[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: Kids Goes Splat.webm (1 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
Kids Goes Splat.webm
1 MB, 720x404
Post your simple/small/stupid questions here, ONCE.
DO NOT BUMP THE THREAD, You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Read the sticky before posting.
Take at least 10 seconds to google it first.

Redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread

If you have any GNU/Linux related questions, ask in the friendly linux thread
>>>/g/flt
>>
I got a $200 amazon gift card from my grandparents, considering buying an Echo since I've heard good things and the only other things I'd probably buy on amazon is books or anime blurays. Anyone here have one/used one? How is it? What do you most commonly use it for?
>>
What is a good keyboard for android that comes with emoticons? My cousin is looking me with that face and i cant say no to her.

Yet the 2 i have downloaded come with ads which are annoying.
>>
File: Capture.png (4 KB, 345x89) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
4 KB, 345x89
why is it over max
>>
>>52060157
swiftkey
>>
>>52060157
Fleksy
>>
>>52060170
Turbo Boost most likely.
>>
>>52060135
is he kill?
>>
is 4chan botnet?
>>
So my phone screen cracked and now only the top half gets touch response.

Is it possible for me to create a custom keyboard that only stays on the side of the screen that gets touch reception without having to get a custom rom first?
>>
I have my speakers connected to my amp with speaker wire and there is this constant buzzing sound even with nothing playing, on mute it will buzz then be slient for a second and repeat
>>
>>52060216
yes, see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroyuki_Nishimura
>>
So I got $300 in Christmas money in total, and I'm looking to upgrade my GPU. I'm split between getting a 380x and going a bit higher and getting a 970 with the hope of SLI'ing two of them later down the road. Thoughts?
>>
>>52060238
>>
>>52060238
r9 390
>>
>>52060223
SwiftKey allows you to move the keyboard.
>>
>>52060287
I don't think he can get it up top without touching the bottom first.
>>
Is getting a Web dev job without a degree feasible
>>
>>52060251
Another dumb question, would the 600W PSU I currently have be fine for that, or will it be mandatory to upgrade?
>>
>>52060183
Thank you, she is loving it so far.
>>
>>52060315
i'm running one on a seasonic 600w.
>>
I have an old piece of shit computer from 2007 that I need to replace. I'm settled on all the parts except the GPU. I kind of want to wait for Pascal. But I still need something in the meantime. What's a good cheap card to hold me over until then?
>>
>>52060342
Depends on the performance you're looking for.
>>
>>52060342
If you really want to save, onboard graphics are a viable option. You won't be playing much, but it'll work. There really isn't much value in cheap graphics cards.

You could also try to find some cheap AMD card that's been used for Bitcoin mining on Craigslist.
>>
>>52060298
usb OTG mouse
>>
>>52060379
>onboard graphics
Fuck I'm stupid that didn't even cross my mind. I'll go with that.
>>
Reposting

https://mega.nz/#!ItkjyDgb!vdkJR_Sr0vlB6SXijSGceWJtRqwL7IOm4FZpCU7-Xl8

Trying to rip a game's ost using VGM Toolbox from this guide: http://dbxvmods.freeforums.net/thread/137/anyway-rip-voice-files
My problem is that no folder is created at all when draging the .awb file into the blank space for the following steps in that link:

>4 - Drag and Drop the [BIRD_BGM.awb] Into the [File to search] blank space > Screenshot : img15.hostingpics.net/pics/221345Sanstitre1.jpg (embed)

>5 - Wait for [searching string to complete].

>6 - There will be a new folder named [BIRD_BGM_CUT] who contain all the music tracks encrypted in [.hca].

Any way to get around this?
>>
Is it possible to run two version of an app on one phone?
I would like to sign into two separate Snapchat accounts.
>>
How do I get a gf?
>>
>>52060452
sudo apt-get install gf
>>
Hey guys i need a smart phone within the 70-100 pound price range, that can i use to play some vidya and mostly use for social apps, anyone got a idea of a good phone for that?
>>
should i get the latest deathadder or a g502?

i haven't seen anything on /g/ about the g502, and there's nothing about it in the sticky
>>
I've got a MSI r9 390 that reaches ~90C in heavy games on full load with fans at 100% with an S340 as a case(2 exhaust fans included). Will buying more fans fix this problem? Or should I redo the thermal paste.
>>
So if I buy a fan hub and plug it into my Sysfan1 on my mobo that can control a fan will it be able to control all the fans in the hub?
>>
>>52060622
post side view of case in good lighting if you want useful advice

>>52060599
zowie fk2 :^)
>>
>>52060638
it'll control them all, but they'll all be at the same speed. not that that matters because they'd be at the same speed anyway.
>>
Are net books still a thing? Any recs for one?
>>
File: 20151226_001219.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151226_001219.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
>>52060640
Is this good enough? It has 2 slots on the front for case fans that I don't use.. yet.
>>
>>52060662

Thanks bro. I'm not that into specifically setting up my rig. But having my three case fans running max speed is really loud and makes it really cold in my little corner.
>>
File: volume.png (20 KB, 571x345) Image search: [Google]
volume.png
20 KB, 571x345
is there any way to get better resolution? any levels higher than this are uncomfortable to listen to on my headphones
>>
>>52060727
>>52060727
>any levels higher than this are uncomfortable to listen to on my headphones
You are doing something horrible wrong then
>>
>>52060713
i see some dust on your peripheral shields. if your case isn't filtered, you might want to pull the cover off the gpu and see if the heatsink is clogged up with dust.

otherwise try to get a fan on the lowest frontal slot. if the fans are pulling in stale ~26c air that's been circulating down from the top front intake then the heatsink will perform far worse than if it was pulling in ~21c room temp air.
>>
>>52060727
control -> hardware and sound -> manage audio devices -> doubleclick the active device -> levels tab -> adjust slider
>>
>buy fancy new monitor
>everything looks sharp and clear, really impressed
>but everything looks smaller too
>zoom in firefox to see better
>now everything is blurry because that's just a zoom, not really an enlargement
fuck am I just retarded or has everyone had to fiddle with this sort of thing when they change to a different resolution monitor?
>>
>>52060785
The gpu shouldn't be dusty, I got it a week ago. I'm gonna try getting the frontal fans but I'm not sure if that's going to fix it completely. I live in a tropical country and the ambient temperature is about ~31C in the day and ~26C in the night. I dont know if that makes any difference too.
>>
>>52060135
Something is attached to the back of the kid, you can see his hips restraint.
>>
File: driver stuff.jpg (82 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
driver stuff.jpg
82 KB, 540x960
>Get T420 a few days ago
>Install Win7
>Loads of drivers missing
>Only manage to find one of the ethernet
>Try to do Windows update to get them
>Error 8024402C
>Haven't downloaded anything that would block the update (not even any anti-Malware), disabling the firewall doesn't fix it

Have I fucked up?
>>
>>52060842
i live in south florida and my shit works fine, don't you have air conditioning in brazil?
>>
>>52060855
Central American actually. I really need to turn the air conditioner on every time I want to play?
>>
>>52060851
3DP anon.
>>
>>52060851
Also you used a shitty cracking method, i can see this because your updates are blocked.
>>
>>52060877
Thanks, will try.

>>52060891
I was hoping I'd cracked it correctly, although I am new to it.
It seemed to work though, as system information says it's an activated version of Windows 7.
>>
File: Corrupt.png (535 KB, 772x587) Image search: [Google]
Corrupt.png
535 KB, 772x587
So I've encoded the video from it's source, and when I play the output file in VLC/KVM it works flawlessly, but when I drop it into vegas it gets all kinds of fucked up, what do?

Original files are mkv, I'm using avidmux to make them h264 with 2000 bit rate
>>
>>52060941
It just removed the message, it is technically cracked but there are better methods that leave you use windows update normally.

Dont worry about it, you just wont have windows updates.
>>
is there an app for android I can run TOR on that is comparable (in terms of privacy) to the desktop version? would running TOR through a cell phone tower be more or less secure than a home connection?
>>
File: 1354490476650.jpg (273 KB, 674x800) Image search: [Google]
1354490476650.jpg
273 KB, 674x800
Built my first pc today for my son. Everything runs smooth, but fucking Gigabyte brand dual WiFi/Bluetooth card not detected nor can I get driver cd to detect it....fucking my life. Suggestions?
>>
>>52060876
you're looking at a ~20% heat transfer rate improvement between conditioned and unconditioned ambient air. it's a significant issue.

the lower frontal fans are definitely worth doing too though. for like $12 they'll add positive pressure and a better flow geometry.
>>
>>52060951
Ah okay. For reference I used Daz loader as a cracking tool.
Do Windows updates ever do anything really important?
>>
>>52060735
i'm not sure what...
what could i be doing wrong?

>>52060799
thanks that seems to just change the volume slider directly
>>
>>52060154
If you're but buying stuff from Amazon, and using their video and music services, is the echo worth anything at all?
>>
>>52060993
Weird, daz loader should have been enough for it.
No, mostly useless "Security" Updates.
>>
>>52061001
oh sorry you actually needed to scroll down and adjust the "front" slider.
>>
>>52060818
ctrl++
change windows system font settings if those bother you too. i've done it once but unfortunately can't remember where the settings are
>>
>>52060952
pls respond
>>
I have an ipod touch 4g that's cracked and very outdated. I don't want to pay for data for an actual smartphone, so can anyone recommend a cheap alternative that isn't already outdated? I just want to have a music player and something to run apps on. I don't care if it runs android or ios
>>
>>52060987
Alright I'll turn the air conditioner on when I'm playing demanding games. How much should the heat improve with the case fans? The ones I'm getting are around 60CFM.
>>
>>52061009
To be fair, I took that photo prior to running Daz loader. Still not getting updates though.

Also, possibly related to Win7: for some reason it seems like I'm on an older version of 4chan that doesn't allow me to see who replied to posts or post quick replies.
>>
So my roommate just bought me a logitech g13

Any particular reason why it stops working after I restart my computer and have to reinstall the logitech(tm) gaming software(tm)?
>>
>>52061064
Install 4chan X. cc0d fork just werks and configure it.
>>
>>52061076
Running w8.1
>>
File: volume2.png (45 KB, 803x904) Image search: [Google]
volume2.png
45 KB, 803x904
>>52061020
maybe I'm retarded. this is what I get from the sound menu and I can't find the setting you're talking about
this is on a 6 year old macbook on bootcamp if that matters
>>
I can't connect my monitors using a DVI-HDMI adapter and HDMI cables, I've done everything and both monitors keep saying "No Signal"
>>
>>52061110
ah i'm running win7, might be different now. can't help you.
>>
>>52061113
Okay, so I connected the HDMI cable directly to my laptop, and it's working, but I don't know how to connect using a HDMI splitter.
>>
>>52061113
Try them in other devices, like a TV if you have them, or try hooking it up to a display without an adapter if possible. Your card might be fugged, but so might your cables.
>>
File: [fuck] the alligators.png (8 KB, 1039x79) Image search: [Google]
[fuck] the alligators.png
8 KB, 1039x79
>>52060135
What's the easiest way to stream video from your PC to an android tablet?
pic unrelated
>>
>>52061123
See, I managed to get one connected (by plugging it directly into my laptop) but do you have any suggestions into plugging it into a HDMI Splitter?
>>
>>52061118
thanks anyway. yeah it's win 8.1
>>
I got a second HDD for my computer. I know how to install it but is there anything else I have to do to set it up?
>>
>>52061076
you know what. I just restarted again and everything seems to be running fine.

So there's no problem. Probably. Maybe.
>>
File: 1436035166122.png (81 KB, 758x591) Image search: [Google]
1436035166122.png
81 KB, 758x591
>>52061055
>How much should the heat improve with the case fans?
you can't answer airflow questions in a quantitative sense without simulation. i made a pretty picture for you to look at though which should give you a general idea of the problems with your case's airflow and how more front fans could help solve that. understand that it's complete conjecture though and the relative importance of all these different factors is indeterminable.
>>
>>52060599
I find that I get the best experience out of a mouse when it's a perfect sensor mouse. Just find a mouse with a perfect sensor and features/shape you like.

Oh, and make sure you can use it without any BS software.
>>
>>52061147
I guess I should of added a photo.

See, the one on the right is taking VGA at the moment, however disconnecting the VGA cable means both monitors receive no signal, however the HDMI Splitter says both outputs are read
>>
RDS Lite can be used to install new versions of android, right?

I need to fresh install another version of android. That's how you do it, right?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>52061324
I forgot pic
>>
is there a guide to installing themes on linux like those I see in the desktop thread?
>>
File: 1451111245492.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
1451111245492.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Thanks Apple
>>
what would happen if the speed of light was suddenly halved?
>>
>>52061348
Yeah, steal someone's configs and install all the programs they use.
the ones for lo/g/os, the latest /g/ distro failure, should be fairly easy to find.
>>
If I buy a random HDD enclosure off of amazon, say Sabrent, will it not bottleneck or cause massive destructive failure with the drive that's currently sitting in my NAS?
>>
I'm trying to come up with an extremely rugged portable computer. Thinking of starting from a Raspberry Pi Zero.

Is it feasible to just seal the entire thing in a block of silicone or rubber or something? If I were to seal an entire pi zero in something waterproof--silicone or rubber or something--except for the ports, and then put the whole thing in a steel case, would it overheat or break somehow?

Specifications I'm hoping to achieve:
>Completely submersible; fully operational while entirely submerged
>Can withstand an indefinite amount of 8-10' drops onto concrete, over an indefinite period of time, while in the open position
>Can withstand a blow from a 16oz hammer, by an average person, to any exposed surface, from any angle, while in the closed position
>>
For the past week or so my internet has been disconnecting seemingly at random times during the day every couple hours or so. Unless I'm in a skype call, in which case it drops in around 10 minutes.
Everyone in the house is having a similar problem but to a much lesser extent.
I've solved the problem by restarting the router or my computer but those are very temporary solutions.

I'm not even asking for a fix, I just want to know why in the fuck this is happening so I at least have something to google
>>
Rear fan sometimes likes to decide it wants to slow down every few seconds. Noise is annoying. Is it anything to worry about?
>>
Is there anyway to shut off all LEDs on my computer?
>>
>>52061599
Unplug them from the motherboard.
>>
>>52061183
No, it just needs sata and power cables and you're all set.
>>
>>52061625

They're on the motherboard.
>>
>>52061632
Which mobo?

Why do they bother you if they are inside the case in first place?
>>
>>52061582
Actually, watching it more, it seems like it's basically just stopping seemingly at random, but starting up again before it stops all the way.
>>
>>52061638

Um, some MSI thing. 87, or something.

They shine so bright they fill my room with light which annoys me when I try to sleep. My CPU's fan also has LEDs that contribute to the brightness.
>>
>>52061660
Download speccy and run it.

Most cheap motherboards cant turn leds off.
>>
>>52061653

I think the fan is dying. The fan on my heatsink was doing the same thing and eventually got to the point where it would stop and I'd have to spin it like an old timey plane prop to get it going again.
>>
>>52061660
Also dont you mean your case fans?

Why would your HSF haves LEDs? what kind of gayming rig do you have?
>>
I got about $300 total this christmas and I don't really want anything.
Is that enough to build a good pc(if so what build)? I've been wanting one for a while but have never gotten the money together. You can add maybe a hundred to that budget since my bday is in a couple weeks and I'm hoping I get more money. Just an FYI, this would be my first build ever.
Games I would definitely play on it are: CSGO, FFXIV, Skyrim, SFV/GGXRD/BB:CP
It should be able to play those at at least 30 fps, I'd obviously prefer 60 but that's probably impossible with $300. I already have peripherals(mouse, keyboard, monitor).

Please help a poorfag who just wants to enjoy the world of non pre builts
>>
>>52061668
Well, if that's all, I can just pick up a new one. I've had a lot of problems lately so I'm maybe worrying too much. It's a pretty old fan anyway and my PC usually runs cool.
>>
>>52061683

It's just the big ol' $10 Cooler Master fan for my Cooler Master heatsink. I dunno why it has LEDs on it but it does.
>>
>>52060157
> cousin giving you the "Fuck me" eyes
Are you two gonna fug
>>
What are the best resources available to learn and pass MCSA and MCSE certifications? Is there a way to do it without spending hundreds of dollars on books?
>>
>>52061684
The's about enough to get a decent video card senpai
>>
Got a regular Kindle Fire for Christmas. Is there anything I can put on it or do with it to make it not a waste of time?
>>
>>52061835
this, you're looking at ~$600 for a computer at those requirements. maybe besides skyrim, which looks absolutely awful but iirc is somewhat demanding.
>>
>>52061835
>>52061875
Well it's a good start to saving up I suppose.
Do you guys have any suggestions on parts/build? Can I just take one off of logical increments or are those bad?
>>
>>52061934
logicalincrements is a good starting point. in higher tiers it overspends on motherboards, and on your tier you can probably get a cheap corsair psu because your build will be shit anyway, but besides that there's nothing wrong with the options listed there. if you're looking at the "great" category you should try to squeeze a better cpu into your budget.
>>
File: college-degree.jpg (11 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
college-degree.jpg
11 KB, 400x300
Hoping someone could give me some guidance.

I'm pretty sure, 99% sure, I want to work in Networking. Probably Network Security. Bout to finish up my AA and am looking on where to go from here.

Should I continue on to a BS? What certs should I focus on? Is Network+/Security+ enough to get going or should I also go for a CCNA? Should I start looking for a help desk job now or focus more on my education before looking forward?

Any advice would be appreciated.
>>
>>52061988
don't seek a help desk job, build up a github (so employers know you're not a complete piece of shit) and start seeking internships. that's what my friend did and he got an internship at a great netsec firm. internships generally translate into a job, and once you've worked in the industry education doesn't mean much.
>>
>>52061219
Thats a pretty picture indeed. I'm gonna go with the frontal fans for sure. Thank you very much!
>>
My CPU went up to 84C while playing BF4. i5-4690k stock cooler. How bad is it?
>>
who else here threw up on themselves for jesus?
>>
I have a 2TB RAID that degraded one one disk died.

I have since bought 2x4TB disks.

What's the best way of migrating my data from the degraded raid to the new disks?

Should I copy over the data after setting up the raid on the 2x4TB, or should I copy the data to an ext4 on the 4TB, then convert it to raid and let the disks sync?
>>
Will creating a new google account, for my phone help stop the botnet /g/?
>>
Since YTS is down, what are the other good options to download movies? I used YTS cuz you got decent quality and the possibility to add syncronised subs.
But now I'm lost.
>>
>>52062411
k a t . c r
>>
I've heard that Google will not void your warranty if you unlock the bootloader on a Nexus 5x. Will my warranty be void if I purchased the phone from a retailer, and not from Google?
>>
When I start up my computer, for like 2 min 1 fan has this "revving" sound like: weeeeeom weeeeom weeeom weeom weom weomweomweomweowemwemwemwemwemwe.

And it's not the cpu fan which goes up to 2000 rpm at the start. Nor the gpu fans. Cause When I manually put these at 100% duty, the other sound still occurs.

So I believe it's the rear fan, or one of the gou fans.

Either way it only occurs when powering up the pc.
>>
>>52062475
unplug the case fan headers and then start it up to see if it's the gpu fan.
>>
>>52062081
did you OC?

if not, then that's far too hot, even for a stock cooler.
>>
How can I VMware Workstation for free?
>>
So I have three options if I want to keep my GPU working fine with intensive unoptimized stuff without underclocking

1. Keep default automatic fan control, under constant load it reaches 80C and the fans reach 40%

2. Use afterburner, reaches 65C, 65% fan speed (fairly noisy, but I got used to my old fat PS3 being a fucking kasatka)

Which option would be best?
>>
>>52062513
Fuck. I didn't OC. Do you think cleaning the heatsink will fix it?
>>
>>52062513
No it isn't
>>52062081
This is a perfect temperature if you're using a stock cooler.

You should be worried only when it's going into the high 90s.

At that point you probably didn't install your cooler correctly (fucked up with the thermal paste, or didn't seat the cooler correctly).

Don't like it at 84C? Use a non-stock cooler.
>>
>>52063054
For a CPU? C'mon now.
>>
Is a radeon hd 6800 good enough to handle a 144 hz monitor?
What happens if it's not?
>>
>>52063054
I get up to 60 on a stock cooler.
If it's at 80 somethings just wrong.
>>
File: 1451100085023.png (182 KB, 432x720) Image search: [Google]
1451100085023.png
182 KB, 432x720
>>52060135
Is there a launcher that allows for a vertical scrolling homescreen?
Kinda like windows phone or the google now launcher app drawer.
>>
>>52063102
6800 what exactly

I used a 6850 with a 120hz monitor just fine.
>>
>>52063077
It's fine for a CPU.
They're not as delicate as you might think.

Not only have I had CPUs that ran at these temperatures for ages now, I've had a computer illiterate friend who messed up his application of thermal paste, and had the CPU going at 110C for almost 3 years before anything happened. And at that worst case scenario, you should be upgrading every 2-3 years anyways.

>>52063125
With an intel stock cooler? With intel's stock thermal paste?
On a consumer desktop grade i5/i7? (not server grade shit or mobile shit, they run at lower temps on purpose).

If so, you're a lucky guy. Out of the box every i5/i7 should hit 80C on load.
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 850x638) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 850x638
Need to bump up the room in my computer to make space for vidya and I've come to the startling realization that I've never had to do that before.

Do I just need to grab myself an external Hard drive and attach or is there more to it than that?
>>
>>52063169
6850 too, but I've been hearing that if the gpu's not good enough the monitor will just perform like a normal monitor
>>
>>52063218
I would say basically if your GPU doesn't have a dual link DVI-D port or DP or some shit like that. I highly doubt you would have issues there.
>>
>>52063215
room? like physical room?
or do you mean you run out of hard drive space?

grab a new hard disk, plug it in.
be it internal or external, whatever you prefer/want.

look out for the transfer speeds of external hard drives.
and most of the time it's cheaper to buy a normal HDD and a separate external case without HDD.
>>
trying to install arch on a cheap dell laptop with architect

it uses some sort of internal sd card for storage and I'm unable to mount it after choosing to partition it as ext4

what do? is sd card as hdd not possible on GNU/Linux? it had win10 on it
>>
I'm trying to install Windows from a SD card but my computer is not finding it in the boot loader. It just starts normally to Ubuntu and even if i disable boot from HD it just doesn't start.
Any speciall thing i need to do to boot from SD card? I really need to have a fresh install of windows.
Or could i install windows directly from the ISO file i have with Ubuntu? I'm currently traveling in a remote location so can't get a hold of a USB stick.
>>
>>52063302
did you make it bootable?
>>
File: ss (2015-12-26 at 05.13.37).png (57 KB, 639x396) Image search: [Google]
ss (2015-12-26 at 05.13.37).png
57 KB, 639x396
>>52063260
The max on this list is 60 hz, so I assume that's the max it'll display?
I think the monitor will still work, but just not at 144 hz
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VWJb7P pretty set on the case I'm try not to spend more than 350 on this right now I'll be adding a 390 and an ssd in later how can I improve it?
>>
>>52063345
That list is the list of modes available for your current monitor. It will change if you get a different monitor that supports different resolutions and refresh rates.
>>
I've seen that you can "overclock" monitors to get 75hz on some 60hz monitors and such. Which I don't really want to be fair.

Is there a way of actually "underclocking" one of these monitors to 30 or 24hz?

I want to be playing some games at such low framerates because I can't get 60 stable fps without these games looking like shit, but 30 is totally doable and I don't mind 30 stable. Capping them with crimson ain't working for me for some reason.
>>
>>52063310
yes, used startup disk creator.
>>
>>52063365
I see, thanks.
I'll get both eventually so I guess I'll just start with the monitor
>>
>>52063393
Yes. With the same software as well.
It's just setting a value.
Though honestly, I'm not sure if you can half frame rate without any side effects.
>>
>>52063452
Depends on the game. I can get around 60fps with Fallout 4, but some unoptimized shit fluctuates way too much. I also like using vsync for these games because frankly the tearing is real. Basically this is for those "cinematic silky smooth" games.
>>
>>52063474
Ok, so I just tried it with my monitor. It seems like it doesn't want to accept lower than 60, but can go higher than that.

Results may vary.Your monitor may support it.
>>
Does Windows 10 support legacy BIOS mode?
>>
i think my old g400 mouse had had it, it disconnects periodically and i'm pretty sure it's the chord

what should i get to replace it?
bought this 3+ years ago for ~25$ and i was very happy with it
definitely want something with mouse buttons 4 and 5
>>
>>52063506
My work computer has a non UEFI motherboard and I could install it just fine.
>>
>>52063481
Ok, so far I have tested through catalyst and my native resolution won't get 30 or 24, but 1080p at 24 is doable, 30 only interlaced which is a terrible, terrible thing.

Didn't test CRU yet.
>>
Well I'm new to 4chan anyway, byt here's my stupid question. I don't even know if it belongs here. What is desktop thread about. I've kept wondering about it.
>>
>>52063541
You changed your resolution to get a lower refresh rate?

Honestly I didn't think of that, but I tested it again and my monitor still doesn't support it.

But at least you made it work.
>>
>>52063663
people showing off their wallpapers/window themes
>>
>>52063663
Genital comparisons.
>>
>>52063679
Well, what I did specifically was add these modes.

And I tested 1080p24, there's some serious input lag going on there so I think I'm just going to look for a way of using radeonpro with games that aren't eating it up and limiting the framerate instead.
>>
File: modes.jpg (527 KB, 2560x1080) Image search: [Google]
modes.jpg
527 KB, 2560x1080
>>52063761
Fuck me, I forgot pic
>>
>>52063663
showing off desktops and customizing them

like the virtual equivalent to battlestation threads
>>
I'm building a PC for the first time, and I'm basically following the Logical Increments guide at the Great/Superb tier. I'm on a pretty tight budget though and I'm hoping to cut costs by taking the RAM and the Hard Drive from my Envy dv7 and using them. It's got plenty of RAM, and the new motherboard I'm looking at is DDR3 so it's compatible in that way at least. Am I going to be able to do that? I know some things in laptops are designed differently so it might be impossible or a huge pain in the ass to to get it to fit.
>>
File: dimm_vs_sodimm.jpg (60 KB, 590x275) Image search: [Google]
dimm_vs_sodimm.jpg
60 KB, 590x275
>>52063943
only if the laptop uses DIMM sticks and not SO-DIMM.
pic related.

Also unless the HDD is an SSD I wouldn't bother.
Laptop HDDs have low RPM and are fucking slow.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (16 KB, 273x136) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
16 KB, 273x136
So is it good enough to keep for occasional scanning along with Malwarebytes?
>>
>>52064048
windows integrated is good enough on its own.
>>
>>52063977
I wouldn't bother either but I've got no money and I'm trying to get my costs down. I know it's not a GOOD hard drive but it works. I can't really afford a new one so if I can't get the laptop one to work I'm gonna have to go dig the one out of the PC in my garage that came with Windows ME and has like 120 gigs of storage.
>>
>>52063663
posting anime and circlejerking
>>
Any good and cheap routers that can do multiple guest networks with bandwidth limit?
>>
File: 1395147154956.jpg (110 KB, 521x769) Image search: [Google]
1395147154956.jpg
110 KB, 521x769
Cannot compile the realtel driver, no sound! wth is this, not much on google.
USER@linux:~/Downloads/Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa$ sudo make > output.txt
/home/USER/Downloads/Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa/acore/pcm_native.c: In function ‘snd_pcm_file_fd’:
/home/USER/Downloads/Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa/acore/pcm_native.c:1647:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘fget_light’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
file = fget_light(fd, fput_needed);
^
/home/USER/Downloads/Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa/acore/pcm_native.c:1647:7: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast [enabled by default]
file = fget_light(fd, fput_needed);
^
/home/USER/Downloads/Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa/acore/pcm_native.c: In function ‘snd_pcm_lib_mmap_iomem’:
/home/USER/Downloads/Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa/acore/pcm_native.c:3453:26: warning: unused variable ‘runtime’ [-Wunused-variable]
struct snd_pcm_runtime *runtime = substream->runtime;;
^
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[3]: *** [/home/USER/Downloads/Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa/acore/pcm_native.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [/home/USER/Downloads/Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa/acore] Error 2
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/USER/Downloads/Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa] Error 2
make: *** [compile] Error 2
USER@linux:~/Downloads/Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa$
>>
Can you make a virtual router and would it work in the 'real' world?
>>
>>52064390
VLANs?
>>
>>52063393
Can you not set double v-sync or the AMD alternative? Or adaptive v-sync?
>>
File: IMG_20151226_061020.jpg (197 KB, 769x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151226_061020.jpg
197 KB, 769x1280
Is there a name for these little horizontal plates? I want to buy more of them since I lost all of mine.

Searching io shield doesn't work.
>>
>>52064406
I actually tried and FRTC on crimson is finally working for me. There's something weird about these crimson drivers, sometimes using custom profiles for games does jackshit.
>>
>>52064395
Yes
>>
>>52064423
Google "expansion slot covers"
>>
>>52064453
Thank you, PCI expansion slot cover was exactly it. Didn't occur to me at all.
>>
>>52060135
What's the least intrusive (as in installing some random system components/drivers) windows program for monitoring your temps?
>>
Would a GTX 460 be a good dedicated PhysX card (has a broken VRAM as well - artifacts all over the place while on primary) for a 760 main?
>>
Got a 500GB hybrid drive for Christmas.
Cloned my old 250GB piece of shit HDD to this new Hyrbid and gave it a three boots to cache.
Time still seems closer to my old HDD than it should be. Considering resetting Windows 10
I have two questions
1.When I reset, Should I keep my files or do a clean reset? I want to make sure everything turns out good
2.Anything I should do before resetting? Something less drastic I can try? I turned off most startup programs but It still takes a good 80-100 seconds to boot up completely. and if so, Is there a way to benchmark? I don't think defraggler gives me accurate benchmarks due to the nature of a hybrid
>>
>>52060227
Cables not grounded. Use a TS or TRS cable, assuming you're using some other type of cable
>>
What's the best music player for mac? I have to use OSX because I need access to Finale. Need something that's as useful as Foobar2k on windows.
>>
File: quar_core-721904.jpg (41 KB, 406x480) Image search: [Google]
quar_core-721904.jpg
41 KB, 406x480
Can someone post the "Quad core processing" image but with the execption handling error at the bottom?
>>
>>52064558
No.
>>
File: printerproblem.jpg (371 KB, 1068x1641) Image search: [Google]
printerproblem.jpg
371 KB, 1068x1641
my laser printer does pic-related.

do I have to replace the drum or what's the problem here?
>>
Do I need rsyslogd installed on my l00nix system? I personally don't do anything logging related, however some other applications might... Is it safe to disable?
>>
>>52060238
970 sli a shit. save for a 980 ti.
>>52060434
maybe. at the very least you'll need to open up the apk and change the apps' name in the manifest.
>>52060947
did you fall for the 10 bit meme? daily reminder that your monitor only supports 8 bit.
>>52061051
oneplus one
>>52061599
>window case
just don't be such a faggot and this problem will go away
>>52061814
are you able to use a bittorrent client?
>>52061855
check xda
>>52062145
either method should work fine. is there a reason why you didn't buy a third 4tb drive and use zfs?
>>52063215
treesize free
>>52063298
presumably you're talking about mmc and you are having a problem with rpmb, which cannot be read directly and is used for os keys. firstly, stop being a faggot and use the proper arch installer install. secondly, use fdisk to create your partitions on the mmc device and just ignore all the warnings about rpmb.
>>52063393
30 or 24 fps looks like a slideshow. drop your graphics settings instead.
>>52063663
kill you are self
>>52064315
what makes you think that you need to compile this driver? shit like this is already built into the kernel. assuming this this is babby's first loonix, just use mint or xububtu until you know what you're doing.
>>52064390
yes. pfsense is decent
>>
YouTube channels.

I've got 3 YT channels:
- [email protected] - most playlist on this one
- CH1 - empty
- CH2 - minor

Can I create a channel (so I can comment) on this @gmail.com with the name of current CH1 and keep all current playlists of @gmail.com?
>>
>>52064955
Btw merry Christmas, /g/uise. Hope you got what you wanted. :)
>>
Should I root my phone? Will it allow me to store apps on SD card and not get insufficient memory messages that I can't fix?

I also heard that Xperia M2 has some DRM for camera software that makes pics look better, is there any way to keep it?
>>
Can I display my last name before my first name in a Google account? Alan Gee -> Gee Alan?
>>
hi /sqt/
so in the last 24 hours my PC crashed three times. it just rebooted, without any input from me; no beeping, no BSOD, no anything.
after being fairly stable for about a year, two days ago i installed a new CPU cooler, so i was initially worried it might be that, but temps under load never go above 55 C.
is there a way i can look into what is causing this, a log file or something?
>>
>>52064964
I got a rent increase! I'm so happy.

And now fuck off.
>>
>>52065127
>And now fuck off.
I'm not your landlord, why mad bro?
>>
>>52065088
Are you a slav or something?
>>
Is there a better way to stream .mkv files to a Chromecast than Plex ?
I want to watch some local 1080p stuff through Chromecast since my laptop doesn't have hdmi, but it can't handle Plex and transcoding.
>>
>>52065180
Yes, I am.
My Google account isn't named with my real first+last name though. I just want to display it in reverse.
>>
Is there a way of changing your Skype status before logging in, specifically changing your online status to Invisible before you log in.
>>
>>52065215
I don't think so and now even logging in to your outlook/hotmail may change the status to online.
>>
>>52065230
I don't use those two but thank you anyways.
>>
How long is the "muh privacy" and "botnet" meme going to last? Do people adamantly take steps to avoid this? I would like to see someone's perspective on this
>>
>>52065098
You could try looking in event viewer if you are in windows. In my limited experience these symptoms are thermal shutdown or PSU related
>>
I don't suppose anyone has access to ProQuest through their university or such? Trying to get the full text of a dissertation, but our university isn't a subscriber.
>>
>>52061128
Download a decent file manager of your choice, like Solid Explorer. Connect to your PC over LAN in the app and it's literally a case of finding the video and playing it with your media player, again, like MX Player for example.
>>
>>52065251
I don't know enough about it to do anything. I've decided to forget about it.
>>
>>52065251
You're a retard if you think you have nothing to worry about. You people are part of the problem and the reason these memes exist.
>>
>>52065300
Thanks for the response. I honestly don't see the need to constantly obsess over it if you have to take all these steps in avoiding it wherever you go. That's how memes are I guess, they getcha all RILED UP like I AM
>>
>>52065308
>You're retarded
>You People

What reasons do you have to worry about? Zero reasons listed, only anger and further memes. You need to get better at this...
>>
>>52065308
You could go around curing cancer, abolishing all kinds of progression, ending hunger in poor countries, have fair officials instead of corrupt ones, stop data collection completely, stop terrorism and discrimination and all that shit.

But hey since this is not a thing today, then fuck you because since you don't care enough to show the big man that you don't agree with him, you're the problem!

Come back to the real world, buddy
>>
You faggots are trying way too hard to bait, keep to the stupid questions please.
>>
>>52065266
just had another one of these crashes.
however, this time it didn't even get through POST.
what do?
>>
Are changhong 4k tvs any good?

I feel stupid even asking desu
>>
>A few months ago my video card got fried during a thunderstorm
>motherboard does not have its own video
>can't see shit, captain
>get new video card recently
>plug in, boot
>still can't see shit

Windows 10, do I have any chance of booting into CMOS/BIOS to install the video card or am I fucked and need a new motherboard too?
>>
>>52065729
Do you get any signal at all during boot ?
How do you verify that it actually does boot ?
Have you tried a different PCI-e slot ?
Have you tried resetting CMOS ?
Have you tried your new graphics card in a different computer ?
Different graphics card in your computer ?
>>
>>52065729
Have you turned your monitor off and or tried a different display?
>>
File: WP_20151226_13_51_46_Pro.jpg (1 MB, 3072x1728) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151226_13_51_46_Pro.jpg
1 MB, 3072x1728
i have problem with hp probook and windows 10. Since official drivers for windows 10 are not available, and I cant make windows 8.1 or 7 drivers work reliably (shit disconnects every 30 sec) I was thinking of changing wifi adapter modul altogether with something newer.
So if I get a newer wifi modul from newer laptop that has official windows 10 drivers will it work? OR can there be any compatibility issues if the modul is non hp laptop?
>>
>>52065729
Did you connect the additional 6pin connector to your gpu?
>>
Would a 4670K bottleneck a GTX 980 Ti?
>>
>>52065841
Certainly not
>>
>>52065777
>Do you get any signal at all during boot ?
>How do you verify that it actually does boot ?
No idea. No beeps from the motherboard. Just the light coming on.
>Have you tried a different PCI-e slot ?
Only the one slot.
>Have you tried resetting CMOS ?
Can't verify if holding down f2 works or not.
>Have you tried your new graphics card in a different computer ?
Not yet.
>Different graphics card in your computer ?
I only have the previous other card that no longer works. I have gotten it confirmed from a coworkers husband who does computer support.
>>
6 years ago, I graduated college, and my dad got me a prebuilt PC. It actually ran most games very well for awhile!

Anyway, I want to upgrade the graphics card. I've poked around inside and found that the process should be pretty simple for me to do. My concerns are:

1) Is there a limit to what kind of card I can get? (I assume this is dictated by my motherboard maybe?)

2) If I said I had an AMD Radeon HD 5700, would someone be able to tell me the best upgrade I could get?

My processor is still really good, it's just that I can't run most games on medium settings anymore.
>>
>52065778
I only have TVs, no monitors.
>>52065840
Yes
>>
>>52065607
so i managed to get it to boot, and noticed that only one of my GPU's (asus gtx 760) two fans is spinning. could this be it?
>>
>>52065891
Not him but it could be related. If you have a IGP/APU try taking your card out
>>
>>52061556
Buy a new router. If that doesn't solve the problem, return it.
>>
>>52060209

well obv not yet.
>>
>>52065891
On most cards the second fan only activates on really high temps.
>>
I don't plan to OC (at least not right now)

but is it a good idea to buy a discounted i5-4690K for CAD$280 instead of an i5 4460 without a discount (CAD$265)?

My rationale is that I can happily keep the CPU a couple years in the future and just OC it then when I upgrade my GPU.
>>
>>52065831

as long as it has drivers for windows 10, then it will work.

just check the product home page of the product you want to buy before buying it.
>>
my phone basically refuses to load WebM's when I'm on wifi, despite getting nearly 10Mbps speeds, but it will load them fairly quickly on mobile network
My desktop and laptop load WebM's on the same network fine
Anything I can do to fix this?
>>
So my Motherboard only has a single 3 pin male left

and the Fan I want to use has 4 pin female connector

What happens if I try to use that 3 pin with the 4 pin? Will it not work at all or just slower then it should?
>>
>>52065864
Fixed it, I think. We needed both power connections on (sapphire card) but me and my dad (IT worker) were worried that it would over power the card and burn it out. The card didn't come with a paper manual and did not tell us how to access the online manual.
>>
>>52065958
The extra pin is for pwm

It will work fine but at full speed
>>
>>52065958
your pc would would explode
>>
anyone have a link to the win 7 remove upgrade to windows 10 powershell/cmd script? My dad's pc is a bit slow an all that shit that it downloads doesn't help, I'd rather not delete every individual update
>>
>>52065969

>It will work fine but at full speed

you can still control it in bios/uefi.

PWM is just a smarter way of controling the fan.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2004x1907) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2004x1907
I'm going to be installing a new Nvidia card I got tonight, and I need to uninstall old AMD drivers, I was just wondering if I needed to uninstall this option as well, because I have an AMD processor, and I don't know if it has anything to do with it.
>>
>>52065879
You should be able to upgrade to almost any GPU on the market. PCIe x16 is backwards compatible with only minor performance losses. Check your power supply though to make sure it can handle the card you decide you want to get.
>>
>>52066006
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
>>
So I tried a 2006 Macbook's keyboard and it's fantastic. I was expecting to hate it but it's just so comfy to use, I type far faster and with fewer errors than with my desktop's current keyboard.

So now I want an Apple keyboard for my desktop, but the official ones are fucking expensive. Has anyone tried any of the many clones, and are they comparable to the real thing?
>>
Does anybody know why DDU leaves AMD folders on the C drive? I though it was supposed to uninstall all driver related files.
>>
can anyone tell me the ffmpeg command for removing unnecessary audio tracks from a video file, leaving only the video track and one of the audio tracks intact/unchanged? Just to reduce file size.
>>
File: IMG_20151226_162945.jpg (2 MB, 3328x1872) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151226_162945.jpg
2 MB, 3328x1872
>>52065891
turns out
i installed the CPU fan so that it would suck pretty much all the air the case fan was blowing in, causing hot air to stagnate around the GPU, and eventually overheat and shut the system down
putting the fan on the other side seems to have fixed it.

>>52065936
you were right, the fan did start when i put the card under load.
>>
>>52066124
I thought so too. Did you do use safe mode and are they definitely driver related folders?
>>
>>52066164
Yes of course, there are some crimson related files in there but my computer doesn't detect a video card currently so I assume those files are free to be deleted since they aren't used?
>>
>>52065958

No, silly.

Additionally you can connect a 3pin to molex adapter and plug it directly to your PSU.
>>
>>52065937

Yes. Just get the fucking 4690k.
>>
>>52060135
How do I fix/replace the GTK file picker when uploading images through my browser?
>>
>>52065841

Would my dick bottleneck your throat?
>>
>>52066135
map will do that

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Map
>>
>>52066135
Use mkvtoolnix
>>
>>52065963
Some IT worker your dad is if he doesn't know basic shit like this.
Oh and by the way you need to be at last 18 years of age to post on this board.
>>
>>52063516
>>52063516
pls respond
>>
File: Startpage.png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Startpage.png
1 MB, 1366x768
Hi, I made a start page but it has a small problem. The issue is that the page scrolls down even though there is nothing there. Does anyone know what is causing this and how I can fix it?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.