[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Portable Linux.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: rel.jpg (45 KB, 525x700) Image search: [Google]
rel.jpg
45 KB, 525x700
So, /g/ my sister got me this for Christmas, because "hey anon, you're into computers, right?" and I've thought up a use for it.

I want totally portable Linux.

Basically, since this fucker fits in my pocket, I want to see if this is possible. I just wanna plug it into some random computer and have it work, any tips for doing that? I'm tempted to go Arch Linux, but I'm not sure if that's what I want or if that's the exact opposite.

Also, because this would be pretty easy to steal, I'd like to protect it as best I can, is there anything I can do beyond full disk encryption?

And fuck... I might as well ask, is the thing actually even any good? I know you can get some pretty shit hard drives, and I'm not too familiar with the brands.
>>
>>52059490
booting from USB is pretty easy as long as you can get to the boot order in the bios.
>>
>>52059490
Post your sister
>>
Best is to have 2 partitions. NTFS first, linux/extX whatever second. Windows gives up if the first partition isn't recognized so this way you get a portable hard drive with a linux bootable on it.

>saw arch linux meme
no go with ubuntu and go through its installation, partition the drive as above then it will pretend it is a regular hard drive. make sure you set the boot flag correctly if it doesn't.

seagate and WD are fine just remember if the drive fails it may have only been the bay and interface board and not the drive. Unless it is one of those with the permanently soldered ones in which case you are fucked.
>>
The only issue you might have with just doing a normal full install on it is that by default most distros use UUIDS to define boot drive but that might (read: will) change when you put the drive in a new rig

You could use normal device names like /dev/sda1 instead but those can vary from device to device as well.

In my opinion it'd be best/easiest to just like put an UBangro live image on it and have a second partition for storing files or use one of the tools to make persistent storage available to your live image (I think unetbootin can do this)
>>
Don't listen to this guy. >>52059539
Arch would be pretty good as long as you have drivers. Ubuntu is just bloated, not making it ideal for a portable system. You want something fast since you are working over USB 2.0, even 3.0 can be slow. I wouldn't recommend installing Linux on a portable drive though. I've had bad experiences with it. Also, are you planning on using it for just on computer, or like an on the go any type of pc OP?
>>
>>52059517
>>52059490
>>52059539
>always booting the OS from USB2
Really stupid idea
Get an USB stick for your portable linux, but don't use it for everyday use
>>
File: 1450843127594.jpg (11 KB, 171x171) Image search: [Google]
1450843127594.jpg
11 KB, 171x171
>>52059607
>Ubuntu is just bloated, not making it ideal for a portable system.
You are this retarded
>>
>>52059688
I didn't know if this was a 2.0 model, every portable harddiskar since 2012 that I've seen purchased was 3.0

>>52059701
most arch turds are near-portamentaus of amiga spergs in that they are on 2005 hardware
>>
>>52059688

USB 2.0 vs 3.0 for live CD doesn't matter. The read/write speeds of the OS will be significantly lower than usb 2.0 after the OS is loaded anyway.
>>
>>52059526
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.