[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ubuntu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: ubuntu.png (56 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu.png
56 KB, 420x420
When did Ubuntu get so good?
Was all the shitposting just a meme? (I know, ironic isn't?)
>>
The hate towards unity isn't that uncommon. Probably the only /g/ opinion I've constantly heard in real life.
>>
Ubuntu has always been good, Unity is the problem. It was best when it had old-school gnome.
>>
I last tried Ubuntu in 2010 and it was still shitty and broken

Why should I use it when Windows 10 just works?
>>
>>52077968
But what works anon?!
Window 10 can't even recognize keyboard nor touchpads.

Ubuntu in other hand ...
>>
When they included Amazon spyware on by default.
>>
>>52078019
The one you can disable on System Settings? Yeah I've heard of that.
>>
>>52078057
Yes, on by default implies that it can be turned off.
>>
>>52077893
When Mint became popular
>>
>>52077968
>Windows 10
>10

I seriously hope you are using Enterprise edition and have uncucked the thing. I don't know how long time windows users can stand cortana, it's aggressive updater, etc and just wait until the next windows. It's only going to get worse before it gets better.

I currently dual boot between Debian and Windows but I might just drop Windows altogether for personal use and only give them a chance by 2020.

I can't speak for Ubuntu (would go for Kubuntu, Mint or Xubunut) but I can say it's been half a decade and a year (almost 2016) since you used it. One thing I like about Linux is that things always seem to be moving forward and that there always alternatives, some easier to implement than others depending on your tech know-how. These better alternatives sometimes overtake the shittier and previously entrenched defaults or are on their way to doing so.
>>
File: ubuntu mate.png (838 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu mate.png
838 KB, 1920x1080
>>52077893
It's good if you use other Ubuntu-based distributions such as Xubuntu or Ubuntu MATE.

Pic related
Why aren't you /g/uy's using the most comfy Ubuntu-based distribution?
>>
fonts + amazon + walmart
>>
>>52077968
sorry Ubuntu doesn't support the LED light show feature on your gaymen laptop bro
>>
>>52078232
But I'm already running Lubuntu, anon
>>
>>52077893
If you don't install Unity it's actually pretty good (at least for beginners and casual desktopfags.)
>>
>>52077893
IMO a is FUD created just to perpetuate old myths and try to give the sensation that there has not been progress to those people that not even tried it but at the end it's impossible to hide the sun with one finger. i'm not talking just about ubuntu but linux in general btw
>>
>>52078232
I'm running Linux Mint Mate but that Mate1.8.1 it's quite interesting.
>>
>>52077942
i also don't like unity a lot but at least it's good that there's a good number of flavors available. One size doesn't fit everyone.
>>
File: 1451168388899.jpg (74 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1451168388899.jpg
74 KB, 1280x720
>>52077893
Why all the hate for unity? To mac-ish for you meme-ing faggots?
>>
What is everyones hate-boner for unity all about?
>>
went from Arch and i3 to Ubuntu about a week ago

I miss AUR & pacman, I would even take RPM over apt...
>>
>>52078524
amazon spyware
>>
>>52078534
Why regress like that?
You can get Unity on Arch.
>>
>>52078560
But you can disable that.
>>
>>52078560
They removed that shit a while ago. Get with the times son.
>>
>>52078583
when?
>>
>>52078577
because full normie mode is comfy
>>
Ubuntu is perfect in every way. I haven't had any issues with my media center in all the years it's been running Ubuntu and I update it every few days.
>>
>>52078232
Because it's so ugly it makes my eyes bleed.
Also, it's just a GNOME 2 clone.
>>
Kubuntu is better OP is easier on the ram usage but can be a bit confusing to a normie with all the options it gives.
Xubuntu is excellent and very simple. Much more user friendly than Unity/Gnome.

Windows 7 / Unity > Gnome > Kubuntu > Xubuntu > Lubuntu
>>
>>52077893
Ubuntu core = ok
Ubuntu unity = SHIT

Ubuntu core + xfce = Best
>>
>>52078232
Mate is outdated and has annoying bugs. It has been succeeded by xfce and cinnamon.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.