[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Koding Kamps Takin over
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 11
File: lookbook_final2.jpg (577 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
lookbook_final2.jpg
577 KB, 1024x768
“We’ve heard students say they’ve completed computer-science degrees and never written a line of code,” says Charlyne Fothergill, director of career services for Lighthouse Labs and a former HR manager in high tech.

http://www.macleans.ca/education/coding-camps-are-sprouting-up-across-canada/
>>
pic related, #techmodel
>>
>>52175179
one of these things is not like the others
>>
>>52175179
>>52175195
do those stripes make her look wide?
>>
>Selling code boot camps
>Then telling lies about actual university degrees
Can't say I'm particularly surprised about it all... Money seems to be the #1 reason people have to lie in public.

Still, I hope that this whole "Code boot camp" shit eventually blows over and companies realize that they might as well hire people right off the street and train them from the get-go themselves rather than a few week long course.
>>
>>52175179
That blonde Adda Birnir is a hottie.
>>
>>52175179
imagine yourself as the hiring department for a software company.

Who are you going to hire:

The guy who spent 3 months in a bootcamp, his github is nearly empty, and what small scraps you can find are bootlegged javascript stolen from tutorials as evidenced by the // comments

OR

The guy who spent 3 years in college, has a large history of experience all hosted on his github, with expansive projects and contributions in a wide array of languages and styles that span from C to Haskell.
>>
>>52175228
No, but her obesity does.
>>
>>52175284
The first one because I can pay them less.
>>
File: feel.jpg (44 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
feel.jpg
44 KB, 500x500
>>52175179
>you'll never hang out with your girl bros wearing nothing but underwear and code
>>
>>52175284
C) Some outsourced contract coders from Mongolia who cost 10% as much and are about as shitty as either of these two options.
>>
File: intotrash.jpg (23 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
intotrash.jpg
23 KB, 600x399
>>52175195
>stuffing your gut in your unders
>>
>>52175179
>We’ve heard students say they’ve completed computer-science degrees and never written a line of code
W H A T
H
A
T

HOW THE FUCK?
>>
>>52175284
>has a large history of experience all hosted on his github

>wanting to hire somebody who gives away code for free
>>
>>52175360
>HOW THE FUCK?

Uh, it says "Computer science RELATED"

They probably lumped in digital media/comm majors
>>
>>52175360
By "students" they mean the women and minorities who are low B or C students. They pass them through programs with kid gloves now (they used to just flunk them) and some get Affirmative Action hired, mostly by the government. Can't wait for the hilarious moment when they sue for "not getting promoted" or "not receiving a quality education" when they should have been flunked out in the first place.
>>
>>52175179
>macbooks
>high tech
>women
This is rare - A three-way oxymoron.
>>
>>52175386
Also "Graphic Design", "IT", "Network Administration" and other bullshit community college majors that have no business being employed.
>>
>>52175179
s/o to Adda for being the most attractive one there and almost tricking me into thinking she wasn't using a macbook
>>
Seriously getting through academia to learn anything about computers(related to software at least) is absurd.Its corrupted jeducational system anyway.
>>
>>52175179
Imagine if they all fell asleep with the nerve had you'd put in their ventilation system

You could suck all their toes and steal their electronics
>>
>>52175179
Srs question, wtf are they in underwear? I thought this was one of those, "we're women in tech take us srsly" outfits.
>>
>>52175179
3 5 4 6 1 2
>>
>>52175479
It's an ad from a 'look book' for an underwear company.
>>
>>52175195
>>52175179
Hold on a sec, is the big one "coding" on a tablet?
>>
>being a coding monkey
>>
>>52175474
Well you should learn the theoretical end of things. It's not trade school. Also, I can't fathom programs that don't require C/C++, Assembly, basic math like calc 1-3, linear algebra, probability, and discrete/concrete math for starters.
>>
>>52175437
>>52175386
Okay well I had to spend sleepless nights debugging seg faults in gdb to pass submit server unit tests.
I had to write drivers.
I had to write a compiler in OCaml.
I had to code finite automata.
I had to normalize databases.

I would appreciate if faggots not lump me in with these useless scrubs.
>>
>>52175355
>implying fat Earthbender bitches don't do that to make themselves look more "attractive"

I never understood that, it's disgusting. Like that extremely obese guy that wears his pants over top his stomach instead of on his waist...looks disgusting and there's no way that that's comfortable.
>>
>>52175372
>Not using Github to create a portfolio
Do you really think they give out code just for fun? Are you really that stupid?
>>
>>52175613
If you give away bad code for your portfolio - you just look like a bad coder.

If you give away good code for your portfolio - you just look an idiot.
>>
>>52175284
they both use sjwhub, so neither
>>
>>52175670
>If you give away good code for your portfolio - you just look an idiot.

This is overwhelmingly untrue.
>>
>>52175670
If you give away code you look like someone who has written enough of it to not guard it covetously.
>>
>>52175695
>If you give away code you look like someone who has written enough of it to not guard it covetously.

No, it just means that you think your skills have such low value you can give them away for free.

It just sets you up for a low-paid coding job because the employer thinks you are naive and gullible.
>>
File: Fitting-In_o_99145.jpg (47 KB, 671x447) Image search: [Google]
Fitting-In_o_99145.jpg
47 KB, 671x447
>>52175212
>>
>>52175195
My sides are orbiting her xDDDD
>>
>>52175555
A lot of the camps use cloud-based SDK's. They assume some people can't afford a PC, despite the fact that while VS is kind of resource intensive, you can probably run eclipse on most mildly modern PC's.

Or failing that, notepad++ and a compiler on a toaster.

It doesn't make sense to me either. I think you should use something people actually use - Eclipse or VS.
>>
>>52175756
oh, so this was just bait after all. Ok
>>
>>52175756
>No, it just means that you think your skills have such low value you can give them away for free.

o k
>>
>>52175775
The black girl?
>>
>>52175756
Found the wintard
>>
>>52175670
There's good code that isn't really worth much but can showcase a skill or something.

My WoW and RIFT (video game) mods show I can use XML and LUA like a beast and function as neat skill demos. That said, I know full well no one is ever paying me a dime for them. I have them on my github along with some other stuff.

IDK, what do you guys have on them? I think I'm out of the loop with this. Everyone either seems to have millions of things or nothing.
>>
>>52175810
>>52175823
>>52175884
>>52175938
GitHub is also a good way of knowing how long a person was NEET. The longer the GitHub, the longer that person was a NEET.

It is literally a red flag for "do not hire me, I have gaps on my CV".
>>
>>52175961
Yeah, that's a headache, because it's exactly why I was considering it, the employment gaps.

It's not because I'm NEET, I've been on disability and can't work for periods. Technically it's illegal to discriminate on the basis of disability, but LOL at that ever getting that enforced when HR just checks stuff with employment gaps in the shredder.
>>
>>52175613
>code just for fun
I fucking hate this, why doesn't McDonald's ask "do you like flipping burgers for fun?"
>>
>>52176014
>I've been on disability and can't work for periods

I guess this is one of the few legit reason for making git portfolios. Sorry to hear about that anon.

Hope you get some kind of supplementary government allowance bux to make up for it.
>>
>>52175961
K.

My employer encourages publishing in-house tools we develop for our backend to github (when appropriate). Publish dates on those repos overlap with my employment dates.

I see literally no downside to using it in this manner. It's not only used as an enabler for NEETs.

Maybe you're looking at the wrong github profiles.
>>
>>52175600
Well, the only alternatives are letting it all hang out or wearing a shirt that looks like a dress because it's so long. Or, you know, losing weight, but you know they've already tried dieting but it doesn't work because their weight is just in their genetics.
>>
>>52176090
>My employer encourages publishing in-house tools we develop for our backend to github
What a smart company, lowers its competitiveness so other players can enter the same market at a lower cost by using your own tools.
>>
>>52175179
Isn't it kinda mean they're all starring at the fat chick?
>>
>>52176039
I mean if McDonald's could find a reasonable number of cooks who did flip burgers for fun why on earth wouldn't they hire them?
>>
>>52176014
>>52175961
Are you fucking stupid? Employment gap or nothing, it shows that you are at least keeping up with your skills and the current tools of the trade, the only way this is remotely a detriment to you is you're not getting paid for it.
>>
>>52176148
> not in the industry
> works in an MS shop
pick one
>>
>>52175179
>We’ve heard students say they’ve completed computer-science degrees and never written a line of code

is this even possible ?
>>
>>52175572
The comp sci program at my school doesn't require calc 3, but everything else is required.
>>
>>52176072
I get Disability, but considering I used to make 80k/yr + benefits, making 15k/yr kind of sucks, not that I'm particularly complaining, still beats being homeless or living in the projects or something.

Besides the money, I'd just rather get back to work. Bored as fuck whenever I'm well. Only so much netflix you can watch before you go crazy.
>>
>>52176276
Kind of weird if they offer Linear Algebra not to offer Calc III. Same prof could teach it easily, unless the math dep't is really short-staffed.
>>
>>52176235
No
I'm about to graduate, and even though my degree has been mostly thoeretical and I have only a few projects I can still "code"
>>
>it's okay to be obese
>safe space
>>
>>52176335
I'm sure they offer calc III on anon's school, just not required as part of their program.
Same with my college, Calc I is required, stats are required, linear algabra and calc II are "strongly recommended," but not required, and of course all the other programming you learn is based on the professors teaching the class that year. Our department recently made the switch for new freshmen, it used to be straight into C++ but they changed it to java and C++ is now a "learn on your own dime" type thing, but a required language for upper division cs courses
>>
>>52176235
IDK if that's possible but teaching Java has led to a focus on syntax instead of actual problem solving. Give some kids fizzbuzz. You'll probably want to cry afterwards. They should insta-flunk anyone who can't solve that
>>
>>52175179
why are these sluts allowed to sit around in their underwear. If men were to do that it would be called opressive and anti-tumblr.
>>
Fuck dude, if you have a BS in computer science and you never wrote a line of code that must've been some freaky next-level transcendent Chinese monk shit where you brush it all out in black ink and compile it in your mind.

I'd hire you.
>>
>>52175801
did you really just imply that eclipse is less resource intensive than visual studio?!?!!?!?!?!!!!!!!one
>this program written in java is less resource intensive
>java is less resource intensive
>java

please kill yourself
>>
>>52175179
>>52175195
I remember the last time those bitches were posted someone went through their githubs and found not one of them regularly contributed code to anything.
>>
>>52176406
You don't have to take Calc II? 2 year degree or 4?

Are Stat and probability different at your school? When I took them 100 yars ago they were different classes (the former was Statistics for freshman Psychology and related majors, the latter was a mathematical treatment for upper-classmen including the basics of Bayesian Probability and Statistics). I know it varies sometimes with the school and the course namings.
>>
>>52175179
Imagine the counterpoint to this image: a room of hairy, overweight men sitting at their ThinkPads in tighty-whiteys.
>>
>>52176498
Patty Delgado: https://github.com/partydelgado
Uses only one repo, which is for asking her questions not actually coding.

Quiessence Phillips: Doesn't have a GitHub, doesn't have much of anything it seems.

Sarah Conley: Doesn't even know how to code at all from the looks of things.

Arikia Millikan: https://github.com/Arikia
Has literally never committed any changes.

Adda Birnir: https://github.com/addabjork
Only writes to the Skillcrush repo, which happens to be her shitty coding bootcamp.

Rebecca Garcia: https://github.com/geekgirlweb
Only repos she's messed with are for the Geek Girl Web's website, which is just a generic Drupal site.
>>
>>52176543
At least they might get something done.
>>
>>52176543
Bitch, I am not hairy or overweight.
>>
File: s.gif (897 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
s.gif
897 KB, 500x281
>>52176543
>>
>>52176462
I know right, actually sounds pretty respectable
>>
>>52176490
>the language it's written in is the exclusive determinant of how resource intensive a program is
kill yourself
>>
>>52176490
Eclipse is a smaller install and uses less RAM. There are several extremely lightweight clients available.

I prefer VS, myself, (excluding Java, obviously), but you can get Eclipse running with fewer resources on more systems.

For an intro class, it won't matter much what standard intro programming language you use (C/C++ or Java are both OK), so the fact each IDE plays to different strengths (VC++/C# versus Java) is irrelevant.
>>
>>52175284
Neither, I'll let some other company deal with sorting out the fresh meat and just pay less people who are already experienced more money
>>
>>52176498
Counterpoint: I do a ton of coding, but it's for my company. I'm not working for free for stupid shit on the internet, thus, no github.

In their case I doubt that applies though. Usually people seeking publicity can't actually do shit.
>>
>>52176812
Do they get paid for this somehow? Or did any of them get hired?
>>
>>52176828
No idea. I assumed they had day jobs but maybe they don't.

From here
>>52176568
It sounds like at least one of them just works for a coding bootcamp, hence the publicity grab
>>
>>52176812
None of these people are professional coders. At least one of them runs a coding boot camp, but that's about it. If I were running a coding boot camp I'd have loads of code on github just for the sake of advertising.
>>
>>52176906
Fair enough
>>
OP here. Can't believe this blew up. Laughing so fucking hard
>>
>>52178241
yeah i kno!!!

EDIT: thanks for the gold guys!!
>>
>>52175179
> computer science
> job training program

For fuck's sake.
>>
>>52175195

>techmodel

This is the future ledditors choose.
>>
Am i the only one that sees this as almost pointless ?

It's good to learn some basics about coding, but not everyone will become a coder.

We still need people to fill in all those other jobs that don't revolve around working at a computer.

In the same way that you take gym class in school, but very few people will ever make a career out of a sport.

Meanwhile the largest industry by number of employees is retail,
its easy to point to stats about jobs created and all that, but the truth is the majority of jobs created these days are retails jobs, or jobs that pay within $4 of the min wage.
>>
>>52176130
Well I never looked at it that way, letting it hang out wouldn't look very good that's for sure.

By the way there's no fucking way that sort of weight is in their genetics, natural selection would've ruled that out.
>>
>>52179070
The worst part of teaching the mainstream public coding is when they feel smug for knowing the very very very very very very very basics and think there's nothing more to know.
>>
File: ss (2016-01-02 at 12.15.09).png (79 KB, 836x344) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-01-02 at 12.15.09).png
79 KB, 836x344
Shit nigga, I could get a pilot license for that money. Are there seriously people paying this much money, so someone teaches them how to code, instead of learning it on their own?
>>
>>52175212

Yeah the black chick really looks out of place
>>
>>52175179
The real question though /g/, which ones would you bang?

Adda looks like waifu material even though no tits.

Rebecca and Patty might be decent fucks. Chuck the rest out of the window.
>>
>>52179411
Paying thousands of dollars for something with no accreditation is basically the same as burning money.
>>
>>52179486
Adda, Rebecca and maybe Arikkia. The others I would chuck. Two for obvious reasons and Patty because she resembles Anita Sarkeesian to me.
>>
>>52179411
Paying 6 to 12k $ for a seminar is cheap in burgerland family
>>
>>52179609
I completed hack reactor in San Fansisco a year ago and I'm currently making 95k/year. It was $17,500 for the program but they let you defer 100% of it interest free to pay back with the job you're going to get, which I did.

I remember there being this whole big stink while I was there about California trying to crack down on unaccredited schools like ours. They wouldn't talk to any of the students about it but I carpooled with one of the instructors one time and the topic came up. Apparently if they got accredited the only things that would change is the school would be REQUIRED to purchase and maintain a full stock of Electrical Engineering textbooks despite that not being at all what they teach there, and the school would lose the ability to let students defer their payment. They would instead have to apply for high interest life ruining government student loans that I'm sure a lot of you real CS grads are familiar with. And that's it, that's the only differences accreditation would make.

I mean I get it. Before I went to hack reactor I was an art student and there's LOADS of for-profit art schools in California that are basically just scams. I get scam schools exist and are a problem but the fact is even those only work BECAUSE they are accredited. They make their money selling you on government student loans they wouldn't have access to otherwise and the only thing of value they offer in return is a very official piece of paper with the seal of the state of California on it and everything.

Also I don't remember the guy's name but the main official trying to push for reforming unaccredited schools in California was literally the co-founder of the text book company accredited schools here are required by law to buy from.
>>
>>52175600
This. It's extremeley retarded. I'm a fat fetishist and I think it's awful. Is it to attract dykes or something?
>>
>>52180170
>if they got accredited the only things that would change is the school would be REQUIRED to purchase and maintain a full stock of Electrical Engineering textbooks despite that not being at all what they teach there, and the school would lose the ability to let students defer their payment

OK, so accreditation isn't going to fix the bootcamp problem but was anyone really expecting it to? The difference between bootcamps and a CS degree isn't that one is accredited and the other isn't, it's the curriculum.
>>
Some anon wrote an article about his experience with one of these camps. You can find it here;

http://pastebin.com/EUPxtwb8

Sorry, but I'm too lazy to post the images.
>>
File: unix team.jpg (32 KB, 720x431) Image search: [Google]
unix team.jpg
32 KB, 720x431
>>52176543
Based.
>>
File: 1451536629334.jpg (15 KB, 168x248) Image search: [Google]
1451536629334.jpg
15 KB, 168x248
>>52175284
I would hire the person who had the most success with actually competing projects. Also I would have them take a test to determine their coding competency. I'm always surprised at how many collegefags cannot code in anything but Java these days and have never actually made anything of value with their knowledge.
>>
>>52175474
Go to the loo, Pajeet.
>>
>>52180458

So.... this guy pays 14k for 3 months of teaching and doesn't get squat. With grants offered both from my state and the federal government, I borrowed only 17k to get my bachelor's degree. For my master's, I will have no such grants, but will only be adding an additional 20-22k thanks to work study and research assistantship programs. Both of these have had me do vastly more intensive work, and the master's degree comes with a letter of recommendation from the head of the graduate program.

Why do people attend these camps? Do they really think they are much better than a university education?
>>
>>52181273
Some people hate traditional schooling because it does not necessarily focus on just what you want/need to learn. They view these bootcamps as a faster, more efficient way to learn the skills they need.
>>
>>52181343

Maybe gaymers and l33t hacker kids do that, but in reality, if you want to learn how computers work, and be good at your job, you go to college. Knowledge of using programming languages will only get you so far.
>>
>>52181455
>if you want to learn how computers work, and be good at your job, you go to college

no, you obsess over it as a hobby and spend all your free time doing it. schooling is more about accreditation than learning
>>
File: 1451695923398.jpg (8 KB, 240x237) Image search: [Google]
1451695923398.jpg
8 KB, 240x237
>>52175195
>>52175179
I'd fuck the shit out of that fat ugly bitch with massive jugs with a fury of a thousand suns any day any time any place day and night. I'll get a paper bag to cover her ugly face and fire up my terminal to probe for partitions. I'll find two ext4 filesystems up her ass If I have to and mount myself with force. I'll find the easiest mirror and pacstrap the base into her. With that done, I'll generate fstab and make sure the fs markings remain even if I unmount my flash drive.
JUST
>>
>>52183451
0/10
>>
>>52180170

Fuck off shill.
>>
File: 1451630638186.png (24 KB, 823x546) Image search: [Google]
1451630638186.png
24 KB, 823x546
>>52183451
She'd fucking eat you with her ass, swallow you whole in one gulp.
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.