[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Old cpu tread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 9
File: cpu.png (45 KB, 405x393) Image search: [Google]
cpu.png
45 KB, 405x393
Who else here uses old cpus?
what is your opinion on using older hardware?
If you are using old stuff how long will you plan on using it?

my main rig uses pic related and its holding up surprisingly well
server is running c2d @2.4ghz I should upgrade it
>>
>>52056894
Phenom II x4 965 @ 3.4ghz here (shit motherboard can't overclock)

Would an FX-6300 be much of an increase in gaming performance?
>>
>>52056924
performance increase would be small as phenom II and fx cpu have essentially same per hz performance.
Only games that use 6 cores would benefit or if you do something heavy on background.
>>
Old enough?

>what is your opinion on using older hardware?
I can't afford wasting money on new stuff so I'm bound to bound to the old crap.

>If you are using old stuff how long will you plan on using it?
Probably 2-3 years more.
>>
>>52057004
wow, thats pretty old.
How smooth is internet browsing?
>>
File: phenom.png (35 KB, 636x184) Image search: [Google]
phenom.png
35 KB, 636x184
Phenom II x6 here, been treating me fine, I only do basic things so I don't really have a reason to upgrade, but I still will once the new amd processors drop.
>>
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz
>>
Thuban master race checking in.
>>
>>52057086
>95W phenom II x6
im jellly
>>
File: negro the creator.png (54 KB, 202x200) Image search: [Google]
negro the creator.png
54 KB, 202x200
>>52057054
6/10 its aight, I've browsed on machines considerably slower than mine.

The only sites that seriously tax it are of course CPU (it stutters when scrolling YT page during playback) and other graphically intensive gimmick sites (like a game, or drawing site), so i try to avoid them.

Besides that I only noticed general slowdowns when doing a lot of stuff at once.
I'm a med student so let's be honest my uni related work is usually limited to a word processor and a browser.

But recently I was doing a presentation on advanced airway management and having Firefox, LO Writer, LO Impress and few PDFs opened and switching between all of these all the time and I noticed I could really use a faster machine at the moment.

I don't really have a use for a powerful GPU, so a recent Intel CPU with a decent iGPU would be enough.
But I'm poor af.
>>
>>52057215
familiar situation, my rig is from when i last time had money to spare.
ever considered buying used parts? I got my server with 500gb hdd and 4gb ram for 40€ so i dont think used i5/3 would be too expensive.
>>
>>52057311
>ever considered buying used parts?
It's a laptop bruh
>>
>>52057330
fug, didn't notice
>>
File: IMG_20151224_024724[1].jpg (3 MB, 2160x3840) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151224_024724[1].jpg
3 MB, 2160x3840
Upper one is running:

>Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 3ghz
>Asus P5K LGA775
>Samsung DDR2, 4 x 2 gb @ 800 mhz
>XFX HD 7870 Core edition
>Maxtor 250gb HDD (shit's from 2006 or so)
>Corsair CX430
>Cooler Master Elite 310 case

It originally had a Core 2 Duo E6750 and 2gb of Kingston Value Ram DDR 2 @ 667, then I added a two sticks of Hyper X 1gb 1066. Originally the computer had those 2 gigs of ram for a long time. I got memed by the internet and in search of higher fps in WoW I bought 2 gigs of kingston hyper X and replaced the slower ram with them. I didn't know they don't automatically clock that high. Even if I had overclocked the memory I wouldn't have gotten any improvement in performance. So, disappointed with having no gains in gaming performance, I took them off (I think I thought they made my system unstable) and put them away. They were in my computer parts box for years to come. I used this computer as a media PC, connected to my TV. It used to run XP for a long time, until I upgraded to 64 bit windows 7. The computer had issues with performance, so in 2014 I decided to put the extra ram in there to see if it works. It worked beautifully, and with an SSD that I later added to it, it browsed the internet beautifully and played almost every media without any problems.

Just like a month or two ago I had an idea, I would search ebay for a Q6600. That used to be the processor I wanted for it, but couldn't afford. I did find Q6600s but I also found a very well priced Q8300. I bought it in an instant and put it in the computer. That sparked a new idea, maybe I could push this computer into running modern games. So I installed BF4 and it did eventually load. It ran very badly because the memory capped at 4gb. I contacted the seller of the CPU and asked if he had any ddr2, he sold used computer parts online. Just my luck, he did. 8 gigs of samsung DDR2. I bought them too instantly, and while the price was a little salty, I couldn't have gotten a better deal.
>>
>>52057330
Portege r800 would have an second gen i5 for about 200 used.
>>
>>52057359
and of course.
The last time I bought a new piece of technology was my HDD, because I don't see a point in buying used ones.
Otherwise, I haven't bought anything new in the last decade i think
>>
Still running a phenom II x4 955. When Zen or Zen+ land I may upgrade but I'll probably just keep this one rolling as an HTPC. I can't retire it when it's still so useful.
>>
File: 1.jpg (87 KB, 419x424) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
87 KB, 419x424
Can play somewhat newer games on acceptable settings with acceptable fps.

I could probably OC it higher if it weren't for my shitty ram.

Solid CPU, 8,5/10.

I'm upgrading to a 6700k next month.
>>
>>52057373

Continuing:

Battlefield 4 actually stated and loaded within an almost acceptable time. Too long for a main computer, but for this old beast running tech from 2008 (apart from the GPU) it was amazing to see everything firing up. The framerates are still bad, around 30 and explosions freeze the game. I suspect the super old HDD is causing this, because the processor isn't even running at 100% and the GPU has yielded better results in a different system. I'm going to buy a new SSD for this computer even though I don't even use it. I just want to see it run something it's not designed to run. I'm pretty sure the framerates will benefit from it, even though technically it should be running fine after everything is loaded into the RAM. If it doesn't work I'll just jam the SSD in to my laptop which I've been meaning to equip with an SSD anyway.

Everything is there otherwise. It's clocked to 3 ghz, FSB set to 400, which is limited by the ram that's 800mhz. Can't bother overclocking ram from an old HP desktop computer. It has 8gb of it, plenty enough. GPU is still okay, it's the minimum requirement for FO4.
>>
I'm running an old 2011 Xeon x5687 overclocked to 4.7ghz. Its a beast and it cost me all of £60. I don't understand why they're not more popular
>>
>>52057373
>>52057486
>>52057742
>OLD
Could you please fuck off.
4 year old build and a build capable of running battlefield 4 is not old by any means at all
>>
File: ds.png (22 KB, 784x501) Image search: [Google]
ds.png
22 KB, 784x501
This one's pretty old.

>If you are using old stuff how long will you plan on using it?

Until it dies, obv.

But its an office desktop and just NOT meant to work as a server, it soaks up energy and turns my bedroom into a furnace... I'd replace it with something like a NUC, but I don't want the hardware to go to waste. Kind of a dilemma.
>>
>>52057847
My e8500 can run BF4 and its almost 8 years old m8
>>
>>52057847
Thanks for contributing :^)
>>
Phenom II X4 955 here. Still works fine for gaming but my videocard is also old (Radeon HD 5770) so that's much more of a bottleneck. I'm going to wait and see if AMD can pull off Zen before I upgrade. Also, the 14/16nm finfet GPUs are coming out this year as well so that would be a big upgrade over my 40nm card.
>>
File: cpu.png (54 KB, 1276x626) Image search: [Google]
cpu.png
54 KB, 1276x626
>>52056894
Home server, using one of those desktop pentium m motherboards. Mostly keeps a session of irssi running, also a small minecraft server. Sorry for the shit font, connecting from windows with putty as I've been playing some Just cause today.
>>
I7 860 here.
Clocked at 4.2ghz still going strong.
Might upgrade to skylake if Intel doesn't lock down on non k overclocking.
>>
>>52057373

e5450 (e0) or x5460(e0)
>>
File: cpuz.jpg (131 KB, 806x402) Image search: [Google]
cpuz.jpg
131 KB, 806x402
>>52056894
I use a old GPU. Does that count?
I plan on using it until Greenland comes out.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.