I tried installing gentoo and it crashed during genkernel...
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.