[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
File: 1451255877606.gif (1 MB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1451255877606.gif
1 MB, 500x400
Post your simple/small/stupid questions here, ONCE.
DO NOT BUMP THE THREAD, You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Read the sticky before posting.
Take at least 10 seconds to google it first.

Redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread

If you have any GNU/Linux related questions, ask in the friendly linux thread
>>>/g/flt

>>52118243
>>
asked last thread, asking again:
>>52123460
>>
File: Capture.png (13 KB, 447x286) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
13 KB, 447x286
>>52123947
I get pic related whenever I start GOM player. How do I fix this annoying shit?
>>
>>52123472
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0H8TOC/ref=s9_simh_gw_p422_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-4&pf_rd_r=11DTHY43MSXAZRYBNKZQ&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2090149782&pf_rd_i=desktop

Are these good for the price?
>>
>>52123974
doesn't matter how "secure" your password is, it along with your username and other details is likely stored in an unencrypted database somewhere.

>>52123990
uninstall and reinstall after getting the installer from a trusted source, gomplayer shouldn't be opening a webpage on startup
>>
My OnePlus 2 won't play WebM's on WiFi, but will on mobile data.
I've tried Chrome, Chrome Dev, Firefox, and VLC.
I've set my IP as static in my router on the recommendation from someone here, but it didn't work.
Anything else I can try?
>>
>>52123974
ask the NSA
>>
If I want to install an operating system (specificaly win 3.1 NT), for use on a USB, would i go through the same process as I would with Tails?
>>
>>52124016
>>52124023
Then how long minimal should the password be? is 10-12 characters good enough, as in not easy to crack or guess?
>>
>>52124021
Buy a non shit, non-chink designed phone.
>>
>>52124039
depends on the variety of characters and how random it is.
what is your password?
>>
How do I start waking up early while being a depressed neet with no responsibilities.
>>
>>52124058
you find something to do. a job is a fine start.
>>
If you plug an internal DVD-ROM drive into an external HDD enclosure (with cables that are long enough to reach), will it work?
>>
>>52124058
Buy an alarm clock and get good enough sleep, 8 hours should be good enough.
>>
>>52124039
yeah, password security is pretty much just to foil jokers who have actual physical access to your machine, in which case you're probably using a password manager that auto logs you in aren't ya? passwords are pretty much just to keep out the casual snoop unless you're using some 30character length stuff it's easy enough to get around either by cracking or finding the password actually stored somewhere unencrypted
>>
>>52124094
If it's eSATA it should work.
If it's USB then it may or may not, depends on the firmware, although most should.
>>
When I tell Deluge "Do not download" particular files in a torrent, it downloads every file anyway.

I googled the issue but every relevant link was broken... does anyone know how to fix this?
>>
>>52124016
I just reinstalled it from its original site. Still happening.

GOM player does play ads. Does it have something to do with that?
>>
>>52124168
>>>/mlp/
>>
>>52124154
maybe you're trying to open one of those oldskool malware videos that when you play em open up a webpage with like a bazillion popups and popunders
>>
>>52124139
that means the file shares a chunk with one you do want to download
>>
>>52124187
It's all my normal, old files that played without any problems before.
>>
>>52124205
have you tried a different player? maybe the files have become corrupt or something
>>
is there a lightweight, preferably portable program to view gifs and webms that runs on windows [spoiler]xp[/spoiler]?
>>
>>52124221
Just played them with the default win10 app. Works fine.

It started a few hours ago when I connected my laptop via hotspot to my 3G connection on my android.
>>
>>52124168
you're looking at dedicated servers
what you want is a vps
>>
>>52124055
>>52124100
As long as I don't use dictionary words, am I uncrackable?
>>
>>52124168
>posting worst pony

I've used 123systems' VPS services in the past, it did what they said they offered and I didn't notice any downtime.
>>
>>52124337
>worst

shit taste tbqh
>>
>>52123947
What's the hamster from, I had a wee plushy of it when I was a wain
>>
>>52124406
Hamtaro.
>>
Smartphone question.
Samsung Galaxy S4 i9500 vs i9506. Does the CPU difference is really that important here? Also, any known issues with the cheaper version?
Thx in advance, pic obviously unrelated.
>>
File: 1451370779429[1].jpg (31 KB, 729x410) Image search: [Google]
1451370779429[1].jpg
31 KB, 729x410
Re-posting from two threads ago
>>52116363

tl;dr

Bought a Sprint phone with a CLEAN ESN, am only allowed to activate it on Sprint Post-paid, not MVNOs. Some people have had success complaining THROUGH the MVNOs and others report success through the FCC. Which do?

Some anon asked:
>Can't you just have it unlocked by a third party?
No, Sprint is CDMA, there are no "carrier unlocks" those devices (with the exception of world phones, which mine isn't) are pretty much made to only function on Sprint's frequencies.

(also posted here: also
>>52122642)
>>
>>52123974
literally http://lmgtfy.com/?q=10-12+char+password+safe%3F
>>
Why does my Firefox start at 200MB memory when I open it but then like 10 minutes later it's at almost 1GB with just a couple tabs open.
>>
File: 1451333988030.png (114 KB, 835x409) Image search: [Google]
1451333988030.png
114 KB, 835x409
>Turn iMac on
>Don't even login
>After a while, CPU fan kicks on
>Whirrr whirr
>Turns off
>twenty minutes later, check on iMac
>Still being shit

And the HDD fan is being a dick too. I thought it was just Plex Server overloading this thing but it just happens regardless. These aren't very extreme temps for my CPU fan to be 600rpm away from reaching it's max, right?

I've noticed this after I got a TV and started turning the fan off in my room to listen to it. Also... I moved my computer to a different room so that contributes to me noticing this now. I say this because idk how long it's been going on. I've always had headphones on and a loud fan to cancel the noises.

CPU fan just kicked off and it sounds quiet now but I bet the HDD fan will kick on later and be even louder than the CPU fan. Fuck..
>>
File: Package Tracking.png (36 KB, 613x707) Image search: [Google]
Package Tracking.png
36 KB, 613x707
What're the chances of convincing a retailer to send out $200 worth of computer components if the first one never showed up? If not send out another batch, what're the chances of getting a full refund?

Package was supposed to be here on Saturday, but didn't arrive then, monday, or today. I've opened an inquiry with USPS, but haven't heard back from them. I've resolved to contact the seller (Outlet PC) on friday if it hasn't arrived.

Pic related: It's my tracking details.
>>
Are there communities on IRC? I'd be interested in chatting with people who share my interests. I'm not having much luck with getting people on Skype.
>>
>>52124852
you won't get any info outta usps on your end bruh, go ahead and contact the retailer to complain about shipping. you shit will probably arrive in the next day or two if you do that and you just might get a gift card for your trouble.
>>
File: 1451423935389[1].jpg (15 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
1451423935389[1].jpg
15 KB, 300x200
>>52124867
There are still lots of niche IRC chatrooms. What topics are you after?

My question is about Youtube and Autoplay (I mage a thread before realising it should go here, apologies). There's probably a stupid simple answer to this but my googling abilities are apparently fading with old age. Is there a plugin (or even a Greasemonkey script) that will add a button to remove the video that's "Up Next" in autoplay? Most of the time I don't want to watch it but there's other videos further down the playlist that I do.

I don't understand why I can't remove things I don't want to watch before they actually start playing.

(To be clear, I don't want to remove the playlist feature altogether, just individual suggestions.)

Any help appreciated.
>>
File: cccp screenshot issue.png (29 KB, 485x484) Image search: [Google]
cccp screenshot issue.png
29 KB, 485x484
I can't get CCCP/MPC-hc to open any SWF files.
Tried uninstalling reinstalling, reset settings, etc.
Halp?
>>
How the fuck do I get winblows 7 to remember my credentials for network drives on my windows 2012 server? Every fucking restart it asks me to retype it even though I tick the remember box.

I've also added my username/password to credential manager with IP and hostname but still no luck.
>>
Anyone have a MacBook Pro with an SD card slot? I have a late 2011 model and was thinking of picking up an SD card for some extra storage. Worth it? How common are SD slots on other laptops/computers?
>>
>>52125269
I suppose there is nothing stopping you. Would be cheaper and maybe faster to use usb3 ones if you have any.

Microsd cards aren't very fast even though they like to brag with high sequential speeds.
>>
>>52125328
Sadly my laptop only has 2.0. I thought maybe I could use the SD card as a transfer medium, but a flash drive would probably be better for that. Thanks for the reply.
>>
>>52124334
no. regular dictionaries have no connection to password dictionaries.
>>
>>52125269
>How common are SD slots on other laptops/computers?
They used to be pretty common (laptops would have regular SD card slots (and PCMCIA back in the day), desktops would sometimes come with a multi-card adapter built into the front of the case where the floppy drive used to go, but these days USB ports are more useful and universal so it's not so common.

SD cards aren't generally that fast and are comparatively expensive per GB compared to external drives so it's not going to be ideal, but if you need a bit of extra space, and don't mind spending over the odds for it, there's no reason not to use the card slot I suppose. Don't go running any Windows VMs on it as the read/write of the virtual memory would probably fuck up the card pretty quickly.
>>
>>52124852
>out for delivery
>never marked as delivered

Either its been returned because he couldn't find you're place for whatever fucking reason or I don't know. Either way, should be easy to sort this out since its not marked as delivered the retailer will just nag USPS about it and hopefully send you another package or give a refund.
>>
>>52124852
Give it some time. I've had that heppen.
>>
>>52125408
I misread something too. I read MicroSD instead just SD. SD are generally a bit faster but still nothing amazing. Also I doubt your laptops SD slot is UHS capable which leaves you with about 25mb/s sequential speeds and that's very optimistic.
>>
>>52123947
ok so I downloaded adaway for my phone but it says im missing something in order for it to work
i found out i need something called 'root' but google gives me a bunch of suspicious looking sites. can anyone point me in the right direction?

bonus question: will installing it on my phone void the warranty of my 5X?
>>
Can someone post direct download link to video on this page? I don't have flash and youtube-dl doesn't work.
http://www.shape.com/celebrities/interviews/lauren-cohan-spills-her-secrets-killer-body
:^) Thanks
>>
>>52125514
it doesn't even require flash you idiot.
https://dih1l34ei3029.cloudfront.net/56210576/56210576_mobileh264.mp4?rhihttphost=shape.ramp.com
>>
>>52125509
If it requires root then you're altering your device to give you full admin access, and many Android devices won't allow it without a lot of screwing around. Your warranty will be void in most cases.

I use Block This! on my tablet, it creates a VPN to block ads and doesn't require root. The free version has to be restarted every time you reboot your device, but it works well. I had issues with the Adblock Browser, but I'm fairly certain it didn't require root, so you might want to try that also.
>>
>>52125666
This tbhfam. Adblock just needs to configured as a proxy in your wifi settings and you're done.
>>
Basically, I have a laptop that is not connected to any internet and never will be, so my only concern is physical theft. I still want to encrypt my data, but I want it to be running as invisibly as possible (as in the less passwords I need to enter every time I boot it up the better just because I'm lazy). What are my options? Is Veracrypt good?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOd3795GMcw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB871SVYMhI

How does people make these kind of videos? is there any videomaker or something?
>>
Would a question thread about iPad controllers be better suited for here or /v/?
>>
I need to remove an email account from a users outlook. Its not a manually added pst file, I think its actually another user's email. Only the host user email is listed on mail settings. What the fuck do I need to do to remove this? I have exchange admin access but when I checked both their mailboxes/accounts I didn't see anything.
>>
>>52125246
Anyone?
>>
>>52125847
Try Samba.
>>
>>52125657
Thanks sport. Message the site gave me was to install flash.
>>
the problem here is that I have to cut my budget to below 1000$ CDN, which, I know, is hard. Our dollar is worth fucking monopoly money for real at this point. Someone recommended a 380x and it is pushing me over.

Someone else asked why I would want micro ATX and the answer is that I want something far more portable. Laptops are too expensive to get decent performance out of. I've moved 5 times in the past year and a half, and I may have to move again in June, so I need something that travels better than the huge airflow case that I used to have.

This is what I've got now
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/TtbyGX
>>
I scavenged an old 2007 Samsung SyncMaster 971p from my family's home and I've been trying to connect it to my computer. However, since it's a pretty old screen, it only supports DVI input. So, I bought a DVI-HDMI cable hoping it'd would work, but Winblows (>inb4 >using windows) doesn't seem to detect it. Any help?
>>
>>52125824
Remove-Mailbox-Permission jadajada full access automapping false jadajda

on the account you need to remove. Just look up the syntax for above. I have this on a windows sticky note at work.

Alternatively click through the GUI to the mailbox you want to remove and go to full-access on the lower right box and remove the user.
>>
File: 1418173951222.gif (444 KB, 332x331) Image search: [Google]
1418173951222.gif
444 KB, 332x331
PLEASE RECOMMEND ME SOME NICE SOFTWARE FOR VIDEO EDITING.
FUCK!

No need for fancy effects just cutting and putting together.
>>
I need to buy an HDD and SDD are these two fine?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236343

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147371
>>
>>52125969
shotcut
>>
>>52125210
What's a good program to play SWF files?
>>
Alright some anons were helping me with trying to fix my Ethernet.

I can get on to the internet with a WiFi adapter though. we tried the DNS and updating drivers and stuff. Nothing was working.

Last thing they said was to go to 10.0.0.1
I'm there now. Its xfinity website. What do I do from here.
>>
>>52125666
>>52125707
i read somewhere that adblck is a battery hog tho?
also what's the differencence between flashing and rooting your device?
>>
>>52125926
Why do you need such an expensive CPU? Are you doing intensive CPU work, or gaming? If it's the latter, get a cheaper CPU (an i5 4xxx) and spend the savings on a better GPU.
>>
>>52126041
>SWF
VLC.
>>
>>52125824
also, just read that you checked both mailboxes. Then I assume you've checked the full access permission in the GUI. The GUI lies quite often and doesn't always actually do the commits. Use the exchange power shell and do the Remove-MailboxPermission with automapping false I mentioned here >>52125956
>>
File: 2013-03-14-l3-e7548-openbox.jpg (667 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
2013-03-14-l3-e7548-openbox.jpg
667 KB, 1920x1200
So I was going to make a thread exclusively for this, but I Remembered there was a stupid questions thread..but if I don't get a response, I'll still make one..

Anyway, Is there anyway in Linux to find out what files, like .confs, and .sh's a program that you download, creates? For example if I download the program Foo. And it creates 3 files, foo.conf, foo.sh and foo.log. Is there anyway to find out, which files "belong" to it? Systemd makes it a bit easier to see which daemons belong together, but it doesn't tell you about individual files.

I'm curious to see a program like openbox, and X11, which files belong to which program.
>>
>>52123947
this 20+4 pin power connector for the motherboard is impossible to take off

Has anyone ever broken a motherboard while trying to take it off? I am scared.

I am also scared of how my huge GPU is hanging when horizontal. Can it really hold its own weight with just the back and the PCI-e express slot support?
>>
>>52126047
Could well be, I couldn't say - my tablet is like a second screen for me.

The difference between flashing your device with a custom OS (Cyanogenmod for instance), and rooting it, is that the former requires a complete reinstall of the OS, and the latter simply lets you have complete control over the existing OS and install what you like.
>>
>>52126084
no, just do it faggot.
If you are that much of a pussy, take flat nose pliers and hold the socket of the ATX power while pulling (you will scratch the socket though).

yes of course it can, if there was the slightest question about it, it would have a backplate, also the majority of the weight is carried by the case bracket.
>>
File: 1448403909131.jpg (35 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1448403909131.jpg
35 KB, 640x480
Some guy on the CNN money channel said that he thinks Apple will buy Tesla, and that Musk could be the next CEO of Apple. These are both retarded ideas that will never happen, right?
>>
>>52126068
Also doesn't work.
>>
>>52126073
That looks... fucking sweet my man.
>>
My laptop is constantly on the verge of being out of space. Every time I delete some shit, my computer decides to make up the difference by adding shit to the Windows folder.

The Windows\Installer and Windows\winsxs folders take up 19.8GB and 12.7GB. That's like half my damn hard drive. How can I reduce this without ruining my computer?
>>
>>52126154
yep, it's highly unlikely and pure speculation off the fact that apple has too much money to burn and that they want to compete with google in the automatic driving car market.

I give it a less than 5% chance of actually happening. As for musk becoming CEO of Apple is complete bullshit. I doubt he'd even want to (or is actually qualified to do so).
Then again it's just Apple so there aren't many requirements for a CEO.
>>
>>52126084
>Has anyone ever broken a motherboard while trying to take it off? I am scared.
It has a clip, squeeze it and give it a tug whilst carefully holding the board down with your other hand.. As long as the board is properly screwed down you'll be fine.

(To answer your question, yes, I have broken motherboards whilst removing components. They're quite fragile and if you work in IT repair long enough you'll get one that is brittle in the wrong place. Shit happens.)

>I am also scared of how my huge GPU is hanging when horizontal. Can it really hold its own weight with just the back and the PCI-e express slot support?
Yes. They should be screwed to the case in two places, and that makes their attachment fairly firm. Still, when moving a desktop with a sizeable GPU in a vehicle I always lie them horizontally to minimise the risk.
>>
>>52126050
I do video editing, which I had thought relies largely on CPU. Also a lot of photoshop work.
>>
>>52125930
Pls respond
>>
>>52125956
>>52126071
Thanks.
>>
>>52126213
download windirstat.
you're welcome.
>>
>>52126180
What is the SWF? Can you link it?
>>
>>52126003

can I >>52125806
with it?

Hint: if I'm asking the question in a wrong thread and/or wrong board, pls give me advice
>>
>>52126154
That'd be pretty interesting. I could see Musk moving more of Apple's manufacturing to the US, and I bet he'd take a Jobsian approach to product lines (sparse and simple with low cannibilization).
>>
>>52126245
Literally any swf ive gotten from /f/
>>
>>52126084
What gpu? There might be a bit of sag but shouldn't be anything major. And yes some power connectors are impossible to pull off. I thought I would break my gpu/motherboard trying to pull the gpu power supply off.
>>52126047
Flash is like installing loonix on your wangblows laptop. Rooting is like making an admin account on your wangblows. And root, install adaway, enjoy no ads.
>>52126001
Yes those are two standard options. Go for a smaller hd and bigger ssd if you can. 120gb runs out fast.
>>52125930
Faulty connector in your computer possibly.
>>52125926
Where's the ram and gpu? There are z97 motherboards at $100 you can get. The CPU is a bit overkill but it will last you a long time -
I'd personally keep it.
>>52125788
Boot time encryption.
>>52125509
Not really, it's easy to root and unroot nexus core devices. Just xda a simple rooting guide.
>>
File: wind.jpg (201 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
wind.jpg
201 KB, 1366x768
>>52126239
Where you think I got these numbers?
>>
Some .ipa files will not extract from my iphone, I don't have a mac so these programs that you can use to extract it won'twork. How would I extract these files?
>>
File: 1442669109289.png (721 KB, 500x736) Image search: [Google]
1442669109289.png
721 KB, 500x736
Running an at home wamp server.

What should I use it for.
>>
>>52126279
could you point me to where i can download root?
the only links i can find are from sketchy looking sites
>>
>>52126279
>Yes those are two standard options. Go for a smaller hd and bigger ssd if you can. 120gb runs out fast.

Thanks man, for the ssd though I plan to just have the OS and maybe a game or two on it and that's about it.
>>
>>52126306
An imageboard :^)
>>
File: 1397142477727.gif (35 KB, 300x325) Image search: [Google]
1397142477727.gif
35 KB, 300x325
>>52126003
Thank you anon
>>
>>52126281
Start it (second icon on the left), you'll get a graphical overview of the files and click the squares to see where the files are.

Also I think it's your pagefile.

>>52126238
You're welcome, it's such a bad joke that the GUI will just flat out lie to you. We switched to only using the power shell for mailbox permissions at work.
>>
>>52126224
Fair enough. You may want to look into GPU acceleration for video editing, though, as it's commonly supported these days and provides a significant performance boost.
>>
>>52126279

Well that's what I'm here for. I'm not sure if I should drop the graphics card to a lesser model to make room monetarily for the RAM and case. Someone said I should take a 380x but I have no idea how the ram and case will fit the budget, then. Looking for some help there.
>>
>>52126326
I've done it before multiple times for the fun of it. And I've ran it on my vps.
>>
>>52126271
Grabbed a few from /f/ and they all played. If it's interactive then use a browser.
>>
File: wind2.jpg (340 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
wind2.jpg
340 KB, 1366x768
>>52126353
I get how to see the files, my question is what to do about them. How can I clear up space safely? Last time I ran Windows Install Cleanup, I lost Microsoft Office which was a huge headache.
>>
>>52126321
Apparently the ported the nexus toolkit to 5x. http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-5x/development/toolkit-wugs-nexus-root-toolkit-v2-1-0-t3258492 check the first post. It's not gonna be as much of a learning experience as doing it manually but it'll be easier. Also, rooting is the process of granting yourself root (admin) access. It's not something you download.
>>52126324
I said that too a year ago. OS+Firefox+ms office+2 games and I'm sitting at 40gb free on 120gb. It's a lot better to spend $30 more or whatever and get 256gb I realize now but it's your choice in the end.
>>
I'm downloading ~250 torrents.

One finished and instead of deleting the finished one from the list, I deleted an unfinished one, but not the folder/file.

Just the torrent from the list.

Now I have an unfinished movie lost between other 250.

Is there any way I can find it?

I have no idea what movie I deleted from the torrent list.
>>
>>52125210
>>52126041
>>52126068
>>52126180
>>52126245
>>52126271
I'm thinking the latest flash update, broke most players ability to render swf.
>>
>>52126224
You should also be looking at buying a lot of RAM. Makes a big difference for video editing.
>>
I know changing from ahci to raid usually results in a bluescreen but will it bluescreen too if I enable an additional controller in raid mode? Shouldn't it just show up as a new device on reboot?
>>
>>52126324
A 120GB SSD is a pain in the ass. Get a bigger one, trust me.
>>
File: Unbenannt.png (731 KB, 774x448) Image search: [Google]
Unbenannt.png
731 KB, 774x448
Why do i get this boot message : "no supported devices found " and how can i fix this ?
>>
helped friend build pc, everything went well up untill windows installation where the HDD doesn't get recognized. I can see it in the bios but it doesn't appear in the list. AHCI is enabled and it's plugged in correctly. Tried formatting with command prompt but didn't work. Any ideas?
>>
File: 1422439952534.jpg (94 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1422439952534.jpg
94 KB, 800x600
who put a HDD in my laptop.
Also how did my laptop chanaged from a latitude to that.
>>
>>52126420
Check where your in progress torrent files are saved.
>>52126377
Drop the cooler, get cheaper mobo, add 2x4gb cheap ram, add a mid level graphics and cheap case. You should save a bit more otherwise before you order parts, or buy something used from kijiji. If you can live without gaming for a while the i7 has integrated graphics.
>>
>>52126438
Video editing is what I do on the side, though. I mean yeah, it's something I'm trying to break into professionally, but right now I do a lot of photoshop shit and lightroom. I know I'm all over the place with this shit, but clearly, as my recent history of moving a lot, so is my life.
>>
>>52126449
Depends on what you're using for RAID. If it's some cheap motherboard solution, install your RAID manager, create the RAID array at boot, and hope that it shows as a single drive in Windows.
>>
>>52126480
They're all being saved to a 3TB drive that I'm going to connect to a RPi.

They're all in a folder called Movies.
>>
>Faulty connector in your computer possibly.
Nope, checked and the HDMI port is good on my end.
>>
>>52126471
What hardware are we talking about? Model numbers etc.
>>
should i get a moto g?
>>
should i get a moto g?
>>
>>52126507
Check for the extension !ut as incomplete files have them if the option is enabled. If not, try to move all of them. All of them will not be moved as they are being used. The only ones not in use aka your deleted torrent will be movable.
>>
File: 20151229_171231-1.jpg (3 MB, 2236x2236) Image search: [Google]
20151229_171231-1.jpg
3 MB, 2236x2236
Is there something wrong with my graphics card? (Other than it being a meme card)it looks like it's missing a tip of the pci-e?
>>
>>52126545
No, maybe a year or two ago but now there are better budget options.
>>
>>52126532
Do you mean the HDD? it's WD black 500GB
He has an intel MSI mobo.
>>
>>52126605
Maybe. It'll still make contact so it doesn't matter
>>
File: acer-c201.jpg (29 KB, 750x601) Image search: [Google]
acer-c201.jpg
29 KB, 750x601
What does /g think of the Rockchip RK3288 & other ARM based laptops? Anyone here used one more modern than the first green Samsung ones?

I gave away my netbook years ago, but lately have missed having a tiny, long lived, laptop I didn't have to worry about.

I'd be switching it to a more standard distro, not chrome, of course.

Pic related: a Rockchip RK3288 based, sub $200, 11" laptop
>>
>>52126409
The blue ones (ca. 22gb) are windows installer patch.

You can probably just delete all of them. Also turn off auto downloads in windows update (or apply the patches in windows update ffs).
>>
>>52126476
u English m8?

>>52126469
Try installing an HDD into your PC
>>
>>52126480
Hah, I've already been living without gaming for a while. Last desktop bricked almost a year ago now. I've been living with a nearly-bricked laptop from early 2011.
>>
>>52126481
Stick with the build but get more RAM.

>>52125930
>Samsung SyncMaster 971p
Can you use VGA to get an image up on the screen? Just to test. You may need to enable it as a separate display when hooked up via HDMI, which you might be able to do whilst connected via VGA, though I've never encountered this issue (HDMI and DVI are usually complaint enough to work without issue) so this is a pretty wild guess. You might want to see if there are drivers on the manufacturer's site for the monitor.
>>
If I downgrade my windows 10 to a windows 7, will the computer be slower?
>>
>>52126712
Yes
>>
>>52126476
A minimum wage worker in a third world shithole. Minimum wage there is probably $3 a day, and only getting raped by your manager over a month. More often of your pretty, but less often if you pull extra shifts.
>>
>>52126625
Not some obscure block size issue, then. Which version of Windows?
>>
>>52126409
Rename installer and software distribution and restart. If comp turns on fine, delete them. They're legacy installer crap from updates.
>>52126712
Same speed more or less.
>>
>>52126469
Disable RAID.
>>
>>52123947
What's a good recommended email client for Windows that isn't Thunderbird?
>>
>>52126657
I can boot from my HDD. That's why i wonder.
>>
>>52126831
owa on your personal email server
>>
>>52126712
Depends on the system, but yes, probably.
>>
I'm looking at used phones, should I get a HTC one m8 for $130, lg g3 for $165, or note 3 for $175?
>>
>>52126841
Don't have an email server and I don't have an old PC lying around to set one up.
>>
What could be causing stuttering problems half way through watching a movie on my TV connected to my PC thru hdmi?

it happens in almost all movies no matter what player i use, MPC or vlc or KMPlayer.
half way through watching a movie, the frame rate will drop significantly so i have to close it and restart it back where it was and it will be fine.

PC specs are
i5 3750k, 8gb ram, gtx970
TV
Vizio M 55, and i have the hdmi connected to a 4k 30hz port.

files are mkv bluray rips
>>
>>52126889
https://alternativeto.net/software/mozilla-thunderbird/?platform=windows
>>
>>52126709
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/QLm2XL

Something like this? If only I could skim another 50$ off.
>>
>>52126915
Have you tried it on a regular HDMI port, as a test?
>>
>>52126583
Moving them did it.

I moved the unfinished ones instead.

Thanks m8.
>>
>>52126924
get a full ATX sized motherboard instead of that gaming garbage. -25$

Then spent the 75$ on a 250GB 850 EVO.
>>
>>52126709
Thing is, my laptop doesn't have a VGA output. I was actually thinking of doing a HDMI-VGA-DVI setup, since apparently the monitor came with a VGA-DVI cable out of the box, and pray that it'd work.
>>
>>52126919
Alright thanks.
>>
>>52126924
Many i7s are only marginally better performers for media encoding/transcoding than some much cheaper i5s. Take a look at some per-core performance benchmark comparisons (and media encoding ones, if you can dig them up - tomshardware might be of help) before laying out the cash for the i7.
>>
for the last month or so firefox has been randomly freezing for up to 30 seconds at a time

downgrading to 42.0 seems to have fixed it for now but a more permanent solution would be nice
>>
>>52127063
wait for the new api to hit and sjwfox will give a big fuck you to all addon developers. that's when I look to see a real fork of ff that's worth using to be born
>>
Is there a decent working app for saving 4chan images from a thread with the filenames intact that still works?
>>
So I want some software that does the following
I type a message>translates to french>then to spanish>then to english>then copys to clipboard, anyone know of any software that does this or software that wipes typing styles
>>
>>52126041
I use gnash but it doesn't even work for half of the swf files.
>>
>>52127125
a dta filter?
>>
>>52126979
I'm going for a micro-atx sized case, though. I need a smaller form factor so that I can carry this thing around much more easily. Getting a huge tower is just not portable enough for me.
>>
I recently upgraded to a 1 Gb/s internet connection.
Do I get a regular CAT 6 cable or a CAT 6A?
>>
>>52127006
>I was actually thinking of doing a HDMI-VGA-DVI setup, since apparently the monitor came with a VGA-DVI cable out of the box, and pray that it'd work.
It won't. That VGA-DVI cable will carry an analogue signal, which DVI-I cables/ports supported as a legacy feature. You'd need a VGA-HDMI converter box containing active circuitry to convert the analogue VGA signal to digital, which is necessary as HDMI does not support analogue signals of any kind. The process is inherently lossy and not recommended.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-30_00-32-28.png (38 KB, 802x229) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-30_00-32-28.png
38 KB, 802x229
Why can't I send email to my email address using exim4? I've configured it as internet site. When I try sending mail directly with exim, it also says connection refused, is it because of the fake domain name? What can I do to be able to send email?
>>
>>52127154

Maybe a rename mask? What should I put as the filter?
>>
>>52126712
Depends on what it's doing. On average, probably the exact same speed. Assuming you have enough RAM to keep from swapping
>>
>>52126831
Mutt
>>
>>52126073
There's not really a nice way to do this, the best I've got is to run: `strace -fe open Foo`, it will run Foo, and write a line to stderr for each file Foo opens.

Of course Foo opens a ton of irrelevant libraries, maybe doesn't open a particular file until you perform an action requiring it, or uses caches, and so on.

You could also watch for inode changes as your program runs I guess? And then quickly lsof the file while it's open... that'd be one hell of a logging system.
>>
this might be a bit more complicated then this thread allows but here I go

>old computer, worked fine for months
>try to turn on today, keeps turning back off after only a few seconds
>FFFFUUUUUUU
>after a long long time of playing with it found that computer will stay on if I unplug the 4 pin cpu power cord
>but of course without it nothing happens and computer cannot boot
>heat sink is clean and silver is wet and new
>still trying to google

should I just get a new cpu?
>>
Is GMER legit?
>>
>>52127343
Try to reduce the power consumption without removing anything vital for the PC to boot and try to turn it on. If it works then it's a power shortage.

If you didn't mention anything about the power cord, I'd assume it's a failed hard drive or memory problem.
>>
Where the fuck do I buy a 2gb mini SD card? I'm not looking for a micro sd, or an adapter, just a plain old mini sd card in the 2gb size. I can provide some more information on why if anyone cares to ask.
>>
>>52127343
Sounds like a classic case of PSU on the way out. If you've got anything important on your HDD, unplug it as dying PSUs have a tendency of frying attached components.

If you've got another PSU lying around, fire it up with the old paperclip trick and use that one to power the 4-pin. If the PC works then, buy a new PSU, problem solved.

It is very unlikely that replacing the CPU will fix this issue.
>>
I'm using the Deluge plugin Execute to pass arguments to a C++ program
all windows 7

I trying to test execute so that I can eventually write a thing in c++ to log completion times and send the logs somewhere else
the somewhere else part is why I don't want to just use a batch file

I have it set to a test exe to make sure it will output
I put the path to the exe as they described on the site
I set the same thing to run on add, on completion and on removal
the first test (my) program runs is a cout, but
>it only opens cmd when a torrent is added, but not completed or removed
>the cmd window is blank and it shouldnt be

yes I tested my exe under various conditions in cmd
all it does is output a word followed by any arguments passed to it, if any

any ideas where I or deluge execute might have fucked up?
are exes too haram for a plugin that otherwise prefers batch scripts?
is there any actual fucking documentation for the execute plugin anywhere other than the shitty tutorial on the deluge site?
>>
>>52126213
Downgrade to windows XP, it doesn't use the winsxs crap.
>>
Alright, so trying to install new cpu. It's the same socket, FM2. The cooler on the old cpu is stock, and the screws have springs on them. After unscrewing it, it's still securely attached. What do? Warm up the thermal paste enough to separate them? The cpu is locked in, the cooler I'd stuck to cpu I believe.
>>
>>52127493
Windows XP is only suitable for offline machines.

Please let's not have this argument.
>>
>>52127512
Is there no latch to unclip?
>>
Is there anything like NetBalancer that shows monthly data usage?
>>
Can I have a dynamic IP address without a router?
>>
>>52127730
DUMeter or Netlimiter.
>>
>>52127775
Assuming you mean if you're still connected to your ISP via a modem, then yes.
As long as that ISP is rocking a DHCP server (which of course they are).
>>
>>52127584
Why the hate on disconnected machines anon? Why would you do that to a box?? Just because it doesn't have a network connection to cry out about its abuse, is no reason to abuse it.
>>
>>52127820
>Netlimiter
Thanks m8
>>
>>52126979
Do you have any ideas for a full ATX case that is still small or easy to carry? Towers just won't work with my situation.
>>
I have been told that a specific collection of nudes from my location are to be found on the deep web.

Where do I start searching to find them?
>>
>>52128048
need more info, how do you know about the collection?
>>
>>52125197
I actually just realized there's a channel list. Mostly electronics, music, video games, and networking/IT. General discussion is what I'm looking for.
>>
>>52128092
I know about the collection through various sources: IRL friends and nudes threads from my country on /b/. it has been mentioned in local news once too.
>>
>>52128184
>IRL friends
have you tried asking them for a link?
>>
>>52127965
If I remember correctly Corsair towers had carry handles. How come you are carrying around your desktop anyway?
>>
>>52128199
also are they all 18+ and do you have a filename or any more info?
>>
>>52128199
they've tried asking me for a link. I'm the /g/ guy in my social scene after all.
>>
>>52128251
if they haven't seen it how do they know it exists? could it just be a rumor, I mean even if it made news it could be fake; do you have anything credible?

also have you tried tor search engines?

https://ahmia.fi/search/

http://hss3uro2hsxfogfq.onion/

http://xmh57jrzrnw6insl.onion/
>>
>>52128214
as stated in my earlier post, I have had bad luck with living situations for the past two years. This doesn't look like it will stop anytime soon. So I prefer something extremely portable and compact, hence the micro-atx.

I figured that micro-atx is the lesser sacrifice but offers a significant increase in portability were I to get one of those corsair cubish freaks.
>>
>>52128234
It's known as "Viborg mappen" - Viborg is a town. It has apparently expanded to include other parts of Denmark though.

The screenshots of folders I have seen are all of people that look 18+, but of course they're stolen nudes, so no age guarantee.

>>52128293
I assume though rumor. I'm guessing that if they have known someone who has it, they wouldn't ask me to find it.
I have tried some search engines, but none of those. I'll give it a shot.
>>
>>52128403
other than search engines my only guessing would be trying deep web chans and you might have better luck
>>
>>52128430
Which are there? I've heard of AnonChan
>>
>>52128440
just search chan on the tor search engines
>>
>>52128440
also since it could contain CP you should put it in an encrypted .zip and share it with something like onionshare(shares files through tor) and only share it with friends you trust last thing you want is someone going up to the girls and saying "hey anons sharing your nudes"
>>
>>52128524
>>52128570
Thanks for the help. Honestly, it probably doesn't exist though.
>>
File: steamy.gif (2 MB, 400x332) Image search: [Google]
steamy.gif
2 MB, 400x332
What's the 4chan browser of choice on Android? I saw the /g/ wiki lists 4 of them but what is your opinion on the best one?
>>
ZenFone 2 or iphone 6 16gb

Bought my girlfriend an iphone 6 plus and she wants to give me her iphone 6. I have never used an iphone but I had an ipod touch 2nd gen many years ago.
>>
>>52128097
Yeah, IRC channels have tended to service a very particular niche. It's sort of important that it worked that way; typically, the bigger the breadth of the topic, the more people there were talking, and you'd get fast-moving conversational bedlam with a terrible noise/signal ratio.

(Source: spent too much of my youth idling on IRC channels. The chat may have changed but I suspect the fundamental problem remains the same.)

I'm going to get flamed to fuck for this, and I know I deserve it, but... reddit deals with the issue of high volume general conversation at a humanly parsable pace better than IRC ever did, in my experience. Maybe it's different now, fuck if I know. I probably shouldn't be passing this off as advice.

tl;dr, uh, ignore me.
>>
am i retardced? how the fuck do you buy bitcoins online?

i've been to about 10 different websites and there's always some step that takes 5 days or requires live verification or some bullshit. i have very real money sitting in my bank account, which is linked to paypal and a debit card. how do i convert this money into BTC that i can use tonight?

thanks /g/ <3
>>
>>52129387
why do you want bitcoin? https://localbitcoins.com/buy_bitcoins
>>
>>52129410
to buy drugs on the internet. i've looked over most of the deals on that website, everyone requires a bunch of extra steps that take more than a day
>>
>>52129420
paypal isn't secure enough to buy bitcoin, if you're buying drugs pay for the bitcoin in cash

also how autistic are you that you can't just ring a dealer and pay in cash?
>>
>>52129420
>can't figure out how to buy cryptocurrency anonymously
>thinks he can manage to spend it anonymously without either getting stung, or taken
kek
>>
When will Flash be kill?
>>
>>52129440
a quarter of ketamine is $350 where i live, vs $300 for 10 grams on the internet

>>52129444
it's pretty straightforward to buy it anonymously/carefully, i'm asking how to buy it instantly on the internet
>>
>>52129491
if you buy it instantly you sacrifice privcay and increase risk, are you really that much of a junkie you can't wait a few days? seriously anon try to get your life together
>>
My microphone instantly shuts off whenever I open Audacity. It's as simple as just typing gnome-control-center and turning it back on, but it's tedious and annoying. How do I just stop it from happening?
>>
how the shit do i remove held broken packages from mint.

i tried the -edit -fix broken packages in sympatic package manager

and i went through this guide and got nothing
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/482

any ideas?
>>
>>52129558
sudo apt-get autoremove/autoclean?
>>
File: 1451441277485.png (145 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
1451441277485.png
145 KB, 1360x768
How do I get rid of the sidebar in pdf files?
>>
hey sqt,
i would like to do something on the order of
curl | pdftotext <stdin> - | less 

does pdftotext accept stdin?
is there a better way?
(obviously there is a better way seeing as this does not actually work)
>>
>>52124247
>is there a lightweight, preferably portable program to view gifs and webms that runs on windows [spoiler]xp[/spoiler]?
irfanview?
>>
>>52129601
**obviously i mean to curl <url>.pdf
>>
>>52129513
not buying keys here, no one's gonna set up a sting for $300 worth of a club drug

not tryna be a dick but the question wasn't "how do i safely buy & launder cryptocurrency"
>>
>>52129629
this is a technology board, no ones going to tell you how to buy drugs like a fuckwit you're going to be told how to do it securely, you should honestly try /b/ your questions more suited for that board
>>
>>52129629
also not tryin to be a dick but, we can answer/not answer your question however we please. it says very clearly in the header that you're not entitled to an answer
>>
>>52129601
try a subshell
pdftotext <(curl whatever) - | butts
>>
>>52129558
E: Invalid operation autoremove/autoclean

is the result.

also when i get into aptitude i shows i have 2 broken packages but i have no idea how to navigate the thing
>>
>>52129694
oops
>>
Posted last thread: I got a laptop with Win 7, thinking of putting this SSD in it, same size.

Q1: If I disk image from the old HDD to the new SSD with dd, will Windows have a freakout over thinking it's in a new computer or being pirated when I boot from the new drive?

Q2: Will the system restore partition still work?

Q3: If I resize the Win partition to be smaller and install Linux/grub on it, will the Windows partition still boot?
>>
>>52129718
kek

>>
File: 1424369317178.jpg (60 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1424369317178.jpg
60 KB, 500x667
Looking to get into app/web dev, what are the languages/stacks i should be looking at?
>>
File: moron.png (148 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
moron.png
148 KB, 1360x768
>>52129587
How is this even an issue? Look at all that green space you are wasting. Why for the love of god do you want to get rid of the scroll bar, that is actually containing useful information in contrast to all that green blank space?
>>
File: 1433715751111.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1433715751111.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
Office is transitioning to SSD's, so I have a shitton of 2.5" HDD's ranging from 500GB to 1TB. I want to create some RAID monstrosity, but I'm not sure of the most effective way of doing it, let alone what to do with it or what to store on them.

On creative or productive ideas?
>>
>>52129729
run it as two separate operations bruh
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get autoclean
>>
>>52129755
>How is this even an issue? Look at all that green space you are wasting.
I normally read my ebooks with the page size maximized. I just wanted my screenshot to be more visually appealing. I hate seeing the sidebar because when I read a book, I don't know wanna have unnecessary clues about how far I am into the book, or what act of the story arch I'm in.
>>
>>52129789
the commands run but doesnt do shit to solve my problem.

ive been using

sudo aptitude -f 

which says i have 2 broken packages but i have no fucking idea how to navigate the thing to fix it.
>>
>>52123947
What is the best browser to run unity on? Any browsers designed specifically for gaming?
>>
>>52129683
thank you, but i have attempted this...
pdftotext tells me that the input isnt a pdf file

perhaps im doing it wrong... perhaps pdftotext is not the best program in the world...
im inclined to doubt myself.
if youre actually getting a positive result let me know and ill just keep banging my head against the keyboard until something good happens
>>
>>52129450
It's pretty close.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/12/07/adobe_html5_flash_tools/

>>52129725
1/ No
2/ Yes, assuming you clone it correctly (any modern clone utility should be fine)
3/ Yes, but get ready for fun times
>>
>>52129829
>>52129789
for context im trying to install wine btw
>>
>>52129846
have you tried
sudo apt-get remove x
where x is the broken package?
>>
>>52129830
http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/12/15/updated-webgl-benchmark-results/
>>
I built my dad a new computer because his old one was shitting the bed and everything was fine, but he is really anal about it not having an antivirus. Any recommendations?
>>
>>52129947
MSE
>>
>>52129975
this
real time protection is all you need, and with a decent adblocker/popup blocker and if you're paranoid a script blocker, you gots nothin to fear m8
>>
>>52129879
i dont know what the broken package is called though. anyway to check?
>>
sigh. i removed the packages using aptitude but it's still not letting me install wine.
>>
Don't know how stupid this is, tried to google it but couldn't find a straigth answer.
My mobo broke and someone gifted me a MSI H81M-P33. This was a christmas gift and was a surprise, this person just walked to the store and asked for a budget mobo that supports an Intel i3, which is my current processor, but I'm starting to thing it would've been wiser to ask me first or perhaps look some info before buying it.
The thing is, I got the mobo and I decided to do some research before trying to install it (have to do it myself since asking someone else is expensive here) and found out this mobo has a 1150 socket while my Intel i3-3240 needs a 1155 socket. IRL they look like they could fit but I wouldn't want to screw things up so I decided to ask first. Would my processor fit and work on that mobo? would it damage something? is it viable?
>>
>>52130124
It is def not viable and do not try it please. They're different for a reason.
>>
>>52130118
how are you going about it? also why not just use playonlinux?
>>
>>52130124
>Would my processor fit and work on that mobo?
fuck no

>would it damage something?
It will short and destroy both the board and the CPU
>>
>>52130124
How did you manage to build a computer without knowing basic shit like this?
>>
>>52130146
i guess ill just try that. there's really only one game and all the guide i read go through wine. but since but since its letting me dl ill take it. thanks anon
>>
>>52124016
It's not opening a webpage you dip it's sourcing a script.
>>
File: 1451087665332.jpg (152 KB, 419x419) Image search: [Google]
1451087665332.jpg
152 KB, 419x419
My middle mouse button (Scroll wheel) has stopped being able to click in WIndows. I used to be able to click it and it'd open a new tab on any link or close any tab when I hovered over a tab. Also allowed easier scrolling for me... this only recently stopped working, have tried it on 4 different mice, so it's a Windows problem. Any ideas?
>>
>>52130308
>call me a dip
where you at bruh, I'll fite you irl
>>
File: 1441337570426.jpg (206 KB, 1242x1080) Image search: [Google]
1441337570426.jpg
206 KB, 1242x1080
>>52126254
The first one is source film maker, the second one is who knows what the fuck that is.
Either way, a simple video "editing" program will not let you move shit around R^3 like that unless it's after effects or something.
>>
File: 1444519185838.jpg (122 KB, 425x516) Image search: [Google]
1444519185838.jpg
122 KB, 425x516
>>52126469
You want the AHCI controller you dingus.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.