[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux sucks There is no way I could imagine myself not using
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7
File: promise_ex16350.jpg (54 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
promise_ex16350.jpg
54 KB, 500x375
Linux sucks

There is no way I could imagine myself not using Windows

>corporative programs
>programming
>messing around in the internet
>youtube, flash, gaming, etc

I do find linux useful in some places, but I find it hard to belive that it will ever replace windows

so TL;DR
Linux isn't better or worse than Windows, it is just different, and it shall be used in special cases
>>
File: 006435.jpg (57 KB, 400x348) Image search: [Google]
006435.jpg
57 KB, 400x348
>>52096104
>>
nice blog post
>>
>>52096104
I too play lots of video games on my computer, OP.
>>
What point are you trying to make here retard

This isn't your blog, go back to reddit
>>
>>52096104

>Linux sucks
>Linux isn't better or worse

It's ok, honey. Not all of us are smart enough to figure it out. Windows is fine for you :)
>>
>>52096104
nice homo card you got here, homo
>>
Maybe....

Gaming might not stand as a good reason to use Windows in the future. Valve is making a Steam OS, if IIRC is built on Linux kernel, and even porting their own games to GNU/Linux distros.

Programming? Considering how Linux was built on choice, you can switch over from distros like Arch, Gentoo, and Slackware to Elementary OS, Ubuntu, or Mint. You don't have to be top-notch C/Lisp/Python/XXX-Lang programmer to use Linux. There are distros that take that "mess".

And it does stop there, there's many distros people can use. Hell, some people even make their own OS!

Messing around the internet can easily be done on Linux. Youtube doesn't just magically stop working on Linux just because it's Linux. Flash......I believe Flash is dead, even Adobe said themselevs to stop using Flash for things like youtube and what not. So, Flash should be gone. Pepperflash (chrome's flavor of flash) should help if you really need it.
>>
>>52096104
What makes you think Linux doesn't have flash or youtube?
>>
really the only thing I miss when I'm DDing a unix systems is steam chat, office and photoshop, having spotify on solaris would be nice too, I also just simply like the feel of Windows better, and the ability to use practically anything I'll ever want for any purpose on my system
>>
>>52096104
>Implying somebody gives a shit about you.
>>
>>52096104
>Linux isn't better or worse than Windows, it is just different, and it shall be used in special cases
yeah, like when you care about your freedom.

also
>corporative
>>
>>52099563
>muh freedom maymay
Enjoy be slave of the FSF legalese.
>>
>>52099595
>implying i care about licenses
i don't follow their weird scriptures. FSF can't do shit.
>>
>>52096104
>corporative
>a word

>programming on windows
Leave

>implying linux doesn't have webrowsers

Do you think linux is all command line and that it lacks IDEs and whatnot?

This is b8, it has to be
>>
>>52096104
FUCLKING DELETE THIS THREAD YOU GIGANTIC FAGGOT.
WE DONT GIVE TWO RATS ARSES ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT LINUX,THOSE WHO WANT TO USE LINUX WILL USE IT AND OTHERS WONT.
WHY ARE YOU BUTTHURT YOU UNDERAGE FAGGOT,WHY DO YOU GIVE A FLYING FUCK?!
DELETE THIS AND KILL YOURSELF.

>INB4 LE TRICKY HOOK MAYMAY
>>
>>52096104
Linux is better than windows in every way except gaymen, you idiot.
>>
>>52096104
>There's corporative programmes for GNU/Linux and Linux
>You can program on GNU/Linux and Linux
>You can shitpost on the internet on GNU/Linux and Linux
>You can play YouTube videos (both Flash and HTML5) on GNU/Linux and Linux
>You can use flash plugins, view flash animations, and the likes on GNU/Linux and Linux
>You can play games on GNU/Linux and Linux

???????
>>
>>52099709
And power management.
And maintenance in desktop
And graphics (KEK, X11 in 2015)
And UI
And documentation.
And a big etc.
>>
>>52096104
10 rupees onto your account Pajeet.
>>
>>52097648
There are other game providers, not just steam.
Need VS for C# too.
Battery sucks on my laptop.
But still, i wish windows is as lightweight as arch.
>>
>>52099992
>windows
>gud documentation being a thing

>grafix / UI
>kde trumps all, having the majority of programs automaticly match themselves to your theme is awesome

>maintenance
are you implying windows breaks less than linux?

>power management
Dont use laptops much, cant speak for either side
>>
Stop with the memes please. Linux does not suck, it's just not for you. It's a highly configurable operating system used by people who want a secure, open source, Unix compliant system that they have full control over. Gaming and pc gaming exists but it's abysmal because it's nowhere near anything Linux was made for. That's the only issue with Linux.

I installed arch as baby's first distros about a month ago. I need windows for gaming and have been procrastinating installing it again because Linux is comfy in how much I can configure it. It's truly powerful.

Inb4 arch user talking about power users. Fuck off anti shill.
>>
>>52099992
Considering graphics and UI isn't tied to one DE or protocol this is false. Windows can't even talk with no tabs in its file explorer and handling fonts in kernel space. And lets not get into the inconsistent context menus of 10.
>>
>>52100174
But Linux isn't an operating system. It never was!
>>
>>52100259
>muh
>>
Daily reminder that every GNU app is very easy to recreate where as a kernel with hardware support and design like Linux is hard to come by, GNU is irrelevant
>>
>>52096104
What a retarded blogpost. Stop shitposting, dumb faggot.
>>
>>52100328
>Daily reminder that every GNU app is very easy to recreate
It's not.
>>
>>52096104
>programming
>messing around in the internet
Yeah I hate how you can't do these things on linux. Go windows!
>>
>>52100328
Go recreate the GNU Compiler Collection, GNU Debugger and the GNU Chainloader aka grub then, faglord.
>>
>>52100348
but it is, and even if that was the case there are already viable replacements.
>>
>>52100360
Wait, you're telling me there is more to gnu than just coreutils?
>>
>>52100360
>What is Clang, icc debugger, syslinux / burg
tech illiterate people make me laugh.
>>
>>52100174
I game alot, and run Ableton and other programs quite abit, which is what puts me off Linux. So software devs and companies still aren't releasing good Linux versions? Care to shed some light abit?
>>
>>52100399
GCC is much more than just C/C++ compiler.
tech illiterate people make me laugh.
>>
>>52100411
The LLVM/Clang suite has the same feature set as GCC. Ignorant children make me laugh.
>>
>>52100424
nope.jpg
>>
>>52100406
There are many "good" Linux distributions out there. Keeping in mind that Linux is the kernel of which a distros is based on, of course.

You must remember that it is solely up to the company that develops the software to make a stable Linux release. If you wanted ableton on Linux you would need to have ableton themselves release it on Linux, not a Linux developer. Or you can run it in wine. Windows works pretty great in a virtual box and it's very easy to set up.

I'm sure there is a decent equivalent open source freeware to ableton. As good? Probably not. Open source software is almost never as good as proprietary.

Do you have to make compromises? Yes. Many people make these compromises because safety, security, control, and configuration are very important to them ND these are things that Windows and Mac so not offer. So to not use top of the line software is an easy compromise.

Just run Linux in a virtual box or try a dual boot. You could always throw a distro on an old laptop. You'll never use your laptop for production or anything demanding. Laptops are great for Linux on the go IMO.
>>
>>52100445
>can't refute
well at least you realized you are wrong.
>>
>enterprise software
WINE +LibreOffice

>Browsing the internet
chromium-browser/firefox

>YouTube
Your joking right? YouTube works out of the box on all major distro's

>Flash

peperflashplayerplugin-nonfree

>gaming
"muh games"
seriously, you can use wine or a windon't partition for this
>>
>linux sucks
>tl;dr linux is just different not better or worse

way to contradict yourself

I would use linux if I could use some adobe tools in there. Because dual booting for gaming is something I've done before without trouble, but it's more of a chore when you actually need something else than just games. And because I feel that linux covers everything else that I need.

It is just a shame for adobe really, they could support linux. But I suppose the only way to create a "bridge" between the two is hackintosh and I have trouble like it, such as not being able to reboot or power down, or use better scaling on a 2560x1080 screen. Or having to hunt that lan driver down.
>>
>>52100501
Clang can't compile Fortran, Ada and Go.
Also, it's far from "easy recreation" and GCC is still ahead.
>>
>programming
>winderps

>flash
>oh boy i sure love 0day exploits

Only valid reasons for running Windows:
- retarded IT guys can only run a windows shop.
- you actually have software that provides functionality that cannot be replaced using linux, or in a more modern context, cannot run in the browser.
- you want to play video games.

>os x mustard rice :)
>>
Linux is for neckbeards that want to be special snowflakes for using broken shit.
>>
>>52100542
There are compilers in the llvm suite for those, and clang was created in the matter of weeks, also it beats gcc in certain benchmarks, you tried.
>>
>>52100522
>way to contradict yourself
Actually he doesn't
Both linux and windows suck
>>
>>52100561
>created in the matter of weeks
matured in the matter of years
LLVM matured in the matter of years too, so it's not "easy recreation". If you think you can easily write a C++ compiler, you are retarded.

>certain benchmarks
yeah certain.

I am still trying.
>>
>Linux
>on desktop
enjoy your botnet
>>
File: tipsfedora.jpg (116 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
tipsfedora.jpg
116 KB, 1252x1252
>I use free software
>>
>>52100399
>easy to recreate
>use projects that have been made by others spending years of their time
Pick one faggot
>>
>>52100561
>clang was created in the matter of weeks
Are you high?

Clang is literally 10 years old, and first release 7 years ago
>>
>>52100604
but linux is good for server
>>
>>52100561
>certain benchmarks
The keyword here is certain.

Compiler benchmarks are worth shit as they are only made for marketing reasons. Show me a fair comparative study. It's not even possible to do with icc, because of license issues and not being open source.
>>
>>52100666
Exactly and that's where it should stay.
>>
>>52096149
it's tech related and relevant to this board therefore it belongs here you fucking retard
>>
>>52100671
Fuck off, retard. GNU/Linux is much better and confier than windows will ever be.
>>
File: tipsfedoracringe.jpg (24 KB, 480x600) Image search: [Google]
tipsfedoracringe.jpg
24 KB, 480x600
>>52100684
>GNU/Linux
>>
>>52100682
The vibrating dildo inside your ass is tech related too, doesn't mean you should blog about your sensations.
>>
File: TaTdV.gif (2 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
TaTdV.gif
2 MB, 200x150
>>52100684
>this is what freetards truly believe
>>
>>52100715
>believe
I tried both.
>>
>>52100722
gj on your glorified anime box :^)
>>
>>52099352
You can login in the steam chat through its website or via a plugin in Pidgin.
>>
>>52100738
I am doing programming on my Linux box. Programming on windows is hell.

But it's a fine toy for gayman children like you.
>>
File: foxgrapes.jpg (234 KB, 688x1434) Image search: [Google]
foxgrapes.jpg
234 KB, 688x1434
>>52100763
>But it's a fine toy for gayman children like you.
>>
>>52100775
I bet that font rendering is done on windows.
>>
>>52100817
>doesn't know about mactype
>>
>>52100862
>A brand new product which turns your windows into a Mac!
wow man, just wow. Does it spawn shit in your hands?
>>
>>52100877
Couldn't the same be said of infinality?
>>
>Linux
>made by losers for losers
>>
>>52100898
that statement was in mactype's repo.
>>
>>52100909
So? Couldn't the same be said of infinality?
>>
>>52100949
No. Because font rendering isn't mac's invention.
>>
>>52100700
Kek
>>
>>52100958
How is it mac's invention?

mactype has multiple presets aside from OSX, and infinality has OSX presets. You can create your own in both. mactype merely advertises itself with "we make your font rendering look like mac" while having presets that are better.
>>
>>52100993
>mactype merely advertises itself with "we make your font rendering look like mac"
nuff said.
>>
If i could pirate and play games on linux as easily as i can on windows, i would switch in a heartbeat.
>>
>>52100739
or just install linux steam?
>>
>>52100458
Yeah no doubt, i know enough commands to get myself around Linux, and am keen on learning alot more. Aswell as automating alot of my computer tasks, and i like the idea of customising and knowing almost every inch of my OS. Just a shame the vendors all support Windows/Mac.
Have spun up some VM's before, laptop is currently on Win10, which is aight, but do want to either have it dual boot or just be completely formatted to Ubuntu or a similar OS, which brings me to another question, best Linux OS's for what i've described above?
Mint is apparently not bad so i've heard also Fedora / ubuntu is normally the go, right?
>>
>>52101393
Ubuntu has the Amazon botnet. It can certainly be removed and whatnot unless you don't mind it. But Ubuntu and fedora are my favorite distros that are ready to go out of the box. Ubuntu being a little more friendly.

If you have a desktop, use that for Windows and use Linux for laptop. If you only have a laptop then dual boot. Simple.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.