[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If Linux is so good why do they have to give it away for free?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: linux.jpg (196 KB, 590x443) Image search: [Google]
linux.jpg
196 KB, 590x443
If Linux is so good why do they have to give it away for free?
>>
Because RHEL doesn't exist
>>
>>52060117
Becz ye mumz in charge of marketing, and the dumb cunt gives everything up for free,lad.
>>
>>52060117
If you have to ask, you don't belong here.
>>
File: 4L_0eR2otCY.jpg (16 KB, 244x300) Image search: [Google]
4L_0eR2otCY.jpg
16 KB, 244x300
>>52060117
It's a gift. And if linux (or other FOSS) has helped you u should try to give back in someway either by donating ur time (of u are a poorfag)or some money (of u are a rich fag,)

like u can buy t-shirts or a signed photo of RMS at free software foundation,
http://shop.fsf.org

or amazon smile program is where they let u pick a non-profit and they donate to it at no cost to you when u buy eligible items(i did this for FreeBSD Foundation on a recent purchase). Or u can donate money directly,

and or if u are a total poor fag but have some kind of skill most of these organizations need volunteers and maybe u can add some code or write some documentation, fix bugs, donate your time to design artwork etc.
>>
>>52060117
BTFO
>>
in addition to all the excellent arguments here, most of the money in FOSS is in support.
>>
>>52060117
You can buy linux if you want.

https://www.redhat.com/apps/store/server/
>>
>>52060117
because the best things in life are free, like love, oxygen and FOSS.
>>
>>52060589

This will be the stupidest post I've read all year long unless somebody more retarded something which I doubt.
>>
>>52060666

>unless somebody more retarded posts something*
>>
uhm bait
>>
>>52060345
>>52060408
>>52060569
>>52060589
>>52060666
>>52060674
I'm OP and I personally feel like people started using Linux because it costs soo much for companies to buy windows licence for the thousands of servers they have and hence they started using Linux on servers. And it spread on coz of edgy faggots.

I'm a Linux user from 4 years but recently started using OS X and got relaization that Linux is of no use to use it in personal computer. It's a big meme for anything other than server.
>>
Who should I trust?
a) The filthy hippie >>52060589
b) The devil >>52060666
c) None of the above
>>
>>52060859
That's a nice opinion but it's wrong
>>
>>52060117
>people read the news,
>OMG finally p0wn'd linux
>try this for hours on luks password prompt
>>
>>52060666
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpTS4O1nFyc
>>
If Windows is so good, why so they have to pay people to create it?
>>
>>52060859
I'm gonna guess you're 15 years old.
Because that's straight up factually incorrect and you'd know that if you ever set foot inside anywhere that actually uses servers.
>>
>>52060859
using debian for the last 5 years.

>Me be a power user

Enjoy using it as a non user yet do whatever i want.

Server power with a GUI.

Seems about right. I use GUI because I can be a lazy cunt and not give a fuck about /g/ opinions.

>G tards be mad.
>>
>>52062811
I have seen ether windows server 2008 - 2012 or RHEL 6/7 for servers in the real world.

The kernal can be modulated for more retarded users but don't joke about linux or the distro based on it of not being best as a server.

Linux desktops and linux servers are the same fucking systems just one has almost no GUI or eye candy package managers.
>>
>>52062811
too retarded; Didn't read.
>>
>>52060117
OSX is the only good UNIX environment
>>
>>52060117
ok
>>
>>52060117
My rajesh sense is tingling, gee, who could be really behind this elusive post
>>
If water is so good why can you get it for free?
>>
Because it's so terrible that they have to give it away else nobody would touch it.
>>
>>52060117
>What is security through obscurity?
>Who is Auguste Kerckhoffs?
>Who is Claude Shannon?
Go back to school.
0/10
>>
>>52063707
but coffee is better

get it?
>>
>>52063781
Finally
/thread
>>
>>52060117
>from the community for the community
>foss in a nutshell
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.