[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How long do you think it'll take for 3d printing to get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8
File: 1367248067818.jpg (298 KB, 1000x1503) Image search: [Google]
1367248067818.jpg
298 KB, 1000x1503
How long do you think it'll take for 3d printing to get good/cheap enough for people to print high quality figures?

Do you think the figure industry will die soon as a result, or will people still pay the money just for the coloring job?
>>
>>52061189

It's already good enough. In another 5 to 100 years it will be "cheap enough"
>>
You wouldn't pirate a waifu would you?
>>
>>52061239
It's download, you jamoke
>>
>>52061189
Well, the solution is pretty simple. The companies who produce figures just need to step up the game and add components which can't be replicated with 3d printers. Like hair, and 'real' clothes. And tiny lasercut details which are beyond the resolution of low-end printers.

3d printers are pretty cool, but still far far away from all-purpose Star Trek replicators.
>>
File: 4L_eYoNduHi.jpg (93 KB, 889x1300) Image search: [Google]
4L_eYoNduHi.jpg
93 KB, 889x1300
>>52061189
Can u 3d print a pizza? Make my own pappa johns?
>>
>>52061482
You can 3D print pizzas
>>
hnnnggg that figure

I gotta get a job and move out of the basement
>>
>>52061189
What figure is that?
>>
Not for a long time op for the cost to even make a fig like that from a 3d printer you might as well just buy an official one
>>
>>52061482
Fuck you, now I want a pizza. And nothing is open at this time of the year.
>>
>>52061777
The formlabs resin printers could do a pretty respectable job of reproducing the figure in the OP, provided they didn't screw up halfway through the print and stick a glob of cured resin to the teflon tray (fuckers)

That would only cost ~$2k to get set up and running, including materials, and there are plenty of dudes in the /a/ buyfag thread with more than two kilobucks worth of cute plastic
>>
File: 1447079669185.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1447079669185.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>52061482
Pizza is proprietary
>>
File: 4L_bF3iHiTx.jpg (115 KB, 507x338) Image search: [Google]
4L_bF3iHiTx.jpg
115 KB, 507x338
>>52061799
This is why we need to start 3d printing our own pizzas! Pizza your way!
>>
>>52061189
>Do you think the figure industry will die soon as a result

Absolutely not, it'll just have to compete with whatever is then available
Their selling point would mostly be the sculpt itself and an "official"ness
They'd definitely have to compete in price if 3D printed alternatives are to be cheaper than figures as they are now
Also the colouring job as you say isn't exactly what anyone could do, yeah sure it's not hard to do it, but it's pretty time consuming and demanding if you want to do it well

Also I thought this was a 3D printing thread, anyways, what should I start with if I want to make my own figure and such? I already have a sculpt but no 3D printer
Anyone with experience want to tell me what's retarded and what's not?
>>
>>52061937
It actually is hard. Faces--particularly eyes--are an unholy bitch to get right and before you say "waterslide decals" let me tell you: getting them perfectly aligned with each other and straight on the same plane will make you wish you'd taken up cock and ball torture as a hobby instead
>>
>>52061937
oh ALSO if you have a nice sculpt, my first inclination would be to see if you could get a mold milled out of aluminum/delrin; it wouldn't be much more expensive than 4-5 really high quality prints, and you could pull as many resin castings as you wanted out of it. You'd also end up with a nicer finish on the parts.

If you're dead set on printing you could look at this blog http://happyramiel.tumblr.com/post/105243007204/so-you-wanna-make-a-3d-printed-doll-bjd-or

which also gives a nice example of how you'd want to cut your model up for molds/casting.
>>
Tentaclearmada?
>>
>figure industry

kek
>>
>>52061423

>hair, and 'real' clothes

That would make them dolls and therefore gay.
>>
>>52061937
>You wouldn't download a figure.
You know that the second this is affordable and good enough one person is going to buy a figure, scan it, and upload to the new figure category on nyaa.
>>
>>52062203
But what about the colour data? Isn't the only "coloured" 3D print at the moment sandstone? There's a reason why I don't buy the chinese bootlegs they sell at a fraction of the price, it's because the paint job is horrendous
>>
>>52062221
I'm just talking about the hypothetical time where you can print near perfect copies, I know absolutely nothing about figures.
>>
File: RIP_5843.jpg (855 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
RIP_5843.jpg
855 KB, 1600x1067
>>52061423
>Like hair, and 'real' clothes.
So basically cross over into the doll industry.
>>
>>52062182
Figurines have had real cloth since forever. I have a Saber fig with real removable stocking.
>>
>>52062230
Well from what I know, scanning something into 3D is pretty easy (you can use a Kinect for that shit even), it's just obtaining accurate mesh and colour data that doesn't include the shadows and the mesh optimization so that the mesh isn't fuckdense with triangles that's the problem
>>
>>52062265
There are no scanning methods that I know of that don't require a fuckton of work to scale down the fucking amount of triangles they have in them.
>>
>>52062010
>>52062034
Nice, thanks

I don't really understand the aluminium/delrin mill thing however

Also I take it that you know alot about it, so do you have any other resources that may be useful? Jointed or not, since I think it's best I try out a static stationary model first and try painting it or whatever people do on models
>>
>>52062306
Yeah, it'd be easier to break into their headquarters and steal their print data or mold if anything
>>
>>52062034
Why not print a mold?
>>
>>52062182
>>52062242
Are you implying figures are anything else than dolls for 'adults'?
>>
>>52062308
im going to sleep right now, but basically the idea is to separate the model into parts such that you have no overhangs, then split those parts in half, then mill out the shape of each of those halves from a block of material to make a mold

like this http://makezine.com/2014/03/21/resin-casting-going-from-cad-to-engineering-grade-plastic-parts/
>>
>>52062356
3d printed resolution sucks compared to what you can get with a fancy mill-on-demand service and resin casts, plus the latter option means you can pull lots of prototypes instead of just getting one in the mail
>>
>>52061482
Didn't NASA actually develop some kind of food printer and the first thing they tried to make was pizza?
>>
>>52062367
Figures don't have movable joints.
>>
>>52062367
Do you lack reading comprehension? Dolls are different from figures, that's literally all there is to it
There are figure nerds and doll nerds, lumping them together is like equating together Linux nerds and Call of Duty players as the same thing
>>
>>52061482
>>52062401

Chocolate first. Then pizza.

http://www.gizmag.com/3d-printed-pizza-astronauts/30685/
>>
File: dd_asuna_top02.jpg (159 KB, 948x545) Image search: [Google]
dd_asuna_top02.jpg
159 KB, 948x545
>>52062367
Are you implying dolls aren't for adults?
>>
>>52062265
>>52062306
You know there are software solutions to these problems already in all professional modeling programs?

I know for a fact Maya can reduce triangle count by smoothing the surfaces. I forget the option, but I've done it before. Reduced something from several million to tens of thousands of triangles without any noticeable defects.
>>
>>52061414
Can anon provide magnet link to a big breasted lady
>>
>>52064018
Yes I do acually, since I'm a 3D artist
It's called Decimation in ZBrush and Reduce in Maya
I'm just saying that reducing a 16million poly mesh without losing fidelity would get you at what, 40k max? Any lower and you'd lose detail, and since the mesh is usually one unified mesh, you'd be losing finer details if you try to get rid of unwanted tris and poly in places with less detail (like say, the thigh which is a pretty simple shape, would be needlessly dense, as so the density could support the detail apparent in the face or fingers for example)
Plus I tried putting a 16 million poly mesh into Maya, it worked for like, what, 30 seconds, then crashed. But that might be because my computer is relatively potato-like in nature
>>
>>52061850
>botnet wants me to starve

I want to feed you my cum, that face gives me a hardon
>>
>>52061189
It won't die, silly. Who's going to paint it flawlessly once it's printed? The fat and horny neckbeard from America who sickly scoured Japanese imageboard websites for a printable model?
>>
>>52065024
I used to do that for fun back in the '00 - '04 era. It was a lot more fun when you had to think creatively and do everything by hand in order to get a model to move fluently with only 2500 polygons at your disposal. I used Wings3D to model and blender for skeleton / texture.

Also if you're a 3d artist why are you using a potato to work? A powerful rig for dealing with multi-million poly meshes would practically be a requirement to be any kind of competent 3d artist. An ever more competent one would have a second machine or enough parts to build a second rig on hand just to make sure their work flow isn't interrupted for days on end due to a hardware failure.
>>
>>52065818
>Also if you're a 3d artist why are you using a potato to work?

Money
Not being hired yet
Etc

When I get a job then I'll get a new pc
>>
>>52061740
http://myfigurecollection.net/item/9886
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.