[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to sites detect ad blockers? Are there any workarounds?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: forbes-ad-blocker[1].jpg (31 KB, 599x505) Image search: [Google]
forbes-ad-blocker[1].jpg
31 KB, 599x505
How to sites detect ad blockers? Are there any workarounds?

Why can't sites make it harder to automatically detect what is an ad and what is content?

If you encounter a site that blocks you because you use an ad blocker, do you give in or use another site?
>>
Are you 12?
>>
>>52150663
Method 1: They check whether a bait element on the page is hidden by your ad blocker
Method 2: They detect if a bait resource was blocked by your adblocker
both methods usually involve JS fuckery
>>
All you have to do is check if something they block, like ads, loads.
All you have to do is block their checker or hide the shit they spawn to block content.
>>
>>52150722
what if they do the check from flash, like the new colbert show?
>>
Half the time they just have those adblocker messages underneath their ad banners.
>>
>>52150745
Then you uninstall Flash.
>>
>>52150745
>having flash installed
>>
>>52150757
>>52150766
so what you're saying is, you don't have an answer.
>>
>>52150773

I have an answer. Don't use flash.
>>
>>52150745
If a site doesn't work without JavaScript or because I block ads then I simply don't use it.
>>
>>52150792
that's an answer to an irrelevant question.
>>
>>52150799
>If a site doesn't work without JavaScript or because I block ads then I simply don't use it.
>half the internet is instantly inaccessible
>>
>>52150811

No, it's the answer to your problem. I don't know what else you want.
>>
>>52150773
It just depends.
>>
>>52150819
my problem is to watch the colbert show without ads. you haven't answered that at all.
>>
>>52150824

Use ublock origin.
>>
>>52150814

Well more than half the internet isn't worth visiting.

And you just use a VM when you absolutely need to use javascript or flash, like if your registering for health insurance or renewing your license and they use javascript.
>>
>>52150824

just pirate it. ad free.
>>
File: 17894891.png (155 KB, 848x473) Image search: [Google]
17894891.png
155 KB, 848x473
>>52150854
I am using ublock origin. It lets you watch about 2 min worth before it shows this screen.

>>52150874
kind of missing the point of the question, but i'll concede if you just stop talking.
>>
So adblockers for iOS, the only ones I've used are 1blocker and refine, and they're both shit. Are there any good adblockers? Is someone working on uBlock origin fork for iOS? If not, how do I do it myself?
>>
This only happens to people stupid enough to use browser-specific ad blockers.
>>
>Forbes

So that's forbes.com I suppose. I went there with my adblock plus and noscript, had to enable two or three script sources but the website seems to work fine.

Not that it's interesting in any way. Dunno why you would want to browse that.
>>
>>52150745

>current year
>flash

>feelings-safe consensus-approved television
>>
File: fire.jpg (23 KB, 400x397) Image search: [Google]
fire.jpg
23 KB, 400x397
If your site runs on ads, you should really consider suicide.
>>
template/style.css:
#youhaveadblock{display:block;}
#content{display:none;}

advertising/ad-banner-click-780x200-facebook.js:
$('#content').show();
$('#youhaveadblock').hide();
>>
>>52150663
>forbes
If any site has an adblock detector I just stop using it and so should you.
>>
>>52150814
half the plebnet isnt usable, more like

fuck the jewnet, i refuse to take part in it
>>
>>52151306
>If any site has an adblock detector I just stop using it and so should you.
Ditto.
>>
>>52151276
this is retarded
that would really only detect if js is enabled or not
instead you'd want to use js to check the current display of your ad, if its missing or the visibility is hidden or the display is none, etc. Then the js would fux you over by not making the necessary get requests to get the content & load it into one of the page elements, instead triggering some function to tell you to disable your adblocker
>>
>>52151276
This. There are loads of scripts out there to stop anti-adblock sites. Just google.
>>
>>52151497
find one that works for the colbert show.
doesn't exist.
>>
>>52151517
Then write one.
>>
>>52151521
take it easy senpai. i wouldn't wish having to deal with flash binaries even on my worst enemy.
>>
>>52151517
thepiratebay.org
>>
>>52151535
Ad blockers can be defeated by having your ads and assets on the same server, then mapping to different filepaths every now and again (you'd just need to sort out the caching).

But yeah, most video sites have started doing this, some general scripts solve the issue, there are also some specific scripts (e.g. for all 4oD programmes), but it's a lost cause. Just torrent the stuff.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.