[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning how to code.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3
File: Java.png (311 KB, 1016x843) Image search: [Google]
Java.png
311 KB, 1016x843
Where did you guys learn how to code? I've been lurking on /g/ for sometime and I am very interested in coding, Java- specifically, and maybe C or Python. I've signed up for some classes on Udemy and made an account on Codeacademy, but I have a gut feeling those two are meme-tier teaching places.

Can anyone also tell me the differences between the various programming languages and what they're used for? Which are shitty languages, which ones I should learn first, etc.
>>
>>52122128
>Java
Kek, learn a real language, learn haskell.
>>
c for dummies all in one desk reference
>>
>>52122195
Will look into it, mind telling me what Haskell is useful for?
>>
>>52122157
Bump.
>>
kek just open notepad and code u faggot
>>
>>52122251
Alright then, but what language should I code with?
>>
>>52122195

>haskell

Don't learn haskell, purely academic language.

What do you want to do OP?

Java is the most used language in business. C is used in operating systems and other lower level stuff. Python is a higher level language, its good for making quick prototypes, you can also do some web stuff with it with django or flask.
>>
>>52122128
What do you want to build? Choosing a language is entirely based on what you want to make.

You can build anything in C++, but you will never finish anything in C++, because the whole platform and anything that touches it directly is garbage.
>>
>>52122287
>>52122303

I Honestly do not know what I want to make, as I am entirely new to programming. Just want to know -what- the various languages can make and what they're used for is all.
>>
>>52122344
There's a metric fuckton of them and they're all stupid in one way or another.

For someone like you, Haskell is the best choice. Either you'll successfully learn it, and every other language will be a piece of cake; or you're fail and give up programming forever, which is probably what you should do anyways.
>>
>>52122443
Will keep that in mind.
>>
>>52122128

>but I have a gut feeling those two are meme-tier teaching places

Yep. Buy a book and start reading. Start your own project.

>Which are shitty languages

JS; PHP and JAVA (but just a little)

>which ones I should learn first

C if you want to learn how to program in general and how the computer actually work.
JAVA, Swift, C# if you want to make money fast.
>>
>>52122217
>mind telling me what Haskell is useful fo

Haskell is functional meme. No one is using it. Learn C.
>>
Books. The documentation on the website, and practice.
>>
>>52122500
xmonad says hi
>>
Clojure, faggot.
>>
>>52122128
Go to fucking college, noob
>>
>>52122797
>implying Xmonad isn't a meme.
>>
>>52122500
>>52122287
Speak for yourselves, code monkeys.
>>
>>52123164
Did I hit a nerve you i3 meme loving fag?
>>
>>52123164
Did I hit a nerve you i3 loving meme fag?
>>
>>52122217
Haskell is a functional programming language. A reason to learn it would be to learn logic or to write a compiler. It has many useful features in that regard, the most important being pattern matching.

C/Python are imperative languages with the former being compiled (into a bytecode specific for the platform) and the latter being "interpreted," which means a computer reads the code the same way you do every time you run the program (although typical implementations do compile your code). Both of these languages (using python as the example), allow the modification of "state":

a = 4
a += 1
print(a)

This would not be done this way in a purely functional programming language, because `a` is maintaining state.
>>
>>52123429

>C
>bytecode

C is being compiled in machine code lad. JAVA is the one compiled in bytecode.
>>
File: babbies first java.jpg (18 KB, 260x320) Image search: [Google]
babbies first java.jpg
18 KB, 260x320
>>52122128

if you wanna learn java, try pic related. combined with Head First Java a pretty good start.
>>
>>52123595
Head first java is easy to get into and a good choice. It's full of jokes and explains a lot of background/theory along the way.

Java is fairly simple, easy to read, makes sense as a first language and is used widely plus cross platform.

Don't listen to most of these people, and if not java, at least pick another OOP language to start with.

Ultimately language choice isn't that important, and once you program a lot you will swap to suite your needs. Going in with something needlessly difficult or niche will just put you off.

Plus java has a silly amount of online help
>>
Anyone can post that image saying ”java, an abstract type of bean”
>>
>>52122213
hey, me too
>>
Just google "short <language> tutorial" and look at it
>>
>>52122128
Learn the basics of C first, and then continue to babby languages like Java. Believe me it's worth it. Also, when you start Java, look up the basics of OOP, because it's very important.

If you're not retarded you'll be able to make simple programs, and even GUI in less than a year.
>>
>>52123219
no not really. but you're pretty delusional if you think someone didn't intentionally write it in Haskell to prove a point or show off.
>>
>>52122195
Haskell leads to lisp.
>>
File: 1449437102323.png (37 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1449437102323.png
37 KB, 225x225
>>52122128
>the differences between the various programming languages
if you are just starting thats the least of your problems right now

just choose some scripting language and learn it. Its really irrelevant which you choose

Youll give up soon after youll learn the syntax anyway
>>
>>52122128
www.udacity.com, nigger. Free great individual courses including java. Udemy and Codeacademy are shit-tier.
>>
>>52122128
>Where did you guys learn how to code?
Online tutorials. More specifically, FVirtman's tutorials (frenchfag here).

God those tutorials were good. I wonder if they still exist.
>>
>>52122272
kek just open notepad and get to it kid

make me a decent web browser since firefox is sjw'd and chrome is a botnet
>>
>>52122128
install gentoo
>>
>>52122128

Learning to program is harder than it seems to those that are already professionals.

I thought it was a braindead job until I tried to explain it to a friend the other day, a friend that is an engineer from another major and took a couple classes of programming, and still, holy fuck, theres so much shit i take for granted and laymen dont know.

So that being said I have no idea how you can start on your own, I always had teachers. Maybe you should consider college if your personal circumstances allow it, since in college you learn so much more than just using programming languages.
>>
Daily reminder that the act of writing code is called programming, not coding.
>>
>>52127147
just programming sounds kinda dumb too, supposedly it's computer programming
>>
>>52127147
what about writing HTML?
>>
>>52122128
java is LITERALLY jew owned just sayin'
>>
>>52127194
like with XML it's just a markup language and not programming
>>
>>52127232
>>52127232
but its coding you faget
>>
>>52127243
well i guess so "faget"
>>
>>52127147
but #girlscanprogram doesn't sound as good as #girlscancode
>>
here anon:
http://carlcheo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/which-programming-language-should-i-learn-first-infographic.png
>>
>>52127418
Delet this
>>
>>52127418
this is dumb and skewed towards python tbqh

it should be START -> Java
>>
I want to learn some programming too and something about networks but I'm a total noob in it, so I might need some help and some partners though
>>
>>52127753
Kill yourself. Pajeet and dickshit are going to have all the tech jobs
>>
>>52122128
i started reading and writing code instead of shitposting on /g/

if you program everyday for 2 years you'll be an okay programmer. if you program everyday for 10 years you'll be a good programer.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.