[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>close button doesn't close >maximize button doesn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7
File: traffic memes.png (41 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
traffic memes.png
41 KB, 800x600
>close button doesn't close
>maximize button doesn't maximize
>minimize button minimizes, but only sort of: for some reason it places the preview near the trashcan in the dock and the preview is static (unlike on windows). Also if you choose to minimize windows into app icon, you will no longer have previews of any kind and it causes a bug (present in 10.11.1) with activity monitor (when it won't open after you "close" it with close button)

Who designed this and why is this allowed?
>>
>>52153981
It's Apple, I let them do what they want. They now better anyway.
>>
>close
It closes the window, not the app.
>minimize
That's probably cause of Apple and its desire to optimize things
>maximize
I don't even fucking know what the deal with this button is, it does a different thing in every app and it is never the thing I want.
>>
>>52154067
>It closes the window, not the app.
So it doubles the minimize button?
>>
>>52154101
If you have two Chrome windows open on Windows, pressing the close button on one of them doesn't close the other, right?

It's like that in OS X, the difference being that apps have a "no windows open" state on this OS.

Took me some getting used to, but it's alright.
>>
>>52154101
So you shitpost without even knowing how the shit you are shitposting about works?

>So it doubles the minimize button?
No.
>>
>>52153981

Depends on the app

Never did. It used to expand the window if there was content that could be shown.

>minimize button minimizes, but only sort of: for some reason it places the preview near the trashcan in the dock and the preview is static (unlike on windows)
>(unlike on windows)

Well that's too bad. Stick with Windows if you want an OS that behaves like Windows.
>>
OS X is the worst window manager ever. Simple as that.
>>
ITT wintards expect every o.s to be retarded like Windows.
>>
>>52154161
Windows' windows management is BY FAR the best among all desktop OSes.
>>
>>52153981
And it shouldn't. The concept of the program and window being the same entity annoyed me like hell with Windows.
Not this meme again. HOLD THE FUCKING OPTION KEY
>minimize button minimizes, but only sort of: for some reason it places the preview near the trashcan in the dock and the preview is static (unlike on windows). Also if you choose to minimize windows into app icon, you will no longer have previews of any kind and it causes a bug (present in 10.11.1) with activity monitor (when it won't open after you "close" it with close button)
Just plain autism
>>
who uses these buttons anyway?
1. using hotkeys are easier.
2. if you only have a mouse, it is easier to use gestures like double click the window decoration (much wider than the button) or dragging the window to the top edge (size of window, is as big as it gets)
closing windows by going to the top left corner is fine, but not all people use the bottom panel style desktop and even then it only makes sense on maximized windows.
>>
>>52153981
you seem to be under the mistaken impression that all buttons have always and should always behave like the ones in Microsoft™ Windows™
>>
>>52154213
and here come the linux stormtroopers
>>
The one thing objectively wrong with OS X is that there is no built-in way to have Finder show folders on top.

It doesn't even have to be the default, just add an option in the settings.
>>
>>52154213
Window's windows management is the only one you are used to, and fluent with, among all desktop OSes.
>>
>>52154320
But you can buy apps for that :^)
>>
as a long time windows user gone mac, i find that browsing full screen is just shitty.

microsoft should have never made that the default behavior. it just doesn't make any sense
>>
>>52154278
Who the FUCK clicks the buttons.

Grandpa, is that you? Stop shittposting
>>
File: Mac-Folders.png (104 KB, 652x321) Image search: [Google]
Mac-Folders.png
104 KB, 652x321
>>52154320
open wide, here comes the choochoo
http://www.howtogeek.com/67100/force-your-mac-to-put-folders-on-top-of-files-windows-style/
>>
>>52154159
A lot of people like it.

It just is a matter of getting used to it and knowing how it works.

I use ratpoison. To most people it is very confusing, I know the first time I used it I had to go to a different shell to do anything. But now that I have it configured, now that I am used to it, things are very efficient and good with it.

You may not like OSX's manager. Cool. OK. But that does not mean that it is poorly made, it just is not your style, anon.
>>
>>52154364
>2011

it doesn't work anymore fampai
>>
>>52153981
That's the most fucking stupid thing cause normies (those who OSX is aimed to) never close applications, and if you shutdown the system and boot it up again by default it will reopen all the last apps opened, and this way the boot is a fucking nightmare, especially with those 2012 mbp with a 5400rpm HDD, probably the most common MBP
>>
It consistently closes the window. It doesn't suddenly terminate applications. Why are you even using a button? You have a keyboard for a reason you know.

Because "maximizing" is something that was created so we could multi-task on tiny 640x480 resolutions back in the 90s. Why would you want to "maximize" when you could use fullscreen and get even more screen space dedicated to your application?
>minimize button minimizes, but only sort of: for some reason it places the preview near the trashcan in the dock and the preview is static (unlike on windows).
Because you're minimizing a window. If you REALLY want to not see what windows you have minimized you can change it to minimize to the application icon in the settings.

>Also if you choose to minimize windows into app icon, you will no longer have previews of any kind and it causes a bug (present in 10.11.1) with activity monitor (when it won't open after you "close" it with close button)
First legitimate issue you brought up. Congratulations.

>>52154213
>Windows' windows management is BY FAR the best among all desktop OSes.
KEK. Windows JUST workspaces and window overviews, something OS X and Linux have had for over 10 years now. Don't forget you have piss poor control with the keyboard (Alt+F4 to close a window? Is there even a hotkey for minimizing?) and the frequent bugs like windows opening outside the screen, requiring you to do autistic things to get them showing up again.
>>
File: image.png (19 KB, 415x191) Image search: [Google]
image.png
19 KB, 415x191
>>52154399
>click shut down
>pic related pops up
>uncheck the box

Wow, real hard, huh?
>>
>borrowing hand me down iPhone 5 until I can get a new phone.
>no "physical" back button or menu button
>plenty of apps don't have a built in menu system for setting preferences like on android
>closest thing to back button is shitty swipe function that not all apps support

>trying to zoom in on small text that scrolls past the edge of the screen
>sweet spot for swipe starts almost a half of an inch from the edge of the phone
>constantly moving back a page by mistake
>going back resets page to default size and place you at the top
>scrolling has no inertia depending on swiping force
>scrolling through long pages takes an absolute eternity because it only goes half a screen length at a time

>notifications and quick links are separated top and bottom for no fucking reason
>trying to bring up the lower tray is unreasonably finnicky. Half the time end up clicking on something instead
>no notifications in the title bar
>constantly changing icons and methods of executing tasks, almost no harmony between apps

>sometimes hitting the dome button after entering text will clear the field, other times trying to hit send or whatever without hitting done attempts to send an empty field. Oh the consistency

It's got a fucking mute switch though. Yeah, that's the most important physical button you could ever need, Apple, bravo.
>>
>>52153981
you can set the red button to close the app and not the window only in system settings
>>
>>52153981
When Mac os was first written, computers didn't have enough resources to have two programs running at the same time
The OSs back then treated the program's windows as the software itself, so when you closed the window the program would terminate. Mac os on the other hand treated them as separate things, meaning tat if you closed the window, the program would still be running in a process. This sped up things like closing a word document an opening a new one. OSs that treated windows as programs ad to reopen the program, while Mac os just had to open a new window for the already running process

>>52154320
nigga of course you can just fucking click on "clean up by kind"
>>
>>52154374
People only like it because they like everything apple does
>>
>>52154773
Is that right?
>>
File: To7B5.gif (1 MB, 355x200) Image search: [Google]
To7B5.gif
1 MB, 355x200
Macfags are getting pissed!
>>
>controlling windows using graphical elements
>2016
>>
>>52156549
>Windows users
fixed
>>
>>52156549
>having graphical elements in the first place
>2017
>>
>>52154213
>no scrolling over un-selected windows
>no workspaces (a.k.a virtual desktops)
>application menus somewhere in the center of the screen (instead of reachable position at the edge of the scree)
>inconsistent application menus: in OSX the application settings are *always* in the self-titled application menu, in Windows they can be everywhere, "File", "Tools", "Extras", "Edit" etc...
>shit-tier task switcher that forces you to iterate through all applications (instead of just entering the first letters of the application name)
>no tabs in file manager
>tray is constantly filled with >=15 icons, in which you always have to search the 2 that are actually useful
>no pdf, video or gif preview in file selector
>you cannot just simply drop the currently selected file into the file upload dialogue, you always have to navigate to the current directory
>RETARDED mix up of touch and desktop applications, you open up some arbitrary file in desktop mode and a fucking full-screen metro app shows up that distracts your whole workflow
>>
>>52153981
We all know this is bait and OS X is superior in pretty much every regard.
But: WHY ARE PACKAGE MANAGERS SO SHIT
There isn't one single equivalent to Winrar on os x where you can view the file of the .rar before actually unpacking. What the fuck?
Also no audio mixer like in Windows. Apart from that everything is miles ahead
>>
File: restore-down.jpg (14 KB, 105x71) Image search: [Google]
restore-down.jpg
14 KB, 105x71
>this button is called restore down

The more you know
>>
>>52156716
>>no tabs in file manager
Please tell me that isn't true
>>
>>52156986
Just installed windows 10 using a virtual machine and first thing i noticed is the lack of tabs in the file explorer
>>
>>52154130
>the difference being that apps have a "no windows open" state on this OS
Which is fucking great and one of the reasons OS X is so based.
You can basically run a GUI application as a daemon by just closing all windows. It'll just be out of your way and do its thing.
>>
>>52156955
holy shit
>>
>>52153981
>>close button doesn't close
Yes it does. You're thinking of Quit, which it doesn't (and shouldn't) do.

>>maximize button doesn't maximize
Yes it does actually. Hold Alt and it switches to a (+) button which does maximize.
The button in your pic related is called fullscreen.

>>minimize button minimizes
I don't know why you're sperging about that *IF* you choose that other behavior blah blah… Why the fuck would you choose it if you don't like it asshat? Just leave it default then you fucking autist.
>>
>>52156716
>no scrolling over un-selected windows
present in 10
>no workspaces (a.k.a virtual desktops)
present in 10
>application menus somewhere in the center of the screen (instead of reachable position at the edge of the scree)
It is objectively faster to reach the menu inside the window.
>inconsistent application menus: in OSX the application settings are *always* in the self-titled application menu, in Windows they can be everywhere, "File", "Tools", "Extras", "Edit" etc...
True
>shit-tier task switcher that forces you to iterate through all applications (instead of just entering the first letters of the application name)
autism
>no tabs in file manager
Snapping 2 or more explorer windows next to each other makes organizing files easier than dragging files to other tabs, accidentally scrolling through the folder, etc. Also for some reason you can't cut and pase in Finder.
>tray is constantly filled with >=15 icons, in which you always have to search the 2 that are actually useful
That's up to user how much shit he has in autostart. Also on Windows you don't have to purchase Bartender to hide most of the icons and leave only those you need.
>no pdf, video or gif preview in file selector
True
>you cannot just simply drop the currently selected file into the file upload dialogue, you always have to navigate to the current directory
That are you on about? You can do this just like on OS X.
>RETARDED mix up of touch and desktop applications, you open up some arbitrary file in desktop mode and a fucking full-screen metro app shows up that distracts your whole workflow
Choosing to use the universal apps is up to user.
>>
I think close button not quitting is pretty stupid too, but don't expect any of the die-hard fanboys to admit it. At least rebinding modifier keys (that's another stupid thing, what retard decided to use symbols instead of the actual key names to describe the modifier keys in the OS?) is easy enough so I can just caps-q to quit.
>>
>>52153981
The red button closes the window as intended.
>>
>>52157139
>Also for some reason you can't cut and pase in Finder.
Because you don't know the keybinding.
>>
>>52157230
>I think close button not quitting is pretty stupid too,
Because you're not used to it? It's logically consistent compared to Windows which sometimes just closes a window, sometimes kills the process, sometimes minimizes to the tray or even sometimes just minimizes the application to the background. Not to mention most applications on OS X save their state, meaning when you close the process and reopen it, everything is as you left it, even if you didn't save the changes. Just because you're not used to the concept doesn't mean it's stupid.
It's like trying to saying OS X and Linux having the system root at / instead of C:\ is "stupid" when it's more logical and consistent in every way.
>>
>>52157349
Windows file organization is more logical than on OS X and Linux. Every drive has a letter as its name, program files are in the program files folder, windows is in windows folder, subfolder is windows folders have makes what make sense, app data is in app data folder, user files are in users folder.
No nonsense like drives mounted god knows where, a godzillion of 3-letter folders with unknown content, weird acronyms, and so on.
>>
>>52157463
>No nonsense like drives mounted god knows where
Yeah because IDE dries mounting as hd** and SATA/SCSI drives mounted as sd** I can see how that would be very confusing.
>>
>>52157307
Nah man it does a different kind of minimisation.
>>
>>52157549
No it closes the window dipshit
>>
>>52156716
>>52157139
Yeah, no. Developers can still place whatever wherever they want to. And with open source shit it's mostly not following the Apple standard.
>>
>>52156955
g being informative right here
>>
>>52157562
No it doesn't. It hides it.
>>
>>52157349
>open Console or Activity Monitor
>click the close button
>observe your dock
>admit to bullshitposting
>>
>>52157601
I'm getting the feeling you've never used OS X
>>
>be me
>had a macnook air for the last 3 years
>started using spotify for first time after getting macbook
Open spotify, play playlist, close window
>all good
>be yesterday
>set up a windows 10 VM because I need to use windows software and I'm tired of using wineskin for everything
>install spotify on windows vm because why tf not
>open spotify, play playlist, close window
>spotify process terminates
>can't use spotify without having the window open or minimised

And this why os x is based
>>
>>52157463
so because windows puts all the shit you don't understand into one folder that is full retard in terms of organization, it's superior?

Only a retard doesn't see the supremacy of a conventional POSIX filesystem.
>>
>>52157619
Right, because one or two exceptions (Protip: Activity Monitor stays open) to the rule totally disproves it. Meanwhile you didn't even argue against what I said.
>>
>>52157699
OS X "closed window" is literally a minimized window.
>Open spotify, play playlist, minimize window
There you go, the effect is literally the same!
>>
>>52157942
Î think he means that every program minimizes/closes differently on windows whereas it's uniform on OS X.
>>
>>52157942
>OS X "closed window" is literally a minimized window.
No. In windows, closing a window also closes the program. In OS X, closing the window closes (as in destroys, not minimizes) the window but keeps the application running.
>>
>>52158032
#NotAllApplications
>>
>>52158046
It never functions as a minimize button. It either closes the window and leaves the program running (99.9% of applications function this way, then there are the few programs like Calculator where closing the window terminates the program. Only the yellow button minimizes windows.
>>
>>52158046
Around 90% of them
The apps that terminate the process once you close the window are such apps that keeping them on would not make any sense (all wineskin wrappers, games, etc)
>>
>>52157349
It is consistent, I'm not saying it isn't, but under Linux when I hit the 'x' I know the program will close and shut down it's processes. Windows too this is the behaviour for 95% of the applications, it's even the function of the 'x' button, but Window's API (I think this is the right term for it) for better or for worse allows a program to ignore the close call and substitute its own behaviour instead. It's not a problem with the OS, rather a problem with shitty developers.

And really, every other OS uses this behaviour because it is intuitive. What does the big red angry 'x' do? It stops, of course, just like a stop sign, except in OSX where it just sends it to the background. That is why the behaviour is stupid.
>>
>>52158108
In OS X I press Cmd+Q and I know the program will close, because that's what the keybinding is for. If I want to close the window instead of the program, I use the red button because that's what it does. If I don't like it, I'll just use a different OS and not bitch about it because Apple's been doing it their way for longer and it's their OS, they can continue to make it function how they want and don't need to change anything just because something is popular.
>>
>>52158108
Read >>52154790 for more on why the "close" button works like it does in os x
Also, this >>52158160
>>
>>52158160
>>52158200
But this isn't 1980 any more. Continuing to do a silly, non-standard thing just because "It's what we've always been doing" and refusing to give users a way to modify the behaviour (redquits doesn't work any more) is just dumb. Like, it's literally a logical fallacy, the appeal to tradition. It's not an argument.
>>
>>52158251
I find it to be superior, others do too. Like I said before, don't like it? Don't fucking use it. It's as simple as that.
>>
File: 1271709227777.jpg (35 KB, 300x375) Image search: [Google]
1271709227777.jpg
35 KB, 300x375
>>52158287
That is such a cop-out post. Honestly I'm incredibly disappointed. "Don't use an entire operating system with many great features that may be useful to you because you don't agree with how the 'x' button works." So little rational thought went into that that I am actually surprised.

Congratulations.
>>
File: 1375125411120.gif (129 KB, 300x232) Image search: [Google]
1375125411120.gif
129 KB, 300x232
>>52158389
It is what it is. Bitching's not going to change it. Either deal with it or use something else.
>>
>>52158251
There are woekarounds though
The simplest one is to use cmd+q
This command works on literally everything, and quits the app (sometimes even saving its sate)
The other workaround is downloading a "system preferences" menu called "secrets" that let you change many os x features, one of them being the behaviour of the close button"
>>
>>52158552
I didn't know about Secrets, but it looks like it went the way of Redquits and stopped receiving updates a log time ago. I'll give it a try though, thank you.
>>
>>52158654
Yeah I just looked for it to post it here but I found that it was discontinued sometime during spring/summer
I can't receive more updates on my already installed pane either
Didn't know about that actually
>>
>>52154599
>is there even a hot key for minimizing?
Yep. It's Windows Key+M. So basically every command uses a different fucking key. Microsoft is dumb beyond comprehension
>>
>>52153981
close closes the app.. not quit. minimize minimizes... idk whats the problem with that. maximize maximizes to fullscreen.... stop being a dickhead...
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.