[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How long until math gets banned for assisting terrorists?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 6
File: SID700.gif (42 KB, 500x276) Image search: [Google]
SID700.gif
42 KB, 500x276
How long until math gets banned for assisting terrorists?
>>
File: 1437232277950.jpg (31 KB, 573x609) Image search: [Google]
1437232277950.jpg
31 KB, 573x609
>>52063039
>RSA
>Secure
>>
There's a worrying trend in our culture of it being okay to not be competent with math. You often hear people say something like "oh I'm just not good at math" or "I'm just math illiterate" or whatever.

The problem is that nobody would say something like that about being able to read prose. Like nobody would look at a book and be like "oh this is all nonsense to me, I'm just not good at that stuff!", or if they did say something like that, everyone's esteem in that person would plummet.

It's socially acceptable to write off poor math skills and general avoidance of math, and that makes it seem like witchcraft when someone is competent with mathematics. People talk about technology like it's all leveraging Clarke's third law ("any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic").

You can argue that "society is fucked", but this is the defeatist autistic person's response. If that's your take, then go hole up in your bedroom, only leaving to don a trench coat and shoot up a school or something.

The constructive path forward is to think about how we can make mathematics and science less mysterious and enigmatic. We need to seriously rethink pedagogy to emphasize mathematics as a fact of life the way reading and writing are seen as facts of life.

How do we do that? I'm not sure, but I think those of us who have some grasp of quantitative methods, mathematics, etc... should be on that page of the conversation and work forward from there.
>>
>>52063162
If you make math easier to understand than those that get millions a year from math won't have a job.
That's unacceptable.
>>
>>52063222
Yeah, this is the kind of toxic bullshit we don't need. It's like a scribe saying that literacy endangers their career given the printing press.

If you're not up to that meager competition, you shouldn't have a job anyway.
>>
>>52063162
>The problem is that nobody would say something like that about being able to read prose. Like nobody would look at a book and be like "oh this is all nonsense to me, I'm just not good at that stuff!", or if they did say something like that, everyone's esteem in that person would plummet.
That's no different from math. Unless you're talking about literally illiterate people this describes the world today just as well.
>>
>>52063162
The root cause of the difficult in maths is the teaching system which is linked to the education system itself. The same old cookie cutter one size fits all approach is bullshit.

The teachers are like zombies who don't even make an effort to make the subject interesting or teach students properly the basics. Majority of people including me struggled all our life because our foundation of maths was set by complacent assholes in our school.

No one provided career guidance or highlighted the importance of maths, it was just another subject. Now at the age of 32, I look back and realize that maths was the only subject I should have focused on. If you have a degree in mathematics, you not only useful for society but will get a good paying job to support your family.

I wasted my life on shenanigans of social sciences.
>>
>>52063162
Maybe the problem is that people ARE retarded?
>>
>>52063162
The reason math is considered witchcraft is because of the way it's taught in public schools.
People are taught via rote memorization despite the fact that all math concepts build upon the ones that came before it.
And with the advent of common core, this is only going to get worse.
Kids will give up on math long before they had the chance to learn anything useful.
So right now, your average adult knows basic grade school math and maybe long division.
In the future, they'll be lucky if they know addition.
>>
>>52063489
>>52063459
this. its even worse in accounting and finance subjects. the teachers just show you some stupid slides and walk away expecting you to solve institute level questions in the final on your own. they don't even tell us how many books we have to refer to and we are so fearful that 90% of my class has dropped out and majoring in marketing now.
>>
>>52063459
>>52063162
I don't understand your point.
Society can't function if everyone joining the workforce is a math major.
>>
Math is just stupid nerd shit for autists, who normal can understand ANYTHING when they've been given to solve a billion numbers with a thousand different symbols and told to make sense of it, nobody, that's who.
>>
>>52063459
>teaching system
Education should be provided only for those who want to learn, everyone else should be expected to replace Mexicans.
>>
File: 1414617540716.jpg (71 KB, 450x373) Image search: [Google]
1414617540716.jpg
71 KB, 450x373
>>52063523
>>
>>52063443
>That's no different from math. Unless you're talking about literally illiterate people this describes the world today just as well.
That is what I'm saying. People will dismiss mathematics and say they're "math illiterate" or something like that even to simple mathematics.

>>52063459
It's not clear what you're prescribing here. I don't think it's fair to say that teachers are just zonked out across the country/world. I think we just (still) suck at teaching math; we're better at working out how to teach English and whatnot.

I don't think we should think of the fields as a zero sum game. You felt short-changed because you learned a lot of social sciences stuff. That's a shame, because there's a lot of value in knowing about cultures, history, poetry, etc... and more importantly I don't think that beating you over the head with the club that is poorly-designed math curricula would've helped you any more than the scant clubbing you got.

We need to figure out how to teach math better, *and* how to communicate its relevance in the world. Eyeing social sciences looking for an hour's worth of lecture to cut per day is no more a solution than cutting off the nose to spite the face.
>>
>>52063542
You do that and society turns into a caste system.
The educated elite will deny education to the children of uneducated parents and keep their supply of low income workers in neverending supply for generations.
>>
>>52063523
>some people can do thing
>I can't
>well there must be something wrong with them
Idiocracy was supposed to be a warning, not a guideline.
>>
>>52063562
That's good though. People were never equal to begin with.
>>
How much math do I need to be a successful programmer?
I feel like I screwed myself over by avoiding algebra and trigenometry in high school.
>>
>>52063587
You don't need any math unless you're working with graphical stuff.
>>
>>52063600
I want to do graphical stuff.
>>
>>52063604
Then kill yourself.
>>
>>52063585
it's amazing how many people with mediocre-or-worse genes say this, not realizing that they're advocating self-harm
>>
>>52063558
>That is what I'm saying. People will dismiss mathematics and say they're "math illiterate" or something like that even to simple mathematics.
But I'm taking it a step further. You're example is bad, because there's no shame in being a shitty reader.
You might as well be talking about people who hate eating apples and compare them to a hypothetical group of people hate eating peaches. The absurdity of the base situation is so patently absurd that the need for an analogue is demonstrably redundant.
>>
>>52063611
why
>>
Why even bother with math? Get your daddy to get you a job in the public sector and you're set for life.
I'll never understand you fucking niggers who actually need to put in effort to live.
>>
>>52063604
I know fuck all about this, but I've heard one random faggot on /g/ (what a reliable source!) say that 3D graphics in a game is at its core a shitload of linear algebra, pretty much all transformations. Having done linear algebra, that seems pretty logical.
>>
>>52063640
i was looking at someone's text spiral generator on /dpt/ and it involved thetas and cosine and sine and i have no fucking clue what that is
>>
>>52063640
That is 99% true.
>>
>>52063676
>spirals
>doesn't see the relevance of sine and cosine
fucking kill yourself man
>>
>>52063620
Maybe I'm not communicating the example properly. I'm saying that people will see numbers and immediately dismiss it, saying they're math illiterate or whatever excuse; even summing up a few numbers causes them to back off.

The analog for reading is similar to someone looking at a menu item's description and saying "ahhh I can't make heads or tails of this stuff".

Someone can get away with being "math-illiterate" and there's no embarrassment in it for them (or there's minimal at worst). If someone said they were similarly illiterate with regular words, they'd get looks like they were raised by wolves, or had a learning disability or something.
>>
>>52063717
sorry, meant "maybe I'm communicating the example poorly"
>>
>>52063717
Nobody cares for your fucking math you fucking autist, I can call you raised by wolves too when I see you can't even cook an egg.
>>
https://twitter.com/davide_paltri/status/676696685456826368
>>
>>52063709
what's a sine and cosine?
>>
>>52063640
Yeah bang on.
Specific library's allow automatic transformations (OpenGL and glTranslate() for example)
But doing the matrix transformation/translation/manipulation through your own matrix classes is much more rewarding.
However, 3D graphics doesn't really require you to be all that good at maths, it just requires a good understanding.
>>
>>52063775
So you're saying if I learn enough about math to understand linear algebra I can succeed in 3D programming?
>>
>>52063791
You also need to be proficient at the relevant programming tasks of course
>>
>>52063791
That's just a qualification, what you need to succeed is a lot of effort.
>>
File: 1391904401966.gif (427 KB, 200x198) Image search: [Google]
1391904401966.gif
427 KB, 200x198
>>52063756
>>52063676
>there is someone on /g/ RIGHT NOW who doesn't know what sin/cos is
>>
>>52063727
>you can't even cook an egg.
what?

if you went crazy just now, blink twice and jump out of the nearest window
>>
File: 1423495638672.jpg (3 KB, 122x125) Image search: [Google]
1423495638672.jpg
3 KB, 122x125
>>52063756
>>
>>52063847
Either a european high school dropout or just american
>>
>>52063847
no really what is that
>>
>>52063875
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sine
or if that's too complicated
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sine
>>
>>52063875
http://goo dot gl/JbcwIx
>>
>>52063162
>How do we do that? I'm not sure
This line. Read this line and realize that we can work towards a 'Brave New World' only if we actually have sound and rational solutions to the problems we face today.
>>
>Calling it math instead of maths
Try working on your English first.
>>
>>52063906
thanks for that quasi-enlightened contribution
>>
>>52063950
do we need autism to slow this conversation down? go bite on your headboard or something until you work off that fit over the convention of one letter.
>>
>>52063964
Sure, let's just agree that math sounds retarded and carry on with the thread theme.
>>
>>52063975
>calling everything a meme
>>
>>52063975
OK
>>
>>52063676
>theta
The greek letter? While that could technically be anything, depending entirely on the author's definition, it was most likely a variable. Most people I know use theta for a variable indicating angles.

>sine
>cosine
Picture a right triangle (I seriously hope you know what that is).

The two lines that form a right angle are the catheti (singular form would be cathetus). The remaining line is the hypotenuse.

Take any of the two angles on the triangle that aren't right angles. The angle is formed by two lines. If you don't consider the right angle like I said you shouldn't, one of the lines that constitute one of those angles will always be the hypotenuse. The other line that constitutes the angle will be one of the catheti. The catheti that does this is the adjacent cathetus. The one that doesn't form part of the angle is the opposite cathetus. If you switch to the other angle, the opposite and adjacent cathetus swap places, one line becomes the other. Draw a right triangle and try to make sense of this visually if you have trouble following. Mark one of the edges and write on each line which is the adjacent cathetus of that angle, which is opposite cathetus of that angle, and which is the hypotenuse. It's actually very simple once you have a visual guide.

Once you've picked one of the angles, you can define sine and cosine. Take the length of the opposite cathetus and divide it by the length of the hypotenuse, that's the sine of that angle. The adjacent cathetus divided by the hypotenuse is the cosine of that angle. Take sine and divide by cosine, you get tangent.

The "cool" thing about sin, cos and tan is that it doesn't matter how long the lines are; the sin/cos/tan of an 'X' degree angle will be the same as an 'X' degree angle of another triangle with longer or shorter lines.

Then there's certain things such as the sine and cosine laws that let you find the length of all the sides and all the angles if you know some of them.
>>
>>52063459
Pretty much this, I'm shit at math. In freshman year in high school i stated i didn't understand what she was teaching. I was told "you completely dont understand whats being taught so i cant help you" its like dude you're a fucking teacher, its your fucking job. So i transferred out of that class. The next class i was put in the teacher literally just gave out worksheets, dicked around on his computer for 30 mins, then gave everyone the answers and we all passed with A's. Needles to say I didn't learn shit. Thanks American public school system.
>>
>>52063975
Math sounds way better than maths.
>>
>>52064021
Never too late to learn. Check out khan academy, do a little work every day. Sal is great at explaining math concepts in an intuitive way.
>>
>>52063871
>European high-school dropout
Basic trigonometry is taught in middle school in most European countries.
>>
>>52064021
>the teacher literally just gave out worksheets, dicked around on his computer for 30 mins, then gave everyone the answers and we all passed with A's. Needles to say I didn't learn shit. Thanks American public school system

Ah, I've got a nice greentext story.

>Country has "free" university for everyone, no tuition and campus dorms aren't a thing, most college kids live with parents
>First year of my STEM degree, share courses with S,, T, M when applicable but not E, they get seperate baby-tier courses
>Physics 1
>Class is 4 courses a week, each course is 2 hours long; 2 of them are lectures by the professor, the other 2 are basically practice work where you have to solve a problem sheet, with plenty of upperclassmen around to help anyone who doesn't understand or can't solve something
>Everyone has to print out work sheets or get them from the in-campus photocopy store
>Download work sheet from course site, print, notice that all the solutions are at the end
>ohboy.jpg
>2 months later
>Exam coming up
>A large group of dumbasses fucked around up until now because "dude, they hand out the answers!"
>They ask the practice professor when they need to hand in the sheets because nobody ever handed them in
>theydontknow.jpg
>They realize that the sheets count for 0 percent of your grade
>Cold sweat breaks out among them
>Exam day
>Most of them fail miserably on all three tries they get
>Some pass, miraculously, by cramming
>Fuck around for remainder of semester
>They cram again, two of the group survive
>Semester ends
>"Sweet, first course in! So anon, when do we get the exam marks?"
>"What? Oh, those were just pass-fail exams that green-light you for the final exam if you pass them; now you have to sign up for the final exam whenever you want from now until three years ahead, and your grade depends solely on that exam. I heard it's a bitch of an exam, they'll ask pretty much anything and everything."
>The two remaining kids faces were fucking comedy gold
>>
>>52064072
I'd love to once I'm in a position where I'm not working 2 jobs to make ends meet.
>>
>>52064072
Just checked out the site, looks p good. I'll check it out when I'm not at work shitposting on my phone.
>>
>>52063626
/g/ is all knowing.
obey or gtfo.
>>
>>52063875
Y-you're serious? Did you sleep through middle school or what?
>>
>tfw stopped going to school at 13 because of anxiety and have no idea how to get my math skills up
>>
>>52063875
The plural of
sinus ==sin and cosinus ==cos
Are sine and cosine (this is because Both words are Latin)
>>
>>52064951
>tfw stopped going to school at 13 because of anxiety
People like you should be euthanized.
>>
>>52065177
If someone else could do it I would be happy. Too much of a pussy to do it myself.
>>
>>52063067
Aes-256 master race bitches!
>>
>>52063459
I know this is bait but that's what you get with division of labor, idiot.

You could say they same about basic agriculture and ranching, food processing, building, and so many more basic stuff created when the most advanced math skills were counting the days in a year. Everyone knows how to count years, measure distances, add, multiply and so on but who knows how to take care of a cow, slaughter it and process it for food?
>>
>>52066743
You could take up smoking.
>>
>>52063162
You talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded.
>>
>>52067452
ebin may may, 1 upboat for u
>>
>>52063162
>There's a worrying trend in our culture of it being okay to not be competent with math. You often hear people say something like "oh I'm just not good at math" or "I'm just math illiterate" or whatever.

Math skills have never been stronger in the general population, you're just a faggot that can't accept not everybody in the world is a STEM major and are pants shittingly afraid of people with different interests and strengths.
>>
>>52066858
> AES
> not recognizing that AES is backdoored
> not using djb only cryptosystems

don't worry, cryptography isn't for everyone.
>>
>>52067974
(Needs citation)
>>
>>52067974
Are you retarted, aes is open source.
>>
>>52063162
>There's a worrying trend in our culture of it being okay to not be competent with math.
What? Is this a joke?
50 years ago no one gave a fuck about math except for Physicists, Mathematicians, Engineers, and some people in the financial sector. It's still the same today, because most people think it's useless if it's not being applied to those fields.
You should be more worried about people becoming less literate and creative than people were 60 years ago.
>>
>>52063039
My dad, a medical doctor used to uses those. Note he uses a VPN for his hospital in order to access his personal terminal.
>>
>>52063039
The same amount of time it takes for OP to stop being a faggot.
>>
>>52067974
>AES is backdoored
Awww, that's so cute. He thinks he's smart.
>>
>>52063067
RSA-4096 is nearly as good as AES-128 so it's still impossible to crack, you meme spouting turboautist.
>>
>>52063039
Couldn't agree more. Fucking terrorists could be using Tabletop Simulator and writing each other their plans in Dominoes for all we know. Wtf are they going to do to intercept those?

Our politicians right now have no idea what they're saying when they want to add a "backdoor for the good guys" or whatever the message is now. It's shameful that nobody's explained how foolish that is.

To ban encryption would be impossible. I could write you a letter in this very chat that couldn't be read by anybody but you and I. I'd just multiply each letter by whatever I decide, send it to you, let you multiply by whatever you like, send it back to me, I'll divide by the previously multiplied numebrs, send it to you, and you divide as well, and you'll have my letter. Voila, encryption achieved with multiplication and division. It's breakable, but it's encryption, and you can't make that illegal without banning Math.
>>
>>52066858
Symmetrical and public-key systems solve different problems
>>
File: cosmic-tetractys-of-153-dots.gif (34 KB, 953x719) Image search: [Google]
cosmic-tetractys-of-153-dots.gif
34 KB, 953x719
Having interest in maths/numbers already nets you quite a few XKEYSCORE points
>>
>>52063039
It will never be banned. We've almost totally achieved with math what Huxley said we would achieve with reading, that no one will care about it. In the next couple generations, even single-digit number addition will become a dark art known only to the most elite.
>>
>>52064150
What's this free university?
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.