[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ROTATE INDIVIDUAL WINDOW
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: rotate3.jpg (920 KB, 1526x934) Image search: [Google]
rotate3.jpg
920 KB, 1526x934
how to rotate a window as in pic related?
this is in linux (kde specifically) but is there any WM/DE capable of doing this?
I remember seeing a tech demo for one of those tablets and they were rotating windows all over the place, i cant remember what it was, but it was touch based.
why cant X11/Kwin/etc be able to do this? i know wayland's supposed to be getting it, but with opengl backends already available for any compositing manager, why isnt it avaialable now, at least as a window effect?

I've been searching for the last half hour and cant find anything. so i guess i should look into the code itself and find a solution.. any suggestions where to start, like mayb kwin mailing list or something?
>>
bumping with wallpaper
>>
>>52075407
Take a screenshot of you desktop with a window you want to rotate, open it in Phtoshop, select your window and rotate it.
>>
>>52076288
yes, that's what i did for the OP

but i'm talking about doing it arbitrarily for any window as you work with it. if windows are drawn objects, with specified x/y coordinates, why would a WM be incable of rotating that? especially in the age of compositing/opengl WMs
>>
>>52076327
I just can't fathom why on earth you would wabt to do that
>>
>>52076527
Maybe his pdf scans are rotated and his viewer doesn't support rotation?
>>
>>52076527
>why
because

>playing some random video uploaded from a phone
>idiot making the video keeps twisting it so the video starts playing sideways
>rather than download, edit in some video editor/ffmpeg then pipe to mplayer, i want to just rotate the video player window

thats what got me searching, but ultimately it's become a "why isnt this implemented" and "how can i find a way to implement" thought experiment

not that i expect it to become a thing, but i'm looking as to why technically speaking it's not feasible or why it hasnt been implemented

>>52076559
this would apply to, but more in the sense i want to just quickly rotate a window with say a schematic drawing
>>
File: 1450808123671.jpg (23 KB, 258x269) Image search: [Google]
1450808123671.jpg
23 KB, 258x269
>>52076559
Wouldn't it be time to change the viewer in that case?
>>
>>52076594
most viewers support only 90deg increment rotations, and what i'm talking about would be an arbitrary angle of rotation
and more importantlyl would apply to non-stationary media like video
>>
>>52075407
>why isnt it avaialable now
Asking why whoever still develops X11 hasn't added some obscure feature yet isn't a good idea.

X is so full of bugs, obscure code and security issues that they haven't or can't fix that taking the time to add rotating windows would be ludicrous. Really X should be deprecated as soon as possible.

Wayland actually already has this feature -- I've tried it myself using weston. I'm not sure how usable wayland window managers or desktop environments have become, but for the curious, here's archlinux's info on using wayland:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wayland
>>
>>52076931
i was hoping to avoid going into wayland, but i guess it's the only feasable way. i just wasnt sure if the limitation was kwin itself or X. if it's X, you're absolutely right that it would be a useless proposition to get it implemented there
>>
Metisse did this
Compiz is capable but not sure which plugin does it
I've seen it done with the default Wayland compositor
Project Looking Glass could do it
>>
herbstluftwm, xmonad, and stumpwm could do this afaik.
>>
File: whatthefug.jpg (20 KB, 211x246) Image search: [Google]
whatthefug.jpg
20 KB, 211x246
>>52078254
>herbstluftwm
>>
>>52076582
Why not just stream the video in mpv and use a simple filter to rotate it in mpv?
>>
>>52079025
because then it would not work on the fly, you would have to pass the filter to mpv in the command right? or load it through some kind of config file?
what if the video flips back counterclockwise (or further clockwise +90deg) a few minutes in?
not to mention this would only work for mpv related files (videos) whereas i'm looking for a more universal solution for all windows
>>
>>52079057
There's almost certainly some obscure thing you can do in X11 like splitting a monitor into multiple virtual screens and rotating one of those. Or you could use Wayland
>>
>>52079147
that's the thing tho
desktop cube exists, which allows you to paint windows on a surface and then proceed to transform that surface in realtime (with the windows displaying current content) with very good performance
i'm not talking about something in 3D even, just a simple "rotate" of a 2d rectangular area and keep the contents within that area as you rotate it
anyway, i'm just thinking out loud at this point. i'll have to see what kwin scripts can do one of these days
>>
>>52079331
Metisse has it implemented already
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.