[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Unexplained Network Activity.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 10s Network Activities.png (75 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
10s Network Activities.png
75 KB, 1440x900
Hey,

I've recently installed ArchLinux on junk pc for thrills. So i've been playing around with it and I noticed that about every 10 seconds my computer is transmitting and recieving data. Sending ~370 Bytes and Recieving ~300 Bytes.

Ive thought about a few thing this might be;

The computer constantly communicating between the router and itself.

The computer communicating with a time server to constantly update the system time.

Conspiracy NSA backdoor probing for information. HURP DERP

Anyother ideas or explinations?
>>
>>52178032
I've got a good idea, go to a tech support forum, because we aren't your tech support, if only you were smart enough to read the sticky
>>
>>52178032
watch netstat -t
>>
If you are on wifi then that will happen. It happens to me on debian as well. Plug in an ethernet cord and you'll see that the activity stops.

Now fuck off and everyone sage the thread.
>>
>>52178032
NIC send some packets to Internet users.
>>
>>52178032
Nobody on /g/ knows about computer networks. If you're lucky you'll get bad advise, sure thing kiddo, and a bunch of other ad hominems.
>>
>>52178032

# /etc/rc.local
iptables -P OUTPUT drop
>>
What is ARP?
What is NDP?
What is ICMPv6? Protip: You HAVE to send them even when not connected to anything.
>>
>>52178435
># /etc/rc.local
# /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/drop-output-chain.service@
but just simply use firewallctl drop-chain output
>>
>>52178513
this
>>
>>52178513
This
>>
>>52178513
interesting, I'm going to read on all of these.

Thank you.
>>
>>52178032
Sounds like router discovery protocol. It's nothing to worry about.
>>
>>52178513
>What is ARP?
You can have static ARP tables and disable it.
>>
>>52178032
How would a wifi router know if connection is lost?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.