[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Internal Hard Drive Wars: Seagate Sucks Slightly Less Editions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
Now that Seagate isn't entirely garbage, why are we not exclusively buying HITACHI and HGST drives?
>>
>>52059691
that's an interesting chart. backblaze's usage is typically a lot different from consumer usage though right? i think they just write data to the drive and then let it sit idle until their backups need to be rebuilt.
>>
From personal experience, seagate, and particularly WD drives have been very quiet, which is appealing for me. Also, i have a nas backup so im not too concerned about failures.
>>
Daily reminder that the new WD Blues are rebranded Greens (5400RPM). No more will the perform neck-and-neck with the Blacks, like the EZEX did.
>>
>>52059834
you're only using your hard drive for media storage anyway right? it's 2015. who doesn't have at least a 500gb ssd?
>>
>>52059691
>HGST and Hitachi
They are literally the same fucking shit.
>>
>>52059848
My battlestation and laptop don't have Solid State Drives, but im looking for a general backup that will not die on me like the seagate did on my buddy.
>>
>>52059923
>battlestation
howdy reddit :)
>>
I have the following:
2x Hitachi 1TB since 2009, they always made interesting screeching noises and are loud, but they still work fine
Samsung 840 pro 128GB, it just werks
1TB external 2.5" seagate for half a year, it works fine
Some old ones:
45MB seagate, has some known bad sectors but works like it should
Seagate 2GB medalist, if I don't use it for a long time it's stuck on the first boot, after that it works fine. Also REALLY loud.
60GB toshiba died, it just won't turn on at all.
80GB WD became slower and slower for some reason
Maxtor 10GB: loud but works
Seagate 10GB, apparently an XBOX HDD: works fine and really quiet
Maxtor 20GB: works fine
WD 500GB died of dead sectors but I had the opportunity to save all the data
>>
>>52059927
>howdy reddit
>implying reddit and 4chan are not the same thing
>implying half of /g/ isnt /v/
>implying there isnt a battlestation thread on /g/ right now
>>
>>52059969
>mfw redditors call bumps "upvotes"
>mfw redditors call sages "downvotes"
>mfw redditors call anons "4channers"
>mfw redditors call exploitables "memes"
>mfw redditors call ms paint comics "ragecomics"
>mfw redditors think /r/4chan is an accurate description of this site
>mfw redditors bring their unfunny shit here
>mfw redditors seriously think most anons lurk their shitty site
>>
>>52059984
͏>mfw redditors can't blacktext
>>
>>52059984
>>52060003
>>52060008
>>52060001
This is just the same trick used to triforce
>>
>>52059691
Because Toshiba's PH3400 and PH3500 are as fast as WD Red Pros, have faster seek times than WD Blacks, share components from enterprise-grade HDD (since it's made in the same factory), and costs the same as a WD Black 2TB/3TB respectively.
There is literally no reason not to get one before they go out of stock.
>>
>>52059691
>why are we not exclusively buying HITACHI and HGST drives?

Price. If you back data up drive failures don't matter that plus a warranty makes Seagates ok to use literally 1/2 the price.
>>
>>52059834
fugg so blue will die quickly now.
>>
>>52060037
Don't bother watching this, there's only that stupid banana.
>>
Does HGST even make consumer drives? Only seen NAS and up.
>>
>>52060705
>https://pcpartpicker.com/part/toshiba-internal-hard-drive-ph3400u1i72
>https://pcpartpicker.com/part/hitachi-internal-hard-drive-h3ik40003272sp
>https://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st4000dm000
http://hdd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Seagate-Desktop-HDD-4TB-vs-HGST-Deskstar-NAS-4TB/1598vs1971
http://hdd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Toshiba-MD04ACA400-4TB-vs-Seagate-Desktop-HDD-4TB/3202vs1598
Price difference is not even that large anymore, and yet look at the differences in performance
>>
We don't have any HGST HDDs here In my third world shithole and all of the HGST shilling they have been doing on teksyndicate got me thinking on starting a business selling their HDDs.
>>
>>52059834
>new WD Blues are rebranded Greens

no they're not.

5400 and 7200 RPM Blues both still exist. You just have to read the small print now.

They're probably getting rid of green because it's complcating the inventory.
>>
>>52059691
Whats the point of this graph? Is it the failure rate of all the hardrives from those manufacturers? Seems pretty pointless to me.
>>
>>52061290

It's just blackblaze being blackblaze
>>
seagates got bad after the asian tsunami... their quality control went through the floor. they are good again now though..
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.