[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What stops you from using windows full-time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1
File: huffing pain.jpg (58 KB, 600x656) Image search: [Google]
huffing pain.jpg
58 KB, 600x656
What stops you from using windows full-time?
>>
>>52060679
It sucks
>>
I don't need enterprise software on my home, hobby, computer
>>
>>52060679
boredom. i used it for 15 years and now i want something new.
>>
haven't used windoze in 10 years
>>
Nothing. I use windows.
>>
no decent shell
no package management
even os x has these things either built in or easily added

even os x
>>
I'd have to buy it
>>
The smell.
>>
Linuxfag copying a winfags thread, just like linux copies windows. How original.
>>
>>52061095
relax, you'll feel better
>>
>>52060679
BOTNET
>>
>>52060679
WITNESS HIM
>>
>>52061095
Shit bait
>>
>>52060679
>What stops you from using windows full-time?

I have a part-time job, so I can only use windows part-time unfortunately. :(
>>
Lack of useful dev tools, namely GCC. MinGW and Cygwin just aren't the same in terms of just werks factor. I run a debian VM for those things on my laptop.
>>
third-party source analysis
>>
Nothing. I do.
>>
>>52060679
The fear of being pwned by skiddies
>>
>>52060679
The breeze
>>
Aint nomomz
>>
>windows
>ever
hurr durr muh gaming
>>
nothing could stop me from using windows full time
except windows updates, gotta reboot for those suckers
>>
is 2 spensive
>>
Fear of Windows 10 spontaneously installing itself.
Fear of a flawed OS allowing some fucker with cryptolocker to destroy my business.
Fear of continuing to put off finding workarounds for some Windows only apps.
Watching our token Windows machine on the lan continuously trying to call out to mysterious external IP's.
A dumbed-down desktop environment, targeted towards grandma's and tech illiterates.

A lot, actually.
>>
>>52062211
Lol
>>
>>52060679

I prefer to be able to flaunt my superiority on the technology section of a chinese cartoon imageboard
>>
Nothing actually
>>
only the data collection
I would totally use windows 10 if it was open source
>>
>>52060679
GATHER ROUNDS CUNTS AND CUNTLEMEN. I'M ABOUT TO WRITE THE BLOG POST TO END ALL BLOG POSTS.
I stopped using Windows entirely 6 months ago because it's just a pain to deal with, ie:

• The binaries are stored in weird arbitrary spots.

• The applications can do literally anything they want and only have to prompt for a BUTTON PRESS once. It's not as obvious permissions as a root/unprivileged setup.

• The start menu is useless, I like dmenu more.

• You can't swap out the de for something more lightweight on older systems.

• The applications don't update globally, you have to work out how to update them yourself.

• My games are really laggy compared to most Linux distros. (Yeah yeah I know GAYMER XD but I enjoy a round of css of an hour or four of runescape every now and then)

• The graphics drivers blow, sound management is a hassle at best, often devices just don't work for seemingly no reason and you have to go assign the drivers yourself.

• Windows update on this vanilla install will sometimes popup and consume literally all of my ram and cpu time for no reason, and I can't configure it not to. All I can do is wait for it to finish installing its updates and restart it.

• My main computer is an HP laptop with 2gb of ram, and on a vanilla Windows 7 iso install from those digitalriver Microsoft cdn things, the supposedly holy grail of Windows, 1200mb is already used just by Windows. That leaves under 800mb for caching and applications, and it's just not enough.

It's too clunky, I prefer freebsd or arch linux. I wish there was an easy way to still get a nice computing experience without all the work these two entail, but I LOVE the ability to fine tune everything to how I want my computer to go.
>>
Everything
>>
>>52062377
Good blog post.
>>
>>52062913
Thanks Rajesh, wanna leave a wordpress comment on your gravatar account?
>>
>>52062377
>The graphics drivers blow, sound management is a hassle at best
>implying these things aren't completely worse on linux
o mate i'm laffin
>>
>>52064011
It wasn't ironic actually
>>
>>52064034
sudo pacman -s xf86-video-intel or something and it works perfect
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.