[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BT or Virgin media?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9
File: speedtest.jpg (68 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
speedtest.jpg
68 KB, 1280x720
Which broadband should i go for in the UK?
>>
shit vs. crap, if those are your only options ya might as well flip a coin

get andrews&arnold if you can afford it, they rent their buttwidth from bt wholesale so performance is mediocre, but you get customer support from grumpy uk-based neckbears instead of bt's offshore call centers or virgin's pre-recorded labyrinth
>>
>>52167424
Sky have their support based in Scotland and are usually pretty good.
>>
>>52167473
>based in Scotland
How do you understand them then?
>>
>>52166332
Nildram?
>>
File: goatceefax.jpg (17 KB, 330x260) Image search: [Google]
goatceefax.jpg
17 KB, 330x260
>>52167507
there used to be translations on teletext, sbectel and ceefax page 888 (transl888, lel) so we could watch broadcasts of rab c nesbit or pobl y cwm with english subs

pity the poor sod who sat in a television studio broom cupboard translating in his head and hammering the subs out real-time on a crappy microcomputer for tuppence ha'penny a week
>>
>>52167507
Not them but Scottish customer support has always been friendly and sorted out my issues in the past.
>>
>>52166332
I have BT, and I have this to say about it.
2 dead fucking homehubs. Connection speeds are decent, but wobble around a fair bit.
Current homehub is stable, but the switchboard up the road occasionally just drops my connection for no reason, once every couple weeks.
Customer service is based in india, maybe this isn't a problem for you, but indian tech support makes me want to join the EDL. Something about the accent, and flowchart progession conversation just makes me angry.

It's better than fucking TalkTalk (who are ultimate shit-tier). Sometime in 2017 I'm going to take the plunge and just get a business connection. I'll probably stick with BT unless they fuck up horrendously sometime between now and then.

All questions welcome.
>>
>>52166332
>living in UK
>>
Plusnet.
And whoever you choose, order by calling sales and haggle a better deal. Don't be a lazy chump and order online.
>>
>>52166332
Virgin media customer here. They're OK, the down speeds are good (200mbps) hower the upload speeds are shit (12mbps). They used to throttle P2P but now they just throttle upload speeds to 6mbps if you're heavily seeding at peak times.

The superhub routers are shit, the only sane thing to do is put them in modem mode and use your own router.

A plus is that I haven't received any complaints for file sharing, yet.
>>
>>52166332
im with bt. they are good for me i get 60 down and 18 up. pings usually allright in csgo. my internet never seems cut out.
>>
>>52166332
>>52170544
forgot to say. out of all the isp i have used bt are the only ones that i was able to get through to a white person on the support line. how is some brown cunt with a script over in pakistan going to help me...
>>
>>52170558
How did you manage it? I'm with BT and I only get the brown cunts and their fucking flowcharts.
Quite frankly if I can't fix the problem myself, then their chances of helping me are slim.
>>
>>52166332
Virgin if you have that privilege unlike me!
Avoid BT at all costs!
>>
File: VirginMediaSinking2.png (638 KB, 1026x1002) Image search: [Google]
VirginMediaSinking2.png
638 KB, 1026x1002
>>
Virgin Media cable (not their ADSL shit), great d/l speeds but shit upload
>>
File: t7inia.jpg (44 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
t7inia.jpg
44 KB, 640x480
Virgin Media is utter shit.

"up to" 200mb indeed
>>
>>52167424
> get andrews&arnold if you can afford it, they rent their buttwidth from bt wholesale

False.
AS20712 Andrews & Arnold Ltd
gets their bandwidth from these providers:

-
AS2914 NTT America Inc

-
AS12703 Pulsant (Scotland) Ltd

-
AS34270 Internet Connections Ltd

>>52169085
> It's better than fucking TalkTalk (who are ultimate shit-tier).

Whoa there edgemaster. Where is this "opinion" based on, a subjective experience? TalkTalk has better peering and transit providers [1] than many other major British ISPs.

>>52170775
> Avoid BT at all costs!

Nothing wrong with BT.[2][3]

>>52170856
>Virgin Media is utter shit.

The only thing wrong with Virgin Media is their IPv6 network (or the lack of it).[4]

[1]: http://bgp.he.net/AS13285
[2]: http://bgp.he.net/AS2856
[3]: http://bgp.he.net/AS5400
[4]: http://bgp.he.net/AS5089
>>
I use virgin they're good, but the upload is very bad for some reason.
>>
>>52170965
>Nothing wrong with BT.
Nice meme!

16 Down 2 Up
Im on fibre optic
>>
>>52170986
I currently use the virgin router that when you change to virgin some guy comes into your house and puts a virgin router in, is it any good or would I get better internet changing to a better router?
>>
>>52170989
>Im on fibre optic

No you're not. Your connection is old copper telephone cable until it reaches the street cabinet. That's about as helpful as saying you have a ferrari just because the box of BT has a ferrari
>>
File: 4960357336[1].png (31 KB, 300x135) Image search: [Google]
4960357336[1].png
31 KB, 300x135
>>52166332
>BT
Shitty caps

>Virgin
Shit coverage outside of cities

>TalkTalk
I've got TV, Mobile, Broadband and Phone with them in a package, £36.00/month £10/month Line Rental.
Pic related is my speed.
If I am willing to spend another £9/month, then I could get another 12mb/s down, 10mb/s up.
Keep in mind. I live in buttfucknowhere in Wales.

Sky. Shit coverage, shit speeds. Avoid.

Plussnet are decent if they're in your area. Would be worth looking in to.
>>
>>52171004
All advertised fibre is copper up to the switch box.
It doesn't change the fact that they are offering only 1 mb above the BARE MINIMUM garunteed speed.
>>
>>52167473
We went with Sky after they bought BE, couldn't afford much better and it pained me to sign with them and thought we'd end up going somewhere else.

But,,,they have been OK, just extended our contract, had a bit of a haggle about getting another year of free broadband and you HAVE to make sure they give you a "free" surcharge for not paying for their shitty TV service.

Scottish call center have many based agents, got the same guy as last year the other day, bloke had a sensible chuckle whilst noticing "ooh sir, you used over 3 terrabytes of download data last month, getting the movies in for Christmas eh? Nice to see you getting your moneys worth!"

Surprisingly, it all turned out better than expected, but still not happy where my money is going to though.
>>
i'm on benefits and low income so dwp pay for my phone and broadband, i get some shitty poverty package from bt that is free for ppl on bennies
>>
And to think all these 3rd world cunts get free internet from charities n shit.
>>
>>52170965
TalkTalk also supply complete dogshit (even for an all-in-one freebie router, which are all already dogshit as standard) routers. Their connection is in my experience unstable, and doesn't live up to advertised speeds.
Also their customer service is shit. It's just plain shit, I have wasted hours and hours talking to a human with a lesser grasp on conversation than cleverbot, when all I wanted was some fucking numbers that a competent phone jockey should have had written down and pinned to the screen.

It's just bad. Just about everything that could go wrong did go wrong, and these asshats were less than helpful.

Fuck TalkTalk, they're shit.
>>
This depends on whether you can get decent broadband from ADSL (via BT) or only via cable.

If you have FTTP (fiber to the premises, which is rare), you should go for that. FTTC (fiber to the cabinet) is not as good, but if you're close to the cabinet may also be OK, but Virgin will beat those out.

BT themselves are never the best option.

>>52167424
I've been with AAISP back when I could get good ADSL signal, and they are *incredible*. RevK will be the last one against the wall to stop the IP Bill in any way he can, I genuinely believe that.

Unfortunately they can only do BT's connections wholesale, so if you can't get FTTP or FTTC, you'll be better off with Virgin. >>52170965 is looking at their peering, not the last-mile.

Virgin are crap but they're the best I can get. See >>52170441 for correct details. The upload is a bit pants but the download is good and though it's contended quite heavily depending on your region, if the alternative to this DOCSIS 3.0 is old ADSL then it's not even really a choice. If you get Virgin, ALWAYS turn the "Superhub" to modem mode and use it as a dumb modem, and do your own routing (we do it with our own Linux box). You wouldn't like their security.

If you're file sharing, then use a foreign VPN for it, because IP Bill.
>>
i work in BT sales AMA
>>
>>52171062
yeah mang just escape isis and almost drown in the sea and you'll get free internet, what a score! those lazy migrants!

you fucking racist tosser
>>
Depends on your area but I know loads of people who have good speeds with Virgin. I'm with BT and only get about 30 MB/s download.
>>
>>52171198
>this is what ukucks actually believe
>>
>>52171196
Have you considered suicide or stabbing your coworkers?
>>
>>52171198
I was more on about pooinloos but these "migrants" need to be iradicated ASAP!
>>
>>52170558
When I was with TalkTalk I definitely spoke to someone who did a convincing white accent. It was difficult to tell whether they were actually white or just highly trained. I suspect the latter but I still have doubts.
>>
>>52171196
What's the weather like in Punjarb?
>>
>>52171490
>white sales, indian support.
>>
>>52171198
You cunt, those people are running from assad, they are isis sympathisers. If isis won 90% would go back to their islamic utopia on the same day.
>>
>>52171652
90% of them are blokes in their mid 20's
Why are they not fighting for their country?
Do you even realise that you are on 4chan!?
>>
>>52171509
Nope, I've even had curryniggers on the sales line
>>
>>52171727
I dont know and dont care. They should fuck off back to where they came from.
>>
File: 1413744529530.png (12 KB, 530x492) Image search: [Google]
1413744529530.png
12 KB, 530x492
Has anyone had experience with EE in

LONDON
O
N
D
O
N
>>
File: 4960554369.png (31 KB, 300x135) Image search: [Google]
4960554369.png
31 KB, 300x135
>>52166332

I'm with Virgin, had some recent issues due to flooding but for the 7 months I've been with them had no problem, router is good, speed is consistent. The times that I have had to contact support it's not been outsourced to another country and it's been either English or Scottish.

They appealed to me since you can just have the broadband package without owning a landline.

Overall pretty good, I've heard nothing but bad problems with the BT routers. The 10% ratio is slightly disappointing, this speed te
st ran kinda slow I've had 175+ before and 15+ on up/down.
>>
>>52166332
if you can get virgin get as it's one of the fastest, but BT fucks you over if you want to leave after your contract by making you pay for the router and TV box, and SKY restarts your contract every time you accept a price cut, but with sky wait for their new Q router to launch as it's AC and built in powerline.
>>
>>52171980
Its fast but EE have caps so not really worth it.
>>
Virgin. They only cap upload speed between 5-10(?) and that is if you upload more than 500mb. Which is kind of shitty, Recently got upgraded to 70 from 50 which is nice. They keep increasing the fucking price which is shitty. I'v heard BT has very good upload speeds.
>>
BT, it has no throttling. Virgin media is shit if you torrent.
>>
File: virgin.png (282 KB, 716x445) Image search: [Google]
virgin.png
282 KB, 716x445
>>52166332

Virgin is your only alternative in this god forgotten realm.

Just remember to buy a separate router as their superhub 2 is the biggest piece of garbage in existence.

Since I bought myself a TP-LINK Archer D2 AC750 and set the hub in modem mode I got an increase of 5MBs over the 50MB package I have which is stable 99% of the time + I never got one single issues with the wireless dropping or internet becoming sluggish dropping into 20Mb's and needing a god damn restart every 2 days.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160101-164411.png (769 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160101-164411.png
769 KB, 1080x1920
>>52166332
Plusnet, they offer practically the same service as BT (same speeds, unlimited data, etc) for a cheaper price. I used to pay £30pm on BT, but only £22.50 on Plusnet now. And since they aren't one of the biggest ISPs, they don't have to block TPB/Kickass or whatever because of court orders.
>>
>>52173553
And to add on to this, take the BT Openreach Modem they give you, but do not take their router. Get yourself a good third-party AC router instead. I have the Netgear R7000.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.