[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have ever used one of your older GPU as a dedicated PhysX card?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: nvslidebang5.jpg (123 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
nvslidebang5.jpg
123 KB, 500x280
Have ever used one of your older GPU as a dedicated PhysX card?

Describe your experience.
Using poetry.
>>
No because that's fucking stupid.
>>
>>52092728
Would it not be a good way to use your previous GPU after upgrading?
>>
I may or may not have done this before.
But who am I to confuse you?
Truth be told, it may not be worth it.
Take your time, take it easy.
Forever, am I sleepy.
>>
It can probably boost it 30%
Your electric bill, I mean
It wont do shit otherwise
>>
>>52092705
i upgraded from 280 to 770

thought of keeping 280 as physx card

turns out lone 770 works better

the violets are the darkest hue of blue
>>
>>52092705
Not since the fire times
Has this method been needed
Not since the fermi
>>
Can I use my iGPU for that?
>>
>>52092705
Unless you have spare 16x lanes, that shit is literally pants on head retarded. Most consumer mother boards only come with one full 16x PCIe slot.
>>
It would be a realistic thing to want to do if games would use physics in a lot more things. I wish it would be all over aspects of games, but sadly consoles hold that back from happening.

Turns out since so little physics is used in games, it's actually slower to send off the data to be computed on an outside card and then wait for the results than to just process it itself a little slower.
>>
>>52092926
Poorfags combined with tech-illiterate ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>52092906
Don't think so, your cpu and gpu are already 'communicating', adding your igpu to the 'communication' should actually result in less performance.
>>
>>52092985
Post your mobo and get judged
>>
>>52092705
hybrid phsyx fun
nvidia has meltdown
now no more fun times

Thanks nVidia for killing hybrid physx, you could have had me as a customer for dedicated gpus for physics, instead due to your arrogance you get none of my money.
>>
>>52093038
X99-UD4P also X79-UP4.
>>
>>52093038
X8DAi
D5400XS
n4250QE
n6650W
780i SLI
>>
>>52092705
there's an actual fps benefit to using a dedicated card, so why not?
>>
>>52092876
This made me genuinely laugh
>>
>>52092705
Can I assume that you can still use the second card to attach additional monitors to?
You don't need a lot of power for PhysX, it could be a good solution to have a good graphics card driving your main monitor then have secondary monitors on a weaker card doing PhysX.
>>
>>52093050
Why did they kill hybrid physx?
I wanted to get a gt 640 for physx alongside my hd 7970 but they fucked that up for me.

They could have made more money that way by at least selling low end GPUs to people who were still on AMD
>>
>>52095277
>Why did they kill hybrid physx?
Greed.

>They could have made more money that way by at least selling low end GPUs to people who were still on AMD
I know, shitsux.
>>
>>52092705
So one day out of the blue
I slot in a spare nvidia GPU
until shit blew
Oh no, I need a better PSU
Then it was emulated on CPU
oh how time flew

AMD don't poo in the loo
If only they had a clue
perhaps one day they can into dedicated fizziks too
>>
>>52092756
vt-d/x+kvm for virtual machines would be a better way to repurpose an old gpu
not as if a gamer faggot like you would know about that, though
>>
>>52095360
What games would even take advantage of that?
>>
>>52096348
Any software/game that can use hardware physx.

I played through Bamham Asylum with hybrid physx a long time ago.
>Radeon 4870+Geforce9600GT
>>
File: epic meme m8.gif (1 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
epic meme m8.gif
1 MB, 480x270
>>52092876
Kek, well said.
>>
>>52095500
>perhaps one day they can into dedicated fizziks too
Do you not know why AMD can't into PhysX? Because it's a proprietary nvidia technology.
You used to be able to run AMD/Nvidia cards and use the nvidia one as a dedicated physx card. You know what happened to that? Nvidia changed the software to make it impossible.

If AMD did anything with physX they'd be sued by nvidia.

So they did TressFX, and no-one used it because AMD wasn't paying out bribes.
>>
>>52092896
I really hope that
is not a haiku attempt
you should try again
>>
>>52096601
mabey they should stop trying to be ethical and just sell their company to intel and give nvidia their x86 licence. More competition, until Intel dominates all that is.

I'd like to see if nvidia can outjew intel
>>
>>52096601
>no-one used it because AMD wasn't paying out bribes

there's the problem, playing the bitch victim card instead of actually trying to compete in the business.
>>
>>52097960
Nvidia outjewing intel, that'd be nice to see actually. If gpu performance only went up by 5% each year, like cpu performance, a high end gpu could last 5 years, just like a cpu. But as that would actually not make nvidia more money, intel probably makes more profit by selling hardware to labs and universities where they build supercomputers and servers, and they keep getting money from that by improving thermals and efficiency, which are a lot more important when used in supercomputers and servers.
>>
>>52092891
Do you mean a gtx 280?
>>
>>52098163
Bribes are against the law, idiot.
Boo hoo AMD should have broken various anti-trust regulations to stay competitive
>>
>>52092705
If you old GPU is still relevant enough to keep up with your new GPU in PhysX, you're better off selling it and spending the extra cash on the next faster model.
The only time this works out in your favour is if you, for example, get a 980 Ti, and use a 970 as a PhysX card with it.
>>
File: physxonradeon.jpg (220 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
physxonradeon.jpg
220 KB, 1680x1050
Someone once made a PhysX-to-OpenCL wrapper that was so far looking pretty fast and seamless, but Nvidia bought him out before he actually made a public release, and no one ever tried to recreate it again
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbww3dhzK0M

Use too old a card and you just bottleneck yourself
>>
>>52101196
What a faggot. I wonder if it's legal nowadays to create a FOSS software that does that kind of thing.
>>
>>52092781
Sick rhymes ese.
>>
>>52092781
>This guy did what OP said and didn't even get a response
>>
>>52096146
nicely put
>>
>>52101702
But that was meanly put :(
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.