[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What stops you from using linux full-time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: hyatt-avatar.jpg (177 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
hyatt-avatar.jpg
177 KB, 500x500
What stops you from using linux full-time?
>>
Nothing
>>
>>52058218
Spite
>>
I have to use dumb shit like my*lab that requires flash and I'm not gonna taint my Debian install with flash, so I virtualize wangblowz
>>
>>52058233
this.

now fuck off.
>>
Nothing.
>>
>>52058233
/thread
>>
>>52058218
MS Office
decent google drive client
Illustrator/Photoshop
>muh games

I'm being honest here, I'd really like to use linux only, but I just can't.
>>
Shitty driver support and no possibility to set per-monitor DPI scaling (my laptop is high-dpi and requires scaling, but my external monitor is just 1080p).

Windows 10 can do that, linux can't.

Other than that, not much. I sometimes use Excel for various shit because it came free from my school, but I guess it's basic enough that libreoffice could do it as well.
>>
File: P1070923 (Custom).jpg (963 KB, 3000x2006) Image search: [Google]
P1070923 (Custom).jpg
963 KB, 3000x2006
>>52058218
No Lightroom/Photo Mechanic support, doesn't play nice with Canon WFT devices or the BGAN antenna from work, and worst of all it can't run Starcraft 2.
>>
>>52058289
>proprietary bullshit
>proprietary bullshit
>proprietary bullshit
>proprietary bullshit

Do those really qualify as excuses anon?
>>
>>52058218
because i built my PC to play games

and linux doesn't do that
>>
>>52058308
if you need them for a specific task, yes. Even a plumber relies on shit.
>>
>>52058297
it's free software, start developing the feature yourself
>>
CAD/CAM.
>>
I got a Mac for Christmas.
>>
>>52058338
why should I if there's already something that does what I want?

I have better things to do
>>
>>52058218
Being normal
>>
>>52058357
y-you don't dedicate your life to developing free software?
>>
>>52058338
Attitudes like this are what turns people away from Linux.
>>
>>52058332

Nobody "needs" to use proprietary software. A plumber that relies on restricted tools that take away his freedom is not going to be in business for very long. Furthermore that plumber is probably a poor decision maker if he chose to use those tools in the first place.
>>
>>52058374
But, what if the non-restricted tools don't get the job done?
>>
>>52058218
Because I can do everything I want on windows.
>>
Sometimes I use Illumos or OpenBSD.
>>
>>52058218
My mac. I would use linux full time if it weren't so difficult for Apple not to make a POS laptop.
>>
>>52058374
Nice bait
>>
>>52058357
yes and that something takes away you freedom
>I have better things to do
fapping to waifus isn't better anon

>>52058371
>waah i don't want to learn how this thing i use every day works or contribute to it at all in any meaningful way whatsoever
attitudes like this are what turn people away from YOU
>>
>>52058397
Then that sounds like a fake problem. You may want to second guess yourself and consider whether or not the job was meant to be done in the first place.
>>
>>52058374
no I mean the "shit" as in literal shit. it's the environment that asks for that application, not because it's the best tool, but because your boss says so. Not everyone is a business owner, and breaking from the office workflow with different tools to improve your own can often slow down a project more than the time you personally save.
>>
>>52058420
Except I know how *nix works and I've contributed to open source projects. But I can empathize with people who don't want to constantly battle with their operating system unlike spergs such as yourself
>>
>>52058432
Be a leader, not a follower. Doing something harmful just because an authority figure told you to is the reason why bad things happen to good people.
>>
Enterprise software engineer. I write in C#. I also game a bit in my free time and most aren't compatible with Linux,
>>
My preferences
>>
File: 0q1JFl0.jpg (125 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
0q1JFl0.jpg
125 KB, 1024x576
>>52058297
>>
>>52058218
I neither need to nor want to.

It's basically as simple as that.
>>
>>52058468
>But I can empathize with people
see that's why you don't understand these people. they can empathize only when the result is agreeing with their opinions. This often isn't just limited to technology, My programmer friend operates in that "my personal usecase the only usecase" mindset. He actually has high functioning autism
>>
>>52058308
Since I work with other people, yes.
At my firm, we're trying to go all FOSS and self hosted for cloud services (we were using GoogleApps for Business), and its a pain in the ass.
So far we have Seafile for cloud storage and sharing, Jitsi for audio/video conference, and some XMPP server for text messaging. We use PGP for email encryption.
We still have to migrate emails and collaborative office suite.
Needless to say that it takes a lot of work to set up and that it's less reliable than GoogleApps. Since emails are a highly critical service, the only one open to the exterior also, I don't even know if we'll ever take the risk to migrate this, as for a collaborative office suite, we have yet to find a complete one (on-par with Google Docs, not MS Office because that's just impossible).
Even if we succeed, the whole thing will be less efficient than GoogleApps since services won't communicate with one another as well as in GoogleApps.

But if anyone knows about a OpenSource alternative to GoogleApps, we're all in.
>>
>>52058468
i can empathize too but for every one of those people there is a fatass computer nerd who had to toil for a long time just to get those shitty ass buttons to work in whatever shitty program people are trying to use

that person busted their ass so normies could have a good time and they're all ungrateful fucks because proprietary software encourages them to be, but it doesn't have to be like this
>>
File: 1356123805757.jpg (338 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1356123805757.jpg
338 KB, 1280x720
>>52058500
>>
>>52058308
>What stops you from using linux?
>lol, that's all proprietary, you don't need any of it

Fuck off you worthless freetard.
>>
Shit UX
>>
>>52058485
it's not harmful from my personal perspective, the company's perspective, or the public's perspective for the vast majority. It's just not a glass box you can peer into and see all the parts move around, and that will always be enough to bother people
>>
>>52058218
vidya
>>
File: 1367081650951.jpg (34 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1367081650951.jpg
34 KB, 413x395
>>52058218
I need to use Windows to remote into my work computer. I also have certain games that won't run on Linux. That's it though. I have them both installed and I use Linux most of the time :)
>>
>>52058516
>>52058524
So most Linuxfags are autists who browse /r9k/. This doesn't come as a surprise.
>>
>>52058560
yes and most winfags are little kids who browse /b/, are you really just learning this?
>>
>>52058218
I could say nonexistent hardware support, near constant regression, shoddily designed interfaces and downright awful power management.

But in the end, Linux will never be comfy. Linux will never be drinking some hot cocoa by the fireplace in your jam jams comfy. Using Linux is more like frantically patching up a septic tank line that just burst. Wading among the piss, blood, and shit looking desperately for a solution.
>>
>>52058544
Then maybe you and all those other people shouldn't use computers if you can't adequately consider the ethics of using one.
>>
Because you have to try 100 different combinations of distro and window managers before finding something that isn't complete shit

Anybody who isn't a NEET ain't got time for that
>>
>>52058585
>he thinks I'm a winfag
>>
>>52058591
>I could say nonexistent hardware support, near constant regression, shoddily designed interfaces and downright awful power management.

Why are you describing OS X when responding to a post about Linux?
>>
>>52058591
>Using Linux is more like frantically patching up a septic tank line that just burst. Wading among the piss, blood, and shit looking desperately for a solution
this is very accurate. despite how bad it always gets, fixing it always gives you that extra pride in your work for the difficulty. I think that might play a factor in people's choice to use Linux at home
>>
>>52058308
>>proprietary bullshit
>>proprietary bullshit
>>proprietary bullshit
>>proprietary bullshit
thank you for illustrating why the year of Linux will NEVER happen
>>
>>52058635
That's probably why people choose to use tiling WMs. They don't increase productivity, they make people feel more productive. I've never met a person who uses a tiling WM to do anything productive at all.
>>
>>52058289
https://www.wps.com/linux or Office on Wine
GNOME Files 3.18 + GNOME Online Accounts 3.18 or Mega with 50gigs gratis and a native sync client Linux and mobile
Krita + Inkscape or Photoshop on Wine
Steam, GOG, Humble Bundle etc.
>>
>>52058656
Except it already happened more than a decade ago, you just didn't notice it.
>>
>>52058678
>psycho neckbeard thread now in session
>>
>>52058698
>autistic winfags can't accept the truth, as usual
>>
>>52058678
Linux is successful on routers, servers, and industrial devices where it belongs. It is by no means a proper desktop OS.
>>
Vidya senpai.
>>
>>52058736
what about smartphones?
>>
>>52058736
Neither are windows or OS X but people still use those anyway.
>>
File: e.png (286 KB, 410x500) Image search: [Google]
e.png
286 KB, 410x500
>>52058726
>>
>>52058783
10/10 good meme
>>
I grew up with windows, and Windows is used in the real world more often than not. I also need it for CAD/Solidworks, etc.
I only really use linux for servers and sometimes a dual boot on a laptop for C programming.
>>
no driver support for my obscure tv card
limited support for various games that i enjoy
no foobar2000
>>
>>52058830
>Windows is used in the real world more often than not

people are also mouthbreathers more often than not, doesn't mean you should be like them.
>>
>>52058591
I'm this guy >>52058521
Sadly, it's kind of true.
Some company should really try to develop and sell linux for the masses.
I don't know how the business model would go though, maybe a monthly fee that gives you access to the official repos with commercial grade support.
I don't know if it's possible to avoid other people from mirroring your repos, though.

>>52058676
>https://www.wps.com/linux
No pptx, which is kind of a big deal, but thanks.
>Wine
Yeah... I've tried it, using PlayOnLinux even, but the performance even on my gaming rig makes it tedious to work with. GUIs in general run slower in linux. I've put some money into my desktop and it's kind of annoying having to put up with bad perfs because of half assed solutions or bad implementation.
>GNOME Files 3.18 + GNOME Online Accounts 3.18 or Mega with 50gigs gratis and a native sync client Linux and mobile
I'll try this, but I fear it may not be as practical as Google Drive... I've synced my keepass database on it and have RW+ access to it from my phone and laptop. Don't know if this works with Mega or Gnome Account, plus the Google Docs integration.
>Krita + Inkscape
Inkscape is cool, I find Illustrator more handy though. Maybe I'll switch to this when I can really stop using Windows.
>Steam, GOG, Humble Bundle etc.
Gaming on Linux is growing, yes.
>>
>>52058853
So you're saying that the only reason to use Linux is being a special snowflake?
>>
>>52058903
>Some company should really try to develop and sell linux for the masses.I don't know how the business model would go though, maybe a monthly fee that gives you access to the official repos with commercial grade support.
it wouldn't matter, people would complain it's not open source for free
>>
It's not comfy
>>
>>52058923
People complain for everything, but in the end, they still end up paying for it.
>>
>>52058923
Back in the 90's most successful Linuxes were commercial. Red Hat, OpenLinux, and SUSE are a few examples.
>>
>>52058819
Just like linux ;)
>>
>>52058908
that's what you got from my post?

you're right, just stick to windows then.
>>
>>52058966
I don't use Windows, faggot
>>
>>52058983
then fucking kill yourself for interrupting my discussion with the windows faggot.
>>
The fact that there's always something breaking down, not working, buggy, or incompatible, whereas Win7 does everything I want it to do and I'm accustomed to it.

I use Kali now and then for cracking WPA but that's about it.
>>
If there was a distro with a nice theme, some good preinstalled drivers(audio, andwacom) and tools to manager packages, and my art tools then I would switch to linux. everything seems to take so long to set up right now...
>>
>>52058218
THE RAPE CULTURE.
>>
I do though.

I even have an ubuntu meme phone.
>>
>>52058218
applications that are not avail. or alternatives that just don't werk.

Find sticking to Windows as my main and Linux daily driver on VM a better solution for me.
>>
>>52058218
Nothing, my server is running 24/7/365.
>>
Because I appreciate my time and don't want to loose it fixing/tweaking stuff
>>
Linux for desktop is a piece of shit! Put it in the head, freetards! Windows and OSX still the best systems for desktop.

Now, if we talk about servers, then yes, Linux and *BSD are the best options.
>>
>>52058218
hobbies
>>
Sleep
>>
Terrible audio support, in terms of drivers and software.
>>
>>52058853
I like to think operating systems are much like programming languages where they should be used as tools. Sure you could write a binary parsing program in both C and python, but C is more suitable for the job then python. In my case, windows is more suitable for my every day needs, whereas linux is better for my server needs. Simple as that.
>>
>>52058218
Bitches on my dick, no time for timesink OS.
>>
>>52059194
>shit software that attacks your freedom
>suitable for anyones needs

no
>>
>>52059512
>not programming your own shit for windows
Freetards confirmed for not even knowing how to program, so whats the point in wanting open source software?
>>
Driver support, nvidia/optimus.
>>
At work - nothing.
At home - vidya games.
>>
>>52058218
It's reliance on the terminal. The lack of easy software installation. FUCKING PACKAGES BULLSHIT. That about covers it.
>>
>>52058218
Back when I last gave it a real shot, it was because of the lack of printer support.

Now it's because so many things I absolutely rely on for my classes and my university's specially coded websites, are proprietary garbage that I'm sure won't work on windows xp right, let alone Linux.

Also gaming and some specialty programs I've gotten used to for my workflow.
>>
Photoshop
Shitty file picker (lel no large thumbnails)

>inb4 use Wine
>inb4 use this patch and recompile Gnome
>>
>>52058218
muh games
>>
>>52058218
I like free as in freedom software and Linux doesn't have any worth a damn.
>no MPC-HC
>no MeGUI
>no Avisynth
>>
Compatibility with proprietary windows software. Yes I've tried wine.
>>
>>52059641
>The lack of easy software installation.
>how do i use a package manager
>>
>>52058218
the fact that Wine is a burning trainwreck
>>
>>52058218
>>There isn't a decent DAW for both Music Production and Live Performance that has low latency and full vst, MIDI controller suppport.
>>I'm playing pre 2012 games and setting up linux for games seems tedious.
>>I've never used Linux before and i'd rather stick to Win 7/10 than getting caught in a meme distro following /g/'s advice.
>>I want to spend more time doing things on my PC than setting it up.
>>
>>52058218
Games
>>
File: UxJJws3.jpg (188 KB, 600x709) Image search: [Google]
UxJJws3.jpg
188 KB, 600x709
league of legends
>>
>>52058521
I think zimbra collaboration suite is open sourced. Zimbra started out as an exchange alternative that used a real DB (MySQL) instead of the shitty built in one that exchange used to use (jet engine DB). Don't know when they started tacking in apps, but it probably started after the webmail content went full JavaScript
>>
>>52060671
You can play it fine on like any distro though dude.
>>
I don't really know. I might buy another SSD for my Windows install and run Linux on my current one.

The only game I play now is CSGO and that's already on Linux
>>
File: 4L_NzzEg5pM.jpg (251 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
4L_NzzEg5pM.jpg
251 KB, 1280x800
>>52058218
Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

I'm thinking about trying to switch to gimp and Inkscape though.
>>
File: 4L_jRMtkq6q.jpg (21 KB, 397x265) Image search: [Google]
4L_jRMtkq6q.jpg
21 KB, 397x265
>>52059641
>no being intelligent enough to use the CLI
>>
>>52058218
Lack of decent music production software. Some stuff is okay but most of it is utter shit. I'm currently writing my own instrument plugin in an attempt to remedy the situation a bit
>>
>games
>vegas
>misc small issues that prevent me from running it on my desktop
>native skype having 0 features and crashing all the time
>>
>>52058338
This requires the average Linux user to have 10 years of coding experience
>>
File: uhFace.jpg (3 KB, 112x125) Image search: [Google]
uhFace.jpg
3 KB, 112x125
>>52060691
how?
and I hope the new launcher will support linux or will be easier to setup since it is not based on adobe cuckery
>>
>>52060898
You can just run it through Wine and set all the prefixes and junk up yourself.
Or you can DL playonlinux and install it through there which is pretty retard-proofed. Just remember to install all the 32-bit libraries you'll need if you don't have them already.

Everything works, though the shop can be slow.
>>
Not a good catalogue of photo management/editing software that can handle RAW well.
>>
direct x
>>
File: senpaikawai.png (448 KB, 940x1078) Image search: [Google]
senpaikawai.png
448 KB, 940x1078
>>52060911
thanks anonine
>>
Just general user experience hitches every time you want to do something more complex than opening a web browser.

>Plug in USB MIDI keyboard to Windows machine
>Windows automatically routes the sound through their built-in software synthesizer
>It just werks

>Plug in USB MIDI keyboard to Linux machine
>Have to manually install a software synth
>Have to manually set up rules to route sound from keyboard to synth, then back out to audio
>Have to manually set it up so this happens on boot
>Have to manually modify the rules when I want sound to go to a different output

There's just too many "edge cases" with Linux, even with distros like Ubuntu that focus on ease of use over all else. I can get away with it on my laptop where I browse the web, watch TV, or occasionally SSH into a remote server, but I'd never be able to use Linux full time on my workstation. I just keep that shit in a VM.
>>
Because I actually do work

>inb4 the age old bait about how GIMP is better than Photoshop
>>
terminal necessity
cant browse to a site and double click a file to install vast majority of programs.
muh games
stability of various distros worse than windows (through my own experience with gentoo, mint, ubuntu, red hat (before EOL), fedora, and mandrake.)
networking with windows machines was still too much of a pain (last tested trying to get plex able to communicate with shared drives on windows 7 machine and it was a pain.)
video drivers are shit. x crashing all the time on gentoo.
various other reasons i wont bother to list
>>
>>52061075
>cant browse to a site and double click a file to install vast majority of programs.

I don't know how someone can use that many distros and still end up preferring manual installers over package management. I mean everything else you said it right, but package management is one of the best things about Linux. You don't even need to go to the site for the software, you just search and install it in seconds.
>>
>>52058346
Macfag
>>
Nothing, I already are fulltime running Linux
>>
File: 1359695702622.jpg (15 KB, 475x360) Image search: [Google]
1359695702622.jpg
15 KB, 475x360
>try linux desktop every couple years just to see if it's still a complete joke
>search for most babby "it just werks" distro possible to give linux every advantage it can have
>clear partition space on spare laptop i have for troubleshooting
>download absolute newest stable 2015 mint iso and put on USB drive
>boot into mint installer
>doesn't recognize any of the partitions and the only option is to wipe the whole HDD
>wonder if something went wrong with the HDD
>boot it with an 8 year old windows 7 iso
>it recognizes all the partitions just fine
>search for problem
>get this: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/167857/windows-partition-not-appearing-when-i-try-install-linux-mint

>2015
>linux can't even handle basic partition recognition and has zero fault tolerance if something isn't perfect

Guess that's what I get for trusting hobby software. I'll give it another chance in another three years maybe. Though I doubt it'll be much better.
>>
>>52061475
>Run into obscure, incredibly rare bug
>LINUX ISN'T USABLE ON THE DESKTOP!
okay
>>
>>52058521
But libreoffice is better than ms office. Or is the cloud feature you are looking for?
>>
>>52061497
>>Run into common, incredibly widespread bugs daily
>>LINUX IS USABLE ON THE DESKTOP!
Okay.
>>
>>52061515
I'm incredibly impressed by your single anecdote, and your ability to copy-paste text.
>>
>>52058218
School (I have to use Adobe programs such as Premiere, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop etc.) and occasional gaming.
>>
>games
>shitty graphics drivers
>inb4 Steam, GoG, Wine
Can't play games that require more than DX9. I wish I could switch, I hate how I can't customise Windows.
>>
>>52058233
This
>>
>>52058218
ChromeOS is linux i guess
and yeah nevermind
>>
>>52058218
who is autist enought to use loolnix full time? weabshits i think

its great for servers
great for leaving in a dark room until it dies
just like its regular users
>>
>>52062952
goodnight
>>
>>52058591
this is exactly my experience
>>
>>52058218
Microsoft, fucking, Office
>>
>>52063062
>being a secretary
>>
world of tanks framerate is 60% lower in wine, unplayable in vm
>>
>>52058332
>Even a plumber relies on shit.
golden words, anon, golden
>>
Thanks to the "power management" of GNU/Linux my battery died.
Thanks /g/.
>>
>>52058218
If Windows didn't have a chokehold on being the No.1 gaming platform, then this wouldn't be an issue.

Unforturnately, most games require DirectX and not OpenGL, sadly. Had DirectX not have taken off, then maybe I would have jumped ship by now.

But there's also the fact that essentially no-one plays games on Linux anyway, and the driver support is just abysmal.

Gaming on Linux is growing, but it'll never be as good as the king of proprietary bullshit......and that hurts to say.
>>
>>52058233
/thread
>>
I did for 6 years.

The past 2 years I run Windows because I was sick and tired of wasting my time and fucking around with shit rather than accomplishing anything in the real world.

Finishing college and getting a job makes you re-assess how you spend your free time.
>>
Every other day I boot Windows for gaymin. That's it.
>>
>>52061475
>try windows installer
>wont even install to a second partition as UEFI
>have to fully wipe my disk, install it first, then linux
>it creates 5 extra partitions, system reserve shit and clutters my folders with random half-hidden files
>it wont recognise ext drives and only just got gpt support recently

ughhshdfkasdasad
>>
>>52058766
>Desktop
>What about smartphones

really m8...

>inb4: Lumia 950
>>
Actual professional software
>>
>>52061047
>Because I actually do work
GIMP is better than photoshop m8
>>
drivers
>>
File: bait10.jpg (69 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
bait10.jpg
69 KB, 1000x1000
>>52065218
>>
>>52065226
guys, this is bait
>>
File: tipsfedora.jpg (116 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
tipsfedora.jpg
116 KB, 1252x1252
>I use GNU/Linux fully to watch my weebshit cartoons and shitpost on /g/
>>
>those spergs w/ excuses
Linux is garbage. G A R B A G E.
People only use it because it's free and because they can shitpost about it on this fucking cancerous board.

No good software exists of Linux. It's a timesink for neet nerds who want to circlejerk in desktop threads.

Once you grow up, you'll realize I am right. Windows is better for work.

Yes, deep down you know I'm right. Stop making excuses, don't even bother replying.
>>
Stability. It's easy as fuck to break something that needs heavy googling to fix

Elitism. Linux users often look down on anyone who asks basic questions.

Distro wars. No one needs so many of them. i's better to create one but to improve software to easily switch into themes and looks and behaviors of distros at the market

Lack of good UI designers. Default Linux is *mostly* very, very ugly. This is the most subjective point though.

Lack of software.

It's amazing for servers but as a desktop it's still in cradle-tier
>>
>>52058218
unsupported network devices
video games
>>
File: 1419988576570.jpg (234 KB, 688x1434) Image search: [Google]
1419988576570.jpg
234 KB, 688x1434
>>52065347
>>
>>52058218
I'm not a gross neckbeard.
>>
linux doesn't see my 5.1
realtek drivers don't compile
>>
cuz it sucks for desktop
>>
>>52058308
There are free games.
>>
>>52058218
Nothing, I use it 95% of my time.
The 5% is working in Unity because of job and uni, and playing games that doesn't work on Linux.(I couldn't figure out how to run VNs in wine and virtual mashine in seamless mode works pretty well)
>>
>>52058261
Can't you like uninstall shit from your Debian?
>>
I exercise proper hygiene.
>>
> get 3 error messages every time I start Linux
> my usb camera/microphone does not work with Linux
> sound volume is set to 100% at random times
> windows storage spaces enable advanced software RAID configurations even a monkey could configure
> Eclipse looks like shit on Linux
> no Visual Studio
> apt-get upgrade breaks applications and resets configurations

Don't get me wrong, I use it on my servers as easy to configure low resource using operating system. It's good for narrow, specialized usage. It's completely unsuitable for desktop usage though.
The idea of running a Windows VM is ridiculous, this leads to you having to maintain two operating systems at once.
>>
>>52058289
>libreoffice
>>
>>52058218
photoshop micro version
can't live without it
>>
>>52058218
I'd rather be a pirate than a nerd.
>>
>>52058218
Incompatibility.
>>
>WiFi
and
>anything about notebooks including but not limited to:
>WIFI
>battery life
>network card drivers
>yes that last one includes ethernet drivers :^)
>>
>>52058218

adobe photoshop
full disk encryption
thumbnail previews
>>
>>52058218
I'm 31 and I know how to use Windows very efficiently. If I switched to Linux it would be a long time getting adjusted and acquiring the right knowledge to get back to the level of productivity I am with Windows, and even then the gains would be minimal.

It's not worth it. I have better things to do.
>>
nothing.

School work can be done fom Libreoffice or LaTeX and everything else can be done in GNU/Linux. I don't play games too much except for emulators and brutal doom
>>
File: 1403178206460.jpg (35 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1403178206460.jpg
35 KB, 500x500
part-time job
>>
File: 1330924864679.jpg (24 KB, 543x499) Image search: [Google]
1330924864679.jpg
24 KB, 543x499
For work, Ms office and more importantly, compatibility with pos devices

Personally, video games

Although, my experience when running Mint for a year or so was it ran smoother with overall less issues, unfortunately I need my gaems
>>
Unix is shit from 40 years ago that sucked back then too.
>>
I do a lot of recording music... And by music I mean I use microphones on drum sets, guitar amps, etc. Not your shitty MIDI software synths.

With that being said most of the VST plugins I use don't work on Linux DAW's as well as most of my hardware doesn't have any kind of Linux support.

So I have a partition of Windows 7 that I use for all of my audio stuff and another with Linux that I use for everything else.
>>
TFW all of your hardware just werks with Ubuntu and your battery life is great, plus i can run shitty Windows only software on a VM so i don't have any issues.
Plus using Jetbrains IDEs and Matlab is just better, and i might learn to use Tensorflow.
>>
>>52058218
desktop:
>muh vidya
>no proper sound drivers
laptop/secondary desktop:
>work
>office
>linux runs like shit on macs
>>
>>52058308
>proprietary
It is not proprietary anymoar when I torrent it and patch it.

It became MY property.

Do you store food in your neckbeard?
>>
>>52058218
>What stops you from using linux full-time?
Linux
>>
Gaymes
>>
>>52058218
>games
>all the little programs that were made for windows and have no alternative
inb4 wine
Get fucked with your wine shit
>>
>>52063062
Wine?
>>
>>
I have a job, a car, and a house of my own.
>>
>>52070342
Faggot
>>
File: 1450837037416.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1200) Image search: [Google]
1450837037416.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1200
>>52058233
100% truth
>>
>>52070403
>Implying I can't have ll those while using GNU/Linux

Sure thing, Schlomo.
>>
>>52070433
Exactly.
>>
>>52070423
The last line is unnecessary but rest is accurate for that idiot who thinks he knows something about computers
>>
>>52070478
I've never heard anybody say any of these things.
>>
>>52070506
I already met people with those useless "advanced free care pro pc cleaner" software, who think kaspersky is the best anti virus, who try to find keys for pro versions of crapware and use all the mainstream shit programs (utorrent, daemon tools, kaspersky)
>>
>>52058218
I only have one chin.
>>
>>52065071
>Finishing college and getting a job makes you a drone
fix'd
>>
>>52058218
my stupid professor insist giving homeworks with .NET so i need to use winblows for visual studio.
>>
>>52058218
What linux distribution would you recommend me to watch anime with subtitles? I'm coming from windows, where everything is easy and straightforward.
>>
>>52071926
gentoo
>>
>>52058218
your mom
>>
>>52058218
Windows just werks, why switch?
>>
>>52058218
games
my sound driver doesnt work on linux and i like using audio
ive been using windows 7 since it came out and im too used to it to change
>>
every distro out there is fucking ugly and doesnt fit my taste and i really like the look of windows 7's aero theme
im too lazy to rice shit
if there is a distro that looks like windows xp i will switch immediately
>>
>>52058218
Im not autist
>>
>>52058218
Nothing.
>>
it just doesn't do what i want it to
>>
If there were a linux distro that worked flawlessly out of the box, I would only use linux. But there isn't, and there is always some feature or function that is diminished because of linux.
>>
>>52058218
Mostly the fact that I don't know the file system. My only Linux build is on a VM on an old server I only interact with through the windows RDC, so it runs too slow for me to really get a feel for it.

That, and I game a lot and am worried about compatibility.

Still though, having only used Ubuntu, I like what I see so far. The terminal is much easier to use than the command prompt.
>>
no thumbnails in gtk file picker after literally decades
>>
>>52074401
:^)
>>
>>52058308
Found the NEET
>>
>muh games
laziness
>>
WiFi drivers a shit
Can't use the internet at all
>Inb4 but wired is all you need anyway!
>>
Lack of support from adobe software. Literally the only reason
>>
>>52058218
I have a labtob linux can't be used in labtobs
>>
>>52058338
Not everyone who works with computers is a developer. Also, 90% of linux distros aren't free as in freedom.
>>
>>52074450
Cool VM, breh
>>
File: 「I don't know.」.png (102 KB, 792x844) Image search: [Google]
「I don't know.」.png
102 KB, 792x844
>>52058218
I have no idea. I've been running Debian Stretch on the laptop for three months now and literally everything has an alternative. Clementine and mpd are great, mpv is actually pretty good, fuck MS Office when free versions exist, and many more. I can't even say games anymore since I can just passthrough the cuck card to the main monitor or the TV and game from there. The only thing I might be picky about is emulation, specifically PS2 and Wii, but I'm talking out of my ass since I don't know how they fair through a VM or using Linux alternatives.
>>
The lack of visual studio and general application support
>>
>>52058233
Exactly
>>
>My sound keys don't work correctly
>For some reason it sounds different from Windows? Maybe some sort of bass-boost weirdness
>Skype is shit so talking with my gf is a pain
>I shamefully play league of legends when I'm not programming

I would make the switch but there's so much little shit like above that I have to keep it dual boot
>>
Ms office
Not having to worry about skiddies access my system without having to fix all the security issues myself
>>
>>52075256
Just stay in Windows you fucking normalfag.
>>
>>52075279
Am I supposed to be ashamed of not being autistic? I'm sorry I'm not a ricefag that watches anime all day but I have a lot of non-normalfag interests.
Unfortunately Linux doesn't work well enough for me out of the box (I COULD program and set up everything myself by why would I?) even though bash is infinitely better than windows bullshit (I use cygwin for 100% of my programming). The developer tools are the only thing Linux has going for it but when everything else is shit you really have to think about if it's really worth it
>>
no drivers
>>
>>52069118
bait
>>
>>52071926
Watching TV shows is irrelevant to choosing an OS. I am pretty sure any OS that can download a media player package can play anime with subtitles.

I'm guessing Linux Mint can help with that. Media players like mpv, smplayer, parole (xfce group) should do the job.

Other than that, install gentoo.
>>
Office, and abap development
>>
>>52059641
holy shit you're retarded
using a package manager for software installation is fucking hundreds time easier than anything windows ever did. it's one of the primary REASONS to use linux.

Installing software on Debian:
>read about software
>sudo apt-get install software
>done

Installing software on Windows:
>read about software
>google software
>load up website
>find download link
>find CORRECT download link
>open file manager
>double click suspect_installer.exe
>run through menial installer, unchecking bullshit and choosing the installation path because changing the default one is near-impossible and even when you do it's fucking bullshit and breaks other shit
>done

Literally only a retard would prefer the second way. like the only downside is aptitude sometimes fucking up dependencies, but even then it's because you fucked with the sources.list or because some numbfuck packagemanager managed to fuck something up, and EVEN THEN it's always easily fixable.
>>
>>52060813
>using skype
It's not even about giving your infos to Microsoft, though that as well.
Skype is just all through a regular piece of shit software, on windows as well.
Slow as fuck, hogs resources like a beast, holy shit that unintuitive UI, insane lack of options, advertisements, insane audio delay, average audio quality, requires sign-up, ugly af.
When using it you also have the added benefit of supporting some really anti-consumer practices.
There are tons of better alternatives out there, if your friends wont switch then switch friends.
>>
>>52058308
It amazes me the kind of mental gymnastics some of you guys put yourselves through to convince yourselves that there aren't legitimate reasons to keep Windows.
>>
>>52076078
>>run through menial installer, unchecking bullshit and choosing the installation path because changing the default one is near-impossible and even when you do it's fucking bullshit and breaks other shit

That goes under linux you autist.
>>
I do use GNU+linux full time. I switched from 7 to debian a year ago, and after a short period of fixing stuff and setting it up, I've never looked back.

>no viruses ever
>never lags ever
>never use over 1GB ram (on average 500MB)
>free as in freedom
>customizable
>can into command line (feels great)
>i3 is such a great experience
>>
>>52076297
??????????????????????????????

I've used linux fulltime for almost 2 years, and 2 years on my laptop before that, and I've never had to run through an installation menu to install linux native software.

Every single time I've ever had to do any self-configuration on self-compiled software it has been for hobby-projects doing shit that you can't do on windows anyway, so no point in windows' favor here.

Changing default installation path is not something there's ever a reason to do in linux for software that you didn't self-compile, and when you self-compile you choose installation path anyway.

Point is I've never *had* to self-compile, only for some really fucking stupid projects I've had.
>>
File: 1451084193622.png (674 KB, 1516x1600) Image search: [Google]
1451084193622.png
674 KB, 1516x1600
Some video games that I play won't actually work on that OS, which is why I just simply use Windows instead
>>
File: 1444087930397.gif (1 MB, 520x375) Image search: [Google]
1444087930397.gif
1 MB, 520x375
>>52076078
Installing software on Windows:
>read about software
>google and download software in matter of 10 seconds because i'm not a technology illiterate freetard
>pick and choose my options
>done

Installing software on Linux:
>read about software
>sudo apt-get install software
>lolno you installed something else because it had the name before the more popular program you tried to install
>sudo apt-get install misnamedsoftware
>lol it's installed, you get no options because fuck you
>choosing the installation path is nigh impossible without going through a ton of bullshit and downloading the fucking source, learning how to program, deciphering the autismlord dev's code, finding the option, and changing it
>only to find that it completely breaks the program because it depended on hardcoded paths
>provided the installer works at all, and hasn't been abandoned or the rpm doesn't even point to the correct download location, forcing you to manually unpack the installer, look up the download server, figure out it's pointing to a file that doesn't exist on the server anymore, and then wasting another half hour trying to find the exact URL of the newest version to inject back into the installer and repackaging it to get a single fucking program to install
>done
>it doesn't even work as well as the windows version
>>
>>52076435
yeah none of that actually happens. you install with package manager, it's installed, then you run it

>apt-get
>the rpm
you clearly have never used the gnu operating system
>>
>>52076435
>you get no options because fuck you
>what is "man software" look for .cfg files

>choosing the installation path on software you don't have a reason to compile yourself
WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?
DOING THIS ON WINDOWS MAKES SENSE BECAUSE WINDOWS AUTOMATICALLY WANTS TO INSTALL ON YOUR SYSTEM DRIVE WHICH MAKES NO FUCKING SENSE.
On Linux you set this shit on system installation. If you want files somewhere else do a fucking symlink.

>windows version
Yeah, probably because theres a better alternative out there that you're too stupid to look for.

Holy shit, I haven't browsed /g/ since high-school, I realized why.

If you aren't willing to spend the MINIMAL required energy to understand the OS you're switching to, then yeah, Linux isn't for you.

holy shit
>>
File: BnzbTOBIcAEf9ZV.jpg (51 KB, 599x461) Image search: [Google]
BnzbTOBIcAEf9ZV.jpg
51 KB, 599x461
>>52071669
A drone with money and bitches.
>>
>>52076188
When you press the X button on the window, it just minimizes.

WHY THE FUCK ARE THERE TWO BUTTONS FOR MINIMIZE?
>>
>>52076435
>wasting another half hour trying to find the exact URL of the newest version to inject back into the installer and repackaging it to get a single fucking program to install

Had this exact shit happen last time I gave linux a shot.

>linux
>try to install chocolate doom port or whatever it's called just to see how well it would run
>go through all this bullshit and fix basic OS functionality yourself because this is a hobby OS, with a repo maintained by hobbyists

>windows
>unzip doom95.zip
>run
>>
>>52058218
Useful, fully functioning, updated and supported software.
>>
>>52076435
I feel sorry for you, and everyone else who fell for the "linux is easy" meme.

You don't need to be a hacker1337programmer to use linux that's true. You DO need to be able to use google and willing to understand that using linux is different from using windows. I'm willing to bet that a majority of the people who have tried linux and now spend their days talking shit, tried using linux without realizing that learning to use a new OS requires some time spent learning the habits and rules of a new system.
It's the same shit if you go from win -> osx, only osx has so much great UX that it softens the getting used to it.
>>
>>52070423
Actually kek'd.
Those were the true struggles when I was 12.
>>
>>52058218

elgato driver not being past alpha yet on the linux github
>>
>>52071669
>Couldn't afford college
>>
I actually have stuff to do.
>>
>>52067719
all of those work on loonix you stupid fuck
>>
File: 11alive-Chris-Holcomb.jpg (9 KB, 210x230) Image search: [Google]
11alive-Chris-Holcomb.jpg
9 KB, 210x230
>>52058218
That guy sort of looks like my weatherman.
>>
gaems
>>
File: 1422512859323.jpg (24 KB, 320x457) Image search: [Google]
1422512859323.jpg
24 KB, 320x457
Because it doesn't have MSOffice. That's my father's reason, and it's just that simple and legitimate.

He's a CPA and has used Office since 95. He uses pivot tables, vlookups, and various other shit I've never even heard of. There's absolutely no alternative, period.

He also isn't mentally handicapped and has never gotten a virus since W7 unlike the vast majority of /g/, who downloads every exe they find off blogs, install it while ignoring the huge Windows warning message, and then proceed to call the OS insecure.
>>
File: 1261046567652.png (288 KB, 355x663) Image search: [Google]
1261046567652.png
288 KB, 355x663
having tried linux in VM for the past 2 weeks from a perfected windows 7 install I can tell you all the pros and cons:

PROS:

- you become very familiar with how an operating system is made and functions

- fonts, reading text in linux is much better and clearer

- doesnt use as much resources if you use a non-gui enviornment which YOU SHOULD be using if you are running linux

- faster to access files and folders if using terminal and CLI

- more customisability

- very fun to use and learn about

- best software for programming, managing walls of text...anything with CLI and text linux is absolutely unbeatable

- built like a brick in terms of stability

CONS

- one wrong command can break your system. issuing a command to see what it does only to find it didn't do what you wanted it to then spending 10 hours trying to find how to undo what you just did. cant even try software safely without it leaving cheese dust dependancies all throughout your system

- too intergrated into the internet and entirely dependant on having a internet connection, cant do jack all without it as you need wikis and other things to do anything. man pages are useless. not suitable for offline use at ALL

- horrible confusing file trees, home/blahblah/thissucks.cfg, abyssmal if you dont have a gui or file manager

- cant run games

- all GUI's for linux are ugly, bloated and slow, XSERVER IS GARBAGE

- timesink, you trade your precious time for more customisability and freedom to do what you want

- drivers

- office and production software is terrible
>>
>>52076956
he might not have any system breaking viruses, but he sure as hell has some private info leaked on at least a couple russian/chinese forums. it's pretty much impossible to use windows without having some amount of spyware, even if you're the bestest most pro computer user
>>
File: 1428132792537.jpg (236 KB, 709x720) Image search: [Google]
1428132792537.jpg
236 KB, 709x720
>>52077009
>it's pretty much impossible to use windows without having some amount of spyware

Freetards, ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>52077009
>it's pretty much impossible to use windows without having some amount of spyware, even if you're the bestest most pro computer user
Thanks for confirming my father's more computer literate than you are.
>>
>>52076981
I agree with you mostly, but

>one wrong command etc. etc.
there are ways to do virtualization / sandbox out there, i get it's not a great solution, but if this is a regular problem, or you need this functionality then you can get it

>too integrated into the internet etc.
Depends on what you want to use your machine for. Also, man pages aren't useless, but you need some expertise to be able to open some random software's man page and get useful information from it.

>cant run games
Depends on your needs.

>all GUI's etc.
Yeah, all ootb GUI's are nasty. If you spend some time you can customize it to some pretty good stuff though, but now we're hitting the "linux is a hobby" sphere. also xorg is pretty good considering its like 20 years old, but yeah holy fuck i'm tired of fixing problems with x.

>timesink
A lot of that time is a one-time cost though, just like learning windows for the first time.

>drivers
All too true my man, getting better though.
>>
File: afterexams.jpg (55 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
afterexams.jpg
55 KB, 700x394
>>52058218
Thirty plus hours of class time plus an additional minimum of thirty plus hours of study time per week leaves zero time to fiddlefuck around with a new operating system.

I'll learn it when I'm done school and have the time and energy to deal with it.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.