[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, I got a few amazon gift cards for christmas and was thinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Pi_2_Model_B.png (115 KB, 688x361) Image search: [Google]
Pi_2_Model_B.png
115 KB, 688x361
Hey, I got a few amazon gift cards for christmas and was thinking about getting a raspberry pi to mess around with, any advice on what model I should get or if the starter kits are worth it?
>>
>>52145620
isn't there a new Pi to get that's better for the same amount?
>>
>>52145646
No. The pi 2 b is the most advanced pi currently out. Buy a vocore.
>>
>>52145646
No clue, I'm doing some research right now, just wanted to see if you guys had any advice
>>
Pi2 is a decent hobby board for a beginner.
>>
Listen here little nigger, you need to get yourself a used thinkpad.
>>
>>52145620
Is there any use for these things now besides being an expensive paperweight? The original pi had so many abandoned projects it was basically the board of broken promises.
>>
>>52145673
I'm just starting to really get into these things, but I was thinking about trying to make the pi/vocore or whatever into what will essentially be an extremely portable unix terminal.
>>
>>52145620
If you don't have a plan, Get the model B, and get a kit. It's got enough power to do all of the projects you see online, and with the kit you will have better odds of having the tools you need to do the project that catches your fancy if youndontnhave a RadioShack or something nearby
>>
>>52145836
that's super easy to do, just throw down for a portable battery, touchscreen, and casing.
>>
Pi 2 B is slow and uses proprietary drivers and a shitty vcore psuedo gpu..

Go with an odroid c1+ its better in literally every spec.
>>
>>52145620

I'll tell you what I didn't like.

https://www.adafruit.com/products/2258

That's kind-of a neat cheap case but you have to snap the Pi in there and press down real hard, and the holes didn't fit in the posts correctly and it was bent for hours before I fixed it and I hope I didn't mar the solder joints trying to get it in. I'd rather have gotten one with screws.

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/pitft-plus-pibow
This case was also shit. I got another Pi with the Adafruit screen on it and while I want to like this case that provides an opening for the screen, you'll notice that the case is in layers, and the layer that's supposed to fit over the HDMI port was pushing down on it and I was again afraid it would mar the Pi. (I had a bad experience with a phone where the solder for one of the ports came loose with wear and tear on the port, and pushing down on the HDMI port was something I figured could pose the same problem.) After taking it apart and trying to put it back twice , that layer above the HDMI port broke and so there's a big gap in it now. Well, at least it's not pressing down on the port anymore. There may be a trick to seating the board in there that I don't know, and the reason I don't know is that there were no docs on the site (there were for previous models). I really want a case that fits a screen well.
>>
>>52146310

I've been looking for a Pi 1 model B because I have an extra TFT screen that fits one, and I'm finding that they're actually more expensive now. It's very hard to find anything other than a Pi 2 Model B.
>>
How does this kit look?

http://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Ultimate-Starter-WiFi/dp/B00G1PNG54/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1451513332&sr=1-6&keywords=raspberry+pi
>>
File: 1450413708809.jpg (9 KB, 348x352) Image search: [Google]
1450413708809.jpg
9 KB, 348x352
>>52145620
>nearly 2016
>considering getting an SJWpi
get a Pine64+ instead
/thread
>>
>>52145620
Element14 and CanaKit are good. I picked up a CanaKit Pi 2 Starter Kit from Microcenter. It's one of the only retail stores I know that carries them. Was actually slightly cheaper than ordering everything. The case is really well made and the heatsinks are nice. Don't plan on using these as a desktop even if you overclock to 1ghz or better. They're not really cut out for it. Do a RetroPi or Lakka box.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.