[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
discord
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 8qpc_LGi_400x400.jpg (9 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
8qpc_LGi_400x400.jpg
9 KB, 400x400
whats /g/s thoughts on discord? seems a bit too good to be true.

https://discordapp.com/
>>
>>52167275
Is that the social network that promises to share profits with their users?
>>
>>52167275
>https://discordapp.com/

How is it free? Is it full of ads and NSA front-doors?
>>
>>52167304
Nah its got NSA sun lights.
>>
For some reason, this shit blew up hard overnight a few months ago. No idea why. Tons of shilling fucking everywhere. I don't like it. I usually don't give a shit about closed-source/open-source but when it comes to communication, I want to be sure that there's no middleman.

Mumble is better in every way. You can host your own server for tons of people, on your own computer, if you have a high-end machine and a good internet, I.E don't live in fucking India.
>>
>>52167401

Discord is much closer to skype than mumble.
>>
>>52167275
Its ok, just not enough of people I know use it unfortunately so I have very little use for it
>>
>>52167401
Mumble is confusing for people who are not very good with computers.
>>
They took the best parts of IRC (different privilege classes, different rooms, private messges) and Skype (friends list, voice or text chat) and combined it with tinychat (no login required, ease of creating rooms, ease of linking rooms, fully web based)
>>
Discord is alright. Better than Skype.

For a voice chat room, Mumble is better.

For an IRC type experience tied to voice, Discord is better.

I personally have connected a lot with a particular Discord community so I'm sucked into it. Its pretty much the only messaging/voice application I use now.

Overall its okay.
>>
Purely off of using the software, there are very few downsides to Discord outside of the devs being memefags.

It works incredibly well in most ways.

From the side of privacy, I don't believe its very safe.
>>
Not a fan of the meme-heavy UI but it's a solid application overall, as far as I've tested it.

Now if only I had friends to use it with.
>>
File: 1230158394490_f.jpg (17 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1230158394490_f.jpg
17 KB, 500x375
https://discord.gg/0d0IzXbFmxmGxYk1
get
in
the
chat
faggots
>>
>>52168115
this
>>
I use Discord a ridiculous amount at this point.

Its the only application I have open 100% of the time.

If you're on linux, avoid it until they build the application for it. The browser app sucks.

On mobile it works okay but its glitchy.

On Windows, its a great application if you have a use for it. I happen to.
>>
>>52168158
No.
>>
>>52168186
do it fgt
>>
>>52168158
/g/ already has numerous IRCs.

No reason for this particular community to transition to something that has shit linux support.
>>
>>52168195
your mom has shit linux support.
>>
>>52168195
the /g/ ircs are cancerous
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.