[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Got myself a raspberry pi for christmas, what are some interesting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6
File: raspberry-05.jpg (97 KB, 1000x787) Image search: [Google]
raspberry-05.jpg
97 KB, 1000x787
Got myself a raspberry pi for christmas, what are some interesting things I can do with it

>inb4 Hentai@Home
>>
>>52081975
wire that bastard up to all the lights in your house,
and other electronics like Tv, toaster, smart fridge ..etc

create your own "Smart-house".
For added effect. Hook up your Pi to a Roomba with a camera and set it to map your house and look for dirt-stuff. Bonus points if you set up a neural network so it can learn what dirt looks like.

The possibilities are limitless granted you spend the time researching/tinkering with it.
>>
>>52082020
logically if he put it up too his neighborhoods power line, could it be the same way. or could it fry the. pi.
>>
>>52081975
> what are some interesting things I can do with it
You should have thought about it before you bought it. I did, and I ended up not buying it, because it useless.
>>
Dust collector.
>>
>>52082040
I don't have any fly paper, will two sided duct tape work?
>>
>>52082037
im meaning could he turn there power off and on piss them off.
>>
Leave it on your shelf to rot
>>
BDSM nipple shocker with the pins
>>
>>52082073
it wont ;[
>>
>>52081975
Install kodi, install navi-x, watch a few movies, let it collect dust, promise yourself you'll get round to doing something with it one day, the end.
>>
You can return it, have a sense of accomplishment, and realize you didn't buy into the many /g/ fads that die instantaneously? Remember the mouse pads anyone.
>>
>purchase a case
>purchase a fan
>purchase wifi module
>purchase sd card
>purchase usb hub
>place it in a drawer
>realise you spent $250+ on a piece of shit linux machine with 2005's hardware
>turn on shower
>enter shower
>cry
>>
>>52081975
Buy a breadboard and la red led, use the pins to blink the led on and off, hou so of fun and highly educational.
>>
>>52082098
or run a 1080p60 movie and boil water on the broadcom processor
>>
>>52081975
Buy the camera, take photo of yourself, say 'cool', try to think of something else to do with it, fail, let it collect dust.
>>
how wasteful.

mine is sitting next to my monitor for when i don't want to see a movie on my laptop.

have an arch arm image on another sd card if i want to shit around with it.
>>
>>52081975
i just set my pi up as an always on desktop and a media server. pretty good deal for only 25 bucks.
>>
>>52081975
Turn it into a bitcoin miner, become multimillionaire over night
>>
>>52082218
oh yeah, want to get more sd cards to have a piratebox image ready and to try out freedombox too.
>>
>>52081975
Install windows 10 for raspberry pi, download steam, play fallout 4 on highest settings, works flawlessly.
>>
File: ss_2015-12-27 - 14.36.03.png (89 KB, 1903x1336) Image search: [Google]
ss_2015-12-27 - 14.36.03.png
89 KB, 1903x1336
>>52081975
Turn it into a small home server.
>>
I used a B on my capstone project robot. Expect to have to pay for extra hardware to safely interface with motors.

I used one of my two 2's as a makeshift router when my main one shit the bed a few weeks back.

I used another one as part of a music and lights project and won a hackathon at my school with it.

I occasionally use that same one to run OSMC or a little script that randomly pulls images from imgur and ascii-fies them as a sort of terminal imgur-roulette.

They aren't really meant to be used as a daily driver. They are meant for education or embedded projects where something like the Atmel uC you find on an Arduino or teensy don't have enough horsepower.

What it has over a standard computer is the GPIO, which I as an electrical engineer enjoy, but which most software guys find daunting at first.
>>
>>52082267
>2016-1
>not mining memes

2016 will be the year of the memes lads
>>
>>52082349
>100kb/s
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
>>
plug a webcam into it and use Zoneminder to make a surveillance system
>>
Hook it up to your fucking machine.
>>
Do something useful.

http://www.devconsole.info/?p=879
>>
>>52082917
>Tor relay
>>
>>52083248

Relays are the middle nodes that only handle encrypted traffic from entry nodes to exit nodes. They're completely safe. Entry nodes are even safe. The only thing that's even remotely risky are exit nodes.
>>
>>52082349
What tool is that?
>>
>>52083291
>actively helping pedophiles and other criminals
>>
>>52083393
We're all one in this world my sweet-natured friend. Let's join together in pleasure and unity.
>>
>>52083393
You help iranian and chinese criminals too. IE the ones that want democracy but saying it out loud would get their legs broken by the iranian police.
>>
>>52081975
Hentai@home?
>>
>>52083411
i feel like people would use tor for cp/crime far more than political reasons
>>
>>52083393

>only criminals deserve privacy

Tor is one of the best tools we have to prevent mass surveillance. It's unfortunate that people use freedom in bad ways sometimes, but that is the cost of freedom. The State Department funds Tor to help it get to dissidents in Iran, China, Russia, etc; but then the Government acts as though only criminals use it domestically. Apparently privacy and anonymity are rights that only citizens of other countries deserve.
>>
Local Git repository
>>
>>52083477
Well this just shows that it works. Worry when there isn't crime on Tor.
>>
>>52083477

Criminals can already do bad things. Since they're willing to break laws, they already have lots of options available that provide better privacy than Tor provides. They can steal cell phones, use them, and throw them in a ditch; they can crack into computers in Korea or Brazil and use them to launch abusive activities; they can use spyware, viruses, and other techniques to take control of literally millions of Windows machines around the world.

Tor aims to provide protection for ordinary people who want to follow the law. Only criminals have privacy right now, and we need to fix that.

Some advocates of anonymity explain that it's just a tradeoff — accepting the bad uses for the good ones — but there's more to it than that. Criminals and other bad people have the motivation to learn how to get good anonymity, and many have the motivation to pay well to achieve it. Being able to steal and reuse the identities of innocent victims (identity theft) makes it even easier. Normal people, on the other hand, don't have the time or money to spend figuring out how to get privacy online. This is the worst of all possible worlds.

So yes, criminals could in theory use Tor, but they already have better options, and it seems unlikely that taking Tor away from the world will stop them from doing their bad things. At the same time, Tor and other privacy measures can fight identity theft, physical crimes like stalking, and so on.
>>
I'm currently working on a project to put my rpi 2 into an old NES console and use the controller ports to control it, I'm going to haveUSB ports on the back for other controllers so I can emulate up to ps1 gen with it.
>>
File: dec-5th-2015.png (25 KB, 499x480) Image search: [Google]
dec-5th-2015.png
25 KB, 499x480
>>52081975
>>
OP here, ended up setting it up in my kitchen with a webcam so I can check if my toaster is done toasting bread straight from my browser.
>>
>>52084537
I wanted to do this.
But the cameras are all shit and never work.

How do you stream it without overheating?
>>
>>52084637
I use motion, haven't had problems with overheating yet.
>>
>>52084637

Get a heatsink or a fan that runs off ghe gpio pins.
>>
>>52081975
fuck dat sheeit nigga get dat jewce barry all out what you nigga bitch
>>
>>52084686
I could get motion only to work with 480p video, 1080p was not possible, the raspberry was far too slow.
I am now streaming directly from raspivid over VLC, but I'm at 70C after a few hours of streaming.
So now I only run the camera when the stream is getting accessed for 2 minutes.

The raspberry just isn't made for 1080p full motion detection and streaming it into the network.
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 360x360
>>52081975
I find this image of raspberries oppressive, please delete this thread, and yourself from existence.
>>
>>52084833
I'd wash that bitch pink and fuck her.
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 395x395) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 395x395
>>52084952
Are you sure you can tame the beast?
>>
>>52083308
In case you're still around: https://github.com/XavierBerger/RPi-Monitor
>>
>>52083411
Maybe, but they'd much rather need a node near them. Anyways they don't need to send cp videos so tor being slow is less of an issue.
>>
>>52082429

what dumb thing are you excited about
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.