[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the fuck do people circlejerk about Arch and Gentoo so much?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
File: 1 - tm2dqhr.png (231 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1 - tm2dqhr.png
231 KB, 1366x768
Why the fuck do people circlejerk about Arch and Gentoo so much? I don't have time to mess with my system. I just want something that's fast, stable, easy, and good looking. I just want to get work done, not spend a ton of time maintaining my system.
>>
>>52152706
Yes, let's start a circlejerk about Mint. So much better. Look in the mirror. You are part of the problem.
>>
It's especially annoying when these distros are recommended to people who don't know any better.
>>
>>52152858
Mint is just the distro I use. I know there are other easy ones.
>>
>>52152706
>I just want to get work done, not spend a ton of time maintaining my system.

that's perfectly fine, use whatever distro that suits you. ignore the retards who say otherwise. i unironically use funtoo but i'd never recommend it to someone. it's like telling someone to build their own PC when they've never looked inside one before and don't really have an interest in doing it either.
>>
its either zorin, mint, or korrora,. so pick I used zorin kinda shitty korrora is next, mint how is it
>>
that design is fine... if you live in 2003 and still enjoy your shitty xp. linux users, when will they ever learn to design.
>>
hey g whats a bot net free system like mint.
>>
>>52152706
Nobody wants to covert you. People here like to rice and mess with their computers and for some reason this offends you.
>>
File: windows 10 shit start menu.png (138 KB, 582x628) Image search: [Google]
windows 10 shit start menu.png
138 KB, 582x628
>>52152935
Because this is beautiful, isn't it?
>>
'k'
>>
>>52152706
Debian is kind of in-between arch/gentoo-meme and mint/Ubuntu, in regards to actually being good and not being hipster memes.
>>
>>52152935
XP had bright colors and bad window management.
The only good thing about it was the menu style. And that is pretty much what is kept.
Is windows 10 and XP the same in your optic?
>>
vocal minority. the majority uses ubuntu and mint at their job and don't post
>>
>>52152950
yes? I mean I haven't had windows 10 in mind but yes, it looks nicer. Another viable options are the mac design and google's material design, can't explain it but they all good and so they feel.

meanwhile linux user be like

>look I figured out how to make rounded borders and gradients in my shitty openGL, lets glue them in EVERYWHERE I FUCKING CAN.
>>
>>52152978
xp and windows 7 <<< windows 10
>>
>>52153011
Nah.
>>
File: i15^cimgpsh_orig.png (90 KB, 633x552) Image search: [Google]
i15^cimgpsh_orig.png
90 KB, 633x552
>>52152981
This looks pretty good in my opinion.
>>
>>52152981
>android isn't a linux distro
>>
>>52153026
What de is that? It looks like a skin of Cinnamon.
>>
>>52153068
Yes, its Cinnamon with the Numix theme and icons.
>>
>>52153026
nice
>>
File: android_is_not_linux.png (58 KB, 683x485) Image search: [Google]
android_is_not_linux.png
58 KB, 683x485
>>52153032
It isn't.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2009/02/an-introduction-to-google-android-for-developers/

https://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#linuxsyswithoutgnu

Android contains the only Linux component - the kernel (moreover, it's a fixed old version (3.0.x, 3.4.x or 3.10.x as for 2016) which is maintained and supported solely by Google). Secondly, Android is not a desktop OS, it's an OS for mobile phones, tablets and other touch screen devices.
>>
>>52153026
that looks fucking comfy. wished I didnt install a garbage distro.
>>
>I just want something that's fast, stable, easy, and good looking

So OS X?
>>
>>52152925
Mint is way better than the other two
>>
>>52153119
It isn't a GNU/Linux distro but it still is very much a Linux distro (like alpine). Also Android was ported to the desktop.
>>
>>52153073
Where did you get yours?
I've tried to download it through the themes, but I get a 404 error.
>>
>>52153011
Dumb.
>>
>>52153224
That's where I got mime as well, the Cinnamon themes menu. There's also the Numix GTK theme, and the numix icons. https://numixproject.org/ You can add the Numix PPA
>>
Because you chose a piece of shit distro.
>Gentoo
>BSD
>Slackware
>Debian

Pick one that ISN'T garbage.
>>
>>52153135
What are you on?
>>
>Circle jerking is better then being pegged to death.
> - Ian Murdock
>>
>>52152706

>fast
>stable
>easy

none of these describe linux
>>
There's like 0 good reason to use Mint if you know what you're doing. Just enable a few non-free repos and add a few PPAs. Ubuntu > Mint

Any flavor of Ubuntu > Normal Ubuntu

I personally use Xubuntu
>>
>>52154082
Linux is fast and stable...
Nothing good comes easy.
>>
>>52152706
It's fine. Really though, if you're not a complete retard, Arch is one of the best ways to go. In the end Mint works just fine, but if you go with Arch and know what you're doing, its a much faster and more simple way to have a distro thats built how you want. I've been using Mint for a while now and now that I know how to rice decently well and know exactly what packages I want/use, I'll definitely make the switch to Arch down the road just to have a system built how I want/need.
>>
>>52152706
Don't use linux, linux is the cancer killing /g/. I can't even talk about windows and video games and other technology without linux fags fagging it up.
>>
>>52154082
so the majority of servers are hosted on linux because it's slow and unstable right?
>>
>>52152706
i use arch on my laptop
after initial configuration it has required no maintenance other than 'yaourt -Syua' once in a while
in my experience the so-called easy distros often have even more problems than arch based systems
I've only run gentoo in a vm so I don't know how good that is
>>
>>52154115
>mint is worse than Ubuntu
>All other Ubuntus are better than normal Ubuntu
>implying mint isn't just Ubuntu + Cinnamon...
You must be new...
(Ok sure, it isn't officially Ubuntu, but palemoon is still Firefox even though it isnt.)
>>
>tfw using based LMDE
>>
>>52152706
OP I think that the OS you're looking for is Deepin 15.
>>
>>52155631
deepin ur moms pussy
>>
>>52155631
is this the meme of the day?
>>
>>52155610
LMDE is breddy good. i prefer debian though.
>>
Xubuntu master race
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.