[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I the only one who thinks 8.1 is the better version of windows?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: images (4).jpg (17 KB, 506x291) Image search: [Google]
images (4).jpg
17 KB, 506x291
Am I the only one who thinks 8.1 is the better version of windows? Should I embrace the botnet and install 10 for a few fps more on my gaymuhs?
>>
>>52087427
Why would win10 give you more fps?
>>
>>52087446
most probably because Windows 10 supports DirectX 12 which is an improvemen tover DirectX 11 and will give more frames per second in future games.
>>
>>52087470
V U L C A N

>>52087427
I'd stick with 8.1. In fact, that's what I am doing. I recently moved up from 8. Aside from a few cool gimicks with how the UI is adaptive to the environment W10 doesn't really have much stability-wise over 8. In fact, it's more of an unstable mess, if anything. Better to stay away from that sinking boat imo, senpai. Then again, it's your machine. So that was my 2 cents in the matter.
>>
>>52087446
Op here. When 10 came out, I made a test using GTA V on 8.1, upgrading and testing again. On Windows 10 I got something like 10fps more but some bugs and slower boot speed made me go back to 8.1
>>
>>52087556
>V U L C A N
This doesn't take away anything I said and there's a slim chance many developers will adopt it over DX12.
>>
>>52087470
There isn't a lot of who use directX 12.
Most of them are still on DX11
>>
>>52087427
I went from 8.1 to Fedora and W10 in dual boot (only for gaymes). 10 isn't worth it yet, especially with the botnet and all. Consider the upgrade as soon as DX12 is adopted by the first AAA games, not a second before
>>
I put up with 10 for a month before going back to 8.1, 10 just felt unfinished and if I wanted to use an unfinished OS I'd use Gahnoo plus Loonix.
>>
>>52087623
read: future games
>>
>>52087427

I recently reverted to 8.1. 8.1 with ClassicShell and a couple of my long-time favorite utilities is, in my opinion, superior to 10.

10 is ugly. It's a pain in the ass on big monitor, or multiple monitors, because it's not obvious which window is active. The weird fucktopia of classic Windows and Metro irritates me. It's just yet another layer of mismatched UIs in the OS.

But the #1 issue? Windows 10 is tied to your motherboard. My mobo died, and my Win 10 installation was invalidated. If I even wanted Win 10 to work again, I had to reinstall 8.1 then upgrade, so fuck that. Win 8.1 4evah.
>>
DirectX 10 was a Vista-exclusive. Few devs adopted it cause it wasn't the standard on all machines. Many kept working with earlier iterations and MS ended up setting the game's industry back as far as the tools they had at hand because of it.
>>
>>52087670

Oh, and by the way, I was listening to one of Leo Laporte's podcasts and even he brought up that this is an effort by Microsoft to stop people from perpetually reinstalling their original OS as they upgrade hardware over the years.

The "free upgrade" is literally a way to generate them more licensing money in the long term.
>>
"Updated" to Win10 a month ago, I regret it so badly, bugs, some things changed to the worse, and other issues that I loathe, most importantly to me is an issue with the touch pad not registering well and needing a reboot every time I turn my laptop on.

Do NOT install Win10 for not.
>>
>>52088486
Upgrading to Windows 10 from a lower ver. of Windows will most likely fuck something up. If you have any common sense, a clean install would be best.
>>
>>52088783
It only preserved the documents and such user files.
Programs and app data were cleared, but backed up in the Windows.old folder.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.