[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need your expert advice, /g/. I'm planning on upgrading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 18-cooler-master-gx-650w[1].jpg (120 KB, 900x834) Image search: [Google]
18-cooler-master-gx-650w[1].jpg
120 KB, 900x834
I need your expert advice, /g/. I'm planning on upgrading my graphics card to a 980 Ti, and I'm not sure if my power supply can handle it. I ran the parts I had through a power supply calculator, and while my supply is above the load wattage, it doesn't quite reach the recommended one. Am I safe to ignore the recommended wattage, or do I need to upgrade my PSU? Pic related is what I have.
>>
Nothing, really? Not even somebody accusing me of bait and/or newfaggotry?
>>
>>52143226
Would also like to know this. Want to put my rig into an microATX case but need to change the PSU to do that. The highest PSU is 400W, which is about 12W less than the recommended value
>>
Do you have the correct pci power connectors for the 980 on your current one? 2 6pin or whatever? Also amps on that rail are probably more important than overall wattage if you are concerned about the card. If you are pushing close to the wattage limit though it's always nice to have some headroom there. Psus seem to last longer imo when you aren't running them balls out all the time.
>>
>>52144096
>>52143226
Close enough, especially if the PSU is gold or above.
>>
>>52144476
I previously ran a 580, so I definitely have the connectors for a 980 Ti. My main concern is that my machine is getting old, and my 5 year old PSU may not be able to handle it anymore.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-30-17-11-52.png (125 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-30-17-11-52.png
125 KB, 720x1280
>>52144895
It shouldnt be a problem no. Video cards recommended wattages are usually quite a bit over what theyll realistically use or need because god only knows what no name chinese garbage power supplies some people use.

Your psu seems to have 52 amps on the 12v rail so you should be fine. All depends on the rest of your system too. If you're heavily overclocked and plan to do the same to the 980 ti then you might consider a new psu yes.

Otherwise if your psu isn't showing any signs of dying or otherwise fucking up, keep it.
>>
>>52145028
I don't plan on overclocking with this machine, but I have other reasons to be concerned. My main reason for the new card is that the 580 I used to have died on me. At the time I thought it was just overheating (I still live at home and my mom insists that I keep my machine in a cabinet), but now I'm wondering if maybe the problem was with my power supply. After gaming for a while, my screen would go black and I'd have to do a hard reboot. After taking out the 580 everything was fine, so I assumed the problem was with the card, but is there a possibility that the PSU could have been the problem?
>>
>>52145150
Only way to know would be to bit the psu with a multimeter. Dee if it is delivering rhe proper voltage.

And whats with the "insists pc in cabinet"? Is is that loud or you guys share a single room apartment or something?
>>
What happens if if your computer tries to use more power than the psu can draw?
>>
>>52145175
I'd rather not bother getting a multimeter and testing the PSU myself. Can I take it somewhere to get it done for me without being ridiculously overcharged for it? As for why my mom insists on the cabinet, she considers it an eyesore to have it sitting out with proper ventilation.
>>
>>52145233
>Can I take it somewhere to get it done for me without being ridiculously overcharged for it?

It would be cheaper to buy a new PSU if you're that unsure. Labor is fucking expensive.
>>
>>52145233
Sounds dumb. And not that I know of sorry. You have a spare machine you can test the video card in? Black screens etc usually point to the card. Put the CPU under a heavy stress test like prime95 to increase load on the psu as well.

There is the chance that the pcie power connectors you're using went bad which is rare but does happen. Does your psu have a 2nd set of pcie power cables you could use?

Pretty much trial and error. Sounds more likely that you card just cooked itself. If it was a reference cooled 580, those were known to run hot to begin with let alone in a non ventilated cabinet/case.
>>
>>52145300
>It would be cheaper to buy a new PSU
Based on the responses I've gotten from this thread, I think I'll wait and see how the new card performs.

>>52145304
>Sounds dumb
It is.

>You have a spare machine you can test the video card in?
Sadly, I don't have that card anymore. I had my GPU troubles over a year ago at this point and I've only now had the opportunity to get a replacement. I had the old card recycled quite a while ago. That is a mistake I won't be making again.

>Does your psu have a 2nd set of pcie power cables you could use?
No, just the one set.

>If it was a reference cooled 580
It was.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.