[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've developed an algorithm for creating passwords that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: unnamed.png (84 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
84 KB, 300x300
I've developed an algorithm for creating passwords that I know by heart and have applied to over 100 accounts all over the place. Recently, I've been thinking that a password manager is more scalable and safe than my brain. Should I adopt one /g/? Are you using one yourself?
>>
No, I'm not, albeit I've been thinking about it for some time now. Guess I'll give it a shot, but not sure about the best alternative. Sorry I can't be of help, and thanks (even if it was not your intention, and it sure wasn't) for posting this thread. It can be of help for me as well. At least I hope it does (still, we better be prepared for the worst, considering that no one posted in this very thread yet (besides me and, of course, you, the OP)).
>>
No. I have a system based on a combination of attributes from the site's homepage that can only get tripped up when they redesign every few years. Password managers are the easy way out and I still don't trust them as it creates a single point of failure.
>>
Scalable, yes.
Safer, no.

I use 1Password since I'm a pleb who enjoys the convenience, but I have no illusions of safety.
>>
>>52109040
>using one password to protect all of your passwords
wat
>>
>>52109352
You can remember a really secure password more easily than you can remember a bunch of secure passwords.
>>
>>52109040
Yes, you should be using one.
>>
>>52109393
i use 2 factor SMS authentication with my security necessary stuff.
>>
OP, please share you algorithm. Will r8.
>>
I literally just set up a system to store my passwords on my own server because I hate the idea of storing them on someone else's.

Here's what I did:
KeePass 2 with Master Key and OTP
Yubikey Neo for OTP 2nd factor security
Owncloud to sync the password database and OTP XML file between systems.
Keepass2Android to use the DB on mobile.
>>
password: (service type [financial, shopping, forum])+(some classic string that says "password" to you)+(name of service)
nobody is going to figure out your password to other services just by looking at it
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.