[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Networking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1451145458213.jpg (68 KB, 988x688) Image search: [Google]
1451145458213.jpg
68 KB, 988x688
Alright /g/ I need some help understanding some concepts here. What does a subnet mask and default gateway do? And how to use them correctly?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1437921645300.jpg (56 KB, 651x507) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1437921645300.jpg
56 KB, 651x507
Troll? Or really want to know?
>>
>>52128510
>WD-40
>Not GT-85
plebe

But I had a giggle at that image anyway. Thank you.
>>
>>52127050
Let DHCP guide you, and your devices.

But really, the subnet mask indicates which part of the network can be reached directly, as opposed by going through a gateway.

It literally (binary) masks the size of the locally reachable network to size xy.
>>
indirect correlation between picture and what happens at the packet level and weather or not the default Gateway (dhcp opt 3) comes into play.
>>
>>52128569
Thanks. But why is it useful in a small LAN, lets say 3 devices connected to the router?

>>52128510
Not a troll....
>>
>>52128978

It's not
>>
>>52128978
Because the technology standard is designed for vast networks?

Never mind that if this LAN is the one you currently connect to the internet with, you're really kinda using this functionality.
>>
>>52129039
Okay and what does the default gateway have to do with this functionality?
>>
Help thread ITT

Is there any where I can find a sort of compendium in the form:

When/If sending/receiving data over port ##, you will deal with a buffer of 1024 characters, or more, and will find a process that goes as follows: ACK, SYN, ACK, read(), reply(), close();
read( istream& in )
{
char* c = in;
// here explains what
// the function does
// to/with the data it is
// sent.

}

I guess what I'm asking about is that I want to deal with network connections programmatically and without having to re-invent the wheel in the process of learning the current one. In essence, apply an understanding rather than get inched in on one, if that makes any sense. To use what I know about programming in general and apply it to the greater networking scheme rather than jerry rig a new understanding and create a greater rift between machine and process.
>>
>>52129120
If the target is in the submask, find computer directly, else ask the default gateway to figure it out.
>>
>>52129120
It's kinda like a building with huge rooms, possibly crowded with people.

If you know you're in the same room ('cause the wall -subnet mask- tells you you are) you might shout to talk to someone directly.

If you know you're not, you might try going to the next door, then to the next door, and then to the next door until you are, and then shout.

I guess the analogy has some flaws since it's packages that you send and machines that pass them forward and stuff and things, but eh...
>>
>>52129173
Found one btw, but I've had this one for a bit now. I guess I wasn't as versed in "programming" then as it seems like it's the perfect book for the job. Sadly, there is no ISBN or author info in the book's pages.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.