[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What became of Unlimited Detail? Have they run of scam-dorraroos yet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: 3.jpg (68 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
68 KB, 640x360
What became of Unlimited Detail?

Have they run of scam-dorraroos yet?
>>
Yes, when are we getting the voxel technology we were promised?
>>
File: 2015-12-19.png (297 KB, 966x701) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-19.png
297 KB, 966x701
>>52089221
That shit was never gonna happen from the get go.
>>
It still exists. It's just not as good as they were hyping it up to be. They're apparently not going to get involved in the consumer sector just yet.

>>52089336
There are already voxel rendering engines out there. They're just not what you think they are, and have performance and resolution limits. Most games wouldn't be able to use them to a good effect yet. However, they could be quite good for some game art styles. Voxelnauts might be an example where they utilize it to a good aesthetic.
>>
>>52089221

They're still a thing? It's been about 6 years that they've been hyping this, right?
>>
>>52089475
They haven't actually been hyping it up that much. They haven't released that many videos since those first ones.
>>
>>52089221
their grant from the AU government ran out
>>
They're still working on those game demos that they promised.
>>
OP look up Geoverse and Solidscan.
It's what they've been working on and is already being sold to companies who are interested.
>>
>>52089336
This is a cloud point technology, not a volumetric pixel technology.
>>
>>52089221
It failed because it can't do beyond static scenes.
>>
Will the new Doom have voxels?

iirc id tech 6 was supposed to feature that sort of stuff.
>>
File: 1448861056954.jpg (40 KB, 342x500) Image search: [Google]
1448861056954.jpg
40 KB, 342x500
>>52089364
>>
>>52089221

I tried the demo some anons posted months ago, it looked ok.
Still useless if they are not going to do anything with it.
>>
>>52090526
>two colours
>I'll save it as JPEG
Wat
>>
>>52089336
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjvYIV4B5jg
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD6CStvkXQQ

Here is where they are now.
>>
>>52092790
The real thing is much better than that. He's running a demo over the Internet and the data source has to process many gigabytes of data to figure out what to send to him. If he had the data locally, it would have been much faster.
>>
>>52092790
what the fuck was that sound
>>
>>52093832
>he doesn't remember watching videos/listening to music over the internet on dialup
>>
>>52089865
Why can't they do a hybrid of polygons and that stuff?
All moving objects are polygons and strategic objects aren't.
Wouldn't it free up resources for more polygons in models?
>>
>>52089221
Voxel rendering always seemed to me like it would be horribly annoying to work with in every possible sense. Even if it this "unlimited detail" shit worked I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.
>>
File: 1450738944005.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1450738944005.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
These devs are doing far more interesting graphics work than the Unlimited Detail guys imo. Their engine actually works with games.
>>
>>52095677
Is that Dreams? Certainly very cool. Looking forward to trying it with PSVR.
>>
>>52095677
I think I found the talk that picture's from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9KNtnCZDMI
>>
>>52093832
>>52093986
That's totally a weird remix of Down With The Sickness
>>
>>52095799
Shit, that was amazing, even though I understood maybe a quarter of the more mathematical details. People really should do more experimental stuff with different rending methods.
>>
>>52096226
They should, but it's too hard to do when polygons work just fine for pretty much everything. Media Molecule goes above and beyond to create something beautiful though, which makes this project all the more impressive.
>>
>>52096287
I wonder if those rendering methods would even be implementable on an engine like Unreal. Like, it could even be a completely split off version of Unreal. Would that be possible? It seems like such a compelling style of rendering that wouldn't be easily mimicked by polygons ever.
>>
>>52096433
I heard rumors that you would be able to export dream scenes/models to Unity
>>
>>52096433
I don't think it's possible but it's basically a game engine in itself,supposedly in the final product you'll be able to implement logic and make music within the game. I'm pretty sure >>52096465 is true as well, they mentioned it in a video or tweet somewhere.
>>
>>52089221
It's great for static scenes but problems arise with animation, particles, etc. Point and click adventures, maybe?
>>
>>52096465
>>52096540
I heard you'd be able to export those models as well, but you'd lose all the benefits in the art and lighting effects you get from that render which was the main attraction of it. Optimally you'd just use their engine, but it might not be as fully featured as a dedicated engine like Unity or Unreal. Did they ever say their game/engine would be on PC as well?
>>
>>52096599
It's PS4 only afaik, but I can still imagine a full length game being made with it.
>>
>>52096747
I wonder how that's going to work. Like, will it be restricted to all free, or will they have user paid content and perhaps a market for that? Or perhaps they're open to licensing? It'll be cool to see all the free user generated stuff though, and hopefully their UI for navigating all of them isn't too bad. Perhaps you could even do it on a browser. Or someone could make a site where you can download files to be loaded into the game/engine.

Optimally I'd like to have it on the PC as well, where I can use it with the Oculus Rift or HTC Vive.

This kind of reminds me of Voxelnauts where it's like both an engine and a game, and it uses "voxels," but not the same kind. Also it has VR which I'm interested in.
>>
>>52096860
Dreams already supports downloading other player content, i'm assuming everything will be free since they seem really keen on the idea of sharing content. I'm interested in seeing what the final product will look like, but I doubt it'll come to PC since there's most likely optimization challenges with the variety of PC hardware out there.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.