[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Platform-specific GUI Library what is the fucking point
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1438110439904.jpg (52 KB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
1438110439904.jpg
52 KB, 540x360
>Platform-specific GUI Library
what is the fucking point
>>
>>52067214
you still don't have to rewrite everything for every program you make
>>
why does /g/ takes cross-platform as something very important where you will be using one system for most case and even with dual booting having the same program on both systems is retarded?
>>
>GUI Library
>not electron
>>
>>52067214
Because the platform specific frameworks allow for much more customization and graphics capabilities.

That's why you separate your logic from your GUI manipulation.

Or just make a web app.

WPF: prettier, better performing graphics and animations.
WinForms: cross platform and pre-2001 machine compatibility
>>
>>52067535
>Or just make a web app.
this is what we need

html/css program gui's for everything
>>
>>52068105
This is actually a good idea.
I don't know why we aren't already doing this.
>>
>>52068105
>html/css program gui's for everything
>>52068158
>This is actually a good idea.
>I don't know why we aren't already doing this.
KIll yourselves.
>>
HTML BASED LINUX DISTRO WHEN
>>
>>52068183
No either of those guys but I don't see any real argument against this. Sure it would potentially make GUIs slower, but it would make it so that software is so much more easily ported between different platforms, and the only people it would ultimately hurt are normies who are too stupid to use the CLI mode of the software.
>>
>>52067477
>not electron
>slowest dogshit xplatform lib ever made
>atom takes longer to start than chromium
>how do you even fuck up that bad

If only Qt was free (permissive), you'd have fast portable code that just worked pretty much everywhere

>>52068105
>>52068158
Fuck off you filthy web devs. HTML and CSS are cancers and a fucking blight on software
>>
>>52068194
if it ever came to it, i think it'd be xml based
>>
>>52068517
>earn money
>make shitty GUI coder slaves mad
Man, feels great to be a webdev.
>>
>>52067214

>Platform independent UI library
>Totally alien and weird on every platform
>>
>>52067433
Cos we think like programmers and not consumers. We want our code to be available to as many people as possible, regardless of what they're running at home.
>>
>>52068517
Electron is going to get better over time.
Atom is just a shit example.

Have you tried using slack? They use electron and its fast as fuck, .
>>
>>52068482
>and the only people it would ultimately hurt are normies who are too stupid to use the CLI mode of the software.
would it? I doubt normies ever run programs so taxing to their machine that a gui change would make a difference
>>
>>52068194
>>52068594
not html but...
https://node-os.com/
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.