[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Building a PC for a nephew, is this okay? [spoiler]he said he
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: PC Build.png (104 KB, 1725x738) Image search: [Google]
PC Build.png
104 KB, 1725x738
Building a PC for a nephew, is this okay?

[spoiler]he said he wanted a gaming laptop but I convinced him otherwise. he just wants to play garry's mod[/spoiler]
>>
>>52111296
If it's just for gMod. Get an FX-6300 and save yourself some money.

Grab an optical drive from a PC down the skip.

RAM too maybe. If the gypses haven't got to them yet.
>>
Get cheaper FX 6300 and motherboard.

Upgrade the GPU from 250X to something like 280X or 380/X.
>>
>>52111356
>>52111397
I was thinking about an i3 instead but asked if he wanted a PC that lasts a few years and went for the 4690.

250x is because it's my old card, so it's free.
>>
>>52111356
>>52111397
(also, I used to have a FX6300 but I threw it out because of heat problems)
>>
looks good, but i'd add a slightly better psu. that way it's a decent pc with just gpu to change, if he ever gets into more serious pc gaming.

maybe 2 sticks of ram for dualchannel, but can always add another 8 gb stick...
>>
>>52111412
I doubt he'll be playing Crysis 3 on ultra any time soon.

But ultimately, it's how much money you're comfortable spending.
Being that you've put this list together, I would judge this to be your comfort zone, and in that zone, you've done the best you can.

An i3 will hold up as well as any i5 in older single threaded games. But i3s only mostly being dual cores aren't worth their toffee in newer AAA titles. So I would advise against the i3.

Just see if there's any more parts you can salvage.
I would assume you already have an old case lying around that you intend to use?
>>
>>52111455
Now. You see, if you're going to try to impersonate someone. Use proper grammar, as OP has in his previous posts.
>>
File: asd.png (57 KB, 1457x516) Image search: [Google]
asd.png
57 KB, 1457x516
>>52111455
You dumb m8?

>http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/w3C4xr
Here.
The board/cpu can OC up too.
>>
>>52111522
That actually was me. It ran over 100C because I'm an idiot and wiped the paste off.

>>52111492
He's paying for it himself, and £400 is his budget. I don't have a spare case but the one he picked wasn't listed.

>>52111487
>PSU
Mine actually runs fine with 500W / 4690 / 16GB RAM / GTX 970. I guess I could get a 600W if really necessary.
>>
>>52111643
>That actually was me
Then why post it if not for the sake of shitposting?
You were an idiot to throw it out.
You were an idiot to admit that you threw it out.
You've not helped your case by admitting to the fact that it ran hot because it had no thermal paste due to the fact that you had wiped it away.

But back to the actual thread. If that is indeed his budget, then try to save while not sacrificing too much power.
Drop the Overclockable CPU. Giving a young person that option is not going to end well. It will also drop the cost.

Same with the motherboard.

RAM you can find cheaper. Just ignore the fancy plastic and you save £10.
>>
>>52111296
Nice. Make sure he gets good monitor, headphones, kb and mouse. That's what will really make him appreciate the desktop experience.

Go with Seasonic G-series instead of Corsair CX.
>>
>>52111762
This probably won't go down well, but I'm just getting a HDMI cable to plug into his TV.
>>
>>52111787
1080p sucks, and TVs are sub-par monitors. Take a look at craigslist and ebay. I picked up my 30" 2560x1600 for less than $200.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.